Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Neil Young talks Horse Shissle

C2E Continued Contributor

I fundamentally disagree with Neil Young regarding the oilsands. That being said, if you consider critical acclaim, longevity, international exposure and commercial success, along with pure absolute talent and entertainment value I would argue that Neil Young is the greatest Canadian artist of any genre of all time.

^Did your forget Celine Dion.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

C2E Hard Core Contributor

^HaHa you're kidding, right?

C2E Super Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post

Or Justin Bieber.
    "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, it’s not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

^^No I aint. I don't dislike Young's music but he is definitely not the most internationally know artist. How about Michael J. Fox, Guess Who, Michael Buble, William Shatner, Shania Twain. There are numerous more.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post

Or Justin Bieber.
    Shush, we are trying to disown him.

Numerous artists have flashed brighter for a short time and some may have greater international exposure but I think if you look at all the factors listed Neil stands above them.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph60 View Post
    Numerous artists have flashed brighter for a short time and some may have greater international exposure but I think if you look at all the factors listed Neil stands above them.
    k.d. lang, Leonard Cohen.

Young's just running on fumes from his long past hits. Anything he has done lately is just regurgitated stuff from the 70's.

Young's long been history now. Move over for Quebec Elvis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VwWRpIinxs

Neil Young uses Harpers Government to drum up business for his fake tour protesting the oil industry. He is ticked off blah, blah, blah, but by the way I have a concert coming up, tickets anyone. He's no expert on anything. What a phoney. It would be like Flaherty asking Justin Bieber for advice on the economy.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/neil-yo...ands-1.1635644

C2E Super Addict

Neil Young uses Harpers Government to drum up business for his fake tour protesting the oil industry. He is ticked off blah, blah, blah, but by the way I have a concert coming up, tickets anyone. He's no expert on anything. What a phoney. It would be like Flaherty asking Justin Bieber for advice on the economy.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/neil-yo...ands-1.1635644
    Admit it, you're just p!ssed off he's not doing one of these benefit gigs in Edmonton...

Neil Young 2014 Tour Dates:
    1/12 – Toronto, Canada
    1/16 – Winnipeg, Canada
    1/17 – Regina, Canada
    1/19 – Calgary, Canada

"The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, it’s not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

^Nope. If he was playing in my back yard I would turn the hose on him then phone the cops to let them know someone is impersonating an entertainer and charging chumps money.

It would be like Flaherty asking Justin Bieber for advice on the economy.
    No fan of Bieber but last time I checked he wasn't running deficits. Maybe Flaherty should talk to him.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Young's long been history now. Move over for Quebec Elvis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VwWRpIinxs
    Wow!

Neil Young, going senile? I doubt he will help anyone's cause, maybe hurt it. Same with Suzuki, I don't think he's taken very seriously anymore either.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph60 View Post

Nickleback

Umm Nickelback's 15 minutes of fame seem to be up, the only comparable people might be Burton Cummings or Randy Bachmann. I might not like Neil's stance on a few issues but he has had a very successful career in spite of his whiny voice.

To me because of Neil's political leanings he fails to acknowledge that while we have problems at least Canada and Alberta are trying to have reasonable solutions. We need oil, there is currently no other more concentrated form of energy around except nuclear power. Alternate energy forms will not replace oil until we have a more efficient method of storing electricity.

PS: I wonder how much fossil fuels Neil's entourage will use getting from concert to concert?

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2014/01...t-on-oilsands/

Young & Suzuki. Between the two of them they probably have a carbon footprint of a small town. What with their many homes their constant air travel and generation of their own hot air they are a prime example of people who live in glass houses.

P/S http://www.sodahead.com/fun/why-does...stion-1454661/

Oil companies make our rivers better with chemistry...

Who cares what Neil Young is, does or says? By the same token, who cares what the PMO is, does or says? The PMO is not Parliament. Let's not focus on the people but rather the issues. C2E is supposed to be about the facts not attacking people whether you agree with them or not.

Is the Athabasca river basin being polluted by industry at a rate that is toxic to fish, the ecology and the people who use it as a source of their drinking water?
    Are the Alberta and Federal governments taking enough care and due diligence to ensure that the river and ground water is monitored regularly, the findings made public and open to proper scientific scrutiny?
    Are there proper controls on polluters to monitor their activities of the total toxic load being discharged, appropriate standards set, violators charged & prosecuted and proper remediation taken?
    Are the health and wellness of the people in the affected communities being monitored and are given the same level of health care as others in the province?
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 14-01-2014 at 07:58 AM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Al Gore lived one lifestyle while 'promoting' a different lifestyle for the poor.

Quite successful and I presume near as wealthy Neil Young apparently owns a number of ranches. In one picture I see cows, so I wonder if these are active ranches.

