Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 21272829303132 LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,100 of 3141

Thread: Edmonton Tower | 129.9 m, 426', 29 floors |

Administrator *

Also, the podium along 104 Ave is absolutely amazing at night with Christmas decorations and lighting. I implore anyone with a good camera to get a shot of it before Christmas, please!

C2E Hard Core Contributor

The Christmas tree in the lobby has a heck of a light show going on. It's pretty impressive whoever set that thing up.

Looks like they painted the vents on the top?

This building just keeps getting better and better with every picture. Doesn't need to be super tall to be an instant classic. Just a wonderful building.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by chrisvazquez7 View Post
    Also, the podium along 104 Ave is absolutely amazing at night with Christmas decorations and lighting. I implore anyone with a good camera to get a shot of it before Christmas, please!
    You got it.

So, they seem to be trying to test the LED fin lights at times when they think nobody is going to see them or something, but this morning they had the top section of the tower's LED lights playing a really cool waterfall animation before promptly turning red and then turning off.

Do we know yet if these LED lights go top to bottom?

We definitely heard "no", and the suggestion that they might was suggested to have been a test of the fire alarms, not the exterior fins.

I'm not expecting it, but then again I wasn't expecting a 68 storey tower in Edmonton or a JW Marriot or ...
    Let's make Edmonton better.

No, like, I saw the fire alarm testing, but that was obviously that. These are multi-colour LEDs on the top of the building that go about 1/4 the way down on the north facing side. It was playing an animated, blue, purple and teal-ish waterfall animation, and I've previously seen them lit up bright red. They're clearly testing them because there are some gaps yet. I took a picture but it was so dark at 7 AM that it looks like garbage. I've attached it nonetheless.

It's still cool, but it would've been amazing to go all the way to the bottom.

They may when it's done! It's definitely not finished--as I mentioned above, there are some fins that appear not to work.

Instead of going all the way down, the LEDs would look really cool if they had a sort of bleeding/dripping effect like the Aura does in Toronto. I think this effect would look better on the COE than it does on the Aura, because on the latter I've read complaints that it reminds people of something I won't mention, lol.

https://www.thestar.com/business/rea...boom-town.html

I also feel this way! Had the same thought. They either should go all the way to the bottom or end at varying lengths; having them all stop at 1/4 the way down the building looks kind of awkward to me.

Last edited by sonicboom; 14-12-2016 at 09:59 AM.

C2E Posting Power

I wonder what the capacity of the plaza is gonna be? It'll sure be fun watching the Stanley cup finals from there.

C2E Long Term Contributor

I was very impressed with this tower when I went through on Tuesday.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

COE logo is finally up on the east face of the tower.

C2E Continued Contributor

^ Oooooooh very nice! Thanks B.ike

Yesterday:

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Massive downtown (red-&-white) flag helps chase away winter blues
    Huge image of Canadian flag appears on the north side of new Edmonton Tower

By Lydia Neufeld, CBC

Look up. Look waaaay up in downtown Edmonton today and you may catch a glimpse of a massive Canadian flag projected on a highrise.

"I had to actually pull over and get my iPhone out and take a picture," Cindy Ferrari said Wednesday. "This is very, very creative, and this is what makes this city amazing."

The image covers the top four storeys, from edge to edge, on the north side of the new Edmonton Tower, on the corner of 101st Street and 104th Avenue.

The moving image shows a Canadian flag, flapping in the wind.

The huge image is hard to miss, Ferrari said.

"The innovation, the technology, is amazing. It's breathtaking."

Edmonton Tower, owned by the Katz Group, opened in November in the downtown arena district.

It houses more than 65 per cent of the city's downtown workforce, about 2,300 employees, who occupy 17 of its 27 floors.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...920974?cmp=rss
    Last edited by Hilman; 04-01-2017 at 12:21 PM.

Very cool.

Is that the extent of it???
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Is that the extent of it???
    Yes. Confirmed it's the top of the building only.

Thanks... still very cool, just had hoped for the entire north facade #wishfulthinking
    www.decl.org

C2E Posting Power

Thanks... still very cool, just had hoped for the entire north facade #wishfulthinking
    I'm hoping for that on the North Face of the Trophy tower.

The Stantec Tower will feature that type of "screen" right from the podium to the very top, on both the North and South faces.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    The Stantec Tower will feature that type of "screen" right from the podium to the very top, on both the North and South faces.
    No. No it won't.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

You mean we might see EDM events like this in the Ice District?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBsO3_XpH0Q

Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    No. No it won't.
    Really? Then what was that animated render they posted?

