Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Edmonton International Airport Retail / Hotel Development

“Premium Outlet Collection – EIA will have a ‘warm industrial chic’ design, creating a contemporary shopping experience,” Scott confirms. “The property will also offer an airport shuttle service, which will be in place by the opening of the centre. The shuttle will provide airport travellers with the opportunity to easily move between the terminal and Outlet. During longer layovers, a new parcel storage and delivery service will be made available to customers who buy on the way through and want to have either pick-up service on the return leg of their travel, or simply to have their items delivered directly to their home.”

“Both Saks OFF 5TH and Nordstrom Rack will be tenants at nearby South Edmonton Common. It is, therefore, unlikely that either will anchor the EIA outlet centre. That’s a concern because such an anchor would act as a draw for consumers in the region. If Winners or Marshalls were to act as anchors, for example, neither would provide the same attraction because both are already available with other locations in the area.

http://businessinedmonton.com/featur...ium-treatment/

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    As a small stand alone "outlet" mall with (1) no larger anchor or adjacent stores, (2) no amenities in the immediate vicinity to create synergy, (3) **** poor road access in and out and (4) no known hype or promotions from EIA to suggest there will be shuttles between the terminal and the mall- retailers are rightly being cautious to sign on. If ETS would make an announcement that ETS buses will stop there before arriving at the terminal and again on the outbound back to Edmonton NOW that would be a positive signal to retailers there is at least public transit. As far as the traffic conundrum - I guess we will need to see how it all unfolds.
    Do "anchor" stores exist anymore?

As for public transit. Stops would increase the travel time - and lost luggage issues.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Transit seems to prioritize stops at most malls so although this one is a bit further out of the way I don't see it as too much of a reach.

As for the traffic at the mall something not found at other malls in Edmonton would be ideal but there certainly is no lack of exposure for this mall along the busy highway. There is also booming population not so far away. Should mention as well when visiting multiple stores this mall would be a much more enjoyable experience for patrons than travelling between stores in the sprawling south Edmonton common.

Think of all the people up in northern Alberta, British Columbia, and the Territories, who will be able to fly in to Edmonton, hotel, shop, and be entertained, at the airport only. No need to go anywhere else. This sounds like an aerotropolis.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by David Jackson View Post
    Think of all the people up in northern Alberta, British Columbia, and the Territories, who will be able to fly in to Edmonton, hotel, shop, and be entertained, at the airport only. No need to go anywhere else. This sounds like an aerotropolis.
    If there were hotels connected or easily walkable to get to I would agree. The Renaissance is close enough but is not walkable. This mall is 400,000+ square feet and not "a massive retail complex" per that weblink, it's actually a weeny mall. Cross Iron is 3 times as big and has outlier buildings on top of that.
    Last edited by EdmTrekker; 12-07-2017 at 02:47 PM.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Had they not shut down Peelerz then Top_Dawg would see your point.

Alas, now you basically have to come into town to get some action.

Nothing like a Costco to screw up traffic into and out of the airport. Every farm truck in Central Alberta will be jamming up the roads.

Why does that show the Premium Outlet extending over the QEII?

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    That's just the label, not the mall itself.

Thats a Winter Garden.

Thats a Winter Garden.
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    They could have labelled it like the did the terminal building. This way just looks odd.

They could have labelled it like the did the terminal building. This way just looks odd.
    Call Colliers and have them fix it.

Look forward to many of these developments helping flip potentially even just a few travellers from between Edmonton and Calgary to use YEG that might have otherwise used YYC.

Quote Originally Posted by Base View Post
    Look forward to many of these developments helping flip potentially even just a few travellers from between Edmonton and Calgary to use YEG that might have otherwise used YYC.
    A drive through window at Aurora would do wonders in bringing traffic to the area. Alas is will be online ordering and immediate shipment - no doubt from the only major courier operating at EIA.

Call Colliers and have them fix it.

Not worth that much effort. Just looks like something slapped together instead of a professional presentation.