For certain, far poorer me, owns a relatively minuscule lakeside property. It's made up of a couple pioneer farms. We used to run a few cattle on the property to reduce the fire hazard and then switched to a few horses. For the last few years nothing. So for the past 70 years our family has essentially been allowing the property to naturalize. The farm fields are half or less their original size and trees cover 90% of the land (land that was logged early in the last century). Beavers have blocked the creek and flooded acres of land - as "nature" meant it. So we're doing our part - and forever paying the commensurately higher taxes for the "privilege."

The thing is, over the decades, one of the biggest causes of poor if not toxic creek water and lake water leading to toxic algae blooms killing fish, birds, pets, etc. has been the runoff fertilizer and manure from upstream farms and ranches.

There's things you can lobby for but there are often things you can do directly to improve the environment like buying land directly and protecting it and naturalizing it. Talk is cheaper, and for some of these guys it's self-promoting too. It's just good business for them.

That said, is Neil Young removing his land from production or continuing to do environmental damage by not letting nature restore his lands to a natural state?

Actually, Neil Young could even donate his lands to the Nature Conservancy. I've donated to them.
    (Unfortunately, while the Canadian one is apparently good, the US one was corrupt. I imagine it might be good now.)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...062600880.html
    http://www.logos4me.com/Investment%2...0Practices.htm
    Last edited by KC; 14-01-2014 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    The thing is, over the decades, one of the biggest causes of poor if not toxic creek water and lake water leading to toxic algae blooms killing fish, birds, pets, etc. has been the runoff fertilizer and manure from upstream farms and ranches.
    Indeed. Hippies don't acknowledge that they pollute and destroy environments as well, they just do in different ways.

And yes, keeping cattle ranches (or other farms) instead of letting the land revert to a wilderness state is environmentally-unfriendly too. Neil Young should raise bison on his ranches and let them go wild if he cares so much about the environment.

Maybe we are supposed to assume that he is.

I also have a Ford Excursion V10. I bought it used. We use it as a tow vehicle and put maybe 1,000 km on it a year on average. Zero trips in 2012, one 500km trip in 2013. If I hadn't bought it, it would more likely have been a daily driver for someone thus causing far more pollution. So I've successfully sequestered a whole lot of 'potential' pollution. So there folks is another way you can help the environment - buy up the offending vehicles rather than let them be sold to someone who will use them to destroy our world.
    Last edited by KC; 14-01-2014 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hull534 View Post

By my rough estimations , BC has also has about an equivalent amount of SQ Km of open pit coal mines as the total oil sands mined area .
    What fits into the Oil Sands mines?
    http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...reply&p=573207

'Oh, oh, if this is correct, this would be a fact that should never be allowed to get out' - would be the response in a lot of other parts of the world that are protesting the oil sands. Farmed land, mined land, areas decimated by hydro dams, urban sprawl... It all destroys the natural environment and protestors often don't want to look in their own backyards. eg. Our mining activities cause the death of several hundred ducks and the international media covers it, while Toronto quietly gets away with killing millions!

Last edited by KC; 19-01-2014 at 07:43 AM.

Addicted to C2E

Default #myhiroshima

An interesting and some what effective social media response from Fort McMurray residents to the discussion. It will be interesting to watch this.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin..._lsa=738a-4a0a

C2E Posting Power

I don't think anyone is trying to claim the oilsands are exactly a model of clean, picturesque resource development. But my biggest annoyance with celebrities and groups like the Sierra Club bashing the oilsands is the exaggeration of the facts. Yes it is damaging to the land and not exactly great for the air and water in the area. But what is so often ignored are the extreme steps that oil companies and the government take towards mitigating the damage and investing in new technologies that reduce the impact in the first place. It is by no means perfect of course, but there are immense amounts of money and effort spent on doing the best job that can be done.

And yet there are countless examples worldwide of equally (or worse) polluting human activities. There is a single coal power plant in China that produces more greenhouse gas emissions than all the oilsand mining and processing activities in Alberta. And that's just one of countless coal plants in China, for which few measures are taken to prevent environmental damage. There are many more such examples worldwide, and yet you don't see Neil Young or Robert Redford comparing them to Hiroshima....

I would also like one of these celebrities to tell us what we're exactly suppose to do when we shut down the oilsands. Methinks there would be profound social and economic repercussions worldwide to putting hundreds of thousands of people (if not more) out of work and cutting the world off from one of the largest supplies of oil. I think it's great of Neil Young to stand up for something he believes, and to want something better. I just wish the discussion was based a little more on fact rather than unreasonable demands and exaggerations.
    Last edited by halocore; 20-01-2014 at 01:31 AM.