3:18:

Last edited by JayBee; 05-01-2017 at 12:22 AM. Reason: render in question added

Quote Originally Posted by David Jackson View Post
    You mean we might see EDM events like this in the Ice District?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBsO3_XpH0Q
    No, it's a lot more limited than that. That's a projection.

edit -- I mean, yeah they could bring a projector, and yeah they could make do with the LED they'll be making permanent, but no, the LED can't do what the projector can do.
    Last edited by JayBee; 05-01-2017 at 12:24 AM.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Lit up tonight. Beautiful from a distance. Very cool to see the Canadian flag up there. It looked amazing driving along Kingsway Avenue this evening.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Its a cool building and I'm satisfied with the location and size of the display. Also that different things can be displayed and hopefully some variety and programming of sorts. Overall a real positive to the Edmonton skyline. up top public viewing platform would be nice.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

I guess if that future tower is ever built on the baccarat site we'd lose the view. Something like this would make more sense on the tallest tower in the city, ie Stantec, especially facing south.
    Last edited by Vincent; 05-01-2017 at 08:54 AM.

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
    I guess if that future tower is ever built on the baccarat site we'd lose the view. Something like this would make more sense on the tallest tower in the city, ie Stantec, especially facing south.
    My suspicion is that considering both are being built by the same developer we might not be getting the expected height those placeholders indicated otherwise why waste the money?

That is nothing more than just a suspicion; but if such is the case I'm okay with it. This district has lots of height let's just keep the buildings gorgeous.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stevey_G View Post
    My suspicion is that considering both are being built by the same developer we might not be getting the expected height those placeholders indicated otherwise why waste the money?

That is nothing more than just a suspicion; but if such is the case I'm okay with it. This district has lots of height let's just keep the buildings gorgeous.
    I've heard you can move the visual display, tilt it, point it straight up at the sky. With a Batman logo.

Hey, I like the building, just said that, but couldn't resist.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

I really just wish that the LED fins were not all the same length. It just looks awkward how they all stop as if it's a billboard. Especially when simply displaying colours it would look dramatically better.

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevey_G View Post

I've heard you can move the visual display, tilt it, point it straight up at the sky. With a Batman logo.

Hey, I like the building, just said that, but couldn't resist.
    Edmonton deserves a bat-signal! It can be Katz smiling in the clouds.

"This is a first for western Canada, but certainly not the last for Ice District".
    "When one building does something, the other buildings will do the same thing".

Sounds like they're saying Stantec will have the same feature.

Maybe not the same thing, but that all towers in the district will be timed and colour coordinated to work together.

Did a fin meet it's end already?

Administrator *

^ At least it's on the edge, not very noticeable. This better have world-class maintenance...

i was looking at that one night and it was video of aurora borealis but you could hardly tell. you can't have any detail with the lights so wide apart like that. i presume it's more like the high level bridge type of display. just does colours and not actual images. maybe it better from far away

^ exactly. More long distance impressionism or near distance ambiance, not like the laser projectors.

^ exactly. More long distance impressionism or near distance ambiance, not like the laser projectors.
    Which is interesting given they planned for a building just north of it in the 'masterplan', and that this isn't that tall of a building either. But by then who knows

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post

The world of Blade Runner as imagined in 1981 has been more or less matched by now. Is the person on the upper left (below) the same person as on the right (above) thirty-five years later?

"The world of Blade Runner as imagined in 1981 has been more or less matched by now."

Still waiting for the flying cars.

^ We have those as well

Real Life Flying Cars

Quote Originally Posted by Perspective View Post
    Which is interesting given they planned for a building just north of it in the 'masterplan', and that this isn't that tall of a building either. But by then who knows

I won't be at all surprised if the Baccarat block buildings both beat CoE Tower in height.

But, I still like the LED display for the ambiance. Fun in a way from any angle, although not really 4k video quality. I think the ICE Level video was kindof suggesting a tribute to the CN Tower logo.

The lit up fins looked incredible from the Capilano Bridge the other night. It completely changes the skyline.

I wonder if these LED fins could be (and would be) moved to another building if the view ever got blocked.

It was doing the northern lights last night.
    www.decl.org

In the architectural economics frame, I don't think the cost of the panels would be worth the cost of the transplant. I'd expect they're permanent.

Still, even with taller buildings on the Baccarat block, they're not exactly going to shroud it either.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Is Royal Bank still planning on taking the NE corner of the main lobby of the COE tower? If so, will this be a new RBC branch, or will they be moving one of their 2 existing downtown branches (2nd floor of Manulife, Jasper/101 St)?

Also waiting to see what will take the other retail spaces in COE.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Thought the flare of the LED screen in the HVAC fog was cool:

I really love the top of the tower and the LED lighting. Can't wait to see more in the other towers as they rise. It's such a great effect.

