Thread: EEDC Economic Impact Luncheon

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Default EEDC Economic Impact Luncheon

From reading Master Maq's report from the EEDC Economic Impact Luncheon, Brad Ferguson scored a win.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Long Term Contributor

Indeed and I look forward to seeing what changes he makes within EEDC.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E Continued Contributor

Brad is really a well spoken and proactive voice for our city, much like Mandel but on a different level. I really hope we get some positive traction with him in this position. A really good vision.

Partially Addicted to C2E

I enjoyed IMPACT very much yesterday. Very positive presentation on all fronts.
    Edmonton is a diverse landscape of business and culture in a beautiful rivervalley setting

First One is Always Free

I don't get the glowing praise. I was there and saw no actual plan for action. Same old same old delivered by a younger and more polished speaker.

If anything they have a good new slogan.

Someone please explain their positive view.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Anyone following the tweets from today's Impact lunch? Impressive, I must say.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Watched the whole thing.... I am glad someone finally posted about it.

It truely was communication and thinking that is of global quality. It also had some very HARSH wake up calls for our business community.

We are not foing good enough and we must do better.. but we have started on that path.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

C2E Super Addict

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    Watched the whole thing.... I am glad someone finally posted about it.

It truely was communication and thinking that is of global quality. It also had some very HARSH wake up calls for our business community.

We are not foing good enough and we must do better.. but we have started on that path.
    You couldn't quite bring yourself to use that old chestnut "world class" could you.
    "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, it’s not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

Expat did you watch it? were you there... Did you here Brad talk about work being don in Berkeley and start up centers from around the world. Did you hear them talk about how we don't prepare our business to compete outside our very insulated region. Did you hear the call to arms needed in order to counter global misrepresentation of one of the life bloods of this area.

It was very much a reality check of Edmonton within the larger global context.

your post makes you look foolish as opposed to witty.
    Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 14-01-2014 at 03:36 PM.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

C2E Posting Power
    Below that old white mountain, just a little southeast of Nome

Default Calgary Economic Development gets $3M from province, Ottawa to attract investment

Not sure if this is the appropriate thread or not but wondering if EEDC has asked for something similar as well?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...rant-1.3781074

grrrrrrrrrr.

That city is far more the "government town" than we are. Panhandling leeches.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Quote Originally Posted by edTel View Post
    Not sure if this is the appropriate thread or not but wondering if EEDC has asked for something similar as well?

I heard on the news that a similar announcement is forthcoming for Edmonton.

Default Funding for Economic Development

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edTel View Post

I heard on the news that a similar announcement is forthcoming for Edmonton.
    Yes, I read an article somewhere else that indicated announcements of other possibly similar programs would also be made for other cities.

I'll believe it if I see it, but I have a long list of reasons to be skeptical.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    I'll believe it if I see it, but I have a long list of reasons to be skeptical.
    Given that EEDC is funded by us lowly taxpayers, can someone please point me to a link regarding their performance with our money. I would be looking for specific benefits earned by taxpayers and full ROI calculations. Surely those exist somewhere......what's that; crickets I hear????

^ ??? How is this related to what I said?

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Brad Ferguson's keynote speech from today's Impact Luncheon
    http://www.eedc.ca/impact/2017-keynote/

C2E Long Term Contributor

Another very good luncheon. Brad bang on with his words. We are divisive and being unproductive as a Province in many, many ways. Innovation, small business, creative class and growing value added through growth in our industrial/manufacturing sectors is key.

Think global!
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E Continued Contributor

Hmmm, reading the text it almost sounds like someone hankering to get into politics. Seems to have a love in for Trump as a threat to Canada by enticing every person with a brain instead of as an opportunity to get the brain flow to go north.
    My antidepressent drug of choice is running. Cheaper with less side effects!

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Did the crowd break into a spontaneous ' LOCK HER UP ' chant ?

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Another very good luncheon. Brad bang on with his words. We are divisive and being unproductive as a Province in many, many ways. Innovation, small business, creative class and growing value added through growth in our industrial/manufacturing sectors is key.

Think global!
    With protectionism spreading around the globe, our reliance on globalism has left us with an even larger vulnerable population.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by booster View Post
    Hmmm, reading the text it almost sounds like someone hankering to get into politics.
    Others said the same.

I was there. It was a great presentation. Could easily have been applied to a provincial audience.

The table I was at was talking about all the other languages besides English we could speak when Brad got talking about the need to learn foreign languages.
    My table was also talking about our travels and the need to travel to places like Shanghai, Mumbai, and Dubai when again Brad spoke the same thing.
    Irony? Coincidence?

Nice to see the promotion of the direct flight to Amsterdam on KLM and the Air China Cargo to Shanghai. Use it or lose it!