Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Burg coming in June

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    ^Yup, keep forgetting they took over that space. Brewhouse would absolutely be your sports bar downtown.
    I could see something like the new OJs concept State & Main doing well in that space. Decent menu, decent price, nothing super high end or trying to be something it's not. I personally wasn't impressed with the Berg.

I don't agree with Top Dawg about much, but we're of a mind on this one. Kelly's is okay, but I definitely prefer the Burg, and a lot of that is because of the terrific space. I also like the food better (though both have pretty good upscale pub grub), and the staff are friendlier and less haggard to boot.

And as for beer, neither place has a particularly good beer selection--for that you have to go a few blocks east to the Underground.
    “It’s so beautiful. What sort of bird is that?”

I'd rather C2E than work!

Craft will soon be open on RHW (November so they are adv.) and will have a **** load of beers beers on tap so they say. And they will have huge TV's. As is my home pub is Sherlocks so Craft can be my backup right in the heart of DT.

Top_Dawg continues to think that The Burg is a nice comfortable open space to watch a game and enjoy a few beer.

But there's one thing that's becoming quite bothersome.

Every time Top_Dawg trots through the doors he gets hit with this weird funky smell.

At first Top_Dawg thought it was due to the new finishings and fixtures that they put into the place.

But over time it's only getting worse.

Off putting to say the least.

Anybody else getting turned off by this sickly smell ?

C2E SME

Is it from inside the building or is it coming from outside?
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Definitely inside.

Reminds me of our drunken game of Cards Against Humanity the other night:
    Q: What's that smell?
    Winning A: Anal beads.
    Careful TD.

Notably, the only city name checked in the entire game we played (didn't get through all the cards but a good chunk of them) was Edmonton.

Answer card: A frosty handjob from an Edmonton prostitute.

C2E SME

Definitely noticed the smell when they first opened. It wasn't there when it was Ric's, so I also just assumed it was from millwork or something. I've only been there a few times since the initial opening, and I don't recall if the smell was still present or not. I've enjoyed my burgers there every time I've been there, though, and I'm not really a burger guy. But I can't help but feel that focusing so much on burgers is in the end hurting rather than helping them. I end up going to Kelly's way more often because it has a much wider menu than the Burg, but I prefer the room at the Burg by a mile (Kelly's is often too cramped and loud if you're just wanting a quick meal with the girlfriend).

In any case, I hope they're doing well.

Top_Dawg also appreciates the open, non-cramped feel of the place as well as the upgrades they have done to the space.

But yeah, the limited menu may be their downfall.

Top_Dawg stopped in for two beer after going to Kelly's yesterday and there was more staff than customers.

Hope the owners have deep pockets because paying for that much square footage and having such little traffic does not bode well.
    Last edited by Top_Dawg; 05-01-2015 at 10:52 AM.

A good burger place can be a destination unto itself once the traffic to support it exists. I can see it picking up some new customers doing once the arena opens as it is close enough being only a couple blocks away. They also need to do more to get the word out there. It's hardly talked about. Nobody has ever asked me if I have ever been to the Burg or how their food is. That alone tells you something.
    Last edited by etownboarder; 05-01-2015 at 10:53 AM.

C2E Long Term Contributor

I for one keep forgetting about the Burg and have meant to try them out, but I often forget about them. But unlike the other 104 St retailers I never hear any buzz about them from the foodie/blogger/hipster circles.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Never smelled that smell, but will look for it next time.

Burg is a decent burger, good beer selection, service hit and miss. Great spot pre-Oilers games.

Many people do not know they exist though.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Never smelled that smell, but will look for it next time.

Burg is a decent burger, good beer selection, service hit and miss. Great spot pre-Oilers games.

Many people do not know they exist though.
    Exactly. Nobody talks about it. This thread is probably the most social media attention the restaurant gets anywhere.

Service is a big issue, as a former regular, I would only sit at the bar unless with a party greater than 2.
    Burgers are stellar in my opinion, though...

Concur, bar good, inside lackluster.
    www.decl.org

So ^^we hear, although ^in Metro they said it was 'just for appraisal' purposes.
    www.decl.org

That is their public stance, they are interested in selling I am told though.
    I suppose the question is will they actually go through with it? Would be a shame to give up on it with the arena so close to being open.

^bingo.

I have been a few times and underwhelmed each time. With the number of options in the core now, there is little need to go back to somewhere with poor service or inconsistent food.
    www.decl.org

I've never been - but I'm not sure I will ever go based on yelp and this guy: http://rift-vr.com/burg/

Good link Medwards.

But to be frank, Top_Dawg figgers most of those reviews were from shortly after they opened when they were working out the kinks.

Top_Dawg only ate there once and that was a long time ago.

So he can't definitively comment about the food.

