Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Severe flooding in southern Alberta

I'd rather C2E than work!

Flames are staying put - maybe training camp at Max Bell or Saskatoon.

And no - no new arena.
    ... gobsmacked

Redford announces an initial $1 billion for flood-ravaged southern Alberta

Looks like they're going to move fast on recovery. Hopefully those who need the money most get it quickly.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I'm sure Calgary has a bunch of stuff going on in the backrooms in terms of a plan for a new arena. To me the flooding doesn't impact that in the slightest. They need a place to play for the next three years no matter what, and that's going to be the Saddledome.

An initial one billion dollars allocated to flood relieve by Redford government. Now, this will be interesting. According to CTV News this one billion will be available for up to 10 years. I can see in the future when Calgary is asking for a new arena/football pitch that they will be accessing this money to pay for them. After all, their Saddledome was under water and damaged.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...749/story.html
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

Alberta shelved major flood report for six years

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle12771618/
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

highlander

There is next to no possibility that there will be flood money towards a new arena in Calgary. The saddle dome will still need to perform for 5 years or so, they won't be cheating out to save up for a new place. I expect that any government money that goes to stampede park will be linked to specific contracts, not a lump sum to use as they see fit.

^or they will use this opportunity to do a massive renovation and put off a new arena for 20 years.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

C2E Super Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    Who's backpedaling? I stand by my comment...

I understand the point you're desperately trying to shoehorn in, it's just that it has no relevance what so ever to my post.

Though I must say that having occasionally waded through one or two of your other verbose meanderings, the fact that you have once again grasped the wrong end of the stick comes as no real surprise.
    I am not shoehorning in anything. I am telling you outright that your comments are WRONG!. Tell any of the people in Calgary, High River, Canmore or from any other affected community who have lost their home, businesses or will be laid off for weeks or months until they can go back to work, that the threatening clouds above them have silver linings. You would be tarred and feathered and then beat you with that stick you speak of.

Your comments remain insensitive to their loses that will affect them for months or years and you lack any basic understanding of the economics of such a disaster.
    You obviously lack any understanding of how this will play out financially in the months and years to come.

And your trite "insensitive" comment is just too funny considering the only thing you and most posters here seem concerned about is whether Calgary can screw a new arena out of this.

Horse biscuits
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

C2E Continued Contributor

I would suspect Harper would offer some federal money for a new arena for Calgary, based on the flooding events. Redford would also offer some sort financial support down the line. They're both from Calgary, and there is now a reason to fund it.

Edmonton is on its own.
    The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
    It's heaven and hell!

C2E Long Term Contributor

Another victim of the flood, this time at the Saddledome...the decapitated head of Harvey the Hound

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

^ Craig Mac T wanted for questioning...

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...-caked-in-mud/
    I'm having people over later to stare at their phones,if you want to drop by

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Albert flood recovery could take ten years

The scope of the property loss is slowly coming to light. I was listening to CBC Radio in my car and there was an interview with a Calgary restaurant owner who lost his business of 13 years and his house that was attached to the restaurant. Although you couldn't see his face, the sense of loss was palpable in his voice and the radio reporter eloquently described the sense of shock in his face as he slowly absorbed the magnitude of what happened to him and his family Homeless, jobless and not even a change of fresh clothing. Terribly sad.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Ben Gadd, who lives beside Cougar Creek, has a good write up on how things went down there complete with a lot of amazing photos.

Something he points out, that I hadn't thought of, is "Like a river floodplain, an alluvial fan is a lousy place upon which to build houses."

Also:

The artificial channel of Cougar Creek has proved vulnerable twice before, when flash floods smaller than this one damaged it. But it was repaired rather than upgraded enough to function as a true floodway. Bad mistake. This time it failed completely.
    Based on that it sounds like not only was there bad planning in terms of where to build in Canmore but also they had warnings in terms of past events.

"Civilization exists by geological consent, subject to change without notice." - Will Durant

Found this funny..

Is that writer known for being a comedy writer? Because if not, I'm absolutely outraged by that.

Well now i wish we never sent them any sort of help with comments like that bunch of twats.

Quote Originally Posted by darkmagnoblade View Post
    Well now i wish we never sent them any sort of help with comments like that bunch of twats.
    Um, the Edmonton comment was from the writer at the National Post, probably in Toronto, not from the Calgary editorials.

It clearly states right at the beginning that its the Calgary herald's editorialists.

It clearly states right at the beginning that its the Calgary herald's editorialists.
    And it clearly has quote marks around the parts actually from Calgary papers. The last sentence is outside the quotes and written by the author of the NP piece.

Here are some examples of actual Calgary editorials:

http://www.calgaryherald.com/opinion...272/story.html

http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/06/23...h-others-backs

A lot of talk about the province coming together and gratefulness for all the help. The traditional Edmonton/Calgary sniping has been set aside until the mess is cleaned up.

Set aside my ***! Do you have proof it wasn't them that said this then?

Paul is right. While it appears that the NP writer deliberately wrote it in a way that would read as if the Calgary Herald said it, they did not.

Punctuation is everything.

It's pretty clear to me that the last line of that Post piece is meant as a send-up of the supposedly tribalistic attitude of the Herald writers previously quoted. It's Calgary that's being mocked(however gently), not Edmonton.

I think the piece is from Chris Selley's column. He does a regular round-up of editorial opinions from across the country, and adds his own sometimes caustic commentary.

Yes, I read the actual Calgary Herald editorial the NP blurb quoted. I even included a link to it for you to check out. There has been nothing I've seen in the Herald disparaging Edmonton.

Nobody would put a sentence like that in a real editorial. It's like when you see someone writing "I'm an NDPer who wants everyone to be forced into a same-sex marriage at gunpoint", or "I'm a Tory who wants to enslave this country to our rightful Yankee overlords", you know it's not really written by someone who holds those views.

Quote Originally Posted by overoceans View Post
    It's pretty clear to me that the last line of that Post piece is meant as a send-up of the supposedly tribalistic attitude of the Herald writers previously quoted. It's Calgary that's being mocked(however gently), not Edmonton.

I think the piece is from Chris Selley's column. He does a regular round-up of editorial opinions from across the country, and adds his own sometimes caustic commentary.
    Yup. It appears here in his regular round-up:

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/...ot-rained-out/

Well regardless if it was them or not it should not have been said in the first place!

Well regardless if it was them or not it should not have been said in the first place!
    Dude, the sentence is a SATIRE on Calgary booseterism. Since the traditional rival of Calgary is Edmonton, Selley lampoons the CALGARIANS by portraying them as having a wackadoodle superiority complex against Edmonton.

So, no one is insulting Edmonton in the column. It is mocking the editorial writers of the Calgary Herald.

Dude, the sentence is a SATIRE on Calgary booseterism. Since the traditional rival of Calgary is Edmonton, Selley lampoons the CALGARIANS by portraying them as having a wackadoodle superiority complex against Edmonton.

So, no one is insulting Edmonton in the column. It is mocking the editorial writers of the Calgary Herald.
    Still at the expense of Edmonton though.

Definitely and we shouldn't let some knucklehead in Toronto lead us to disparage our neighbours.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post

Only if you think that Selley really wants us to believe that about Edmonton. But it's pretty clear that he wants us to laugh at Calgarians for(in his view) having an unjustified sense of their own superiority. To the extent that he's expressing any opinion at all about Edmonton, it would be sympathy about the way some Calgarians rag on us.

Trust me, very few readers of that column are going to take the anti-Edmonton line seriously.

Holy ishtay, Darkie.. You never read The Onion or other satire blogs? Lighten up.

^Im sorry but no i don't take kindly to us getting talked **** about by some half wit in T.O when we gave them our resources when we could have just gave them the big FU.

Only if you think that Selley really wants us to believe that about Edmonton. But it's pretty clear that he wants us to laugh at Calgarians for(in his view) having an unjustified sense of their own superiority. To the extent that he's expressing any opinion at all about Edmonton, it would be sympathy about the way some Calgarians rag on us.

Trust me, very few readers of that column are going to take the anti-Edmonton line seriously.
    I'm not a regular reader of the column, so I'll take your word on that. I understand that it's a very Jon Stewart-like approach, but in print the reader doesn't get the benefit of the over-the-top theatrics and obvious sarcasm that I'm sure was intended here. Still, even if it's not his intention, it does further the stereotypical view of Edmonton being 2nd rate to anybody who isn't a regular reader or does not grasp his intended wit.

It's a poorly worded and ill-considered joke from the NP at this time, but what do you expect from right-wing media? That's how they roll.

