Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Canada Safeway sold to Sobeys

C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

This may seem like a lazy question, but what other grocers are there? Specifically who would they sell these properties to. They're a bit small for Superstores, I think. And they tend to be a bit large for independents.

Eve

I don't list Giant Tiger or Bargain Shoppe as grocers but I can there or see similar stores taking this space....

Quote Originally Posted by EveB View Post
    This may seem like a lazy question, but what other grocers are there? Specifically who would they sell these properties to. They're a bit small for Superstores, I think. And they tend to be a bit large for independents.

Eve
    Maybe Save-on-Foods? Maybe a Family Foods, like Champions on Jasper? No Frills? Or maybe a way to bring Co-Op back to Edmonton

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Eve
    not lazy at all if you're not in the business:

overwaitea food group (save-on-foods; overwaitea; coopers; pricesmart; urban fair)

loblaws (extra foods; no frills; superstore; loblaws; independent; valumart; fortino's; maxi; provigo; dominion; t and t foods; etc.)

whole foods (if they decide to come to canada, a "take-over" with a number of outlets may be attractive)

co-op stores may be interested in expanding in some of these markets and, as with whole foods, the option to acquire a number of outlets may be attractive.

[note: the attractiveness of multiple outlets is that distribution and stocking - particularly with dairy and meat and produce - is a big part of operating the grocery business and it isn't very "scalable" down to single stores for the big guys]

then there's the giant tigers and lucky 97's and the true independents like champions; the italian market; etc.

then there's the grocer's not mentioned above because the locations aren't suitable but that still sell groceries like walmart and target and costco who are too big and mac's and 7/eleven or some of the specialty butchers and bakers (local and chain) who would be too small.
    Last edited by kcantor; 23-10-2013 at 03:56 PM.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

C2E Bandwidth Hog

What about Bateman? I thought they still had a couple of IGAs in town.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

^^ Dominion is actually now Metro, a grocery chain out of Quebec. They are in Quebec and Ontario only.

Would LOVE to see Loblaw's here (the owners of Superstore). It's a higher-end grocery brand in Ontario and they would have that category all to themselves here. Vastly superior to Safeway or Sobey's. Not outrageously priced like Whole Foods or Urban Fare.

Speaking of that, how about Edmonton being the first Canadian market for Trader Joe's? It is an outstanding supermarket chain that started in Southern California that is most definitely a love brand in this category. Closest one to Canada is in Everett, Washington.

http://www.traderjoes.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    What about Bateman? I thought they still had a couple of IGAs in town.
    I think the chain died when the larger stores opened.

http://www.canadiangrocer.com/top-st...-its-best-6382

Freson Bros could buy up the stores if they're looking into getting into the larger areas. The only thing I can think of is since they're an IGA chain, would they be considered as competition to Sobey's.

http://www.freson.com/

I'd rather C2E than work!

Can somebody explain to me legally how Safeway could force a restrictive convenant on the sale of land? I know they did it (for example Highlands Safeway 118th Ave 66th Street) but I can't see how it can be legally enforceable. Federal, provincial and municipal covenants I do understand and make perfect sense (not watering your lawn or installing sprinkler system near the lip of the river valley for example), condo board rules where the majority or the board agree on certain terms, but not a private sale between two parties.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    Can somebody explain to me legally how Safeway could force a restrictive convenant on the sale of land? I know they did it (for example Highlands Safeway 118th Ave 66th Street) but I can't see how it can be legally enforceable. Federal, provincial and municipal covenants I do understand and make perfect sense (not watering your lawn or installing sprinkler system near the lip of the river valley for example), condo board rules where the majority or the board agree on certain terms, but not a private sale between two parties.
    it's fairly easy and very common, not just with grocery stores, and it works like this:

you own a business and you own the land and the building it operates on. it doesn't matter whether what that business is so let's assume it's an auto body shop. you outgrow the location and buy a new one across the street. you can't afford to keep both so you decide to sell the first one but you don't want to enable a competitor to be able to move in across the street and undercut your business so you sell it to someone else who does something else and who promises not to open an auto body shop. you then register that agreement/promise on title with a "restrictive covenant"...

it's really easy to say "whoever owns it should be able to do what they want" but that ignores the fact that in many cases that owner would not have been able to purchase it in the first place "for whatever they want" and may well have acquired it at a discount in exchange for accepting and maintaining the limitation. the original vendor had the right to restrict the use as long as he owned and is just passing that on as a condition of sale.

