Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Mayor Mandel's 2012 year-end interview

  1. #1
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    32,317

    Default Mayor Mandel's 2012 year-end interview

    Mayor Mandel's year-end interview with Global

    Covers a lot of bases. I hope he runs for another term...if not, then I hope the next mayor continues Mandel's great vision.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

  2. #2
    Addicted to C2E
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    568

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Mayor Mandel's year-end interview with Global

    Covers a lot of bases. I hope he runs for another term...if not, then I hope the next mayor continues Mandel's great vision.
    Mixed feelings. Personally, I'll be glad when he's gone, but I'm not sure we have anyone waiting in the wings who can do any better or will do things differently.

  3. #3
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Edmonton - Blue Quill
    Posts
    3,062

    Default

    Best mayor we've ever had. I'd vote for him should he run again.
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

  4. #4
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    4,800

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Mayor Mandel's year-end interview with Global

    Covers a lot of bases. I hope he runs for another term...if not, then I hope the next mayor continues Mandel's great vision.
    Mixed feelings. Personally, I'll be glad when he's gone, but I'm not sure we have anyone waiting in the wings who can do any better or will do things differently.
    Are you trying to be contrary? You think there is no one better but you don't want to vote for him.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

  5. #5
    Addicted to C2E
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    568

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Mayor Mandel's year-end interview with Global

    Covers a lot of bases. I hope he runs for another term...if not, then I hope the next mayor continues Mandel's great vision.
    Mixed feelings. Personally, I'll be glad when he's gone, but I'm not sure we have anyone waiting in the wings who can do any better or will do things differently.
    Are you trying to be contrary? You think there is no one better but you don't want to vote for him.
    My worry is that we end up with another Mandel vs. Dorward vs. Bonar circus where there is no credible alternative.

  6. #6

    Default

    Dorward would've made a credible alternative until he got waterboarded by deadvision edmonton
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

  7. #7

    Default

    Regardless of one's personal views on his vision for the city, it's his ability to get council motivated and working cooperatively that won me over, as well as his public dressing down of administration when they drop the ball. I'm skeptical that any challenger will have those capabilities, regardless of what kind of platform they run on.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

  8. #8
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    edmonton, alberta
    Posts
    2,283

    Default

    I believe Mandel is the best mayor we have ever had. He gets things done and has made people excited about the future of this city. We need him to run for at least one more term.

  9. #9
    C2E Stole my Heart!!!!
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Ozerna, North Edmonton
    Posts
    8,962

    Default

    ^ +1,000, by far the best mayor we have ever had.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    I believe Mandel is the best mayor we have ever had. He gets things done and has made people excited about the future of this city. We need him to run for at least one more term.
    he says he loves the job!!
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

  11. #11

    Default

    Love him too, but he seems burned out this year. Hope he decides to run again, but wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't.

  12. #12
    Becoming a C2E Power Poster
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Clareview
    Posts
    414

    Default

    I think it depends on the arena and LRT. If these projects stall or fall apart, I bet Mandel will run again. Both would be a huge for his legacy, and he's wanted these projects done from the beginning.

    Mayor Mandel won't step down if he feels there's unfinished business (in my opinion.)
    We would share and listen and support and welcome, be propelled by passion not invest in outcomes. We would breathe and be charmed and amused by difference. -Alanis Morissette

  13. #13
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Sherwood Park, AB
    Posts
    11,447

    Default

    I think, at this point, there doesn't look like a clear-cut successor to Mandel. There are some qualified candidates, but I'm not sure if they could build the same consensus as Mandel did.

    I agree, Mandel looks tired, and there will be challengers. I also agree that we might have until about March or April, or the anti-arena forces could gain momentum.
    Last edited by The_Cat; 30-12-2012 at 09:38 AM.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •