Thread: 3 boars - 84ave- 109st

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default 3 boars - 84ave- 109st

Hit up their patio last night, such a great little spot to chat, people watch, snack on some delicious treats and try out a huge range of libations.

www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

I'd rather C2E than work!

...correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't they been open for about a year already?

C2E SME

I went there over the winter, it was a pretty good meal. Some of the dishes were a bit too out there for my liking, but I'd go back. The hipster is extremely strong in this place.

It's been open for a while now. Has been getting rave reviews in local and national magazines.
    Seems like the place where all the revolutionary hipsters who used to hang out at sugarbowl during their 9yr degree moved to after they graduated, got real jobs, grew beards and bought hipster big rim glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    ...correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't they been open for about a year already?
    Yup... not sure why I included that haha.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    Yup... not sure why I included that haha.
    one too many libations?

Good food, so many neckbeards

Tried going there once in the winter. We walked in sans-facial hair nor thick rimmed glasses and the "thou art not worthy" gazes suggested we take our real money elsewhere.

Which is too bad, I've heard great things.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    Tried going there once in the winter. We walked in sans-facial hair nor thick rimmed glasses and the "thou art not worthy" gazes suggested we take our real money elsewhere.

Too bad your own perception stopped you.

They serve food with good service, neckbeard and purposefully awkward manner or not

Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post

Too bad your own perception stopped you.

They serve food with good service, neckbeard and purposefully awkward manner or not
    It wasn't my own perception rather than a lack of free seats. The unfortunate part was that a good number of the full seats were occupied by those that sneered at us while spending nothing.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

I'm not in the restaurant business so I can't put my finger on what exactly it is I find uncomfortable about this establishment (and others of a certain bent in Edmonton) but Chmilz is definitely onto something. Having had the privilege of visiting The Girl and The Goat and The Purple Pig in Chicago recently (two places that I'm sure 3 Boars aspires to be) I can't help but compare. Those rooms were comfortable, welcoming AND full of hepcats.
    If I had to choose a place for my neighbourhood I'd rather have the Garneau Pub than 3 Boars. Heck if I'm getting a choice I'd take The Marc but...

The staff and crowd there are generally friendly and fun, don't be afraid of hipsters.
    www.decl.org

C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

It's not that we're afraid of hipsters (and yes, I've encountered the same thing), it's that if you go to a hipster hangout flashing "non-hipster" you don't get served. One of these places who put me into isolated area where the servers didn't have to see me (the service was dreadful) later complained about how "people didn't want to come in". But they clearly only meant hipsters who knew the staff personally.

And there are also some nice places I'd like to go to for a quick meal and a coffee, but the seating is totally taken up by people nursing their cup of coffee (or sometimes there's a laptop with no coffee cup in sight).

Eve

Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    If I had to choose a place for my neighbourhood I'd rather have the Garneau Pub than 3 Boars.

Uh....aj.....this is basically the definition of rock bottom.

If this was the only ' choice ' Top_Dawg would quit drinking, dry out, and become an AA sponsor to those who are so powerless over their addiction that they continue to drink even when the sole option iz either one of these two shytholes.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    If I had to choose a place for my neighbourhood I'd rather have the Garneau Pub than 3 Boars.

Uh....aj.....this is basically the definition of rock bottom.

If this was the only ' choice ' Top_Dawg would quit drinking, dry out, and become an AA sponsor to those who are so powerless over their addiction that they continue to drink even when the sole option iz either one of these two shytholes.

Btw Top_Dawg, what are your favourite watering holes?

They'll be expanding in the near future within the same locale, more seats and follicles.

Yup... South
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    Btw Top_Dawg, what are your favourite watering holes?
    Top_Dawg patronizes only the most exclusive high end establishments primarily in the Downtown, Old Strathcona and Mill Creek areas.