I really don't like this corny northern lights animation. It's kind of hard to parse and has a terrible frame rate. I think the display would look much better with more abstract designs.

Administrator *

Personally I like it. Way better than the Oilers colours. The Canadian flag was awesome. I'm hoping they allow artists to design a display and cycle through those.

I don't love the oilers colours either - I guess what I wish they were doing more is trying less to use it like a display and acknowledging more that it's really strips of LED lights. The Canadian flag worked well because there was such strong contrast between the colours and there were only two so you could still tell what it is.

make it a giant scoreboard during game nights.

And rest of the time have it on the Canadian Flag - nothing wrong showing some patriotism

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

It was doing the northern lights last night.
    I want to see a Pink Floyd tm Flying Pig. But then I'm partial to that sort of thing. I think that would look neat up there.

Not jk either. Go out of the ballpark once in awhile and project some stuff that is surreal and gets people talking, taking pictures, posting them, commenting on what it showed last night.

So many times such projections are safe in nature. Push the envelope.

Minimally projections up there could coincide with performing acts that are at Rogers or performing in the downtown. This would then get retweeted by the acts themselves and their fans. As in "look what Edmonton showed last night DT for the Radiohead gig. (dreaming)
    Last edited by Replacement; 20-01-2017 at 11:02 AM.

Pushing the envelope (a la "we done bitches!") is great, but there's only so much you can do with these strips.

Ironic that you have to look south to see those Northern Lights.

www.decl.org

I'd rather C2E than work!

Bell could use a lighting touch up ...

^agree, but didn't they get that new bell logo up not too long ago? What bothers me the most is that when they had the old bell logo, it was only placed on the south and east side. So when they put up the new logo, I thought they would have it on all four sides but it turns out to be only on the north and west. It's so weird...

Administrator *

The LED screen hasn't been on the last few nights. What's going on?

Job No 143774258-065
    Description: To change the Use from General Retail Stores on main floor and second floor to Restaurant (60% of Public Space, 108, 110, 118, 120, 220, 230, 240, 250-10111, 104 Ave), Professional, Financial and Office Support Services (102-10111, 104 Ave) and Convenience Retail Stores (112-10111, 104 Ave), to construct exterior alterations (adding mechanical louvre on east and south elevations) and adding outdoor patio spaces to 108, 110, 118 and 120, 10111- 104 Ave)
    Plan 8021480 Blk 1 Lot A
    10104 - 103 AVENUE NW
    Plan 8021480 Blk 1 Lot B
    Applicant: STANTEC ARCHITECTURE LTD.
    Create Date: 1/31/2017 12:27:47 PM

^Which restaurant is this?

Quote Originally Posted by Axb View Post
    ^agree, but didn't they get that new bell logo up not too long ago? What bothers me the most is that when they had the old bell logo, it was only placed on the south and east side. So when they put up the new logo, I thought they would have it on all four sides but it turns out to be only on the north and west. It's so weird...
    Probably because those signs cost so much.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

^^ There's been stony silence on what's going to open in the retail bays - this is the last I heard:

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    What I've heard for retail so far:

- Tim Horton's
    - Good Earth
    - Royal Bank

They want both low and high end coffee. There are 2 restaurant CRU's as wel, BP's looked at one but it apparently fell through.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Starting February 27, 2017, the Edmonton Service Centre is the new location for permits, passes, payments, licences and more.

https://www.edmonton.ca/programs_ser...ce-centre.aspx

Official opening tomorrow.
    www.decl.org

List of service desks being consolidated:

Downtown service locations closing February 24
    The following downtown City of Edmonton service locations will close at the end of the business day February 24, and the services will be available in the Edmonton Service Centre on February 27.

ETS Customer Service Office
    Transit fares and passes, as well as ETS lost and found

Permits and Licensing Service Centre
    Bylaw ticket payments, business licences, development and construction permits

Assessment and Taxation Customer Service Centre
    Property taxation information and payments

CN Tower Leisure Access Program Applications
    Applications and program eligibility information

Drainage Planning Services
    Information, permits and inspections for lot grading, water and sewer servicing and flood prevention.
    https://www.edmonton.ca/programs_ser...ce-centre.aspx

Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

They've been posting signs about the ETS office being closed at the stations lately. But these signs create a bit of a panic upon first seeing them, because they emphasise the word "CLOSED" and only the finer print indicates they're actually being moved.

Doesn't matter to me that much because I think I've visited this office once since I moved to Edmonton and that was the location before the City Hall one. Had a dickens of a time finding it too. I'm not used to the Churchill Station to City Centre pedway and the office seemed to be hidden in a nook.

^Nice. Heard they said all will be leased up, including retail, by this time next year.
    www.decl.org

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by Hilman View Post
    Have a salmon puff

DavidEwasukCTV @DavidEwasukCTV

View from a city workers desk. 9th floor in new City of Edmonton Tower. More at 5 and 6.

https://twitter.com/DavidEwasukCTV/s...74215889784832

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    ^Nice. Heard they said all will be leased up, including retail, by this time next year.
    It would almost seem that ICE District needs more office space.

^reference is for COE Tower retail, not office... but they are doing well, flight to quality.

COE Tower officially opened! Most awesome ice carving of the tower and Mr. Katz and family even joined!

https://twitter.com/IanOyeg
    www.decl.org

In addition to City of Edmonton employees, Edmonton Tower is already home to Kids & Company, and the future home of RBC Dominion Securities, Sorrell Financial and more. The first floor will feature a RBC banking centre that is targeting a fall of 2017 opening. Gateway Newstands, also on the first floor, and Tim Hortons, on the second floor, are both targeting openings in summer of 2017. More exciting eateries, stores and services will be announced in the coming months.

http://icedistrict.com/wp/news-media...strict-towers/

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

I wonder when they are going to light up the Edmonton sign? From what I remember it is LED right?
    Edmonton is a very exciting place to be right now.

Fun!

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Quote Originally Posted by sonicboom View Post
    In addition to City of Edmonton employees, Edmonton Tower is already home to Kids & Company, and the future home of RBC Dominion Securities, Sorrell Financial and more. The first floor will feature a RBC banking centre that is targeting a fall of 2017 opening. Gateway Newstands, also on the first floor, and Tim Hortons, on the second floor, are both targeting openings in summer of 2017. More exciting eateries, stores and services will be announced in the coming months.

http://icedistrict.com/wp/news-media...strict-towers/
    Link no workee.
    I'm still curious to know if this RBC is a new branch or if they are moving one of their 2 existing downtown branches?

Quote Originally Posted by finishstrong View Post
    I wonder when they are going to light up the Edmonton sign? From what I remember it is LED right?
    I checked the timelapse cameras from last night, but still not a flicker. I thought with the opening yesterday that's what they might have been waiting for.

I'd rather C2E than work!

$300 million seems awful pricey for 29 floors, when Caisse invested the same amount of dollars for a 45 story tower in Chicago. Of course that was 2012 dollars. I don't know if that project got off the ground.

Hines began a 40 story tower in Denver a few years ago. Not sure about the status of both those projects. Sorry no time to get a link. Not hating, just saying.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    $300 million seems awful pricey for 29 floors, when Caisse invested the same amount of dollars for a 45 story tower in Chicago. Of course that was 2012 dollars. I don't know if that project got off the ground.

Hines began a 40 story tower in Denver a few years ago. Not sure about the status of both those projects. Sorry no time to get a link. Not hating, just saying.
    one's in canadian dollars (which has to purchase many building components in u.s. dollars). the other is in u.s. dollars. not hating, just saying.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    one's in canadian dollars (which has to purchase many building components in u.s. dollars). the other is in u.s. dollars. not hating, just saying.
    But back in 2012 the Freedom Dollar to Beaver Bucks exchange was 1:1 or thereabouts. I know your point still stands, but in 2012 the disparity wasn't there (though I am cognizant that many things are more expensive for us here due to our relative geographic isolation.)
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Podium detail and tower from an overcast March 27, 2017.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    But back in 2012 the Freedom Dollar to Beaver Bucks exchange was 1:1 or thereabouts. I know your point still stands, but in 2012 the disparity wasn't there (though I am cognizant that many things are more expensive for us here due to our relative geographic isolation.)
    i don't think that factors in. both commitments were made about the same time but the edmonton tower was commited in 2012 and needed to paid for in canadian dollars that needed to be hedged by the owner, the contractor, the trades, the sub-trades and the suppliers or some combination thereof.

the caisse's commitment was made through ivanhoe cambridge for an american project that would be paid for in us dollars, something the owner had in abundance in both assets and cash. hedging was not an issue for anyone involved and neither was repatriation of capital an issue as market and currency diversification are part of the overall portfolio's risk management philosophy.

in combination, exchange as well as location are pretty strong components of the difference in pricing. the other component is simply the psychological one in what is reported vs what is reality. the caisse was buying and the cheaper they can make the acquisition appear the more astute they will appear. with the edmonton tower, the more the reported pricing can be inflated - or the more things that can be included in that pricing - the more astute the city's commitments appear while the greater the owner's investment in our city can be represented.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Gorgeous pics Spill.

^ Thank you. Now that the worst of the cold is over, I expect fair-weather photographers (such as myself) to become more active, once again.

Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 21272829303132 LastLast