Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Neil Young talks Horse Shissle

I will be boycotting any station that continues to play his music or promote this concert. Its likely only K97 and that is no loss at all on my dial.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    ^when it comes to his music, I couldn't care less about his politics (if I vetted every singer based on what they believed, I'd hate to think what music would be left). Neil Young live would be awesome.
    I'm only talking about his activism as it relates to how he lives his life. He's a pathetic hypocrite that's consumed more than the average person by leaps and bounds.

Is he talented? That's up to each individual. However, his talent is not what we're talking about and shouldn't factor into this conversation. What he does for a living though, should.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

I'd rather C2E than work!

Just another Al Gore type. Likes to preach but uses more energy than a town.

Neil Young postpones his July Edmonton Benefit Concert but gives no reason why.

I suppose it's not worth having a benefit concert if only 2 tickets have been sold.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/enter...576/story.html
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    ^when it comes to his music, I couldn't care less about his politics (if I vetted every singer based on what they believed, I'd hate to think what music would be left). Neil Young live would be awesome.
    I'm only talking about his activism as it relates to how he lives his life. He's a pathetic hypocrite that's consumed more than the average person by leaps and bounds.

Is he talented? That's up to each individual. However, his talent is not what we're talking about and shouldn't factor into this conversation. What he does for a living though, should.
    He apparently has some side interests in environmental issues and has long owned electric cars or something. So that adds bit to his credibility.

However, I'd say someone like Prince Charles who's been an leading edge 'environmentalist' on the side for longer than most of today's environmentalists have been alive would be far, far more credible. That credibility would exist despite his enormous energy usage due to what he does for a living. Intrinsic to some jobs is just an enormous waste of energy. I'd say that Prince Charle's extensive environmentally friendly farm and ranch practices would completely trump the issue of hypocrisy cause by energy usage. With Neil Young, I'm not so sure that the job requirements dictate the use of huge amounts of energy. (He uses far, far less though than many travelling rock shows have with over the top light shows.)
    Last edited by KC; 16-06-2015 at 09:06 AM.

If Neil Young were to shed the rock component of his music (anathema to some, I know) that might look better on him. A lot of his stuff is well suited to acoustic performance and while 'acoustic' performance in large venues still takes amplification, I think the truckloads of mega gear just aren't needed.

Is he still a 'stadium rock' draw even?
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

I never understood why would anybody buy a triangular song player, just too huge for pockets, if you have the money make it flat, it fits better in pockets and arm bands. I also don't understand why anyone would buy a song player, when their phone does, for the most part, the exact same thing.
    ---
    “Lack of resources” keeps Neil Young’s Pono Player from expanding

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/...rom-expanding/

As stated in the Ars comments: good intentions, bad science. It was a bad design and it cost way too much.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

The real depressing statistic is tens of thousands bought the device and hundreds of thousands of songs were download. This means roughly 10 songs per device were downloaded.

I'm not sure about your iPod, phone, media player, but the USB stick I have plugged into my car stereo has about 350 songs not 10. This doesn't bode well for Neil.

I should imagine most of those pono's are languishing in junk draws. There was a repeat Jimmy Fallon show the other night and Young was bleating away about them. Jimmy Fallon said he could definitely tell the difference in sound and that Young's pono was superior. Sure.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

Rocker Neil Young supports Alberta's carbon tax, pleased by Liberal government

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/enter...757/story.html

I see Mr. Lived in California For Years has his say of what we are doing in Canada. Now, do you think he will do a tour of U S coal plants and bleat about them to the U S Government. I think not.

Just another celebrity who doesn't practice what he preaches, uses more then his share but wants us to pay for it.

Another has been in the way of Jane Fonda beaking off about the oil sands. Why do these Native Bands and tree huggers invite this type of Hollywood fluff to speak on matters they know sweet F A about. It's time they were told nobody is buying what these D listers are buying. A lot of Native Bands have spoken up to say the developments in Ft. Mac have benefited them a great deal. We need them to maybe speak up a bit louder to counteract the rhetoric of the sparkly entertainment industry.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...ce-in-edmonton

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Is Neil Young back in town?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Yeah but he changed his name to Jane and he's looking rather rough.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

bwahahah! Gotta love these rich, important folk that have jetted around the world most of their lives and the hypocrisy. No faster way to kill anyone's argument than being a hypocrite IMO.

