Thread: City Continues Building Great Neighbourhoods in 2012

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default City Continues Building Great Neighbourhoods in 2012

City Continues Building Great Neighbourhoods in 2012

October 31, 2012

Reconstruction began in six neighbourhoods; work completed in Parkallen, West Jasper Place
    The City of Edmonton is wrapping up neighbourhood reconstruction in 2012 with two neighbourhoods rebuilt, seven under construction and various Drainage Renewal, Neighbourhood Renewal and Great Neighbourhoods projects completed.

The City will invest $201 million in 2012 to renew and replace neighbourhood infrastructure and to enhance community connections and overall neighbourhood livability in 74 neighbourhoods across Edmonton. This investment contributes to the City’s long-term Building Great Neighbourhoods initiative.

http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...s-in-2012.aspx
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

I'd rather C2E than work!

This program should also include installing boulevards on residential streets in neighborhoods that don't already have them.

This program continues to burn my *****. Oliver, Edmonton's most walkable mixed use neighbourhood outside of DT is completely being overlooked and isn't even on the list. Grrrrr
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    City Continues Building Great Neighbourhoods in 2012

October 31, 2012

Reconstruction began in six neighbourhoods; work completed in Parkallen, West Jasper Place
    The City of Edmonton is wrapping up neighbourhood reconstruction in 2012 with two neighbourhoods rebuilt, seven under construction and various Drainage Renewal, Neighbourhood Renewal and Great Neighbourhoods projects completed.

The City will invest $201 million in 2012 to renew and replace neighbourhood infrastructure and to enhance community connections and overall neighbourhood livability in 74 neighbourhoods across Edmonton. This investment contributes to the City’s long-term Building Great Neighbourhoods initiative.

http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...s-in-2012.aspx
    Great program. I am looking forward to the upcoming upgrades in the Alberta Ave and Cromdale neighborhoods over the next few years. Parkdale turned out fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    This program continues to burn my *****. Oliver, Edmonton's most walkable mixed use neighbourhood outside of DT is completely being overlooked and isn't even on the list. Grrrrr
    There's a lot of neighbourhoods that are worse. I don't know how they pick them, but I assume there's a lot of factors. Perhaps Oliver is due for some other major infrastructure that would cause a lot of new roads to be torn up if they did it now. As I understand it, there's some dated sewers in Oliver, correct? Perhaps the city wants to align sewer reconstruction with road reconstruction?
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

The reconstruction (sewers relaid, roads rebuilt from the base up, etc.) is a program that extends infrastructure life by thirty to forty years at a time. In other words, it is expected to happen once every thirty to forty years in any given neighborhood.

This is a neighborhood program that the city has recently ramped up, but actually it's been running since the late eighties, ever since the completion of the previous neighborhood-by-neighborhood "LAMP" project that modernized the ancient incandescent-lamp street lights.

Now, as to Oliver. The fact is that Oliver was practically the first neighborhood to have its streets reconstructed. This happened between 1988 and 1990. It will not be Oliver's turn again for another ten years, at least.
    Last edited by AShetsen; 31-10-2012 at 10:14 PM.

Partially Addicted to C2E

pretty sure Beverly is more walkable than Oliver in terms of what is available in a shorter distance and more places to go

^ "walkable" is such a subjective and vague term. By all definitions, my neighborhood is extremely "walkable" as well, by the criteria I'd use to judge it.

C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

^ ditto my neighborhood.

Eve

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Older Edmonton neighbourhoods overhauled
    ANGELIQUE RODRIGUES EDMONTON SUN

FIRST POSTED: WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 31, 2012

By the end of this year, the city will have spent a whopping $201 million overhauling 74 aging Edmonton neighbourhoods.

The investment is part of council's long-term Building Great Neighbourhoods initiative and as construction season wraps up for the year, officials are celebrating the completion of work in Parkallen and West Jasper Place.

"Some of the work we did included upgrading roads, sidewalks and curbs and adding sidewalk links that promote active transportation," said Adam Laughlin, director for the Neighbourhood Renewal program. "We worked to make sure that older, mature neighbourhoods remain great places to live, work and play."

The Building Great Neighbourhoods initiative brings together the city's Neighbourhood Renewal program, Drainage Neighbourhood Renewal and the Great Neighbourhoods Capital Program.

Of the more than $200 million the city invested this year, $153 million of that was spent on neighbourhood renewal, $32 million on drainage renewal and the Great Neighbourhoods program spent $16 million in 12 different neighbourhoods.

"We've seen some significant changes," said Laughlin.