Sidenote & Fun Fact: during the 2003 Eastern Seaboard Blackout, an event I experienced firsthand, there were a few sporadic reports of looting in Ottawa. There was no reported looting in Toronto. None.
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

No.. it's sarcastic... Calgary acting like they are the only ones who can pull together or do it the best is just silly. Hence the ridiculous comparison to the fact that Edmonton would turn into a version of Thunderdome a la Mad Max
    Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 28-06-2013 at 02:10 PM.

ok now read my other post.

Even though it's a jab at Calgary, it's still a comment in which Calgary is put ahead of Edmonton, and as such, it is at the expense of Edmonton.

Not a funny joke, and completely unacceptable to write that about any municipality in Canada, let alone one that showed so much compassion to its southern neighbours in their time of need.
    Don't feed the trolls!

^We are talking about this more in the rants section now.

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...ad.php?t=33448

I posted that right as Admin moved it I believe.
    Don't feed the trolls!

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Found this lil jem when we had our own flooding. Didnt look like we were a smoking hole in the ground at all.

I lusted hard for Jacqueline Clarke!

^Who dont you lust for.......

Your mom...even I have standards.

BAM!

^Wow a mom joke your so cool......

Found this lil jem when we had our own flooding. Didnt look like we were a smoking hole in the ground at all.

More of sudden "big hair" on governmental employees and people being forced to use rotary phones!

Default This Huge Land Scar Near Calgary Was Made by Hail

"The city of Calgary lucked out during Saturday's foul weather, but the commuter town of Airdrie about 18 miles north did not – it got pounded like a gun-range target by a brutal hailstorm that left the ugly land scar you see above.

The National Weather Service office in Gaylord, Michigan, tweeted the image today with the appropriate description of "amazing." The hail swath measured about a half-mile wide but stretched on for 75 miles, to believe one weatherhead's account at Ontario Storms, which also has this nutso footage:"

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/nei...ade-hail/6133/

I almost thought the writer was going to say that if it happened in Calgary, instead of Airdrie, there'd a smoking hole and a bunch of twitchy-eyed, machete wielding savages.

Please stop the Hail ;-( ... We have dealt with over 130 hail calls in the last 4 business days.

I am a very cranky broker.

May be lessons to learn here...

Flood-proof homes the Dutch way - BBC News
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-26302176

A floating home is an interesting idea, however in most cases the dikes being built are more than adequate for the vast majority of places. The High River mayor has stated that he thinks the river diversion canal isn't needed.

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...gh-river-mayor

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    A floating home is an interesting idea, however in most cases the dikes being built are more than adequate for the vast majority of places. The High River mayor has stated that he thinks the river diversion canal isn't needed.

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...gh-river-mayor
    I don't know. Relying on the politicians views is what delayed preventative measures in the first place. Who do you listen to? Experts or politicians?
    Last edited by KC; 01-07-2015 at 04:10 PM.

I trust a hydrology expert over a politician, but are the current measures adequate?

Here is a copy of the Deltares report
    http://alberta.ca/albertacode/images...salsReview.pdf

Worth reading...

To stop Alberta's natural events from becoming disasters, we must act now
    GLENN MCGILLIVRAY
    Contributed to The Globe and Mail
    Published Friday, Aug. 05, 2016

The province is also marbled with large rivers, many of which originate in the Rockies, where snowmelt can combine with rainwater to bring extreme flooding of the kind seen in Calgary and area in 2005 and 2013.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle31298372/

When it comes to Mother Nature Mother Nature usually wins. If she's fierce enough she'll breach damns or any other barrier humans put in her way.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

This isn't exactly new news. Before the dams floods occurred regularly in the province and even after, I still remember the one in 1986. Meh. Don't build on floodplains and it can be mitigated, problem is for the last couple hundred years no one thought of that. Too far to fetch water I guess.

In the US they are having their once-in-a-thousand-year-flood.

Baton Rouge floods broke a record many thought would never be broken

In just two days 21.86 inches of rain fell in Livingston, Louisiana, according to National Weather Service gauges. Keim noted that tops the threshold of 20.7 inches for a 1,000-year rainfall event for that period

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/08/17/baton...be-broken.html
    Last edited by KC; 18-08-2016 at 01:12 AM.

If my brother was a house mover.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12