Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Canada Safeway sold to Sobeys

C2E Continued Contributor

Walked into Sobeys *cough* I mean Co-op at Lessard yesterday, but didn't realize it had changed over, didn't notice the sign when walking in. Took a few minutes to realize what that things were different.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Sale starts today at Co-op by me anyway and some super deals!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

As per usual Millwoods gets the crap. Co-op opening up in the Safeway. Not interested in shopping there in the slightest.

looks like Save on and Sobeys get all my business now.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

The Co-op at Millwoods Town Centre is only open until 11:00, so I didn't get to go in. It appears they have also taken over the gas bar, so that should be handy for someone who signs onto the Co-Op and is working towards a dividend.

It makes sense that Sobey's had to divest at least one store in the area; there already are two Sobey's very close together, the one at 28th avenue and 64th street, only five blocks north of the Co-Op, and the other 50th street and 23 avenue (which is still open until midnight, luckily for me the night I was out ).

Nice to see Co ops around. Having lived in Calgary and area quite a bit they are popular and well organized there and are said to have 30% of the grocery market there. Another competitor can't be bad.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Safeway covenants not being lifted by Sobeys

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin..._lsa=b313-87a2
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

highlander

The article notes that Sobeys won't be lifting the covenants "before they expire". That's interesting to be because I hadn't heard of a time limit on these Covenants before.

There a bit about expiry where the owner can request its removal ...
    http://www.servicealberta.ca/pdf/ltmanual/res-1.pdf

Section 48 of the Land Titles Act covers this ...
    http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/acts/l04.pdf#page=30

One way the provincial government can remove them "... the modification or discharge is in the public interest." or in a land use conflict.

Personally I think it is bad business for Sobey's to keep these restrictions for goodwill and PR reasons.
    Last edited by sundance; 20-05-2014 at 08:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Safeway covenants not being lifted by Sobeys

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin..._lsa=b313-87a2
    Not that I needed another reason to NOT shop at Sobeys, but here one is.

Sobeys' really is second rate compared to other grocers
    Parkdale

Got to Millwoods Co-Op last night five minutes before close. It was nice that no one bothered me on entry to the store about it closing right away. Prices seemed reasonable.

Co-Op bought the store lock, stock, and shopping carts; the carts are the same as Safeway with a Co-Op plaque screwed over the Safeway decal; you could even see the Safeway logo on one cart where the plaque had fallen off

I now know part of the reason the 64th street Sobey's can prosper relatively close to the 50th street one; the 64th street store is located very close to the Grey Nuns, and I imagine they probably get quite a bit of business from people using the hospital.

I have to say the meat selection at the Millwoods Town Centre Co-Op is decent especially the burgers. Bakery needs some work as they still didn't have that area stocked the last two times I was there. Here's hoping they keep the chocolate chip bagels that Safeway used to have cause it's the only place that had them.

The Coop near me is totally renovating the building into new like conditions. That's a plus from the run down Sobeys. It's quite exciting and has been quite busy. I like it, and much better prices than Sobeys, and fresher.

The Mill Woods town centre safeway is now a CO-OP

to be honest I could care less about the tower... I want to know what is happening on the block where the winter garden lands...

I am very concerned that nothing has been released regarding this.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    to be honest I could care less about the tower... I want to know what is happening on the block where the winter garden lands...

I am very concerned that nothing has been released regarding this.
    Tower? Winter Garden? Is there a new Safeway (Sobeys or whatever) going up near Rogers Place?

Mack Male just posted this on twitter:

Sobeys has confirmed to me that the 104 Street location will close July 31. I'll have details tomorrow.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

I hope we get something else asap. I shop there a few times a week. In hindsight that may explain why the never spent $$ on a remodel of the coffee bar area after the oyster bar concept fizzled. Maybe the writing on the wall has been there from a sales volume for a while.