^
    Thanks, Ken, for the explanation.

I think there should be a government regulate statute of limitations on such caveats, or at least some legal means for a government to neutralize such a caveat, should it be against the public good. If the City can expropriate land to build the LRT or other projects, they should be able to remove a caveat when it is hurting a neighbourhood.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

In Safeway's case, they just closed stores, full stop. They didn't relocate. If they had another store within a certain radius then they expected customers to start going to that store. But as Ustauk said, there should be limits on those covenants. Say, for only a certain number of years. Or if there's no other grocery within walking or transit distance.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

In most cases there is a time limit attached.

Top_Dawg thought that the term was 25 years for the Safeway covenants signed in the early 80s and that they have all expired by now.

'Parently he is wrong once again.

I'm note sure if it falls under the realm of a covenant, but apparently the Safeway at Westmount Shopping Centre has a deal with the mall that they are the only ones able to carry produce within the mall. That's why the Westmount Walmart cannot carry produce of any kind (which it admittedly doesn't really have room for anyways).

First One is Always Free

Default co-op

Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post

Eve
    Maybe Save-on-Foods? Maybe a Family Foods, like Champions on Jasper? No Frills? Or maybe a way to bring Co-Op back to Edmonton
    I would like to see Federated Co-op havent a few groceries stores back in the Edmonton area. They have re-invented themselves with the Marketfresh groceries stores in Calgary, Saskatoon, Winnipeg and smaller communities. It depends if North Central Co-op wants to expand into the Edmonton market as it only as has a few service/convience stores in Edmonton and an Old Grocery/Home and Gas/Convience bar in Stony Plain.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    I'm note sure if it falls under the realm of a covenant, but apparently the Safeway at Westmount Shopping Centre has a deal with the mall that they are the only ones able to carry produce within the mall. That's why the Westmount Walmart cannot carry produce of any kind (which it admittedly doesn't really have room for anyways).
    those are what are referred to as "exclusive use" restrictions and they are made contractually between a tenant and a landlord. they "run with the lease" and not "with the land" so in this case if safeway ever left westmount, their store could go to another grocer and/or walmart could then sell produce if the landlord agreed to permit them to sell produce. retail uses are quite narrow in what a tenant can do as well as what they can't do (i.e. if you have a lease to be a hair salon or a travel agency or a coffee shop, that is all you are contractually entitled to do).

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post

Eve

overwaitea food group (save-on-foods; overwaitea; coopers; pricesmart; urban fair)

loblaws (extra foods; no frills; superstore; loblaws; independent; valumart; fortino's; maxi; provigo; dominion; t and t foods; etc.)

whole foods (if they decide to come to canada, a "take-over" with a number of outlets may be attractive)

co-op stores may be interested in expanding in some of these markets and, as with whole foods, the option to acquire a number of outlets may be attractive.

[note: the attractiveness of multiple outlets is that distribution and stocking - particularly with dairy and meat and produce - is a big part of operating the grocery business and it isn't very "scalable" down to single stores for the big guys]

then there's the giant tigers and lucky 97's and the true independents like champions; the italian market; etc.

then there's the grocer's not mentioned above because the locations aren't suitable but that still sell groceries like walmart and target and costco who are too big and mac's and 7/eleven or some of the specialty butchers and bakers (local and chain) who would be too small.
    whole foods is in canada - they have 4 stores in vancouver area with one under construction... and i think 2 in toronto area, they have plans to expand greatly in canada in the next few years

whole foods came into vancouver when they bought wild oats which owned vancouver based capers which they had bought out a couple years before and rebranded the capers into whole foods stores and than built 2 brand new larger whole foods stores...

