Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415
Results 1,401 to 1,443 of 1443

Thread: Yellowhead Trail | Discussion

This is all very exciting but it won't start for 5 years and then construction will take 10 years. If you have a two year old child today, she will literally have graduated from high school before this is all done.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

The diverging diamond at Fort Road looks really, really good. Cool stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
    Wow. Construction not starting until 2021? You'd think there'd be some plans ready to go by now.
    It was noted that 4 years would be the amount of time needed for property acquisition/appropriations. That's not to mention the time needed to actually do detailed design work, but then again the project is phased so less technically demanding stages can get done first. You have to remember that a year ago, nobody thought this project would be dusted off before the decade was out.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisvazquez7 View Post
    Wow! They're going to make Fort Rd a diverging diamond interchange! That will help traffic a lot in that area with so many left turns.
    That interchange being a DDI has been in the works a long time. I believe you can find discussions of it in the various 75 st upgrade wish threads going back to the past decade.

I don't understand why 127 St has to get all bendy though. Can't they build it in a straight line?
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Quote Originally Posted by Foolworm View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
    Wow. Construction not starting until 2021? You'd think there'd be some plans ready to go by now.
    It was noted that 4 years would be the amount of time needed for property acquisition/appropriations. That's not to mention the time needed to actually do detailed design work, but then again the project is phased so less technically demanding stages can get done first. You have to remember that a year ago, nobody thought this project would be dusted off before the decade was out.
    A few years ago City Council called for Yellowhead Trail to be upgraded to a freeway by 2041. So this would be an acceleration of this initiative.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by chrisvazquez7 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Foolworm View Post
    Detailed presentation to CEA of the proposed interchanges, road closures and feeders:

www.cea.ca/files/CEA%20Edm%20committee%20present.%202016.05.16-web.pdf
    Wow! They're going to make Fort Rd a diverging diamond interchange! That will help traffic a lot in that area with so many left turns.
    The drawings for Fort Road/Wayne Gretzky Drive show 4 travel lanes in each direction which is great and should accommodate the additional capacity from the closure of 66 Street. But I don't see any plans to add traffic lanes on Fort Road at the CNR underpass which has 2 narrow travel lanes in each direction. Widening the CNR underpass would seem to be a necessity in order to not create a new traffic choke point.

C2E SME

^I think the problem for the CNR pass is that it's probably being looked at as a completely separate project. Also this one would be a challenge because they would have to keep the tracks open while a replacement is built, which is always troublesome at the best of times.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

^Slide 16 of the CEA power point lists the 50 St and 75 St railway grade separations as future capital priorities. But I don't see the widening of the Fort Road railway underpass listed anywhere.

The Fort Road underpass was widened from two to four lanes in 1990. Since this is the CNR mainline, closing the line completely while a replacement is built is clearly not an option. As can be seen from Google Street View there are actually two bridges over Fort Road, accommodating two rail lines.

https:[email protected]..2!8i6656?hl=en

Perhaps rail traffic can be diverted onto a single bridge while the other is being widened and vice-versa.

C2E SME

I looked at the Fort Road/Gretzky Dr. Bridge on Google Earth and it looks like there's enough clearance to move the lanes over. I imagine that this would be the easiest to do, without a whole lot of disruption to Yellowhead Trail.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

* The NB 97 Street to WB Yellowhead "cloverleaf" (if I can call it that) is pretty clunky today and not capable of handling large traffic volumes. Those who have driven it will know what I mean.

There's a few of those around. 127 Ave WB to 97 St SB, YHT WB to 142 St SB. Michigan have a left named after them. Maybe we could call those an 'Edmonton Left'

I haven't gone through that Mickey Mouse thing in years. Mostly because I avoid YHT like the Plague. Does that green still last about 2 seconds when you've finally gone around 270 degrees of right hand turns?

C2E SME

Yellowhead Project will add $510 million to public debt:

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/poli...-edmonton-debt

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    Yellowhead Project will add $510 million to public debt:

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/poli...-edmonton-debt
    "The freeway has provincial and federal funding. But because those grants don’t cover land acquisition, splitting the tab three ways actually means Edmonton pays more than half."

Maybe it should have been a double decker highway without any land acquisition. Then bill the province and Feds for a larger share.

Or maybe run a west bound half of the Yellowhead down 127th Ave / 128th Ave.
    Last edited by KC; 17-02-2017 at 12:28 AM.

I'd rather C2E than work!

^ Even if we can't get other levels of government to pick up more of the tab, I would prefer spending more on bridges and less on property acquisition. I still like the idea of extending 109 St through Blatchford and closing both 107 and 121 St. Then use SPUIs at 127 and 149 St within the current right of way.

109 won't be extended through blatchford. You can forget that idea.

Ya, we know. It would make too much sense.

^Indeed. Has the city of Edmonton ever taken advantage of an opportunity to stitch up the street grid when a large block of land has been repurposed?

Such an opportunity is right . 109 straight thru and over or under the tracks and up 113A to Castle Downs with the LRT right alongside it.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 17-02-2017 at 10:30 AM.

I don't think any of the decision makers live north of the tracks, so... it's not an issue for them.