Better be replaced by a different grocer. My place is a block away and the save-on is so out of the way. I will miss the cheese deli.
    Go down a few dark alleys.

I blame it on the lifestyle images covering the windows, it looked like it was closed every time I walked by.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

"The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

I'm having people over later to stare at their phones,if you want to drop by

^that's a shame. The store never really made sense to me though, why wouldn't you walk a few blocks more and get a better deal at the Saveon? And if you aren't walking, then save a lot more at Walmart or Superstore (which are the real reason why all these stores need to be closed). I'm not rich enough to pay a couple hundred more each month to shop at Sobeys, Safeway or Saveon, ahead of Walmart and Superstore, aside from those without vehciles, it suprirses me some people are.

If you follow your logic why do people shop at 7-11 or Macs, where prices are even higher on most items?

Convenience.

A lot more people working in the core can hit this sobeys in 5-10 minute walk. Saveons is a good 20 or more for many...

My take from the comments here and on the downtown retail thread is that the evenings that were killing this place, margin wise.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Unfortunate, the convenience of the location for those who live on 104th was fantastic. However as I've said numerous times on this board, I always found the location to be extremely poorly run. Expired food still on the shelves, stock levels out of whack, frequently not having staples like bread, and prices that were 20% or more higher than Save-On just 5 blocks away.

Maybe their lack of sales was due in part to how poorly run it was, maybe there's simply still not enough people in the area to support it, or maybe the Save-On was just too close. In any case, it's unfortunate. Hopefully the space isn't vacant long, and something else that's good for the area takes it. While a grocery store would be nice, I'm keeping an open mind.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Top_Dawg figgers it'll be ages before anything succeeds on that corner.

Curse o'the Cecil.

Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

My vote is for poorly run. It opened while I was still in north Downtown. I went there half a dozen times but each time was appalled by the check out process (they had to remodel these). It was chaotic and slow and inconvenient.

I never went there while I was in Garneau, of course, because I had my own Urban Sobeys in the building. I found that one much more logically set up though still had weird inventory which seems to be a mark of these stores. (For instance, even though the apartments that provided a lot of its business were equipped with dishwashers, they didn't have the good dishwasher soap.)

But when I came back downtown, I started going to the downtown one again. Not for general grocery shopping because that would be an exercise in futility. But for special items that they had.

Prices didn't bother me at all. I ate out several times a week for years and that nearly broke me (I'm still paying off the debt). I know that a lot of the condo dwellers also eat out a lot. In my calculation, any dollar I spend in a grocery store is a saving on eating out. There's a role for specialty deli and higher priced products and I hope that something replaces that. Perhaps Earth's Grocery will see their opportunity and move in. I think a Whole Foods would do very well there also (assuming they are decently run from both a floor space and inventory basis).

I'll miss Sobeys but I prefer the Save On which is closer to my apartment.

Eve

It certainly wasn't run well.

Checkouts were a complete gong show for the longest time. That cafe area used to be nice, but when they didn't get enough business, they used it as "storage" (they just piled up a bunch of unsightly trash there). Then they removed a lot of unique items they used to carry (tuna steaks, fig jam, etc.), and they had a glut of empty shelves. Then they covered the windows over, and stopped opening the windows and that sidewalk patio.

they transformed it from a neat, unique grocery shopping place into Edmonton's biggest convenience store. I stopped going there a couple of years ago because there was absolutely no reason to go out of my way to shop there anymore.

I liked to go to Sobeys on Jasper Ave, at lunch time for their soup.

I will miss the store.
    The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
    It's heaven and hell!

C2E Bandwidth Hog

It will be interesting to see what happens to their Sobeys Urban near the U of A and Safeway 3 blocks away.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Apparently that one is safe.

Eve

So I don't understand why they are opening up a new one this week in Newcastle.
    I know they closed the 97st one and from what I heard were suppose to build inside Griesbach, but that's been put on hold I hear.

This sounds like very poor planning.