But Top_Dawg always gets good service.

No issues there.

C2E SME

I consider myself reasonably picky (but realistic) about food and service at restaurants, and overall I think the Burg is reasonably decent. Their prices are quite a bit more reasonable now that the burgers come with sides. I've eaten there around half a dozen times, and as far as I recall the food was quite good each time. The people I was with agreed as well. Really the main issue for me has been mediocre service.

That being said, I wouldn't be too broken up if some other establishment took over. I'm not a big burger guy, and something with a bigger menu and more variety would be welcome. I've actually tried to go there more often, but generally that gets nixed by the girlfriend or my friends because they don't want a burger. The concept just isn't that attractive to most people, I don't think.

As far as the Yelp thing goes, people have long memories if they have a bad experience. It would take a ton of convincing to get me back to the Mercer for a meal after I had 2 absolutely awful experiences there. Also, Yelp is kind of a terrible website for reviews. They basically extort business owners to remove bad reviews. I'd go more with something like UrbanSpoon, TripAdvisor, Google Reviews etc.
    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 13-04-2015 at 10:37 AM.

I ate at "The Burg" once, and found it to be mehhh, not terrible, but not good value nor a place that interested me in returning. This was 1.5 year ago when they had a bad beer selection and sides were not included.

I found something strange about the place and amateurish that I couldn't put my finger on, the best I can compare it to is restaurants owned by passionate hobbyists who know nothing of the actual restaurant business, but try and make a go of it anyways. They talked a good game about their burgers and pickles, and yet, they delivered a pretty ordinary product (I seriously could not tell their pickles from store-bought) and seemed half-hearted about everything else. It was a Saturday night and every other place was hopping which is why we ended up going to that end of town, and they were practically dead. They had an heir then like they were going to go out of business soon.

Yet they managed to last. Now, that it's up for sale for 'appraisal purposes only" just adds to that strangeness, making me think the place has been some weird real-estate speculation all along.
    Last edited by Snake Eyes; 13-04-2015 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    I've actually tried to go there more often, but generally that gets nixed by the girlfriend or my friends because they don't want a burger.
    Agreed. For arguments sake let's say I've been on dates with 50 different people this past 18 months. I'd say 42 of them don't eat red meat. Now, I don't know if that's why they're single, or if such a high percentage of women don't like food, but it sure can't be helping a place like The Burg that has only burgers on the menu.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

I've actually tried to go there more often, but generally that gets nixed by the girlfriend or my friends because they don't want a burger.
    Agreed. For arguments sake let's say I've been on dates with 50 different people this past 18 months. I'd say 42 of them don't eat red meat. Now, I don't know if that's why they're single, or if such a high percentage of women don't like food, but it sure can't be helping a place like The Burg that has only burgers on the menu.
    ...50...? Good god man, are you a founder of Tinder or something??

C2E SME

My girlfriend has said that The Burg's veggie patty is actually extremely good. She's a recovering vegetarian, but has the occasional relapse.

IMHO, I think it's the wrong location for a specialty burger place. It would be great as a mid-range pub, with a good beer selection and a small but varied menu. Something that would be attractive to the 45-minute lunch crowd, and also attractive to the after-hours crowd looking for a place to have a beer and relax.

Would splitting it up into a dining lounge and a separate lounge make it better or worse ?

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    Would splitting it up into a dining lounge and a separate lounge make it better or worse ?
    I can't remember the size of the place offhand, would work for the pub idea, but I don't think it would be a good idea with burger only concept ,but I think the burger-only concept is not a good idea to begin with.

For arguments sake let's say I've been on dates with 50 different people this past 18 months.
    In your dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    For arguments sake let's say I've been on dates with 50 different people this past 18 months.
    In your dreams.
    Huh, and I'm probably lowballing it... Didn't say anything about making it to a second date though! My life is like Groundhog Day with first dates. I'd be shocked if the bartenders at Sugarbowl don't have a running bet on when I'll actually see the same girl a second time.

That lends context to my thread on great date spots, because I'm sick of first interviews dates at the same places.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by snake eyes View Post
    imho, i think it's the wrong location for a specialty burger place. It would be great as a mid-range pub, with a good beer selection and a small but varied menu. Something that would be attractive to the 45-minute lunch crowd, and also attractive to the after-hours crowd looking for a place to have a beer and relax.
    Keg!
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I was thinking more like Elephant & Castle -- minus the British kitsch and with actually good food. A modern Pub or bistro, a place with relaxed atmosphere to grab a meal or a drink.

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Eyes View Post
    I was thinking more like Elephant & Castle -- minus the British kitsch and with actually good food. A modern Pub or bistro, a place with relaxed atmosphere to grab a meal or a drink.
    So basically what Kelly's should have been, instead of the steaming pile of suck it is?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12