The last thing worth commenting on is what any celebrity thinks about anything. That being said I just heard an anti Neil Young radio ad on CHED paid for by Ethical Oil which makes me think Mr. Young might have sent a pebble into the oil lobby windshield.
    It was also one of the funniest things I've ever heard.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Come on, folks. Quit picking on Neil Young and his supporters on this forum.

We all have to admit that Fort McMurray is a blight on Alberta and Canada with it's "dirty oil."

We should be ashamed that we don't have clean oil like the American producers...

Like BP...

Of course we all know why Neil wouldn't show his face around the Gulf...

"Southern Man don't need him 'round, anyhow."
    Last edited by BoyleStreetBoy; 26-04-2014 at 12:40 PM.
    ˙
    ...From this ragged handful of tents and cabins one day will rise a city...

Now we have Leonard DiCaprio weighing in on our oil sands. He's doing a documentary called 'Carbon'. Apparently it's about the planet in general. Can't really call him out on it as nobody is going to know how he is going to portray the area. He's been in the area since Tuesday. Well, at least it's not a biatch and run fest like that of Neil Young. Oh, and my oh my, DiCaprio is a lot easier on the eyes that ole leather Neil Young.

Could be wrong, but it's probably going to be another hatchet job. Between Robert Redford, Neil Young, James Cameron, Desmond Tutu, and others, you just know how this latest foray is going to turn out.

No thumbs up.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now. He will show the down side but if he is going to be fair he should also show the land reclamation side etc. As for problems with the water. I should imagine a lot of that oil seeps naturally underground and into the water systems. There is also a lot of farm land south of the oil sands. More than likely a lot of herbicides in that water as well. Ft. Chip is 220 miles from Ft. Mc. That's a lot of miles and a lot of farm land the river has to pass. Hopefully (hopefully) DeCaprio's documentary is a lot more balanced than any other of the doofuses who have came up here, shat, then went back to their high lives in Hollywood.

The protests and bad PR might work out quite well for us. The less we develop now, the more we'll have to sell in the future - possibly at astronomically high prices.

And how did he get here? Walk?

Not bloody likely! Hypocrites!

Edit: On second thought, I shouldn't be so quick to pooh-pooh these self-aggrandizers. Like KC says, it might put some brakes on the out of control boom/bust cycle. The last one drove the cost of living high and resident working stiffs like you and me felt the pinch, not the carpetbaggers.
    Last edited by BoyleStreetBoy; 23-08-2014 at 02:28 PM.
    ˙

Quote Originally Posted by BoyleStreetBoy View Post
    And how did he get here? Walk?

Not bloody likely! Hypocrites!

Edit: On second thought, I shouldn't be so quick to pooh-pooh these self-aggrandizers. Like KC says, it might put some brakes on the out of control boom/bust cycle. The last one drove the cost of living high and resident working stiffs like you and me felt the pinch, not the carpetbaggers.
    Yeah, you can live here and become substantially worse off as a result of a boom or bubble.

I didn’t mention it in my Saturday column, since I wasn’t aware of this when I wrote it, but DiCaprio and 21 of his friends recently used one of the world’s largest superyachts, an energy-guzzling 482-foot behemoth called the Topaz, in order to watch the recent World Cup in Brazil in high style.
    The yacht is the 5th largest in the world, according to news reports, and is owned by Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Deputy Prime Minister of the oil-rich United Arab Emirates. That’s right. It’s oil money that paid for the fancy yacht that Leo and his pals used to watch the World Cup.
    http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...on-both-sides/

Well well, my my. DiCaprio is a wolf in sheep's clothing. Look who he hangs around with.

If I were an oil rich sheik in Saudi I would pay good money to a celeb to support derailing of projects in direct competition that could substantionally affect my bottom line. If I were shipping oil to the gulf coast to be refined and said competitor had plans to supply the refineries thru a new pipeline with so called domestic feedstock I would support my friends efforts. Adds new light perhaps?

I didn’t mention it in my Saturday column, since I wasn’t aware of this when I wrote it, but DiCaprio and 21 of his friends recently used one of the world’s largest superyachts, an energy-guzzling 482-foot behemoth called the Topaz, in order to watch the recent World Cup in Brazil in high style.
    The yacht is the 5th largest in the world, according to news reports, and is owned by Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Deputy Prime Minister of the oil-rich United Arab Emirates. That’s right. It’s oil money that paid for the fancy yacht that Leo and his pals used to watch the World Cup.
    http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...on-both-sides/

Well well, my my. DiCaprio is a wolf in sheep's clothing. Look who he hangs around with.
    Yeah, as you pointed out above, are people jumping to conclusions on him being anti-oil sands? Maybe he's pro, or neutral.