Myself, I have never really shopped at Sobey's.
    I find them and Safeway too expensive.
    Edmonton ~ It may not be perfect, but it's home~

I'll still shop at the Sobey's across the street, but I'm going to limit it to absolute emergencies. I was already personally disappointed due to the Griesbach fiasco, and now with the botched Jasper Ave store - including arrogance in the face of community criticism when it opened - I simply have no desire to support this group or recommend them to anyone.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    So I don't understand why they are opening up a new one this week in Newcastle.
    I know they closed the 97st one and from what I heard were suppose to build inside Griesbach, but that's been put on hold I hear.

This sounds like very poor planning.

Myself, I have never really shopped at Sobey's.
    I find them and Safeway too expensive.
    The newcastle one is right across the street from a Walmart as well. Unless prices drop to similar levels as Walmart, I will continue going to Walmart.

Earth's General Store could fill the void somewhat.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/retai...506/story.html
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

Partially Addicted to C2E

I don't understand how the Sobey's on Jasper could be labeled as "underperforming". Have any of the bigwigs tried walking through there from 11-2? That place is packed all the time.

outside of the lunch rush, it was under performing. Ever go there on a weeknight?

A store like that needs more than a lunch rush to be profitable. I'd imagine that location isn't the cheapest to lease per sqft...

Bigwigs don't need to go in between 11-2. You have sales receipts and real numbers and dollar figures to work with.

That said, the store would've done better had it listened to the community, and had better produce and prices.

I don't buy sobey's story about underperforming at downtown and even at 5 pm it is still busy everyday
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

So you think there's a conspiracy and Sobey's is actually closing a store that's pulling in major profits? Use your head.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

I will believe it , if sobeys reveal the evidence as why downtown Sobey's is closed due to underperforming.
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Give it a rest, jag. A company isn't going to open their books and show you that they aren't making enough money off the downtown store. The fact is, they say it's underperforming and they're going to close it. If it were performing well then they'd keep it open. They're a business, and a business is out to make money. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    ^that's a shame. The store never really made sense to me though, why wouldn't you walk a few blocks more and get a better deal at the Saveon? And if you aren't walking, then save a lot more at Walmart or Superstore (which are the real reason why all these stores need to be closed). I'm not rich enough to pay a couple hundred more each month to shop at Sobeys, Safeway or Saveon, ahead of Walmart and Superstore, aside from those without vehciles, it suprirses me some people are.
    How much cheaper is the Wal-Mart? If it's 20% cheaper that means you must be spending $800.00 a month on groceries. If I bought that many groceries a month I guess I would be quite concerned about price as well.

As I posted on the Albany Centre thread, despite closure of other Sobey's, Sobey's has opened up a brand new, very large Sobey's on 127th street and 167 avenue.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaser View Post
    I don't understand how the Sobey's on Jasper could be labeled as "underperforming". Have any of the bigwigs tried walking through there from 11-2? That place is packed all the time.
    I've only been there once so I really have no clue, but could it be that you get a lot of "10 to 12 items in a basket" type of shoppers at this location, as opposed to the big family shopping carts full?

Addicted to C2E

The '10 or 12' items in a basket seems to work well for Loblaws T&T brand ,but you have to have a clientele which shop loyally and daily.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

U
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaser View Post
    regardless of how "packed all the time" you seen to remember it for 3 hours out of 24, i'm pretty sure those "bigwigs" knew to the penny how much money they were leaving behind and what their margins were and how much it cost to keep the doors open. i'm also pretty sure they wouldn't be closing a profitable store. they gave it five years - which is three more than starbuck's would invest - and they were good corporate citizens throughout (even supporting a market in front of their front door that not only sells produce but meat and poultry and fish and deli meats and honey and baked goods...). could they have done some things different including store design and operations? probably. but those bigwigs probably also knew what that would have cost and what the potential return might have been. the store isn't closing because of some ignorant bigwigs. the store is closing because not enough neighbors spent enough money often enough to keep the doors open.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

I think their reason for closing down some locations makes pragmatic sense dispite my dissappointment. They will most likely restructure to compete with Walmart and the likes. Safeway's failure was because they didn't keep up with time. High prices when Superstore, walmart, Costco and the likes are cheaper. The 104st. may be busy, but the others are like a zoo and shutting them out.

