Thread: Fort Saskatchewan mayor calls for second bridge into Edmonton

I'd rather C2E than work!

Default Fort Saskatchewan mayor calls for second bridge into Edmonton

The Mayor of Fort Saskatchewan is calling on the provincial and federal governments to construct a second bridge linking her city to the City of Edmonton, and she’s asking residents for help

http://globalnews.ca/news/724589/for...into-edmonton/
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

C2E Long Term Contributor

Makes sense to me, although instead of south of Fort Sask I think the bridge should be NE of Fort Sask. It would provide a better connection to Hwys 15, 37 and 28A, the road would be shorter, plus one can bypass the city to get to the refineries along Hwy 15.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

In the meantime they should enact a trucking lane during peak hours like some states in the US. This keeps goods moving and tells drivers to carpool or seek another route. I know it's cheap in Fort Sask, but there is a price.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Rather than a new bridge on a new ROW, twin Manning Drive north of Highway 28 and build a second bridge across the river beside the existing one.

^ They would also need to rebuild the 99 Ave bridge and possibly the pedestrian bridge north of that, since they seem to only accommodate for 2 lanes of Hwy 15. Another concern would be the congestion within Fort Sask itself, which is why I favor a bypass directly to the Industrial Heartland area.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    ^ They would also need to rebuild the 99 Ave bridge and possibly the pedestrian bridge north of that, since they seem to only accommodate for 2 lanes of Hwy 15. Another concern would be the congestion within Fort Sask itself, which is why I favor a bypass directly to the Industrial Heartland area.
    They probably wouldn't have to replace the 99 Ave bridge but they'd have to reinforce the bottom (see http://goo.gl/maps/w6I9w). A good comparable is Hwy 39 in Leduc that goes under QE2 (see http://goo.gl/maps/LlhMJ). Hwy 39 was originally only 2 lanes and went in between the piers (present day eastbound lanes). For the westbound lanes, they were able to dig out the V-shaped abutment and reinforce it with a retaining wall.

By no means is it a standard freeway, but as Fort Sask grows they'll need Hwy 15 to be 4 lanes all the way to Edmonton.

A good idea. Needed for the growing region
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

A few years back FS hired a consultant to advise them on a long-term transportation plan. The consultant advised: while there's room and time, turn HWY 21 through town into a full blown freeway with exits to get into town at a number of key junctions.

So FS did exactly none of that and instead put in the most ridiculous series of intersections, and now there's gridlock and idling cars at all times of day. The city wanted to capitalize on the traffic through town, and of course now the province has come out and announced a tentative new freeway south of town running next to the rail like to bypass the Fort entirely.

Upgrading the old bridge is pointless since it's bottlenecked at the south end anyway.

Any new bridge should connect somewhere else where the freeway traffic won't immediately be stopped by a 6 minute red light.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Like Chimlz said the provinces outer regional road plans bypassed Fort, there really is no point now in making Highway 15 a freeway unless you do the same with 21. With all the development it is cheaper to bypass the whole thing.

http://www.municipalaffairs.alberta...._2.pdf#page=21

^ So what the Mayor of the Fort was alluding to was getting the western leg between Hwy 15 west of the river and Hwy 21 done first.

Just a thought: LRT bridge?
    ... gobsmacked

I'm not sure of the ridership, but if the line size to Fort is accurate to the legend then at less than 1,500 people a day LRT is a long way into the future, but they should reserve a corridor for it.
    http://www.edmonton.ca/transportatio...Volume_Map.pdf

^ I think Ed Stelmach was the first to ponder a Ft Sask extension as a way to relieve highway congestion during peak construction in the Industrial Heartland.

Looking at future plans, there'll be lots of that - i.e. peak construction.
    ... gobsmacked

Heard on CTV News that a petition is being kicked off tonight at Comfort Inn and Suites in the Fort Sask.

Twitter:
    https://twitter.com/Citizens4Bridge

Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/buildthesouthbridge

This is where they want to put it:

The problem is where to cross as there's a huge bend along the section line and I'm not sure if that's a gravel pit on the north side of the bend.

Edit: I guess it's Township Road 542 they want to go to. Kind of a wide valley at that area.

http://goo.gl/maps/nO40Y
    Last edited by TerryH; 29-07-2013 at 08:47 PM.

^There'd have to be a 20m cut on the west side of the river to match the east side elevation (629m to about 610m according to Google Earth).

Quote Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
    This is where they want to put it:
    The problem is where to cross as there's a huge bend along the section line and I'm not sure if that's a gravel pit on the north side of the bend.

Edit: I guess it's Township Road 542 they want to go to. Kind of a wide valley at that area.
    I can see the benefits for regional/bypass traffic, but what about Fort Saskatchewan commuter traffic? Is the bridge close enough to Fort Sask to be used by Edmonton-Fort Sask traffic or would the Hwy 15 crossing need to be expanded whether this bridge existed or not?

Well they have some unused bridge piers sitting there in the middle of the river. A peak traffic overflow bridge.

Administrator *

Those are from an old rail bridge. Don't think those would be healthy enough for a new bridge deck without major repairs.