Just because you make a stupid mistake it's everyone else's fault. Lol.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 13-07-2017 at 06:44 PM.

If there were hotels connected or easily walkable to get to I would agree. The Renaissance is close enough but is not walkable. This mall is 400,000+ square feet and not "a massive retail complex" per that weblink, it's actually a weeny mall. Cross Iron is 3 times as big and has outlier buildings on top of that.
    The original render or drawing has a ghost image on the south end of the mall to double it's size, if it is successful right off the hop I'm sure this will be added quickly. There are also stand alone restaurants planned that are already advertising for tenants, I've heard six hotels have already gotten their foot in the door. Office complexes and other amenities soon to follow. Do not underestimate the power of suburbia.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 13-07-2017 at 07:00 PM.

Another interesting thing is the future plans blue marking on the jetset parking lot. Seems to be quite a popular parking option although future could certainly mean quite some time from now.

C2E Continued Contributor

Interesting to see a Costco there.

I get this image of someone trying to get on a plane with a Costco size bundle of toilet paper.

I get the image of someone coming off a turbulence-filled flight and heading straight for the toilet roll aisle in Costco.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Good location for a costco I think. There's one at Balzac too next to the outlet down there. The model must work. You get the fur flung reaches of the city - in our case, anyone living south of Ellerslie and west of Highway 2 will probably be inclined to go to this Costco. And then you have the whole populations of Beaumont, Nisku, Leduc and Devon who will be customers at this location.

Quote Originally Posted by B.ike View Post
    Good location for a costco I think. There's one at Balzac too next to the outlet down there. The model must work. You get the fur flung reaches of the city - in our case, anyone living south of Ellerslie and west of Highway 2 will probably be inclined to go to this Costco. And then you have the whole populations of Beaumont, Nisku, Leduc and Devon who will be customers at this location.
    With poor road access.

My understanding that the Costco was been put on hold, pretty much means its dead.

Quote Originally Posted by mad90 View Post
    My understanding that the Costco was been put on hold, pretty much means its dead.
    Interesting if so. The southside Costco is the nearest one and is beyond busy and could use a reliever. Wonder if road access was a concern? I do have concerns even with the reconfiguration how the traffic will be handled. Very hopeful at the same time that those concerns are unfounded.

Interesting if so. The southside Costco is the nearest one and is beyond busy and could use a reliever. Wonder if road access was a concern? I do have concerns even with the reconfiguration how the traffic will be handled. Very hopeful at the same time that those concerns are unfounded.
    I have heard that the south Costco has been flat in terms of revenue the past year, and Costco has never owned that piece of land they just leased it. Based on what I heard is they let the lease expire. Costco doesn't usually lease the land, they flat-out just buy it, Leduc was always iffy from the beginning. Were the economy has gone the past 2 years and with already 7 Costco's within 2 hours of each other, don't think Leduc was a serious player to begin with.

I had heard they gave up their plans for a store in the city of Leduc after city council refused to give them a special tax rate but hadn't heard anything about their EIA plan. Seems amazing that their 91 st location would not be profitable. Its a madhouse.

I had heard they gave up their plans for a store in the city of Leduc after city council refused to give them a special tax rate but hadn't heard anything about their EIA plan. Seems amazing that their 91 st location would not be profitable. Its a madhouse.
    It IS madhouse as you say and I don't believe sales are flat. I don't know whether they lease that location - but the parking is woefully inadequate and road access is terrible. Costco has announced 3 new stores in Canada for 2017 and an undisclosed number of locations they may cannibalize or "replace" in/to other locations. Perhaps the SouthEast location will be "replaced" as I don't see it being cannibalized unless they have a replacement location(s) in the SE quadrant of the City. I suppose they could open something way out on 30 Street and 23 Avenue ... and another on QE2 by 41 Avenue - that would equal 1 of the 3 "new" Canadian properties in their stable.