I think we're really missing an opportunity here too. That part of the Yellowhead where it curves to the north? Perfect spot for on/off ramps. Run the LRT in the median of the 109 St extension, with a station like they have on the Calgary NW line. It can serve NAIT and Blatchford. And a proper Bus station, and maybe a better thought-out Train station.

I see this as a perfect place for a good quality, multi-modal transportation hub for Edmonton.

Instead, we're going to be moving 30,000 residents into an area that already has congested roads.

Yes, put in a walkable, mixed-use development, but also think about the city's transportation needs as a whole.

I remember visiting relatives when I was a kid who lived in Montrose. I had a lot of fun running down the berm separating the community from the Yellowhead on a toboggan.

There's a lot of soil that's going to come out of the ground to make the new Blatchford community. Make a giant berm along the 109th right of way, with a shorter berm for slowing down at the bottom bordering a mixed use trail, and you'd have a great tobogganing, short down-hill skiing and/or, or downhill biking facility for next to know input costs, combined with a sound barrier to the 109th traffic. Put a fence at the top to keep people from tripping down the other side of the hill,or make the other side a flat retaining wall that extends enough above the height of the hill to prevent people from falling over.

You'd also create a great lookout over the whole new community. You'd lose some of the park on the east side, but I think it'd be a good compromise between the new community and helping the city's traffic flow.
    Last edited by Ustauk; 17-02-2017 at 11:40 AM.

I would like to see 118ave connected across. You would think that a TOD would be planned with rational, direct transit routes through the development
    As it is, it looks like they're planning for transit to be viable for work trips only.

The "stitch" opportunity that I would like to see taken is to make Kingsway flow directly into 121street at 118ave, and then into 127streets at the Yellowhead via an extended circle intersection where the new connection forms something like access roads along the Yellowhead.
    There can only be one.

^ That could work too.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

I believe I mentioned the 109 St extension and 118 Ave connection ideas at a Blatchford open house, but was told they fall against the ideals of the Blatchford development. Understandable that they don't want any more high volume commuter routes ramming through the middle of the thing.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

118ave wouldn't have to be a "high volume commuter road". It just needs to be continuous and straight enough to serve as a convenient bus route. 2 lanes or three lanes total put a 40km/HR limit and make all the other cars stop behind a stopping bus and it won't be used by shortcutters.

118ave through Alberta Ave is a pretty low-speed, low volume street and this part could be even narrower and slower, if they would design it right.
    There can only be one.

Don't worry, in 20 years they'll release a report suggesting massive and expensive upgrades will be needed to fix transportation backlogs that could have easily been included during initial construction if they had a little foresight.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Yes, and somewhere in the bowels of City Hall some evil swine is going to want to incorporate bike lanes on the Yellowhead. Or if not, whoops, sorry I mentioned it.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    I believe I mentioned the 109 St extension and 118 Ave connection ideas at a Blatchford open house, but was told they fall against the ideals of the Blatchford development. Understandable that they don't want any more high volume commuter routes ramming through the middle of the thing.
    Putting "the ideals" of the Blatchford development ahead of proper transportation planning is a mistake that this city will regret, especially when those ideals will never be met anyway due to budget constraints and market realities.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Yes, and somewhere in the bowels of City Hall some evil swine is going to want to incorporate bike lanes on the Yellowhead. Or if not, whoops, sorry I mentioned it.
    Bikes have no place on Freeways/Expressways.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    109 won't be extended through blatchford. You can forget that idea.
    Nope, too much common sense to extend 109 through Blatchford and close 107 and 121 Street access and repurpose those lands into the development.

^ Exactly. 106/107 St could be closed completely north of 118 Av and the land eventually used by NAIT instead of expanding to the west. The extended 109 St would be on the east edge of the Blatchford development and would become the main access to NAIT and the industrial area further north, while 121 St would become a quiet residential street.

Why is it again they have to wait four or five years to get started ?

C2E SME

Land acquisition, more than anything. I think the city will be starting east of the Yellowhead next year.

Can't just force businesses out tomorrow and/or close the access roads that feed them.

C2E Continued Contributor

proper planning too

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Can't unsee: Western Canadians find Trump's image in Yellowhead highway signs
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...112884?cmp=rss

South Beverly Heights in a small house with a large lot!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Can't unsee: Western Canadians find Trump's image in Yellowhead highway signs
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...112884?cmp=rss

Are some really THAT bored?????
    Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......

^If you'd actually read the article you'd know.
    I feel in no way entitled to your opinion...

This highway should have been done 25 years ago but...knowing the city it be another 100 years, 200 years for the muni

*knowing the province*

highways are a provincial responsibility. However the city has been slowly building up the yellowhead when it has money. It finally got funding from the province and feds and will be built out over the next few years.

Chumpking, do you even have a clue on how things work?

South Beverly Heights in a small house with a large lot!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    ^If you'd actually read the article you'd know.
    You know what I read and my interpretation of the article HOW? Because I haven't any use of the article does NOT negate me reading it hence my aforementioned opinion.I don't care of it as My world does NOT revolve around the clamorings of those with little to pay attention to.
    Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......

C2E Bandwidth Hog

I think this is the last name I post something fun and amusing on this board if some of you guys are gonna get your panties twisted over it.

So if it is supposed to be Trump then shouldn't it be named Orangehead Trail or Tête d'orange?

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415