Apparently Neil Young has taken up with Daryl Hannah and split with Pegi, his wife of nearly forty years

^wow, no way? She gets arrested protested Keystone, and he protests now the Oil Sands - his actions of late all making more sense.

Hollyweirdo's.

He calls issues involving pipelines "scabs on our lives," and says Canadians must band together to ensure their constitution includes the right to live in a healthy environment.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...701/story.html

There back spewing their nonsense.

Hypocrites in the finest.

Put your money and effort into progressing green technology, not insulting those that rely on oil because they don't have access to affordable or non-existing alternatives.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

OK, let's take away the subsidies given to oil & gas and give it instead to wind & solar. What's that? We can't afford to do that?

How's that multi-billion dollar carbon capture boondoggle working out for you?

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    OK, let's take away the subsidies given to oil & gas and give it instead to wind & solar. What's that? We can't afford to do that?
    Yip, what subsidies are they talking about? Not only is there corporate tax, payroll tax (on those workers making big bucks), property tax (a lot more than people realize), but there are also royalties, all of which the government is making a small fortune from. If they want to make the field even, then the province needs to start charging wind and sunlight royalties.

^A lot of those workers getting paid big bucks work a 12 hour day seven days a week. They are away from their families for days/weeks at a time. They work in very extreme weather in not so nice terrain. They live in trailers, motels, camps. Meanwhile as you sharpen your pencil at work.................

You guys badly need a lesson in logic 101.

"Ad hominem tu quoque (literally: "You also") refers to a claim that the source making the argument has spoken or acted in a way inconsistent with the argument. In particular, if Source A criticizes the actions of Source B, a tu quoque response is that Source A has acted in the same way. This argument is fallacious because it does not disprove the argument; if the premise is true then Source A may be a hypocrite, but this does not make the statement less credible from a logical perspective. Indeed, Source A may be in a position to provide personal testimony to support the argument.

For example, a father may tell his son not to start smoking as he will regret it when he is older, and the son may point out that his father is or was a smoker. This does not alter the fact that his son may regret smoking when he is older."

Neil Young may contribute to the oilsands destroying the environment, but that does not mean he is incorrect in saying we should stop letting the oilsands destroy the environment.

Can we please get back to the facts and stop this mindless blathering?

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    Yip, what subsidies are they talking about? Not only is there corporate tax, payroll tax (on those workers making big bucks), property tax (a lot more than people realize), but there are also royalties, all of which the government is making a small fortune from. If they want to make the field even, then the province needs to start charging wind and sunlight royalties.
    You'd think an accountant would be aware of the pittance royalties we're getting for the product...? Shill accountants maybe not...
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

OK

Direct transfers are the easiest to calculate, since these are clearly documented in government budgets. The novelty checks are also helpful in this regard. There are few of these transfers in the oil and gas industry in Alberta.

Unequal tax treatment is more difficult to assess. The two types of programs most often cited are enhanced tax credits for exploration and development expenses and accelerated capital cost allowance programs. Both of these may increase the after-tax value of oil and gas projects, relative to projects with the same costs and revenues in another sector, depending of course on the tax relief programs from which that other sector benefits. The International Institute for Sustainable Development, in a 2010 report, estimated that the Canadian federal government allows the oil industry to claim special tax deductions and exemptions, over and above standard corporate income tax deductions, worth $1.4 billion per year.

Should these tax credits count as subsidies? It depends on your perspective. Some, including Jack Mintz of the University of Calgary, argue correctly that oil and gas exploration is risky and taxing risky investments at the same rate as low-risk ones would discourage these activities. You can also make the case that research and development activities are risky, and so should benefit from enhanced tax relief. Further, if tax credits increase the value of an oil play, then that increased value should be reflected in lease and land sale prices. If so, only firms drilling on land leased or purchased before drilling credits were announced are subsidized.

Should the tax system be used to level the risks between investment opportunities or to advance a set of goals? If you believe that it shouldn’t, then profits should be taxed at the same rate across all industries, and any industry-specific tax credit is a subsidy. The value of goods and services sold by governments to firms at below market value is most difficult to assess. Imagine if the government were leasing office space to your least favorite industry at half the market rate charged for similar space from commercial providers. You would likely scream and yell that the industry should not be subsidized if it can’t pay its own rent. Well, what’s good for the goose is good for the gander.

Andrew Leach is an Associate Professor at the Alberta School of Business. He blogs on energy, environment, and oil sands issues at http://www.andrewleach.ca and is on Twitter @andrew_leach

http://www.albertaoilmagazine.com/20...centives-work/

Quote Originally Posted by Jaerdo View Post
    You guys badly need a lesson in logic 101.