Thats another reason, the store is very profitable just the store hasn't grown in terms of revenue.

where did you hear that? Is it just here say?
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

I heard that the Costco on 91 Street is the third best performing store in North America. Another store is needed.

Regardless of if/when Costco goes in the pace of development as of late away from the terminal has been impressive. Excited to see what the airport authority can make happen with this injection of revenue.

Administrator *

I spoke to someone familiar with the project, and he said Costco should still be happening.

At 428k square feet it will be a little less than half the size of Kingsway and Southgate. Should still feel like a decent size in there as the big anchor tenants account for a bunch of that space in the other malls. Regardless hopefully they leave themselves a bit of room to tack onto the mall down the road once it proves itself successful. Suspect that could be a slow process though if they have already delayed to gather up more retailers for the current space.

Its 40% of the size of CrossIron Mills @ 1,125,254 GLA.
    http://www.ivanhoecambridge.com/en/s...ntre-portfolio

Is 20% smaller than Las Vegas Premium Outlets North @ 540,000-square-foot (50,000 m2) shopping mall located near Downtown Las Vegas owned and managed by Simon Property Group, and part of Simon's Premium Outlets family of outlet malls. This mall is a major draw for tourists to Las Vegas and has 175 stores.
    http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlet...s-north/stores
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Las_Ve..._Outlets_North

As far as Outlet Malls go, the new one at EIA is good sized. Key will the variety stores and whether there are truly "premium" brands.
    http://www.ivanhoecambridge.com/en/s...ntre-portfolio

At 428k square feet it will be a little less than half the size of Kingsway and Southgate. Should still feel like a decent size in there as the big anchor tenants account for a bunch of that space in the other malls. Regardless hopefully they leave themselves a bit of room to tack onto the mall down the road once it proves itself successful. Suspect that could be a slow process though if they have already delayed to gather up more retailers for the current space.
    I am going to take the increase in size from what was previously planned as a good sign. I realize they are opening in economic times that are not as buoyant as a few years ago, so I suppose it should not be a surprise they will now take a bit longer to complete rather than rush to the same deadline as for the previous smaller planned space. It can't be as big as Cross Iron Mills as we already have South Edmonton Common not too far away from it. However, that doesn't mean it can't be nice, have some good stores too and perhaps even expand in the future when times are better.

Horse race track has started construction. Fence up, trailer and equipment on site.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Terry Jones: Construction of new Century Mile horse race track underway

They’re off!

The graders and bulldozers have been at the gate for a week. Finally the permits have come through and the building of the new Century Mile horse race track to replace Northlands Park is underway.

Forget plans to have thoroughbred racing begin at the new one-mile “racino” track — the only one-mile track west of Woodbine — by this date next year as originally planned.

Your correspondent has learned that this year’s 88th running of the Canadian Derby will NOT be the last one at Northlands Park as advertised. There will be a 89th Canadian Derby at the current site next August. Indeed there will be an entire thoroughbred race season at Northlands Park again next year.

You should also know that next year’s Canadian Derby will be the last to be run at a mile and 3/8th.

“We are pretty much out being able to go in July or August of 2018,” said Paul Ryneveld, general manager of the new track. “We’re right now on a schedule to be completed in September of 2018 and at that point we’d have to decide what the best opening time would be.

While Ryneveld and company brought in the admittedly significantly smaller Century Downs operation in Balzac to life in a year and three weeks, he doesn’t like that time table for this casino/race track operation which will require 200 full and part time employees compared to 150 down south. The building is 50 per cent larger and the footprint almost twice the size.

The facility, located between Edmonton International Airport, the RedTail Landing golf course and the new Premier Collection Outlet Mall, will finally begin to take shape.

“It’s completely different from the renderings we released when we won the bid. We’re just now finishing up the final design work but basically the entrance for racing will be on the northeast corner of the building.The first floor is, with the exception of the lobby you come into is all going to be 18 plus — it is the casino floor, the off-track betting and the 364-day restaurant for the casino. There will be a separate casino entrance on the southwest.