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post

Eve

whole foods is in canada - they have 4 stores in vancouver area with one under construction... and i think 2 in toronto area, they have plans to expand greatly in canada in the next few years

whole foods came into vancouver when they bought wild oats which owned vancouver based capers which they had bought out a couple years before and rebranded the capers into whole foods stores and than built 2 brand new larger whole foods stores...
    thanks for the added update...

i was wondering too about the safeway/sobeys thing - in BC they have to sell a number of locations too, mostly thrifty foods - which was bought out by sobeys a few years ago

it doesn't seem like there are that many grocery stores out there that aren't owned by loblaws or sobeys these days and with the safeway sold off to sobeys even less so

on the national level is there a 3rd big name in groceries?

Apparently this deal is done.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to the existing Sobeys' stores that need to be divested
    Parkdale

Eve

thanks for the added update...
    It would be nice to see some real competition to Planet Organic, Im sick of paying 3 times the price for things. Whole foods, please rescue us from the 1990s. Some of us know there is so much more to offer edmonton in health food retail and we will will make you richer than you can dream of.

That's why I was excited when Blush Lane moved in on Whyte... and then I saw their prices. Nearly higher than Planet Organic on everything. I find it interesting how Baby Gourmet baby food, which is based here in Edmonton, can sell for $1.67 at Superstore, $1.70-something at Target, and $2.99 at Planet Organic and Blush Lane.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

^ That's the part I don't get with these places. I totally get why free range eggs are so expensive compared to their more commercial counterparts. It's because producing them requires more land and attention per bird (if actually done properly).

But packaged goods of a particular brand should be approximately the same (making allowance for volume discounts) between stores. However, some goods seem to vary by a multiple of two or three between regular stores and these organic stores. I went to Blush Lane myself shortly after they opened and was shocked by some of the prices of goods I didn't consider to be particularly organic.

Eve

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Sometimes you see these price variances between non-organic stores. For instance, a can of Stagg Chili is over $4 at Safeway but is under $3 at Wal-Mart.

^ The biggest factors to price, which will vary from store to store even within the same chain, is proximity to other grocers.

That was one of the reasons that Safeway on SPR in Jasper Gates was one of the most expensive in the city despite it being in a crap area. No frills opening will have helped this.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Do groceries work like other products where if a retailer can commit to a larger order they can get a per unit discount? If so then large chains can make large deals enabling them to have lower prices than smaller chains or independents.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Whole Foods is hardly the organic food savior. Their prices will be the same or similar to Planet Organic.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    Do groceries work like other products where if a retailer can commit to a larger order they can get a per unit discount? If so then large chains can make large deals enabling them to have lower prices than smaller chains or independents.
    Absolutely.

Large distributors and retailers also have invoicing agreements with suppliers allowing for product to be sold well before the invoices are due, which keeps the retailer cash positive and even in come cases like Costco they are able to float the full revenue from the sale of the good for longer periods of time, which allows them to invest the revenue before it is due to be paid to the supplier
    Parkdale

I heard today that the Beverly Sobeys will be closing December 5.

Not that anytime is good but right before xmas in this area of town will seriously affect some people.

That's ludicrous. The Sobeys near my place is also scheduled to close and Safeway is 4 kilometers away. Not to mention everything cost twice as much at Safeway as well
    Last edited by Drumbones; 21-11-2013 at 02:45 PM.

This is the governments way to protect me and yet make my life more difficult

Par for the course. I have heard that Wetaskiwin and also Camrose, Leduc, and other towns are closing. I am hoping someone sees this as an opportunity to come in, like Overwaitea , I see them in all small towns in BC. But, maybe a grocer will not be allowed to move in to these buildings. Anyone in the know yet?
    Last edited by Drumbones; 21-11-2013 at 02:29 PM.