"Ad hominem tu quoque (literally: "You also") refers to a claim that the source making the argument has spoken or acted in a way inconsistent with the argument. In particular, if Source A criticizes the actions of Source B, a tu quoque response is that Source A has acted in the same way. This argument is fallacious because it does not disprove the argument; if the premise is true then Source A may be a hypocrite, but this does not make the statement less credible from a logical perspective. Indeed, Source A may be in a position to provide personal testimony to support the argument.

For example, a father may tell his son not to start smoking as he will regret it when he is older, and the son may point out that his father is or was a smoker. This does not alter the fact that his son may regret smoking when he is older."

Neil Young may contribute to the oilsands destroying the environment, but that does not mean he is incorrect in saying we should stop letting the oilsands destroy the environment.

Can we please get back to the facts and stop this mindless blathering?
    When Neil Young stands up to make a speech he does not start of with 'First of all I would like you to know I am one of the worst individual offenders of climate pollution'. I don't think Al Gore or the rest of the hypocrites do. They just point fingers at the rest of us then leave in their tour buses to go to the airport where they get on a private jet to return to their 15,000 thousand square foot home where they had to chop down a small forest to accommodate it and displaced all the wildlife in the area.
    No, nothing wrong with their logic.

When Neil Young stands up to make a speech he does not start of with 'First of all I would like you to know I am one of the worst individual offenders of climate pollution'. I don't think Al Gore or the rest of the hypocrites do. They just point fingers at the rest of us then leave in their tour buses to go to the airport where they get on a private jet to return to their 15,000 thousand square foot home where they had to chop down a small forest to accommodate it and displaced all the wildlife in the area.
    Did you not read the post? No, there is nothing wrong with Young's logic. There is something wrong with your logic. You are committing something called a "Tu Quoque Fallacy". I put a nice little explanation of it above. Read it.

If you have a problem with his argument, attack his argument. He might be a hypocrite, but that doesn't make him wrong.

^He is a hypocrite, no 'might be' in it. Sure being a hypocrite does not stop him from prancing over North America on his anti oil quest but nobody takes him seriously. You know why, because he's a hypocrite.

^He is a hypocrite, no 'might be' in it. Sure being a hypocrite does not stop him from prancing over North America on his anti oil quest but nobody takes him seriously. You know why, because he's a hypocrite.
    I'll try one last time: being a hypocrite doesn't make you wrong.

Repeating this ad nauseum makes you look unintelligent. If you think he is wrong, explain why.

He's not wrong that we should not be good stewards of the environment but he is the wrong one to be delivering the message. People who want to care for the environment should practice what they preach. He doesn't. Right message, wrong messenger.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaerdo View Post

Did you not read the post? No, there is nothing wrong with Young's logic. There is something wrong with your logic. You are committing something called a "Tu Quoque Fallacy". I put a nice little explanation of it above. Read it.

If you have a problem with his argument, attack his argument. He might be a hypocrite, but that doesn't make him wrong.
    Hey now, I'm just trying to get rich so I can also spend my life telling others how to act. I just gotta be a massive polluter first, and then when I'm super rich and can afford to live green, I'll be able to send out the right message.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Partially Addicted to C2E

^
    Chmilz, that is called Reductio ad Absurdum.....look it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Dialog View Post
    You'd think an accountant would be aware of the pittance royalties we're getting for the product...? Shill accountants maybe not...
    I happen to think the province's royalty take was too low during the mostly high energy price period we've had the good fortune to live through for the last dozen years or so. But a pittance?

$9.8 billion in oil and gas revenue this budget year (the bulk of it royalties) is not a pittance. This is revenue after any subsidies have been netted out. It represents about 20% of total provincial revenues. The energy industry also pays the bulk of the $5.8 billion in corporate taxes in this province, and indirectly through employment a substantial portion of the $11.1 billion in personal income taxes as well.

See page 6 here: http://www.finance.alberta.ca/public...cal-Update.pdf
    Last edited by East McCauley; 11-11-2014 at 08:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by East McCauley View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dialog View Post
    I happen to think the province's royalty take was too low during the mostly high energy price period we've had the good fortune to live through for the last dozen years or so. But a pittance?

$9.8 billion in oil and gas revenue this budget year (the bulk of it royalties) is not a pittance. This is revenue after any subsidies have been netted out. It represents about 20% of total provincial revenues. The energy industry also pays the bulk of the $5.8 billion in corporate taxes in this province, and indirectly through employment a substantial portion of the $11.1 billion in personal income taxes as well.

See page 6 here: http://www.finance.alberta.ca/public...cal-Update.pdf
    Compared to the 70s?
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Quote Originally Posted by Rebar View Post
    ^
    I get the premise. It doesn't apply the way you think in my argument.