“On the second floor there will be 300 plus terraced dining tables. The design of that is very similar to Front Runners at Santa Anita. It’s fantastic. It’s my favorite place to actually watch the races at any race track in the world that I’ve visited,” said Ryneveld, who has been to most major tracks in North America for obvious reasons.

“As you keep going down the hallway there will be suites with access to the concourse and the grandstand which will be outdoors and seat about 500.”

For big races such as the Canadian Derby there will be the infield and tenting with room for significant temporary grandstands.
    http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/lo...track-underway
    Last edited by Hilman; 31-07-2017 at 10:52 AM.

Woohoo!

C2E Posting Power

I'm not woohooing at all, if additional traffic volume generated by this development creates a bottleneck for folks trying to get to the airport terminal.

Too bad they didn't include new renders in the story. I'm still skeptical.

Quote Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
    I'm not woohooing at all, if additional traffic volume generated by this development creates a bottleneck for folks trying to get to the airport terminal.
    I am trying to reserve judgement on the traffic flow issues until the reconfigured network is up at running although I have my serious doubts. Free flow from QEII to terminal and back would have been so nice but $.

The track will only be very busy a few times of the year otherwise it shouldn't be overwhelming. A Canadian derby day combined with a busy shopping mall and other new businesses should be quite interesting. Who knows maybe we even grow our terminal passenger numbers big time by then to add to the overall traffic

Meh, I've been to a few races but I can tell you with absolute certainty I'll never go again how that it's out in the middle of nowhere. Should be good for the pickup truck crowd, lots of parking out there.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Nothing like a Costco to screw up traffic into and out of the airport. Every farm truck in Central Alberta will be jamming up the roads.
    Give me a break.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    Give me a break.
    Weeks later you finally respond to the 8th last post I made on this thread? I contributed some meaningful information and all you take swipes. Don't you have some project you need to manage? or likely not.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    Give me a break.
    Weeks later you finally respond to the 8th last post I made on this thread? I contributed some meaningful information and all you take swipes. Don't you have some project you need to manage? or likely not.
    do nothing is also an option.

I sent an email to the contact on the Ivanhoe Cambridge for the premium outlet collection EIA to see if she could share any info on when, even approximately, we could expect some retailer announcements to begin. Sadly just got an answer as to the mall opening May 2, 2018 which we already knew. Understand there is much that can't be shared but thought it was worth a shot.

Lots of jobs they will need to fill, assume they will do a big job fair well in advance?

Likely Aurora will create more jobs tending buds.

C2E SME

With all of these projects, I hope that the Leduc overpass is higher priority.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

It looks like they have started the add a lane project from 41ave sw to the airport.

Exciting times out at our great airport indeed.

It looks like they have started the add a lane project from 41ave sw to the airport.
    So there will be four lanes out to the airport now?

I believe that's the plan

This came as a pleasant surprise I noticed work had started on the way to the airport this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonsKindaGuy View Post
    So there will be four lanes out to the airport now?
    4 lanes to Highway 19, then back to 3
    ... gobsmacked

Good news indeed. Would be easy to tack on a bit more distance to Airport road in the future should it be deemed required.

Massive area of ground work going on north and south of Hwy. 19 from Hwy. 2 out as far as Capital Raceway.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Discovery business park is massive about the size of Blatchford. Does anyone know who is going in there?

It's part of the Crossroads ASP, Leduc County if your googling.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 26-08-2017 at 09:02 AM.

It's part of the Crossroads ASP, Leduc County if your googling.
    I would like to know who are the anchor tenants. Do you have any idea?

A new beginning. That’s the unofficial motto for Century Mile, the new racetrack and entertainment facility which will open sometime next fall between the Edmonton International Airport, RedTail Landing golf course and the new Premier Collection Outlet Mall, which will also open sometime next year.

