Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 222829303132
Results 3,101 to 3,121 of 3121

Thread: New Royal Alberta Museum | Under Construction

I'd rather C2E than work!

"This building could cure insomnia."

The perfect palette for a few coats of acrylic stucco.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

^^ replacement, we get it. you don't like it, but your constant carping isn't going to change it.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Venting is cathartic, and underrated.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

^For you perhaps...

hmmm...looking at that it was not worth the $$$$ bother. In the case of RAM my guess it was never designed to support a green roof - so lets not worry about it. The City is adding more parks in central which is nicely greening the area and they can do more. Example: the shrubs, trees and flowers on Jasper Ave West today to demo the new Jasper Ave takes the human eye to the these elements and away from the harshness of concrete and asphalt.
    Last edited by EdmTrekker; 16-07-2017 at 08:25 AM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

This is the case in point I was going to cite. The grass on that roof is close to dead as is everybodies lawn again in this area. Its been so stifling hot and dry the last 5 weeks after a wet spring. But the grass hasn't survived this. Not even watering has any effect. In the SouthEast we've been parched and miss most of the serious storms that have occurred lately this summer.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E Posting Power

There are huge benefits to green roofs that don't just revolve around aesthetics. They've been known to cool surrounding areas significantly, scoop up rainwater which tends to push city drainage to its limits thus pushing pollution into storm runoffs, and they arguably give a new amenity that building and it's employees can capitalize on. There are different ways to employ these roofs and the engineering behind them isn't as large a project as people may believe. Almost any roof can be converted and the more important question is how do we build a roof that is tailored better to our climate? Which is an easily answered question for landscape architects.

But that's just my opinion. I personally believe roofspace is one of the largest squandered resources in Western culture. There's a building in New York with a footprint of six city blocks and having built the roof has saved them three million dollars annually on cooling and maintenance costs. Ergo, it can also be capitalized on.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevey_G View Post
    There are huge benefits to green roofs that don't just revolve around aesthetics. They've been known to cool surrounding areas significantly, scoop up rainwater which tends to push city drainage to its limits thus pushing pollution into storm runoffs, and they arguably give a new amenity that building and it's employees can capitalize on. There are different ways to employ these roofs and the engineering behind them isn't as large a project as people may believe. Almost any roof can be converted and the more important question is how do we build a roof that is tailored better to our climate? Which is an easily answered question for landscape architects.

But that's just my opinion. I personally believe roofspace is one of the largest squandered resources in Western culture. There's a building in New York with a footprint of six city blocks and having built the roof has saved them three million dollars annually on cooling and maintenance costs. Ergo, it can also be capitalized on.
    I was always fascinated with underground homes but sealing the roof always seemed like an impossible task according to the many articles I read. Wouldn't green roofs be similar?

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post

I was always fascinated with underground homes but sealing the roof always seemed like an impossible task according to the many articles I read. Wouldn't green roofs be similar?
    Not to mention more ongoing operating costs. Had it been a requirement in the DB RFP Competition, designs proposed would have been different - possibly for the better as there would have been a "green" visible impact to be considered.

C2E Long Term Contributor

This certainly was a great opportunity for a large-scale green roof, but let's not dwell on it.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Resurrected this thread with a link to a CoE page on green roofs in town: http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/showt...of-in-Edmonton

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post

Isn't it more due to radon gas that underground homes are not more of a thing here? It would otherwise seem like a good idea. Albeit less direct ventilation, and need for skylights which are notorious for leaks. Also a potential problem of access/egress in an emergency. Imagine not being able to get out if there was some type of disaster or fire. Plus that more people get claustrophobic in some settings. I know people that don't even like going in basement rec rooms and such.
    Last edited by Replacement; 16-07-2017 at 03:30 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I like the green roof concept at the Convention Center in Vancouver because you can walk up to it, see it, and that theres that type of interaction with it. With most of these its sight unseen unless one happens to be the one percenters living in a nearby highrise.