I'll feel bad for the people at Ottewell when they either have to go to Capilano or Bonnie Doon. Each is a trek from that stripmall.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Quote Originally Posted by JJMorrocco View Post

Not that anytime is good but right before xmas in this area of town will seriously affect some people.
    I have to beg to differ. Walmart is the low end, Safeway is the high end. Sobeys was the middle grocer. Still 2 options for people of the Abbottsfield area
    FREE THE LOOPING .GIF MEMES
    youtube.com/GrimEmpire

highlander

They're closing the Beverly Sobeys?

They just lost me as a customer.
    From now on, I go to Save-on or Superstore.

Partially Addicted to C2E

Quote Originally Posted by Komrade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JJMorrocco View Post

I have to beg to differ. Walmart is the low end, Safeway is the high end. Sobeys was the middle grocer. Still 2 options for people of the Abbottsfield area
    I found Wal-Mart wasn't as cheap as advertised. And the selection at Wal-Mart is brutal in terms of options. The store is small so the grocery section is barely there. I talked to some of the Sobey's staff and they were told that it had to do with sales. As in Sobey's wasn't selling enough. OK.
    So if you walk into the Sobey's you see the store full and they always had 3-4 registers going with 5 or more people in line for those registers.
    Now walk into the Safeway and you see 1 register with 5 people. Total. 5 people in the whole store. Safeway made more money? Really?

Now look at the two stores separately. Sobey's is the smaller store in terms of building size. Safeway is older and hasn't been renovated or remodeled ever. It's still pretty much the same stuff and look from 1992 or longer. Also, Safeway is unionized. Without causing a massive union fight, the company gets rid of the non-unionized workers.
    The staff at these stores are drastically different too. On one hand, you have warm, friendly and courteous employees at Sobeys. On the other hand, you have cold and miserable employees at Safeway. I've never see any of them smile. Or even make an effort to show they like their jobs.
    So it makes sense to get rid of the non-unionized, happy employees and keep the miserable, unionized employees in a run down store instead.

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post

So perhaps you might take the time to realize that it's the competiton bureau of Canada that made this decision...

I've never found Wal-Mart's selection to be good, unless you hit up the junk food and packaged garbage isles - if they're stocked that is.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

highlander

Quote Originally Posted by reportsyourpost View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post

So perhaps you might take the time to realize that it's the competiton bureau of Canada that made this decision...
    Not in this case. The competition bureau required that certain stores be sold to another grocer so that there would be competition in those markets. Here I guess Walmart was enough competition, so there was no requirement. Sobeys made the decision on it's own.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

I deign to buy packaged groceries at Wally World because canned goods and frozen foods can be had at much cheaper prices than at the Big 4...er...3 (Sobeys/Safeway, Save On, Stupidstore). The bakery, F&V and dairy selections are a joke, or at least that's the case at the Capilano Wally.
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 23-11-2013 at 08:18 PM.

Fresh off the presses

Sobeys signs deals to sell 30 stores in Western Canada

Overwaitea Food Group buys 15 locations, Federated Co-operatives Ltd. buys 14

Sobeys Inc. has signed deals to sell 30 stores in Western Canada for a total of roughly $430 million.

The Nova Scotia-based grocery store chain was required to sell 23 stores as part of an agreement with the Competition Bureau in connection with its purchase of Canada Safeway last year.

Sobeys says British Columbia-based Overwaitea Food Group has agreed to buy 15 locations, while Federated Co-operatives Ltd. has agreed to buy 14 stores.
    The company has also signed a deal to sell its Price Chopper location in Winnipeg to another, unidentified buyer.