“I think first and foremost the track and entertainment destination will be an injection of excitement into horse racing,” said Geoff Smith, managing director for Century Casinos’ Alberta Operations. “It will turn racing in western Canada around. It brings with it a new long term goal of sustainability for the industry. That’s what we’re really excited about.”

In other words, Century Mile is not going to be a slot-parlour casino with a racetrack limping along beside it. It is going to be a racetrack first. That’s a very important distinction. Of course, in today’s world, racing needs the slots at the tracks to survive. But horse racing also needs a partner that is committed to not just horse racing’s future, but a return to growth of an industry that once used to boast the highest per-capita betting track in North America.

“We’re going to push the gaming but we are really going to push the racing product,” said Paul Ryneveld, general manager of Balzac’s Century Downs. “We’re a racetrack with a casino. Not the other way around. It’s a competitive advantage to have the horse racing as well as the entertainment facility. The total square footage of Century Mile is 88,000 square feet. Of that, the gaming floor is 25,000 square feet; so about two-thirds of the facility is dedicated to horse racing.”

Full article linked below.

http://www.standardbredcanada.ca/new...beginning.html

John Young‏ @YoungerJW

OML is excited to be working with K5 Investment Group and building the new Marriott Fairfield at the Edmonton International Airport

https://twitter.com/YoungerJW/status/892491669890711552

What's this now?

Probably near the Premium Outlet Collection?

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by sonicboom View Post
    Probably near the Premium Outlet Collection?
    Or near the horse race track?

There will be more announcements ... and the sooner the better.

Not too bad at all. Assume this will be right over by the outlet mall and future restaurants. Not an architectural masterpiece but it could be much more bland/ugly like many of the hotels across the highway in Leduc and Nisku. Will be a more budget friendly option compared to the renaissance hotel on site.

Located adjacent to the Edmonton International Airport, this new build Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott is a 135-guestroom, 5-storey Hotel with guest services that include a Lobby Lounge, Hot Breakfast Dining Room, Lounge and Patio, Indoor Pool and Whirlpool Spa, Fitness Room, 950 SF of Meeting Space and Guest Laundry. The exterior of the Hotel will be custom finished with Architectural detailed metal panels, wood grained long board metal siding and Eldorado Stone. The interior color palette will be finished with Marriott’s Modern Calm Décor – the evolution of the heritage origins from the Fairfield Farm. Simple and inviting, the new décor provides guests with a refreshing sense of warmth and calm while traveling – that “ahhh” moment – and provides a stay that feels light and relaxing, with timeless and honest furniture and materials.

Client: NSR Kary Holdings Ltd.
    Estimated Year of Completion: Winter 2018
    Estimated Area: 72,225 ft2
    Budget: Confidential

^"honest furniture"? dunno, still have trust issues with credenzas.

It makes very good sense that the Edmonton mall will have a mix that is almost identical to the two other recent openings (Niagara and Winnipeg).
    https://www.outletcollectionatniagar...res/directory/
    https://www.outletcollectionwinnipeg...res/directory/
    These will, of course, exclude the obvious duplication of Saks Off Fifth or any other South Common stores.
    Unfortunately, other than maybe Brooks Brothers and a few others, I don't think we'll see any first-to-market stores.

Also, it sounds like the Remington land to the north of EIA along QE2 is also getting services in ground. I would expect a mixed use campus with office, retail and industrial.

Quote Originally Posted by 2020 View Post
    It makes very good sense that the Edmonton mall will have a mix that is almost identical to the two other recent openings (Niagara and Winnipeg).
    https://www.outletcollectionatniagar...res/directory/
    https://www.outletcollectionwinnipeg...res/directory/
    These will, of course, exclude the obvious duplication of Saks Off Fifth or any other South Common stores.
    Unfortunately, other than maybe Brooks Brothers and a few others, I don't think we'll see any first-to-market stores.

Also, it sounds like the Remington land to the north of EIA along QE2 is also getting services in ground. I would expect a mixed use campus with office, retail and industrial.
    Unfortunately, most Brooks Brothers factory stores are also different offerings than the flagships.