C2E SME

It looks like there is a plan for another North Saskatchewan River bridge around 153 Avenue. I do however, support the idea of a second bridge around Highway 28A or expanding the Highway 15 bridge.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisvazquez7 View Post
    Those are from an old rail bridge. Don't think those would be healthy enough for a new bridge deck without major repairs.
    They should be fine, once the outer surface of the concrete is removed and replaced. The pilings should be more then adequate to support any highway traffic. BUT... it's in the wrong location, if you built a road it would go right through the middle of Fort Saskatchewan so you gain nothing.
    https://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ll....0212&t=h&z=16

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisvazquez7 View Post
    They should be fine, once the outer surface of the concrete is removed and replaced. The pilings should be more then adequate to support any highway traffic. BUT... it's in the wrong location, if you built a road it would go right through the middle of Fort Saskatchewan so you gain nothing.
    https://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ll....0212&t=h&z=16
    I always figured that they should have kept the rail bridge intact and used if for a foot bridge/tourism attraction with a plan to run a streetcar across it once the Fort grew across the river.

C2E SME

Hey how about convincing Edmonton, Ft. Sask and the province to pay for an LRT extension into the Fort at which point they should build a new multipurpose bridge.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

South Beverly Heights in a small house with a large lot!!

Quote Originally Posted by East McCauley View Post
    Rather than a new bridge on a new ROW, twin Manning Drive north of Highway 28 and build a second bridge across the river beside the existing one.
    Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......

Quote Originally Posted by cnr67 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by East McCauley View Post
    The problem with this solution is - once you get across the bridge (heading into fort sask), youre back down to 1 lane in each direction, because the overpasses weren't built with any more consideration for extra lanes. You've have to rebuild everything between the bridge and Hwy 21/15 intersection.
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Looks like it isn't happening under the NDP, many more years of traffic jams in and around Fort Saskatchewan
    http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...bridge-project

Not really. It's far more preferable to twin Hwy 15 to Fort Sask.

Not building it means you still have large quantities of dangerous goods travelling through the middle of a city. Plus doesn't reduce traffic on the already jammed 15/28A/37 mess.
    Last edited by sundance; 27-05-2018 at 07:46 PM.

The intersections for Hwys 37 and 28A should be overpasses or roundabouts. It makes no sense for a 4-lane divided Hwy 15 to have traffic signals for a 2-lane Hwy 37. Hwy 15 must be freeflow from the Henday to the Fort.

C2E SME

Looks like the Vinca Bridge (near Redwater) will be upgraded, to help with the truck traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    Looks like the Vinca Bridge (near Redwater) will be upgraded, to help with the truck traffic.
    Correct:

From fortsaskonline.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortsaskonline.com
    Vinca Bridge getting $90 million upgrade

The provincial government will be spending $90 million to upgrade the Highway 38 bridge south of Redwater.

The upgrades will allow the bridge, originally built in 1967, to accommodate heavy or oversized loads of more than 200 tonnes, making it easier for industrial traffic to move in and out of northeast Alberta.

Approximately 2,000 vehicles cross the bridge every day.

Alberta Minister of Transportation Brian Mason made the funding announcement Friday (May 25) in Fort Saskatchewan at Alberta's Industrial Heartland Association headquarters.

“This river crossing will save time and money as these critical loads travel into and come out of our northern regions,” Mason said. “The new bridge will become a major component of the High Load Corridor and will help the energy sector become more competitive.”

Mason said the existing designated high load route takes truck traffic on a time-wasting 200-km detour. The revamped bridge will give heavy trucks a faster, more direct way to cross the North Saskatchewan river as they travel to oilsands and industrial areas further north.

“Getting the products and materials needed to the oilsands in a timely manner is a critical link in the supply chain. It's a supply chain that starts in the Edmonton region and even as far south as Red Deer," Mason pointed out.

It's estimated that the new route, which will also include improved roadways, will save industrial carriers time and fuel equating to about $10,000 per trip or more than $5 million a year. The shortened travel time will also cut down on greenhouse gas emissions, Mason said.

Planning and design on the bridge project will begin this year, with construction set to start in 2020. Mason said the project will support about 265 direct construction jobs as well as 190 jobs in associated industries.

Redwater mayor Mel Smith said the bridge announcement was “tremendous.” The existing bridge is part of the daily commute for many residents of the town.

“The bridge isn't in very good shape right now,” Smith added. “They've been holding off until they determined what they were going to do. So this is certainly a plus for us.”

Smith believes the economic benefit of the new route could be even bigger than what the province is predicting.

"Some of the estimates that we had was up to $35,000 per load because it saves two and half days of travel time for some of the big vessels and modules. So it has the opportunity to create huge, huge investment opportunities."

Gale Katchur, mayor of Fort Saskatchewan and chair of Alberta's Industrial Heartland Association, said investment in area bridges is good news for industries.

"I'm very pleased because the province is looking after vehicle movement across the Highway 15 bridge and getting the heavy haul corridor across the Vinca bridge. So these are two very critical bridges that are needed in Alberta's Industrial Heartland. So it's very exciting news for us today."
    From the Edmotnon Journal article Sundance posted
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton Journal

C2E SME

This bridge will also help with the Industrial Heartland.