Green roofs perhaps make more sense in more built up urban environments where greenery can even be rare.

As stated this is a harsh climate on grass, and grass is essentially a poor choice here to begin with. The climate is changing here. We're gradually getting more intense heat, less precipitation and so that any landscape that needs considerable care and ideal conditions really suffers here.

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    I like the green roof concept at the Convention Center in Vancouver because you can walk up to it, see it, and that theres that type of interaction with it. With most of these its sight unseen unless one happens to be the one percenters living in a nearby highrise.

Green roofs perhaps make more sense in more built up urban environments where greenery can even be rare.

As stated this is a harsh climate on grass, and grass is essentially a poor choice here to begin with. The climate is changing here. We're gradually getting more intense heat, less precipitation and so that any landscape that needs considerable care and ideal conditions really suffers here.
    Replacement I say this respectfully but you're not well-educated on this if those are your views. A green roof can be designed for cold climates as well. It depends on the kinds of vegetation you choose to use and things like thickness of soil base. They have been found to have significant economical benefits on units that have utilized them and even can be designed in ways to help keep a building warm during a frigid cold winter - of which 6 of our months can be considered.

I strongly urge you to keep on open mind and be scientific about your approach rather than formulate opinion on assumption. I can name a dozen benefits of green roofs right here when it comes to environment, economy, infrastructure relief, livability, and urban climate. Most roofs have the capacity to be converted as well so it's not like this is a lost cause.

However; implementation is also important. There's far more effective types of vegetation to use than simply grass in Edmonton.

Let me know if you want links; you'll find hundreds of sourced and scholarly articles online if you search though.
    There was no need to change that plaque. We are the City of Champions.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Replacement I say this respectfully but you're not well-educated on this if those are your views. A green roof can be designed for cold climates as well. It depends on the kinds of vegetation you choose to use and things like thickness of soil base. They have been found to have significant economical benefits on units that have utilized them and even can be designed in ways to help keep a building warm during a frigid cold winter - of which 6 of our months can be considered.

I strongly urge you to keep on open mind and be scientific about your approach rather than formulate opinion on assumption. I can name a dozen benefits of green roofs right here when it comes to environment, economy, infrastructure relief, livability, and urban climate. Most roofs have the capacity to be converted as well so it's not like this is a lost cause.

However; implementation is also important. There's far more effective types of vegetation to use than simply grass in Edmonton.

Let me know if you want links; you'll find hundreds of sourced and scholarly articles online if you search though.
    Fair enough. i'd be open to some links on what can be used as ground cover instead of lawn. I can't stand the fragility of current grass seed strains.

heh, just noted something, clover is a grass substitute. I already have some growing on my lawn, maybe I can seed it haha.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/5things/no-mow...ives-1.2422899
    Last edited by Replacement; 16-07-2017 at 07:28 PM.

C2E Posting Power

Fair enough. i'd be open to some links on what can be used as ground cover instead of lawn. I can't stand the fragility of current grass seed strains.

heh, just noted something, clover is a grass substitute. I already have some growing on my lawn, maybe I can seed it haha.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/5things/no-mow...ives-1.2422899
    You got it man. I'll dig up some info tomorrow once I get some free time. I'm just prepping to go film the Northern Lights we are forecasting for tonight. I'll PM you some interesting stuff.

Another opportunity here is a solar array. I know most people shirk off "what a roof looks like" to me it's the loss of usable space that bothers me.

Fortunately it's not too late for such options - either or.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Quote Originally Posted by lat View Post
    Resurrected this thread with a link to a CoE page on green roofs in town: http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/showt...of-in-Edmonton
    Hasn't stopped the derail
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lat View Post
    Hasn't stopped the derail
    Wasn't holding my breath...

C2E Posting Power

You think getting threads back on track is your ally? I was born in the derailments - molded by them.
    Last edited by Stevey_G; 16-07-2017 at 11:08 PM.

You think getting threads back on track is your ally? I was born in the derailments - molded by them.
    You merely adopted the derailments...

Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 222829303132