In the rare instance I differ with Ken about something substantial, I highly suspect the decision was not made on profitability alone, but likely much, much moreso that on their maps they saw the Oliver Square Safeway as:

1. "covering the same base"
    2. Owned real estate rather than leased
    3. Much larger backroom storage areas requiring fewer deliveries
    4. "Free Parking" out in front
    5. Much more similar to how they're accustomed to doing business

And of that, mostly the last item.

All of their managers grew up as suburban managers and were transplanted into the urban environment. The store design and targets initially would have reflected the experience of someone "out East" or somewhere who did know what urban required to succeed (although likely in a more advanced downtown) thus it truly was an exciting urban experience in the first year or so, and had they kept it up could have become a destination shopping experience drawing on everyone who frequented downtown.

Instead they retreated to suburban targets and practices and made themselves little more than rivals of the Jasper Avenue 7-11.

I truly believe they are mistaken if they believe they will have their current customer base transplant themselves to Oliver Square, and far more likely they will give up prime real estate in arguably the most accessible, the most accessed. the fastest growing, and quickly becoming the most prestigious market in the Edmonton Region to a competitor more driven to execute on the ground.

Loblaws City Market?
    Family Foods?
    Lucky 97?
    Whole Foods?
    Box?
    Metro?
    Italian Centre?

Whomever, I'm certain they will inherit essentially all of Sobeys' current customers. Whomever has every opportunity to win back Sobeys former customers. Whomever will watch Fox 1 and 2 and Ultima and Encore and Lamb and Lamb and AED condos and hotels all rise within a brisk daily walk. Whomever will own that opportunity Sobeys gave up to become a region-known premium shopping destination.

And if they can execute, better for them and all of us.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

I'm sure Sobey's knows what business they have given up and I doubt they expect all their customers will migrate to the Safeway at Oliver Square. I doubt they are losing sleep worried about how well their replacements might do.

Did Safeway own the Oliver Square location?

^ true, probably just looking at sales psf at Oliver Square now, completely oblivious as you say.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

I don't buy the proximity to Oliver Square Safeway excuse. Need I keep reminding you all that Whyte Ave has a Sobeys Urban and a Safeway 3 blocks away from each other?

And those two grocery stores are in a very high density area both from the work (UofA Hospital, UofA) and the residential aspects (Windsor Park Plaza has at least 700 households in a single building).

But then I was told by someone on this board that Family Foods on Jasper and the Save On in Cromdale were both in high proximity to residents in north Downtown.

Eve

While I agree the downtown Sobeys was poorly run, I think part of the reason they're keeping the UofA Sobeys open is because the Safeway will be closed for a couple of years for redevelopment. When it reopens, I expect the Sobeys will close.

The fate of the downtown Sobeys is a small part of the whole. Fifty or so stores are being closed.

At a VERY conservative estimate, forty employees per store, that's at least two thousand people whose jobs are at stake if they are not transferred.

The potential market for the UofA Sobey's and DT Sobey's are not even close. UofA and area are significantly more densely populated.

Still doesn't excuse Sobey's for running the DT location so poorly.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

That is true, but getting good talent to run the stores is another story. Alberta has such high prosperity compare to the national that jobs like this are ignored. Had this been during the 90s recession era, that would have been different. When you have people leaving jobs that required university degrees for oil patch, that says a lot.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Quote Originally Posted by mdmenzel View Post
    While I agree the downtown Sobeys was poorly run, I think part of the reason they're keeping the UofA Sobeys open is because the Safeway will be closed for a couple of years for redevelopment. When it reopens, I expect the Sobeys will close.
    Good point.