I'm not saying he's wrong. Nobody here is. So that throws off the straw man fallacy.

The argument is that it's easy to preach from a soapbox when you have the means to afford that position, while the rest of us don't. I don't have the access to or means of living off of green energy. I doubt anyone other than a small handful here do. Doesn't mean we don't want to. As the technology improves and it becomes affordable for more people, adoption grows. It has been for decades.

The beef with folks like Neil Young is they want us to live like him, now, without the means that he has, now. We're getting there, but it's not there yet. If he truly wanted to improve the world, he'd donate more of his wealth to getting the technology where it needs to be for us to make that switch. If he does, then that's on me. If he doesn't, then that's on him.

In the meantime, I'll continue to live as green as I can, within my means. When the goalposts move, I'll do more. As will most people.

I think there are some people who think because they drop in couple of Latin phrases that somehow they are right.
    Just remember: Labra lege. Ill Latine dici non potest and most peoples favorite Monstra mihi pecuniam.
    Last edited by Gemini; 11-11-2014 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebar View Post
    ^
    I get the premise. It doesn't apply the way you think in my argument.

I'm not saying he's wrong. Nobody here is. So that throws off the straw man fallacy.

The argument is that it's easy to preach from a soapbox when you have the means to afford that position, while the rest of us don't. I don't have the access to or means of living off of green energy. I doubt anyone other than a small handful here do. Doesn't mean we don't want to. As the technology improves and it becomes affordable for more people, adoption grows. It has been for decades.

The beef with folks like Neil Young is they want us to live like him, now, without the means that he has, now. We're getting there, but it's not there yet. If he truly wanted to improve the world, he'd donate more of his wealth to getting the technology where it needs to be for us to make that switch. If he does, then that's on me. If he doesn't, then that's on him.

In the meantime, I'll continue to live as green as I can, within my means. When the goalposts move, I'll do more. As will most people.

Make a switch.

Ultra-fast charging batteries that can be 70 percent recharged in just 2 minutes
    13-Oct-2014

"NTU professor Rachid Yazami, who was the co-inventor of the lithium-graphite anode 34 years ago that is used in most lithium-ion batteries today, said Prof Chen's invention is the next big leap in battery technology."

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-ucb101314.php

And never ever trust those batteries that are given out free of charge..............

If Neil really believed what he was saying he'd act differently ...
    http://www.calgaryherald.com/enterta...082/story.html

Not to mention David Suzuki flying to Toronto to see Neil Young's concert (solar powered plane right David?)
    http://bcblue.wordpress.com/2014/01/...i-oil-concert/

WASHINGTON - Six years of delay and debate over the controversial Keystone XL pipeline may be finally nearing an end.
    In a moment of high political drama Wednesday, supporters of the long-stalled, Canadian-linked oil project demanded an imminent vote in the United States Congress.
    They appeared to get their wish. A key vote is expected early next week.

Environmental organizations were mortified. The green groups that comprise some of the most energetic foot soldiers in progressive U.S. politics pleaded with Democrats to desist.

Highlighted by me, article from:
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...075/story.html

As Young and Suzuki dash to change their underwear...................

And if you're considering music player, you're better off encoding music with a higher bit rate and stick with your phone and ignore Neil's PonoPlayer, plus the triangle shape would be a pain to fit in a pocket.
    http://gizmodo.com/dont-buy-what-nei...ing-1678446860

That thing better be made of materials not involving oil products in any way.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

^lol, lots of plastic. Its a badly timed product, most people are streaming now. If you want high quality, TIDAL is the way to go (with a lot more than 50 artists available). I find google play is good enough quality for my stereo though.

If you read the article provided in thread #164 according to them any device of this nature is not worth it. The human ear only hears to a certain level of megahertz and that is not even including each individuals personal hearing capabilities. Some people only hear certain ranges between high and low. According to the article he says 'Don't buy what Neil Young is Selling'. Interesting article.

Most people over the age of 35-40 are in some stage of hearing loss - usually the upper frequencies go first, and I'm sure that Mr. Young's lugs are well shot anyway, so I'm not likely to take much recommendation from him.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Hmm it looks like Neil's Pono Player will go the way of Zune, iRiver and a host of others...
    http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/...-of-snake-oil/

I still wonder what made them think that a prism shape was a good idea. Doesn't fit in pockets, uncomfortable on armbands.

Live a life of dreams, then start shagging Daryl Hannah, some people are just blessed. At $400 a pop even selling 10,000 of them would be 4 mil. A Chinese manufacturer is probably cranking them out for under 25 bucks. Out of that hes sure to get another million anyway, hmmmm. Likely a lot more than that will sell just because of his name tho, maybe even a million of them. That's only 400 million dollars. In that sense its a success. I'm still thinking of how to make my first million $ and lottery tickets havn't paid off yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Live a life of dreams, then start shagging Daryl Hannah, some people are just blessed. At $400 a pop even selling 10,000 of them would be 4 mil. A Chinese manufacturer is probably cranking them out for under 25 bucks. Out of that hes sure to get another million anyway, hmmmm. Likely a lot more than that will sell just because of his name tho, maybe even a million of them. That's only 400 million dollars. In that sense its a success. I'm still thinking of how to make my first million $ and lottery tickets havn't paid off yet.
    The electronic's rat race. More heavymetal mining, more electronics and batteries ending up in landfills and toxins eventually leaking into the groundwater. More fully charged batteries sitting plugged into chargers sucking up resources in wasted electricity.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ Says the guy on an internet forum using his computer lol

Learn five chords and sing off key in a high whimpery voice and away you go.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

The world does not need another playback musical electronic gadget. We have it covered with what we already have.

That player is a piece of garbage. Even the "idea" behind it is garbage.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

The world does not need another playback musical electronic gadget. We have it covered with what we already have.
    I don't particularly agree. The options for a large capacity (64-128gb), music only device is pretty limited. I'm still using a 5+ year old iPod Touch 64gb, and there's really not much out there to replace it. I can't say I'm all that interested in the Pono because it appears to be an incredibly poorly thought out device design wise. And while I do occasionally use my phone for music, storage and battery life reasons dictate that I'll likely always have some sort of stand alone music player.

More playback devices should come with memory card slots. If Apple did this for their iphones/ipods/pads they could make them interchangeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    I don't particularly agree. The options for a large capacity (64-128gb), music only device is pretty limited. I'm still using a 5+ year old iPod Touch 64gb, and there's really not much out there to replace it. I can't say I'm all that interested in the Pono because it appears to be an incredibly poorly thought out device design wise. And while I do occasionally use my phone for music, storage and battery life reasons dictate that I'll likely always have some sort of stand alone music player.
    Here's a list of devices that support 128 GB Mirosdxc cards. Couple one of them with a USB external battery to maintain your charge, and you'll get some of what you're looking for.

It's a fairly good gadget. As for the shape, it may not slide into your pocket but it's a nice size for a womans purse, a girly colour, and easier to find in a purse too. Maybe DH had some input on the design.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    Here's a list of devices that support 128 GB Mirosdxc cards. Couple one of them with a USB external battery to maintain your charge, and you'll get some of what you're looking for.
    heh, no need for that stand alone music player, so long as you carry around an even heavier and bulkier portable battery!

It's a fairly good gadget. As for the shape, it may not slide into your pocket but it's a nice size for a womans purse, a girly colour, and easier to find in a purse too. Maybe DH had some input on the design.
    Except there's no hold button, so the instant anything hits the three big buttons on the front, the volume changes. So throwing it in a purse or a bag is a bad idea, and it's not pocketable, thanks to the weird shape.

But it's sure...yellow!
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Well.........if women put any more stuff in their purses they will start to need to carry suitcases. I don't know how easy it would be to find in a big purse either. It will probably fall to the bottom and get lost in the rest of the heap. If DH had a hand in the design she could have incorporated a more BOB element to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    heh, no need for that stand alone music player, so long as you carry around an even heavier and bulkier portable battery!
    Ok, sounds like a Fiio X3 player might be more up your alley. It supports 128 GB cards (thought it says you need a 32 GB for firmware updates), and also supports FLAC files.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Thanks, I'll have to look at that one. There's a few decent players out there, but you really have to dig to find them, as the marketplace was decimated so thoroughly by the iPod. The only reason that I'm even considering ditching the Touch is that the battery is now pretty much worn out, and also my seething hatred for anything iTunes related. But like Apple or not, the Touch as a device is pretty damn near perfect, so I might just be going with a newer one unless something else jumps out at me. If only it could just be used as a USB mass storage device.

^
    Apparently the Cydia App can allow you to use the Touch as a USB device.

As to your battery, there are several places that can help you in Edmonton with a battery replacement.

Live and love... your neighbourhood.

A very interesting video. It is amazing how many stars he had participate in it. I had to laugh at his car though. It figures he drives one of the biggest gas guzzling and polluting vehicles ever manufactured, likely gets 6 or 7 miles to the gallon. lol. Unless of course he has had it converted to clean natural gas.

Pretty sure every classic car he has is an electric bio-deisel hybrid
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

I guess he would have the money to convert them. Silly me.

Amazing! And they say we're the cause of global warming...

China Used More Concrete In 3 Years Than The U.S. Used In The Entire 20th Century [Infographic] - Forbes
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmcc...y-infographic/

A 2007 article...