Except... they're preaching to their already-followers, who have needed to push aside their hypocrisy to be "enlightened" believers.
    I feel in no way entitled to your opinion...

And to add, Jane Fonda has the creepiest looking eyes I have ever seen. 80 years old and going for the 30 year look with plastic surgery, however it failed miserably.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitlope View Post
    And to add, Jane Fonda has the creepiest looking eyes I have ever seen. 80 years old and going for the 30 year look with plastic surgery, however it failed miserably.
    An observation that is of no significance that I can think of.

Notley wasn't impressed with Fonda's observations either:

Jane Fonda 'dining out on celebrity' but starved for facts, Alberta premier says - Edmonton - CBC News

"... Notley return fire at Fonda.

"I would suggest if someone was going to come to Alberta ... [and] fly over a city that is going through a significant economic downturn, that's just been through the largest natural disaster in the history of Canada, and then lecture them about where they should get jobs elsewhere, first of all, that's super tone deaf," Notley said.

"But secondly, I would suggest that dining out on your celebrity is something that one ought to also pair with knowledge and research. She failed to do that."

Notley said Fonda's visit earned more media attention that it deserved, given the fact the Oscar-winning actress and long-time made it "very clear she did not know what she was talking about."

'Ill-informed generalizations'

The Alberta government offered Fonda the chance to meet and discuss the issues but was turned down.

Instead, she said, Fonda "used the amplification of her celebrity to promote ill-informed generalizations." "...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...deau-1.3930806
    My observation:

Fonda's ex has something like 25 or 30 houses. (And thousands upon thousands of acres of ranch land - I'm not sure if that's environmentally friendly or not. Ranch land isn't naturalized land). Not sure how many they had together. ...and Fonda herself was critical of him for all those houses, but liked the idea of two homes.

Those in Fort McMurray, while also benefitting from outrageous incomes at times generally just want to be able to afford one home.

Also, the entertainment business is well known for waste. Sets are discarded, huge usage if not waste in energy etc. The average person, in the average job operates very efficiently in comparison.
    Last edited by KC; 11-01-2017 at 07:10 PM.

Fonda did say she was using her celebrity to amplify local voices. As the CBC story says:

Quote Originally Posted by from CBC
    "When you're famous," she said, "you can help by amplifying the voices of people that can't necessarily get the press."​
    I invite you cheap wankers to turn your slander onto the Albertans quoted in the story that for one reason or another are brave enough to say in public they are ashamed to be Albertans and Canadians. They may be right or they may be wrong -- but they live here and they do go public.

But turning your filthy creep show on Fonda is of course so much easier.

You are all equally disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by AShetsen View Post
    Fonda did say she was using her celebrity to amplify local voices. As the CBC story says:

"When you're famous," she said, "you can help by amplifying the voices of people that can't necessarily get the press."​
    I invite you cheap wankers to turn your slander onto the Albertans quoted in the story that for one reason or another are brave enough to say in public they are ashamed to be Albertans and Canadians. They may be right or they may be wrong -- but they live here and they do go public.

I'm glad we're all equals.

Yes the celebrity presence automatically gets people talking and that's great and Fonda was highlighting the voiceless. Notley though offered much more and a meeting was turned down by Fonda. That's not great.

'cheap wankers', are you implying there are more than one kind?.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post

'cheap wankers', are you implying there are more than one kind?.
    Apparently not.

"Self-righteousness in retrospect is easy--also cheap." - Arthur M. Schlesinger Jr.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Another has been in the way of Jane Fonda beaking off about the oil sands. Why do these Native Bands and tree huggers invite this type of Hollywood fluff to speak on matters they know sweet F A about. It's time they were told nobody is buying what these D listers are buying. A lot of Native Bands have spoken up to say the developments in Ft. Mac have benefited them a great deal. We need them to maybe speak up a bit louder to counteract the rhetoric of the sparkly entertainment industry.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...ce-in-edmonton
    i have never been a justin trudeau fan - and i wasn't a fan of his father either - but if he is "a disappointment" to tomahawk chop jane fonda then he is probably doing at least something right.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Kitlope View Post
    Is there petroleum in her breast implants?

I was thinking about her and Ted doing the Tomahawk chop when I saw her sitting beside native leaders but didn't want to say anything. Having been to Atlanta Fulton County Stadium personally in those times I couldn't help thinking about it. I guess she was co-owner of the "Braves" then.

Shows you how corrupt these people are. Bashing on natives and now pretending to care about native rights. Has various large homes, automobiles, and travel a lot using jet aircraft and such. The ones leaving the largest footprint are the ones that do this kind of protesting. Hmm. She should stay in Beverly Hills I think. I'm thinking she is being paid by some group

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    I was thinking about her and Ted doing the Tomahawk chop when I saw her sitting beside native leaders but didn't want to say anything. Having been to Atlanta Fulton County Stadium personally in those times I couldn't help thinking about it. I guess she was co-owner of the "Braves" then.
    Wow - lots of material for the politically incorrect-correct thread. The article below is nearing three decades old from 1991 and even it references 1971 - nearly a half-century ago. I didn't realize how far back the official battle goes in trying to get more respectful symbolism / naming into sports.

Can't blame Fonda for working to overcome past prejudices and giving voice to the unheard.

bolding is mine.
    BASEBALL; How Can Jane Fonda Be a Part of the Chop?
    By ROBERT LIPSYTE
    October 18, 1991

"It hurts to see these white boys in the bleachers singing and chanting like that," said Phil St. John of the Concerned American Indian Parents.

He should be used to it by now. From the Dartmouth Indian to the Syracuse Saltine Warrior, white boys playing feathered mascots capered on the sidelines. Both are gone now, but it took strong stands by Native American organizations to bench them. Oren Lyons, an Iroquois faithkeeper who was an all-America lacrosse goalie at Syracuse, was a leader against the Saltine Warrior, which he found racist and degrading: "Army had a mule, Navy had a goat, Georgia had a bulldog and Syracuse had an Indian."

Indians are just about the only ethnic group among the Lions, Gators, Devils, Pirates that populate our leagues. This is not new stuff. In 1971, in The San Francisco Examiner, Dave Burgin, then executive sports editor, disturbed by the Stanford University "Indians," wrote a column asking readers to imagine what it would be like if, instead of Wolverines, the University of Michigan team's nickname was an epithet for Jews. "The team wins," he wrote, "and the student body stands up and shouts, in unison, 'What a deal!' " ...

"You know, I was on a radio show recently," she said, "about Columbus, of course, and we started talking about all the pejorative ways that Indians are depicted, and how that message tells the public that we simply don't matter, we're not here.

"When I mentioned the Washington Redskins, one of the other guests, an Italian-American, asked me what was the big deal," said Frichner. She then asked him how he would feel if the team was referred to by an epithet for Italians. "That ended the discussion," she said.

The discussion will now continue into the North American Hardball Championships for Men, during which I just know, some white boy somewhere will write this headline: BRAVES SCALP TWINS. ..."

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/10/18/sp...-the-chop.html

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Shows you how corrupt these people are. Bashing on natives and now pretending to care about native rights. Has various large homes, automobiles, and travel a lot using jet aircraft and such. The ones leaving the largest footprint are the ones that do this kind of protesting. Hmm. She should stay in Beverly Hills I think. I'm thinking she is being paid by some group
    Not corrupt but definitely out of scale (and touch) with the average person. And the average person's lifestyle is much closer to that of the voiceless people she's giving a voice to, than it is to their lifestyle. This is the life of the rich and famous (se the video). She's preserved a beautiful property. 2,300 acres. Nice shack. Built to be energy efficient. "The River House". Two guest houses too. They are a must see!!!!
    https://vimeo.com/102147335

So... in comparison we have a natural/naturalizing property here in Alberta. Much, much smaller scale - 1/10th to 1/20th the size in every way. Accommodation is also much more basic. Plumbing is an outhouse and we take water out there for drinking and washing. Excluding the connection charges, we use maybe $2-3.00 in electricity a year. We use zero natural gas but a few gallons of diesel each year for mowing.
    Last edited by KC; 12-01-2017 at 02:31 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123