It's 80% just them trying to cover the map "efficiently", exactly the reason they opened it in the first place before buying Safeway, exactly the same as Safeway opening Oli Square, and the same again as Loblaw hoped Kingsway Superstore would do: serve the "central zone" and ignoring the unique characteristics of the downtown neighbourhood.

And the other 20% was their inability to compete with a 7-11.

Anyone who blames a market of 60,000 daytime professionals and 14,000 higher average income permanent population in walking distance for not supporting the local shop is completely missing the point. If a business can't figure out a way to make money with those kind of numbers in that location with that building, they're simply not a very entrepreneurial operation.

Really anxious to see someone step into the downtown opportunity the right way.

Hope that means luxury food destination for the entire city, but I suppose high volumes done right could do it too.

Was anyone blaming the 60,000 daytime professionals or the 14,000 higher income permanent residents for the store closure?
    What would make something a "luxury food" destination for the entire city?
    I would think that something that was owner operated would work better in that location.

1. Yeah, that sentiment has been voiced.

2. Think Italian Centre, Planet Organic and maybe Zenari's put together and a titch moreso. Lot's of cities around the globe have exactly that and every once in a while it seems everyone goes and gets something there. On lunch hour, pick up some exotic sauces or pastas or cheeses or gourmet quality spices, plus top quality offerings to round out the lower margin items to bring home at night. From my own background I'd cite Kinokunia in Aoyama Tokyo, but it doesn't need to be quite that, just the place to go when you need something more exotic than the neighbourhood Sobeys or Superstore offers. In fact, not far from what Sobeys originally tried on Jasper before dumbing down, or what Urban Fare tried in a far too low density location 15 odd years ago.

The idea is that to pay the rent you need margins (or humungous volume). Meanwhile the city would really benefit from a central go-to store for first class foods.

3. No objections to that, but if it's Urban Fare coming back, or Loblaw along the lines of the Maple Leaf Gardens store, I'm okay with that too.

Sunterra market seems to fit that bill pretty well? No? Would love to see something like that go into Sobeys 104. The one we have now is so cramped and fairly off the normal path of many.

I agree. I can rarely shop at the Commerce Place location because it is so very crowded and chaotic. They would benefit from a more capacious location. (In addition to the Commerce Place.)

Eve

Sunterra?

Hmmmmn.

I have to be honest, I know nearly nothing about them. Last time I was in there was in the '90's.

Coincidentally the few times I might have gone in more recently to check them out, they were too busy and I just went to the Commerce food court instead.

Haven't been to any other location at all.

Aren't they just a deli?

And I think to be a true destination it would have to be clearly above their other locations, thus I say a mix of Italian Centre and Planet Organic, which would put it ahead of either, rather than covering the same ground (and now that I think about it, something like Dutchess Bakery having a corner would be a neat addition as well.)

Not trying to be facetious or anything, I promise, but I can't offer any thoughts about Sunterra.

They're a deli, plus a lunch place. They have several stations including two stew type things called the Big Pan, a window that dispenses full meals, plus pizzas plus a pasta dish, a very large salad bar, etc. They also have a small collection of groceries but not the sort of thing that encourages a full shopping. I think if they got a bigger place they could do more of that.

Eve

Sorry - I guess I should qualify what I meant. You need to visit more than one sunterra market to understand really, the one in commerce place is a bad example of what they can be...

See the ones in (bankers hall??) in Calgary... that's more closer to what I'm thinking.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Just to repeat myself from the Downtown Retail thread, Sunterra is likely not going anywhere. Yes the Commerce Place location is cramped but all they need to do is get rid of that ridiculous and unused smoothie bar in the middle of the floor. Sunterra could easily support 2 downtown locations (there's at least 3 of them just in Calgary's +15), with the current one being a lunching spot while the Sobeys space could be more of the Lendrum concept.