Coach Outlet's usually carry stuff from the flagships. It differs brand to brand.

Looks like Nordstrom Rack is going south common.

Didn't Ivanhoe market this as Premium Outlet Collection as opposed to simply Outlet Collection? Might make a difference.

Given their connection to Simon Partners: http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases...565948091.html, I expect something more like:

https://www.mcarthurglen.com/ca/mcar...ver/en/stores/
    http://www.premiumoutlets.com/montre.../store_listing
    http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlet/toronto/stores

Realistically, we probably land somewhere in between.
    Last edited by Moodib; 15-09-2017 at 10:45 AM.

Nike "SuperCenter" - Designer Shoe warehouse - Forever 21

A few of the anchors going into the mall.

Nike "Supercenter" sounds interesting, the south common store is actually quite small compared to many I've been in. I wish so badly they would move the opening dates up on this place but i don't see that happening.

Ya they are paving the parking lot now. Makes me want to drive in and take a look. Probably could, just put my white hard hat on and clip a tape measure on.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    With all of these projects, I hope that the Leduc overpass is higher priority.

Yes it is:
    https://www.alberta.ca/release.cfm?x...35F0E0C999F94D
    Jun 09, 2017 Media inquiries
    Design for new Leduc interchange jointly funded

The Government of Alberta is partnering with the City of Leduc and the Edmonton International Airport (EIA) to fund design work for a new Leduc interchange.

Aerial of 65 Avenue and QEII highway in Leduc

The interchange, at 65 Avenue and the QEII highway, is the next step in connecting industrial development south of Leduc’s 65 Avenue with the EIA’s Perimeter Road.
    The province, the City of Leduc and the EIA are each contributing $1.2 million for the detailed design work. The interchange would help reduce congestion on this busy part of the QEII, while providing a major new connection to developments in Leduc and at the EIA.
    Leduc is part of one of the fastest growing regions in Alberta and attracts business and investment from around the world. The proposed interchange would support this growth by helping reduce traffic entering the QEII at both Highway 39 and Airport Road by providing an alternate route to the west end of Leduc.
    “The Government of Alberta is continuing to make important investments to support economic growth, new jobs and a high quality of life for Albertans. We're pleased to partner with the City of Leduc and the Edmonton International Airport to advance work on this important transportation project. The airport and the region are major drivers of economic activity, diversity and job-creation for all of northern Alberta and this infrastructure project can build on that momentum.”
    Brian Mason, Minister of Transportation
    “This is one more way that our government is investing in the Leduc region and making life better for the Albertans who live and work here. As a tireless advocate for the people of Leduc-Beaumont, I am so pleased to see how our collaboration with local leaders and industry is producing real results for much-needed jobs and economic development in this part of Alberta.”
    Shaye Anderson, Minister of Municipal Affairs and MLA for Leduc-Beaumont
    “We have been working very closely with the Edmonton International Airport and the provincial government to move the 65 Avenue/QEII interchange project forward. Detailed design is one of the last steps before construction. This interchange will unlock further economic opportunities both on and around the airport."
    Greg Krischke, mayor of Leduc
    “We are very grateful to partner with the Government of Alberta and the City of Leduc on this project. This will help move forward the regional aerotropolis program where EIA integrates with the communities we serve so we can grow our regional economy.”
    Tom Ruth, president and CEO, Edmonton International Airport
    Detailed engineering design is required to better estimate the total costs and project timelines. Completing this work in advance enables projects to be considered for potential provincial and federal funding.
    Work to select an engineering consultant is underway. Once a consultant is selected, detailed design is expected to take at least two years. The Alberta government, EIA and City of Leduc previously cost-shared on the $412,000 planning study for this project.
    Construction of this interchange is not currently on the Three-Year Provincial Construction Program. It will be considered for construction based on provincial priorities and available funding.
    Listen to the news conference

Related information

Media inquiries

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678