Thread: Barriers free playground

C2E SME

Default Barriers free playground

So I was getting some lesson plans ready for Monday morning and was looking through a number of videos that I could maybe use when I came accross a video that made me wonder, "Is there a barriers free playground here in the city of Edmonton. If there is that type of playground then great, but where is it? If there isn't that type of playground, I would then ask, why not? Have a look at the video as I think if we don't have a barriers free playground in the city, we should step up to the plate and have at least one built here.

Shalom Sesame: Sivan in the Park
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

I think the one in Rundle park may be considered barrier free.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    So I was getting some lesson plans ready for Monday morning and was looking through a number of videos that I could maybe use when I came accross a video that made me wonder, "Is there a barriers free playground here in the city of Edmonton. If there is that type of playground then great, but where is it? If there isn't that type of playground, I would then ask, why not? Have a look at the video as I think if we don't have a barriers free playground in the city, we should step up to the plate and have at least one built here.

Shalom Sesame: Sivan in the Park
    Edmcowboy11

I don't know if we have one or more that have all the features that were shown in video, but I do know we have many that have major portions.

Most of the newer playgrounds in the city and surrounding area have incorporated major portions of what was shown.

That said many of the older ones would not come close.

It has gotten dramatically better in the last 10 years and expect it will get more so in the next 10.

In my highly biased personal opinion

Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

C2E SME

Thanks for the list, I'm going to have to check things out myself. One park I will be very curious to see the final product is the new playground being built at the Kinsmen recreational centre and what they include at that location.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Thanks for the list, I'm going to have to check things out myself. One park I will be very curious to see the final product is the new playground being built at the Kinsmen recreational centre and what they include at that location.
    I sincerely hope that the new playground isn't a complete letdown like the rebuilt Rundle Park facility. I may not a kid at all anymore, but I really think that playgrounds have de-evolved over the last 5-10 years. Yeah, I know there's safety codes and all that, but old playgrounds like the ones that were at Rundle Park and Windsor Park (right by the Jubilee on 87th ave) were so much more adventurous and exciting with all the ladders, merry-go-rounds, roller slides, and vertical tunnels. Nowhere near as lame-looking as the random piles of 10-ft-high platforms that are super-safe to the point of looking like colourful prisons - complete with all those guardrails and bars...or even worse, the natural "playground" at Rundle which is a babysitter's nightmare. I've tried to look after small kids there. The small footbridge and random pile of weeds, rocks, and sticks does nothing to hold their attention.

Nowhere near as lame-looking as the random piles of 10-ft-high platforms that are super-safe to the point of looking like colourful prisons - complete with all those guardrails and bars...or even worse, the natural "playground" at Rundle which is a babysitter's nightmare. I've tried to look after small kids there. The small footbridge and random pile of weeds, rocks, and sticks does nothing to hold their attention.
    Interesting you bring that up

Over the last year or so I have seen a number of programs on TV and read a few articles about how playground have become so sterile that some are actually thinking they are now detrimental to children developing problem solving and risk management skills.

They have become too safe

It's an interesting line of thought and one I am becoming more in line with.

No we don't want to harken back to the dark ages, but making things too safe and too easy can be a problem too.

Quote Originally Posted by JordanGalhanth View Post
    I sincerely hope that the new playground isn't a complete letdown like the rebuilt Rundle Park facility. I may not a kid at all anymore, but I really think that playgrounds have de-evolved over the last 5-10 years. Yeah, I know there's safety codes and all that, but old playgrounds like the ones that were at Rundle Park and Windsor Park (right by the Jubilee on 87th ave) were so much more adventurous and exciting with all the ladders, merry-go-rounds, roller slides, and vertical tunnels. Nowhere near as lame-looking as the random piles of 10-ft-high platforms that are super-safe to the point of looking like colourful prisons - complete with all those guardrails and bars...or even worse, the natural "playground" at Rundle which is a babysitter's nightmare. I've tried to look after small kids there. The small footbridge and random pile of weeds, rocks, and sticks does nothing to hold their attention.

I couldn't agree more, this 'playground' is terrible, but not the worst revamp. Across the bridge at Goldbar was by far one of the best and busiest playgrounds. It was ripped out and replaced with a 'moose trail' - absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hinderks View Post
    Nowhere near as lame-looking as the random piles of 10-ft-high platforms that are super-safe to the point of looking like colourful prisons - complete with all those guardrails and bars...or even worse, the natural "playground" at Rundle which is a babysitter's nightmare. I've tried to look after small kids there. The small footbridge and random pile of weeds, rocks, and sticks does nothing to hold their attention.

Over the last year or so I have seen a number of programs on TV and read a few articles about how playground have become so sterile that some are actually thinking they are now detrimental to children developing problem solving and risk management skills.

No we don't want to harken back to the dark ages, but making things too safe and too easy can be a problem too.

Totally agree. All the science is now basically saying we should throw our kids in a gauntlet full of peanuts otherwise they'll grow up to be allergic sissies with no critical thinking skills.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hinderks View Post

Totally agree. All the science is now basically saying we should throw our kids in a gauntlet full of peanuts otherwise they'll grow up to be allergic sissies with no critical thinking skills.
    Just look at what's happened to the adults/parents...

Not mentioned was the fact that a scarf apparently got past two lines of defence - the parent(s) and the school staff.

Also interesting how parents want full and immediate disclosure.

Parents seeking answers after girl choked by scarf on playground
    Erika Stark, Calgary Herald, November 3, 2015

“The thing that concerns me the most about the school is how they handled it,” Monford said. “No parent was informed, so you can imagine how we all felt showing up at the school with news crews and ambulances on the field.”

“Why haven’t we been informed, especially as parents of the school, what’s going on?” she said. “Why haven’t we been told even how she’s doing or what precautions they may be taking now?”

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...-on-playground