^ I'd be okay with a new location, I wasn't suggesting moving... or even that it has to be sunterra, but something similar to that... Open it from 7am - 8pm. I think we are both agreeing about what type of sunterra it could be though (more of the lendrum than the commerce place)

Nobody has been suggesting that Sunterra move (at the risk of repeating *myself*).

Eve

I'll have to check out the one in Lendrum, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    2. Think Italian Centre, Planet Organic and maybe Zenari's put together and a titch moreso. Lot's of cities around the globe have exactly that and every once in a while it seems everyone goes and gets something there. On lunch hour, pick up some exotic sauces or pastas or cheeses or gourmet quality spices, plus top quality offerings to round out the lower margin items to bring home at night. From my own background I'd cite Kinokunia in Aoyama Tokyo, but it doesn't need to be quite that, just the place to go when you need something more exotic than the neighbourhood Sobeys or Superstore offers. In fact, not far from what Sobeys originally tried on Jasper before dumbing down, or what Urban Fare tried in a far too low density location 15 odd years ago.
    If you were old enough and grew up in Edmonton during the 1960s to mid-1980s you just described Woodward's at Edmonton Centre.

They had an European type deli with plenty of unique food products. There was always a line up as you had to wait for your number to be called. The regular grocery department was as well stocked as any other grocery chain. The place was busy even on weekday evenings when we did our family grocery trips.

The Hudson Bay also had a decent grocery department in their building a block away.

Hard to imagine back in the 1970s/80s the downtown core was able to support two grocery stores considering hardly anyone resided there.

Woodwards downtown was great. I'd often pick up a few things on my way home. Didn't have to do the big shop nearly as often.

Good point.

That's exactly what I hope downtown gets (back.) I have no doubt Woodward's Food Floor would have evolved right along with the world's downtowns' best.

Hard to imagine back in the 1970s/80s the downtown core was able to support two grocery stores considering hardly anyone resided there.
    Excellent point. Kinda makes you wonder... is the 104 street Sobey's really "underperforming" or is it just not reaping modern day profits like most of those in the suburbs?

Woodward's was also able to operate in an era when Safeway had a massive monopoly and were able to charge high prices. Woodward's did not have to compete in today's competitive environment.

Back then, there was no superstore, walmart, savon, or sobies either. When i first arrived to Canada, safeway, IGA, and coop where the options for the mass. Superstore entered the game somwhere around 1983-85.

^
    ^^

But that's exactly the mentality that has Sobey's leaving Jasper. It shouldn't be "competing" on either product or price. That location can't.

But what that location can do is attract within walking distance larger numbers of well-off people than any other in the city every weekday (and soon every game night...)

Imagine any expensive imported European food product that maybe only 1,000 people spread across the City are interested in paying for: where do they get it?

Wal-Mart?

Do Dutchess Bakery's patrons seriously think "hmmm, this delicate pastry, or a bag of 64 dry tasteless buns for the same price?"

Emphatically not.

(Not to say that everybody agrees, of course, which is perfectly okay. Obviously the Big Box Free Parking volume volume and more volume model has it's fans. That is the whole point, different people at different times demand different things.)

True Woodwards didn't exist in the world of Superstores and Super Centres, but actually Planet Organic and the Italian Centre (and Sunterra) coexist perfectly well in the SuperEra exactly because gee whiz, their customers are not unicorns. They're real, and they exercise their choice.

We have a genuine niche for a premium grocery proprietor just like we have a niche for the likes of Tres Carnales and Corso 32. That niche presently is being "served" by running around all corners of the City if we can be bothered, or in many cases, not being served at all.
    Last edited by JayBee; 30-06-2014 at 08:44 PM.

Looks like there is some work starting up in the old Beverly Sobeys, last two days I have seen workers around the loading dock. Hopefully this means a new grocery store!

And hopefully not another goodwill. The old sobeys site on 137th Ave and 97th street has also been sold. Wondering what's going in there.