Cement Industry Is at Center of Climate Change Debate - New York Times

"manufacturers emphasize that the emissions problem cannot be solved until China and India and other booming economies realize that they must limit emissions as well.

“Trying to solve emissions in the E.U. or G-8 will not solve the problem unless emerging economies and their cement production are included,” Mr. Luneau said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/26/bu...ment.html?_r=0
    Last edited by KC; 22-02-2015 at 10:11 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KC
    Who is "they"? No legitimate climate expert hides from the fact that China is the largest emitter of GHG emissions now. However, cumulatively since the industrial age, it's a fraction of what the US and EU have emitted: http://pdf.wri.org/navigating_numbers_chapter6.pdf

Even Canada on that table is nearly 1/3 of China, despite presently having somewhere around 2-3% of China's population. So cumulatively by present population, we've emitted 10 times what China has, on a per capita basis. And keep in mind that for most of that 1850-2002 period, Canada's population was even smaller than China's, proportionately.

7.4 Million Acres of Ecosystem Lost to Oil and Gas Boom - US News

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/...e08&int=a9e709

Who is "they"? No legitimate climate expert hides from the fact that China is the largest emitter of GHG emissions now. However, cumulatively since the industrial age, it's a fraction of what the US and EU have emitted: http://pdf.wri.org/navigating_numbers_chapter6.pdf

Even Canada on that table is nearly 1/3 of China, despite presently having somewhere around 2-3% of China's population. So cumulatively by present population, we've emitted 10 times what China has, on a per capita basis. And keep in mind that for most of that 1850-2002 period, Canada's population was even smaller than China's, proportionately.
    Very interesting. Over long time periods though (since the Industrial Age), only CO2 has a cumulative effect though - right?

Who is "they"? No legitimate climate expert hides from the fact that China is the largest emitter of GHG emissions now. However, cumulatively since the industrial age, it's a fraction of what the US and EU have emitted:

And don't forget: way more blondes.

That's as pertinent to this discussion as Canada only having 2-3% of China's population.

When you're pointing the finger at industrialized/manufacturing nations for being the biggest polluters, population statistics are irrelevant. Unless, of course, you're playing the Euro-American liberal guilt card.

Anyway, these statistics will be meaningless in 10 years because China and India will, by then, be the leaders on the list for cumulative emissions.

Now, let's get that pipeline to the coast built so that we can sell China and India our dirty oil.
    ˙

And then there's biofuels...

Earth Day and the celebration of suffering

"In honor of this 45th anniversary of the first Earth Day, let us recall the wisdom of Dogbert, that noted political philosopher and sage observer of the human condition: “You can’t save the earth unless you’re willing to make other people sacrifice.”

As the old saying goes, truer words were never spoken. Earth Day brings each year a worldwide religious celebration at which large masses of people both right-thinking and affluent proclaim their devotion to Gaia and their love of humanity, while displaying their contempt for the lives and wellbeing of actual people, the poorest among them in particular. Should you find that judgment overly harsh, merely consider two musings from prominent organizers of the original Earth Day. In 1990, the late Alexander King, cofounder of the Club of Rome in 1968, argued in the context of the use of DDT to control malaria:

My own doubts came when DDT was introduced for civilian use. In Guyana, within two years it had almost eliminated malaria, but at the same time, the birth rate had doubled. … My chief quarrel with DDT in hindsight is that it has greatly added to the population problem.

Another second example came in 1971 courtesy of Michael McClosky, the former executive director of the Sierra Club, during an Ethiopian famine:

The worst thing we could do is give aid…. the best thing would be to just let nature seek its own balance and to let the people there just starve. ..."

http://www.aei.org/publication/earth...-of-suffering/

Young announces he will be doing an anti oil sands concert at Rexall Place July 3. Ticket prices $45-$175.
    July, usually long sunny days. Could he not have done an outside concert and saved the energy it would take to light Rexall.
    Anyway, here's hoping nobody show up.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/enter...757/story.html

He's old and crazy. Every single aspect of his industry and tours count on energy or products created by oil, or generates pollution. The good news is he has little influence to mess anything up, and the general Canadian public has been on board with and already do their best to try and save the environment.

^when it comes to his music, I couldn't care less about his politics (if I vetted every singer based on what they believed, I'd hate to think what music would be left). Neil Young live would be awesome.

^when it comes to his music, I couldn't care less about his politics (if I vetted every singer based on what they believed, I'd hate to think what music would be left). Neil Young live would be awesome.
    I cant stand him, has he still got his private plane and his big ole bus? He is a hypocrite

Yup, it's a good message to ask people to take care of the environment but he's definitely not the one to be spreading it. It's like telling others to watch what they eat as you are having your 3rd. slice of cheesecake.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast