Thread: Leduc grows westward

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Default Leduc grows westward

The Lieutenant Governor in Council orders that
    (a) effective January 1, 2014, the land described in Appendix A and shown on the sketch in Appendix B is separated from Leduc County and annexed to the City of Leduc,

APPENDIX A

DETAILED DESCRIPTION OF THE LANDS SEPARATED FROM LEDUC COUNTY AND ANNEXED TO THE CITY OF LEDUC

PART ONE

ALL THAT PORTION OF THE WEST HALF OF SECTION THIRTY-THREE (33), TOWNSHIP FORTY-NINE (49), RANGE TWENTY-FIVE (25) WEST OF THE FOURTH MERIDIAN.

ALL THAT PORTION OF THE WEST HALF OF SECTION TWENTY-EIGHT (2, TOWNSHIP FORTY-NINE (49), RANGE TWENTY-FIVE (25) WEST OF THE FOURTH MERIDIAN.

ALL THAT PORTION OF THE NORTH HALF OF SECTION TWENTY-ONE (21), TOWNSHIP FORTY-NINE (49), RANGE TWENTY-FIVE (25) WEST OF THE FOURTH MERIDIAN.

ALL THAT PORTION OF THE NORTH HALF OF SECTION TWENTY-TWO (22), TOWNSHIP FORTY-NINE (49), RANGE TWENTY-FIVE (25) WEST OF THE FOURTH MERIDIAN AND EXTENDING EASTERLY TO THE CURRENT BOUNDARY OF THE CITY OF LEDUC.

ALL THAT LAND LYING TO THE EAST OF THE NORTHEAST QUARTER OF SECTION TWENTY-TWO (22), TOWNSHIP FORTY-NINE (49), RANGE TWENTY-FIVE (25) WEST OF THE FOURTH MERIDIAN AND EXTENDING EASTERLY TO THE CURRENT BOUNDARY OF THE CITY OF LEDUC.

THE NORTH-SOUTH ROAD ALLOWANCE ADJACENT TO THE WESTERN BOUNDARY OF SECTION THIRTY-THREE (33) , TOWNSHIP FORTY-NINE (49), RANGE TWENTY-FIVE (25) WEST OF THE FOURTH MERIDIAN.

THE NORTH-SOUTH ROAD ALLOWANCE ADJACENT TO THE WESTERN BOUNDARY OF SECTION TWENTY-EIGHT (2, TOWNSHIP FORTY-NINE (49), RANGE TWENTY-FIVE (25) WEST OF THE FOURTH MERIDIAN.

THE NORTH-SOUTH ROAD ALLOWANCE ADJACENT TO THE WESTERN BOUNDARY OF THE NORTHWEST QUARTER OF SECTION TWENTY-ONE (21), TOWNSHIP FORTY-NINE (49), RANGE TWENTY-FIVE (25) WEST OF THE FOURTH MERIDIAN.

PART TWO

REGISTERED ROAD PLAN 904 NY AND ALL ROAD ALLOWANCES LYING BETWEEN THE SOUTHWEST QUARTER OF SECTION THIRTY (30), TOWNSHIP FORTY-NINE (49), RANGE TWENTY-FIVE (25) WEST OF THE FOURTH MERIDIAN AND THE NORTHWEST QUARTER OF SECTION NINETEEN (19), TOWNSHIP FORTY-NINE (49), RANGE TWENTY-FIVE (25) WEST OF THE FOURTH MERIDIAN.

APPENDIX B

A SKETCH SHOWING THE GENERAL LOCATION OF THE AREAS

ANNEXED TO THE CITY OF LEDUC

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/o.../2013_258.html

oh yeah more farmland gone for suburban housing...

*(puts on flame suit)*

^ Ok to be honest we are not going to hit 5 million people in the next decade without the footprint of our cities growing.. the question becomes, so yes I understand your frustration but even if we had all the infill incentives in the world we would still grow out.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

I'd rather C2E than work!

Interesting in that there is still a great deal of undeveloped land within the old boundaries. South of the lake is park however north of the lake appears open. Is it just that is already zoned for industrial and commercial?

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

airport boxing ?
    Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

I always thought the best spot for new runway is west of the current runway rather than their proposed north. So to me developing Leduc west would box in the airport more by putting more residential lands under what may become a runway in 30 or more years.

not sure why Leduc wouldn't develop the lands south of their golf course
    Perhaps the east west Rail line is an issue?

^ I don't know.. but it would be wise to look to existing firehalls, schools and such.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    ^ Ok to be honest we are not going to hit 5 million people in the next decade without the footprint of our cities growing.. the question becomes, so yes I understand your frustration but even if we had all the infill incentives in the world we would still grow out.
    True but there has to be smart growth and not just outward growth. Anyways I don't want to hi-jack the thread to turn into suburban vs downtown argument.

C2E Long Term Contributor

I'm more worried about the ability for EIA to build a 3rd runway if the land keeps getting eaten up to suburban housing
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

^ the land leduc wants is no where near the 3rd runway.

BTW How is that highway realignment coming ?
    BTT

I know the 3rd runway is nowhere near it, I was expressing my desire that it would be west of the existing 12/30 rather than intersecting 02/20.

This way you could have in the very far term future a Denver, Dulles, Atlanta (and others) type airport where you have rows of terminals between the two runways

But as for Highway 19, nothing more then studies and consultation is happening right now, it isn't funded in the current 3 year cycle. You can find more info by clicking on Highway 19 on this page;
    http://www.transportation.alberta.ca...ontonarea.aspx
    Last edited by sundance; 16-09-2013 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueline View Post
    BTW How is that highway realignment coming ?
    BTT
    My personal experience living in that area is that highway 19 has been on and off the 3-year cycle for at least 10 years, I'm sure the reality is closer to 20.
    There are many issues:
    1. Castrol Raceways
    2. High quality farmland, Leduc County is notorious for protecting their farmland, probably to make up for Nisku.
    3. Land owners opposition, few owners of large portions of land, they stick together.
    4. Churches, but more importantly their graveyards

Area residents were told that traffic on that route would diminish when AHD was built as a COE bypass, that hasn't happened. Highway 19 leads directly to 2 lane divided highway then the Yellowhead. Most truckers would prefer to take that route than the increased city traffic on AHD.

That short portion of 19 has very high volumes of traffic, long, wide, slow loads, also basic commuter traffic. Furthermore, Devon is often used as a base for STARS, maybe not so much anymore now that STARS is at EIA, I can't say for certain as we no longer live in that direct area.

I don't know how to do all those fancy schmancy things you guys do, but I wonder, would it be feasible to start the runway as in option 3c (perhaps even a smidge further south, they have that be the taxiing area then take a sharp turn south and have the runway run more directly N to S?
    I guess that could interfere with the lines of the other runways and not much help timelines.

Thx Angus