Next on the repair list are: Canora, Dovercourt, King Edward Park, Terrace Heights, Windsor Park and Woodcroft.
    http://www.edmontonsun.com/2012/10/3...ods-overhauled

to second ash,
    I think that these programms are based on the area's immediate need for major infrastructure upgrade, sewer collapse, running the wrong direction sags breaks etc. If there is a major wrong to be fixed than the who;e works gets pulled up repaired and then the icing of curbs sidewalks and boulevards get added
    Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    There's a lot of neighbourhoods that are worse. I don't know how they pick them, but I assume there's a lot of factors. Perhaps Oliver is due for some other major infrastructure that would cause a lot of new roads to be torn up if they did it now. As I understand it, there's some dated sewers in Oliver, correct? Perhaps the city wants to align sewer reconstruction with road reconstruction?
    Our sewers are HORRID... old clay pipes with huge elms planted right on top of them... We also have the mixed sewer/storm water system.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Quote Originally Posted by Chaser View Post
    pretty sure Beverly is more walkable than Oliver in terms of what is available in a shorter distance and more places to go
    IMO you have to look at things like percentage of people who walk to work, which is high in Oliver and also very hard when your decrepit sidewalks don't drain correctly. I think you should also look at the cost of delivering this retrofit on a per capita basis. As Oliver ghas the highest density in Edmonton in a relatively small area the cost of this retrofit per capita should be some of the lowest... but places such as Glenora will get new lamp posts and sidewalks before us...

If the City wants to be real about density and promoting live/work/play in a compact fashion they need to reward the communities that achieve this. To me its walking the walk as opposed to talking the talk. DT wikll have the CRL to fund it's revitalization so some of us in Oliver are asking the city to explore a BRZ which will help the ball start rolling. the state of Jasper Ave is something the OCL has continually come up against. Be it lack of lights, walkability or attractiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by 240GLT View Post
    ^ "walkable" is such a subjective and vague term. By all definitions, my neighborhood is extremely "walkable" as well, by the criteria I'd use to judge it.
    it's becoming less and less subjective. Walk Score Helped and people are using its strengths and have identified some of it's weaknesses. Walkscore itself has evolved recognizing a lot of it's own deficiencies...

So in short walkability ias not as nearly as subjective as you think it is.

http://www.walkscore.com/

Get in line, EDP. Your neighborhood has been done.

The avenues are complete with nice benches, traffic-calming corners, and bike paths.

All the streets had their sewers fixed and bases relaid about twenty tears ago.

You have streets with decorative lighting, bronze statuary, fountains...

http://maps.google.ca/?ll=53.538868,...12,345.83,,0,0

http://maps.google.ca/?ll=53.543028,...22.29,,0,13.05

And you want more?

Other neighborhoods have real infrastructure problems. Ever seen a street in Garneau?

https://maps.google.ca/?ll=53.520994...74.49,,0,15.81

Yours is just a public-money addict freak.
    Last edited by AShetsen; 01-11-2012 at 02:10 PM.

C2E Posting Power

I have somewhat wondered what criteria the city uses to pick neighbourhoods. In all honesty, while the old sidewalks here in Parkallen were terrible, our roads were actually half decent compared to areas like Garneau. The new roads are still way better, but I honestly don't think we were the highest priority neighbourhood (not that I'm complaining). Just makes me wonder how the city decides.

I have to say, one of the best improvements has to simply be the new street lights. Although it may seem like a minor component, the sheer number more that were put in during reconstruction made me realize how cheesy few there were before. Also nice to know the new galvanized light standards aren't liable to fall over on my car during a wind storm

I think on my block we are lucky if 2 of the standards work....

Which standards did your community choose halcore?

C2E Posting Power

They just went with the plain galvanized, non-decorative ones. I gather the community league voted on it in some unadvertised meeting well over a year before the redevelopment started / was even widely known about. Can't say I was too impressed with that when I later found out. I personally would have been happy paying a little more for some spiffier ones. Or at least would have liked to have had my say in the matter. Still. We have lights that work and wont fall down anytime soon. I won't complain

It's crazy that neighbourhoods like Garneau and Strathcona aren't even on the list for repairs (http://www.edmonton.ca/transportatio...d-renewal.aspx) when they are higher density neighbourhoods with a lot of car, pedestrian, and especially bicycle traffic which is even more vulnerable with poor roads. What's up with that?

Yeah, I'm bummed Strathcona isn't on the list, but it may have to do with other projects in the area. They're tearing us my street next year so they can split the sewer lines, and they've been doing some other minor repairs in the neighborhood, but the streets are pretty bad.

Interesting that the Sun article says Windsor Park is next - they've been working there all summer.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?