Sobeys said Overwaitea and the Co-op chain have received approval from the Competition Bureau and that it anticipates the deals will close in March or early April.
    The sale of the Winnipeg Price Chopper store is subject to finalization of an agreement and approval from the Competition Bureau.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...nada-1.2536328

C2E Bandwidth Hog

I wonder who bought the Edmonton stores:
    Edmonton, Safeway Millwoods, 2331– 66th Street.
    Edmonton, Sobeys Hawkstone, 18370 Lessard Rd.
    Edmonton, Sobeys Goldbar, 5036 — 106th Ave.
    Edmonton, IGA Ottewell, 6204 — 90th Avenue NW.

I cant imagine CO Op trying to move into this market...

My bet is on Save On.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

^
    I hope Co-Op does attempt to get back into Edmonton. My parents like the one out in Vegreville, and we could use a bit more competition.

I wonder who bought the Edmonton stores:
    Edmonton, Safeway Millwoods, 2331– 66th Street.
    Edmonton, Sobeys Hawkstone, 18370 Lessard Rd.
    Edmonton, Sobeys Goldbar, 5036 — 106th Ave.
    Edmonton, IGA Ottewell, 6204 — 90th Avenue NW.
    here are the specifics.
    http://www.sobeyscorporate.com/App_T...ERN-CANADA.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post

My bet is on Save On.
    Imagine it! Save-on did not buy any in Edmonton. See the list in my last post.

C2E Continued Contributor

On a side note, why are there no Co-Op stores in Edmonton?
    The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
    It's heaven and hell!

C2E Bandwidth Hog

I'm fairly certain there used to be Edmonton Co-op stores many years ago. Whether they were acquired by another grocer or simply closed down, I don't know.

I remember the coop warehouse that was on yellow head what happend to that?

As for as I can recall Co-op just closed down their Edmonton stores. They had a location where the Sherwood Park freeway and Argyll Road merge and it probably sat empty for at least a decade before they started building Urban Village on Whyte there.
    Last edited by SP59; 13-02-2014 at 11:16 PM. Reason: removed comments about Abbotsfield mall location.

highlander

They didn't sell abbots field, from what I can tell.

My mistake. Comment removed.

Quote Originally Posted by AAAAE View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post

My bet is on Save On.
    Imagine it! Save-on did not buy any in Edmonton. See the list in my last post.
    Overwaitea is Save-On. I assume that the Overwaitea stores will be branded as Save-Ons

We are getting Co-op in Goldbar apparently. I wish it was a Save-On (I absolutely love the Stadium Save-On where we do most of our shopping now
    Parkdale

wow Co Op in Edm...

I don't care for them personally.

Quote Originally Posted by 240GLT View Post
    We are getting Co-op in Goldbar apparently. I wish it was a Save-On (I absolutely love the Stadium Save-On where we do most of our shopping now
    For real ?

The old Gold Bar IGA is gonna be a Co-op ?

That's different.

All those octogenarian grey heads are gonna flip out.

It will be back tot he future for them.

I know some of the Co-op stores in Cowtown have won some awards for design, etc (I don't know what the criteria is) so if they clean up the exterior look and update the interior, Co-op is probably a better fit at Gold Bar, footprint and esthetics wise I believe they have a model that fits that size.

I think the smallest SaveOn I can think of is Calgary Tr. and 78 Ave (I could be wrong)
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

^ They remind me of a safe way inside... but lots of stone. Take fake banff and plaster it on the inside of a grocery store.

Does everyone still remember their Co-Op number??? I can't wait for my rebate cheque!!

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Quote Originally Posted by bpeters View Post
    I think the smallest SaveOn I can think of is Calgary Tr. and 78 Ave (I could be wrong)
    I would say the Stadium Save On is smaller.

I believe the smallest Save-On in the city is either 109st and Jasper, or the Strathcona one (I can tell you that's the WORST one in the city).
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Quote Originally Posted by bpeters View Post
    I would say the Stadium Save On is smaller.
    Yes, maybe that one or 109st. Regardless Gold Bar Sobeys is less than 15000sf so I don't think a Save On concept works here.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster
    Non semper erit aestas

Thanks Darkie.

Gold Bar and Ottewell !!

Holy s_it !

Good for them.

Last edited by Ustauk; 14-02-2014 at 01:19 PM.

North Central Co-op website: http://northcentralcoop.ca/wps/portal/crs/northcentral/

1 existing grocery store and home center in Stony Plain and several gas bars and cardlocks through northern Edmonton and into Sherwood Park.

Here is Co-Op FAQ. To summarize, you pay a one time fee to become a member of the Cooperative, in our case $5 to join the Northern Central Co-op. If the Co-Op does well, you may get a cash dividend back once a year, depending on how much shopping you did that year. Anyone can shop at the Co-op, but you only get cash back if you become a member.

I phoned the Stony Plain admin centre, and your membership number is good try and earn a dividend when used at any Co-op Grocery Store, Gas Bar, and Home store in the Edmonton area (escept Leduc, which has its own Co-Op).
    Last edited by Ustauk; 14-02-2014 at 02:16 PM.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Good news! No covenants can be applied at sold Sobeys locations

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...ment-1.2539698

Four Edmonton grocery stores that Sobeys was forced to sell by the Competition Bureau will not be affected by restrictive agreements that have created so-called food deserts in mature neighbourhoods.

All four stores are in mature neighbourhoods, which prompted council to ask if the locations would be subject to covenants – controversial agreements which keep new grocery stores from opening where others have closed.

In a report for this Tuesday’s Executive Committee, city administration says the provisions of the Competition Bureau agreement will ensure other grocery chains can open in those locations.

Anyone know if there is any interest from anyone in the Abbottsfield Sobey's?

The Millwoods Town Centre location is kind of puzzling to me as that Safeway is always busy and it's my number two store after Save On Foods. Why they'd choose to replace it when you've got two Sobey's locations so close to each other, one on 28 Ave and one on 23 Ave. Seem's kind of dumb.

But that's the competition bureaus whole idea, they are not allowed to own stores so close to each other as to have too much control of the market of that area

overwaitea/save-on is buying 3 safeway locations in Alberta, the rest are in BC of the 15 they purchased

the 3 locations are canmore, cochrane and fort mcmurray

http://www.retail-insider.com/retail...n-western.html
    Last edited by SpongeG; 17-02-2014 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    But that's the competition bureaus whole idea, they are not allowed to own stores so close to each other as to have too much control of the market of that area
    its weird cause in vancover area they had to sell off some locations, all were picked up by save-on, in new west two safeways will become save-on and one thrifty foods will be save-on thus giving new west 5 save-on foods stores two of the stores are about a block apart

Quote Originally Posted by accountingsucks View Post

Rumour I heard is Giant Tiger - totally based on hearsay.

I would much prefer it going back to a Co-op.

Really ?

Top_Dawg thought Big Pussy pulled out of Alberta altogether.

That's a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    its weird cause in vancover area they had to sell off some locations, all were picked up by save-on, in new west two safeways will become save-on and one thrifty foods will be save-on thus giving new west 5 save-on foods stores two of the stores are about a block apart
    Maybe Jimmy is donating more to the party

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post

Really ?

Top_Dawg thought Big Pussy pulled out of Alberta altogether.

That's a new one.
    9 locations in Alberta: http://community.gianttiger.com/store-locator

C2E Bandwidth Hog

^ 1 Giant Tiger location in Calgary, 5 in the Edmonton area (3 on the north side, 1 in Fort Sask, 1 in Leduc).
    Yay for Discountville.

The West End location on Lessard Rd is becoming a Co-Op. I had a feeling that they were looking at expanding into Edmonton once we saw their liquor store chain set up shop on Rabbit Hill Rd.
    Don't feed the trolls!

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Co-op food stores make a comeback in Edmonton

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin..._lsa=c0d8-f6ec

EDMONTON - A venerable name in grocery retailing — Co-op — is returning to Edmonton after an absence of two decades.
    Things are different since the last Edmonton Co-op store closed in 1993, Banda said. There were once six stores in the city and 100,000 members, but the local co-operative went bankrupt.

“Today, Co-op’s in a much better financial position overall,” Banda said. “As a system, we’re doing very, very well in Western Canada and our local retail Co-ops have some strength from a brand perspective and a financial perspective.

“We have a very different value proposition that we do bring to the market that has served us quite well. Our loyalty program is about cash in your pocket or sharing in the company. There’s a good part of the market that appreciates the local presence we bring.”
    I bolded above the reason why Co-op closed in Edmonton.

Partially Addicted to C2E

Quote Originally Posted by accountingsucks View Post
    Abbottsfield was closed because the lease was up. I was told by a Sobey's rep (after I complained) that they planned on renovating the Safeway and changing it to a Sobey's. They have to wait for the union contract with Safeway to end before they can do this (and basically lay off every Safeway employee without buyouts)

C2E SME

I can't wait to see Co-op back in town. I've been to some of the current stores in Calgary and I think this will be a good option to add into Edmonton.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

I'll give Co-op a go. Why not? I don't have much experience shopping there and everyone in Saskatchewan loves them. Might be worth it these days...

Albertsons to buy Safeway

Albertsons and Safeway, two of the largest grocery store chains in the U.S., will merge, the companies announced Thursday.

The move will create a network of 2,400 stores, 27 distribution facilities and 20 manufacturing plants with more than 250,000 employees.

No stores will close because of the merger, which is expected to be finalized later this year.

Still, the combined company will be be slightly smaller than Kroger, the largest grocery retailer in the U.S., which has 2,600 stores.

"Working together will enable us to create cost savings that translate into price reductions for our customers," said Albertsons CEO Bob Miller in the release.
    Those cost savings could come if the two companies are combined and run efficiently, said Ken Perkins, an analyst at Morningstar.

"If they're buying more, they may have pull to get more favorable terms when negotiating with suppliers," Perkins said.

Albertsons, which is privately owned by Cerberus Capital Management, Kimco Realty Corporation, Klaff Realty, Lubert-Adler Partners, and Schottenstein Stores Corporation, will acquire all Safeway shares.

Safeway (SWY, Fortune 500) shareholders are expected to receive $40 per share. That values the deal at more than $9 billion. Shares of Safeway fell more than 3% in after-hours trading.
    Didn't see this one coming...

http://money.cnn.com/2014/03/06/news...html?hpt=hp_t3

Wonder if the Safeway name will disappear ?
    I'm having people over later to stare at their phones,if you want to drop by

What will happen with lucerne? They make the best chocolate milk!

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    What will happen with lucerne? They make the best chocolate milk!
    ice cream too!

Default Safeway discontinues club card loyalty program

"CALGARY- So long, club card.

Safeway is dropping its membership program, which means that starting on Friday shoppers won’t need a card to take advantage of store specials.

The move could prove challenging for competitors who still use loyalty cards, but it remains to be seen what long-term impact it will have."

http://globalnews.ca/news/1249484/sa...yalty-program/

There is a big chain supermarket in Rundle Park/Abbotsfield on the south side of 118 th. Ave (it's a strip mall). Not sure what supermarket it is, maybe Save On or Sobey's. There is a rumour circulating that this is going to change to a No Frills Store. Anyone hear the same thing!.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    There is a big chain supermarket in Rundle Park/Abbotsfield on the south side of 118 th. Ave (it's a strip mall). Not sure what supermarket it is, maybe Save On or Sobey's. There is a rumour circulating that this is going to change to a No Frills Store. Anyone hear the same thing!.
    That would be the former Beverly Sobey's, which Sobey's closed back in December, due to it's proximity to the Safeway in Abbotsfield. As the store had been renovated to full Sobey's specs, it surprised me that they closed it rather then the Safeway location.

No Frill's would be an excellent fits for the space, as the footprint is similar to that of No Frill's stores in other parts of the city. It should do well, as it will likely have a better produce section then the small Abbotsfield Walmart, while having better prices then Safeway.

If Sobey's owned the building outright rather then just returning a lease to a property owner, good on them for selling to building to a competitor without being nudged by the competition bureau

Quote Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
    "CALGARY- So long, club card.

Safeway is dropping its membership program, which means that starting on Friday shoppers won’t need a card to take advantage of store specials.

The move could prove challenging for competitors who still use loyalty cards, but it remains to be seen what long-term impact it will have."

http://globalnews.ca/news/1249484/sa...yalty-program/

Damn. I had an emotional attachment to my Club Card because I used my Vancouver phone number from 12 years ago for it. Good times. Good memories.

I have something similar going on. Whenever I have to use my phone number and I remember it (it's my old Calgary number), it reassures me that my mental faculties are still working on some level.

On a macroeconomics level, though, I'd like to see the end of loyalty cards because they actually increase prices generally and they're a pain to have to keep. And it would be one less question on an accounting exam (accounting for them is a pain also).

Eve

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

I have something similar going on. Whenever I have to use my phone number and I remember it (it's my old Calgary number), it reassures me that my mental faculties are still working on some level.

On a macroeconomics level, though, I'd like to see the end of loyalty cards because they actually increase prices generally and they're a pain to have to keep. And it would be one less question on an accounting exam (accounting for them is a pain also).

Eve
    if you want to play on memory lane, before they were 10 digit numbers they were 7, and before they were 7 digit numbers they were 2 letters and 5 numbers. the first 2 letters were an "abbreviation" of the local exchange that physically routed the calls. how many of them can you recall? not sure about edmonton but from vancouver off the top of my head there was regent (73) and amhurst (26) and mutual (68 ) and trinity (87)... because the exchanges were physical, you always know what part of the city someone lived in by their telephone number prefix.
    Last edited by kcantor; 04-04-2014 at 04:39 PM.

you always know what part of the city someone lived in by their telephone number prefix.
    Like Millwoods in the 80s. 461, 462, 463 & 450 were the only numbers available I believe. Back then, as a kid/teen, my phone book was all in my head (and written down somewhere just in case).

edit: And just to add for subject at hand, I quit shopping at Safeway after some 20 years just last summer. It's looking like I'm not the only one.
    Last edited by Kitlope; 04-04-2014 at 10:23 PM.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Gold Bar Sobeys changes over today (April 29, 2014)
    Other locations
    Lessard on May 7, 2014
    Millwoods Town Center on May 8, 2014
    Ottwell on May 13, 2014
    Last edited by Darkwalker; 29-04-2014 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Added other Edmonton locations, Grammar
    Non semper erit aestas

I drove past the Cromdale TGP late yesterday and can confirm the changeover is complete. Oddly no business hours were posted.

Cromdale TGP ? I think you might have your areas mixed up

The Gold Bar one has now been open for a few weeks.. it's almost indistringuishable from the old Sobeys except the house brands are different, the bakery and produce seem better.
    Parkdale

Quote Originally Posted by 240GLT View Post
    Cromdale TGP ? I think you might have your areas mixed up

The Gold Bar one has now been open for a few weeks.. it's almost indistringuishable from the old Sobeys except the house brands are different, the bakery and produce seem better.
    Whoops, sorry, I meant the Gold Bar one. My bad.

One of the biggest complaints about the old Sobeys that I heard from local residents is that when Sobeys took over from IGA, the store lost its "community grocer" type feel. I hope that the new store can regain that community grocer feel... it looks like that's the direction they're trying to go
    Parkdale

Leducs new Coop is looking super but the Wetaskiwin one still needs some work

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast