Thread: Montreal's bid

C2E Hard Core Contributor

WOW! They've done their homework, haven't they?

Yikes, looks good doesn't it!

Edmonton has done research on 2017 as well...

Addicted to C2E

There's still plenty of time.

There is still time...plenty not so much.

Much research, background materials and garnering of support etc. has been done by people in Edmonton including this grassroots group.

The energy, enthusiasm and expertise is Edmonton--harnessing everything is where we are at.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Remember, Montreal has some history here and probably has a proposal like this pretty much canned for awhile. It looks pretty though...

If I were a betting man, I'd lay odds against Montreal just like I laid odds against Calgary for 2010...another city needs a turn at hosting this party. Van gets the Olympics, and I think it is another city's turn to do the World's Fair in Canada.
    President and CEO - Airshow.

For all it's worth, I think Edmonton's only "real" obstacle is hotel space. Otherwise we needn't fear Montreal (although respect is healthy.) Don't forget Edmonton looked down bids from Moscow, Beijing, Istanbul, Paris, and San Francisco for the 2001 IAAFs. (It helped of course that most of them dropped out, but anything could happen to Montreal too.)

What we could fear though, is which way the federal government would lean...

Where do you think Harper would rather boost his fortunes?

What about Dion?

I'd really be interested in what they'd say.

Default Montreal unveils public transit plan inc. streetcars/tolls

MONTREAL (CP) -
    May 17, 2007

The City of Montreal has unveiled an ambitious $8-billion public transit plan for the next 20 years, including a streetcar network and the possibility of tolls on bridges and highways.

Mayor Gerald Tremblay said at a news conference Thursday that the plan is focusing on sustainable development. The mayor says as a result of climate change the city must change its ways and encourage the use of public transit.

The plan would also include extending the subway system, more bicycle paths and an airport rail link.

Its expected to be adopted next fall and would also need federal and provincial participation.

--30--

Addicted to C2E

I just read pretty much the same thing on CBC except there it said something along making it more difficult for drivers of cars to get around. Edmonton should do that before the major conjestion problems hit.

never answered e-mail

Quote Originally Posted by ike9126
    I just read pretty much the same thing on CBC except there it said something along making it more difficult for drivers of cars to get around. Edmonton should do that before the major conjestion problems hit.
    we have to also ensure we don't have infrastructure crumbling like this:

2 workers trapped after overpass in Montreal area collapses
    Last Updated: Thursday, May 17, 2007 | 5:04 PM ET
    The Canadian Press
    A piece of highway overpass collapsed Thursday near Montreal, trapping two workers.

It's not yet clear if the overpass was being repaired at the time, Quebec provincial police said. No motorists were driving in the area at the time, CBC News reported.

Last September, an overpass collapsed in Laval, Que., killing five people. A provincial inquiry is investigating that collapse.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2007/...-collapse.html

never answered e-mail

Quote Originally Posted by glasshead
    Quote Originally Posted by ike9126
    we have to also ensure we don't have infrastructure crumbling like this:

2 workers trapped after overpass in Montreal area collapses
    Last Updated: Thursday, May 17, 2007 | 5:04 PM ET
    The Canadian Press
    A piece of highway overpass collapsed Thursday near Montreal, trapping two workers.

It's not yet clear if the overpass was being repaired at the time, Quebec provincial police said. No motorists were driving in the area at the time, CBC News reported.

Last September, an overpass collapsed in Laval, Que., killing five people. A provincial inquiry is investigating that collapse.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2007/...-collapse.html
    oops, jumped the gun!

Debris falls off truck on Montreal highway, injuring 4
    Last Updated: Thursday, May 17, 2007 | 5:24 PM ET
    CBC News
    A huge metal beam that fell off a truck hurt four people on a Montreal-area highway Thursday.

Their conditions weren't immediately made public, but they were taken to hospital with serious injuries, according to local news reports.

Initial news reports wrongly said that a piece of highway overpass had collapsed in Candiac, Que., trapping two workers

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS
    If I were a betting man, I'd lay odds against Montreal just like I laid odds against Calgary for 2010...another city needs a turn at hosting this party. Van gets the Olympics, and I think it is another city's turn to do the World's Fair in Canada.
    I was thinking the same thing. A lot of their proposal is reusing a lot of what '67 was.