Quote Originally Posted by JJMorrocco View Post
    Looks like there is some work starting up in the old Beverly Sobeys, last two days I have seen workers around the loading dock. Hopefully this means a new grocery store!
    Loblaws; No Frills.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

I have a buddy that lives not too far from there so Ill pass it along that something is going on there. Rumour is it's going to be a No Frills.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
    And hopefully not another goodwill. The old sobeys site on 137th Ave and 97th street has also been sold. Wondering what's going in there.
    There's a Goodwill on 137th. & 50th Street, Manning Crossing. It might be too close.

No Frills should do well in that spot. It covers the middle ground between Walmart and Safeway nicely, and the closest Loeblaws store is the Superstore in Clairview, a long ways away, so there's no overlap there.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    I have a buddy that lives not too far from there so Ill pass it along that something is going on there. Rumour is it's going to be a No Frills.
    Great! I'm waiting for it!

Yup. Through the Beverly grapevine all everyone seems to be saying is No Frills. It will be welcomed for sure!
    FREE THE LOOPING .GIF MEMES
    youtube.com/GrimEmpire

It's official. My buddy said the sign is up now. No Frills is going into the mall across from Abbotsfield Mall were the old Sobey's was.

C2E Posting Power

Still no word on what is replacing Sobeys on 104th?
    YEG lifer. Phillips liver.

Ya, that's an important location. Hopefully it doesn't sit empty for long.

Although not Edmonton-related, but interesting read...

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/ca...933/story.html
    The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
    It's heaven and hell!

Thoroughly impressed with the Gold Bar TGP so far.. Meats and veggies far superior to Sobeys, and a very community minded store as well.
    Parkdale

C2E Posting Power

Save On on 109th was lined up around the back of the store yesterday evening... Every time I have been in there since Sobeys on 104th closed, it has been an absolute nightmare.
    Hard to sell me on the fact that there is not a market for more grocery stores downtown...

It'll be even worse once Family Foods closes as well although some of their clientele are likely close to Oliver Square so Safeway may pick up the slack.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

I can't imagine that Sobey's space will be empty for long. Surely other grocers see an opportunity there.

^ well, unless sobey's has some sort of caveat on the property, like safeway did with their old locations...

That would suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodmanza View Post
    Save On on 109th was lined up around the back of the store yesterday evening... Every time I have been in there since Sobeys on 104th closed, it has been an absolute nightmare.
    Hard to sell me on the fact that there is not a market for more grocery stores downtown...
    Lining up for food. Seems kind of third worldish

C2E Bandwidth Hog

^^^ That question was already asked and answered: Sobeys only rented the Jasper Ave location, they did not own it. So no caveat.

The first Tuesday of the month is always the worst time to go grocery shopping, as many stores offer discounts that day (including Save On). When I lived downtown I always found myself there picking up one or two things that day, and it drove me nuts.

^That Save On is brilliant, it anchored rail town, isn't as horrible as the Safeway in Oliver Square (at least most of the parking is not visible from the street thanks to the strip mall), and it hits its demographic perfectly in terms of what it stocks, and how it prices them. That's the competition for anyone else who wants to give it a go downtown, its easier said than done.

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    The first Tuesday of the month is always the worst time to go grocery shopping, as many stores offer discounts that day (including Save On). When I lived downtown I always found myself there picking up one or two things that day, and it drove me nuts.
    This was an extreme case, but it was not the only time it has been nuts as I said. I worked at Safeway actually for 7 years so I know full well the effects of the first Tuesday of the month!

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

And now the Terwillegar Sobeys location is closing as of October 2. This really sucks as there's now no Sobeys in the SW at all. The closest one is the Ellerslie and 111st location which isn't convenient for anybody in Riverbend/Terwillegar/Windermere. Hopefully the liquor store doesn't close too.

Sobey's is ditching their points and going Airmiles.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast