Thread: U of A or MacEwan for a media related course?

Default U of A or MacEwan for a media related course?

So I just moved from another country from which my course was a BA in Communications, Major in Advertising. I was all set for going to U of A and applied for A BA in Creative Writing since it was the closest one to my previous course. I just recently found out though that MacEwan has a Communications course that almost exactly fits my previous one. Where should I go? Some of my relatives are considering the 'prestige' of U of A as a precedent to the school I should go to. Help?

Do not get a Creative Writing BA, talked to many professors and it's merely a couple years of self improvement. If you want credentials go into NAIT for your field. I have had many friends do communications at NAIT and it brings you right into the work force.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Quote Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
    Do not get a Creative Writing BA, talked to many professors and it's merely a couple years of self improvement. If you want credentials go into NAIT for your field. I have had many friends do communications at NAIT and it brings you right into the work force.
    Actually, it's alright for me not to get credentials since I've gotten quite a few jobs in the same field already. I just need to know which school might give me a better degree. :< Thank you, though. I will consider NAIT.

C2E Continued Contributor

I would suggest having a look at both MacEwan University's Bachelor of Communication Studies and NAIT's offerings and seeing what you like best! I know many current students at MacEwan in this degree program who love it (my bias).
    $2.00 $2.25 $2.50 $2.75 $2.85 $3.00 $3.20 $3.25

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Buddy....NAIT. If You're not there in the Fall....that's you're first mistake. Good luck to u.

I'd rather C2E than work!

The U of A has a prestigeous name, yes - but MacEwan has been highly regarded for some time for, among others, its music program, theatre studies and, yes, its communications program.

My vote is MacEwan.
    ... gobsmacked

First One is Always Free

Having gone to MacEwan most of my academic career and moving to UAlberta to finish my Education degree, I would give a lot to go back to MacEwan. Most profs teach at both at some point, especially if the class is offered at both institutions so your professors are the same caliber, if not better at MacEwan because they aren't just researchers. The size, the atmosphere and the ease of navigating all the bureaucracies is much better at MacEwan. If they offered a full Education degree at MacEwan at the time I transferred, I would have never left.

That being said, I have heard amazing things about NAIT for their business and communications programs as well.

My sister did a media/communications degree at MacEwan and did quite well with it. Not sure about the UofA program. I really enjoyed my time at the UofA. Five years ago I would have said UofA for sure because of prestige, campus life, neighbourhood, but GMAC has really improved in all of these areas in recent years.
    If I were you I would look at the various classes offered and see what interests you more.
    Go down a few dark alleys.

Partially Addicted to C2E

How big are the classes at Mac or Nait? I remember I use to go sit in on classes at UofA and no one would care because class size is so big...I wonder if I can just go sit in on a class at Mac or Nait.

I'd rather C2E than work!

I can tell you that employers love their MacEwan grads ...

A lot of folks in the biz, for advanced communications courses work through Athabasca.
    ... gobsmacked

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by lazymonkeygod View Post
    How big are the classes at Mac or Nait? I remember I use to go sit in on classes at UofA and no one would care because class size is so big...I wonder if I can just go sit in on a class at Mac or Nait.
    I can't speak for other class sizes at NAIT but Geomatics Engineering Technology only had 30 people per year in its class when I went. The limit was due to not wanting to flood the market with grads, considering there'd be competition with grads from SAIT, U. of C. and New Brunswick. That was back in the late 90s, so I can't say if there's still a 30 student limit still or not.