Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 222829303132
Results 3,101 to 3,170 of 3170

Thread: New Royal Alberta Museum | Under Construction

I'd rather C2E than work!

"This building could cure insomnia."

The perfect palette for a few coats of acrylic stucco.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

^^ replacement, we get it. you don't like it, but your constant carping isn't going to change it.

Venting is cathartic, and underrated.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

^For you perhaps...

They have a green roof on The Meadows Rec Center, it is very brown right now. I hope the grass lives.

The Google streetview image shows the grass in a more green state
    https://www.google.ca/maps/@53.45696...7i13312!8i6656

hmmm...looking at that it was not worth the $$$$ bother. In the case of RAM my guess it was never designed to support a green roof - so lets not worry about it. The City is adding more parks in central which is nicely greening the area and they can do more. Example: the shrubs, trees and flowers on Jasper Ave West today to demo the new Jasper Ave takes the human eye to the these elements and away from the harshness of concrete and asphalt.
    Last edited by EdmTrekker; 16-07-2017 at 09:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    They have a green roof on The Meadows Rec Center, it is very brown right now. I hope the grass lives.

The Google streetview image shows the grass in a more green state
    https://www.google.ca/maps/@53.45696...7i13312!8i6656
    This is the case in point I was going to cite. The grass on that roof is close to dead as is everybodies lawn again in this area. Its been so stifling hot and dry the last 5 weeks after a wet spring. But the grass hasn't survived this. Not even watering has any effect. In the SouthEast we've been parched and miss most of the serious storms that have occurred lately this summer.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E Continued Contributor

There are huge benefits to green roofs that don't just revolve around aesthetics. They've been known to cool surrounding areas significantly, scoop up rainwater which tends to push city drainage to its limits thus pushing pollution into storm runoffs, and they arguably give a new amenity that building and it's employees can capitalize on. There are different ways to employ these roofs and the engineering behind them isn't as large a project as people may believe. Almost any roof can be converted and the more important question is how do we build a roof that is tailored better to our climate? Which is an easily answered question for landscape architects.

But that's just my opinion. I personally believe roofspace is one of the largest squandered resources in Western culture. There's a building in New York with a footprint of six city blocks and having built the roof has saved them three million dollars annually on cooling and maintenance costs. Ergo, it can also be capitalized on.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevey_G View Post
    There are huge benefits to green roofs that don't just revolve around aesthetics. They've been known to cool surrounding areas significantly, scoop up rainwater which tends to push city drainage to its limits thus pushing pollution into storm runoffs, and they arguably give a new amenity that building and it's employees can capitalize on. There are different ways to employ these roofs and the engineering behind them isn't as large a project as people may believe. Almost any roof can be converted and the more important question is how do we build a roof that is tailored better to our climate? Which is an easily answered question for landscape architects.

But that's just my opinion. I personally believe roofspace is one of the largest squandered resources in Western culture. There's a building in New York with a footprint of six city blocks and having built the roof has saved them three million dollars annually on cooling and maintenance costs. Ergo, it can also be capitalized on.
    I was always fascinated with underground homes but sealing the roof always seemed like an impossible task according to the many articles I read. Wouldn't green roofs be similar?

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post

I was always fascinated with underground homes but sealing the roof always seemed like an impossible task according to the many articles I read. Wouldn't green roofs be similar?
    Not to mention more ongoing operating costs. Had it been a requirement in the DB RFP Competition, designs proposed would have been different - possibly for the better as there would have been a "green" visible impact to be considered.

C2E Long Term Contributor

This certainly was a great opportunity for a large-scale green roof, but let's not dwell on it.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Resurrected this thread with a link to a CoE page on green roofs in town: http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/showt...of-in-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post

Isn't it more due to radon gas that underground homes are not more of a thing here? It would otherwise seem like a good idea. Albeit less direct ventilation, and need for skylights which are notorious for leaks. Also a potential problem of access/egress in an emergency. Imagine not being able to get out if there was some type of disaster or fire. Plus that more people get claustrophobic in some settings. I know people that don't even like going in basement rec rooms and such.
    Last edited by Replacement; 16-07-2017 at 04:30 PM.

I like the green roof concept at the Convention Center in Vancouver because you can walk up to it, see it, and that theres that type of interaction with it. With most of these its sight unseen unless one happens to be the one percenters living in a nearby highrise.

Green roofs perhaps make more sense in more built up urban environments where greenery can even be rare.

As stated this is a harsh climate on grass, and grass is essentially a poor choice here to begin with. The climate is changing here. We're gradually getting more intense heat, less precipitation and so that any landscape that needs considerable care and ideal conditions really suffers here.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    I like the green roof concept at the Convention Center in Vancouver because you can walk up to it, see it, and that theres that type of interaction with it. With most of these its sight unseen unless one happens to be the one percenters living in a nearby highrise.

Green roofs perhaps make more sense in more built up urban environments where greenery can even be rare.

As stated this is a harsh climate on grass, and grass is essentially a poor choice here to begin with. The climate is changing here. We're gradually getting more intense heat, less precipitation and so that any landscape that needs considerable care and ideal conditions really suffers here.
    Replacement I say this respectfully but you're not well-educated on this if those are your views. A green roof can be designed for cold climates as well. It depends on the kinds of vegetation you choose to use and things like thickness of soil base. They have been found to have significant economical benefits on units that have utilized them and even can be designed in ways to help keep a building warm during a frigid cold winter - of which 6 of our months can be considered.

I strongly urge you to keep on open mind and be scientific about your approach rather than formulate opinion on assumption. I can name a dozen benefits of green roofs right here when it comes to environment, economy, infrastructure relief, livability, and urban climate. Most roofs have the capacity to be converted as well so it's not like this is a lost cause.

However; implementation is also important. There's far more effective types of vegetation to use than simply grass in Edmonton.

Let me know if you want links; you'll find hundreds of sourced and scholarly articles online if you search though.
    There was no need to change that plaque. We are the City of Champions.

Replacement I say this respectfully but you're not well-educated on this if those are your views. A green roof can be designed for cold climates as well. It depends on the kinds of vegetation you choose to use and things like thickness of soil base. They have been found to have significant economical benefits on units that have utilized them and even can be designed in ways to help keep a building warm during a frigid cold winter - of which 6 of our months can be considered.

I strongly urge you to keep on open mind and be scientific about your approach rather than formulate opinion on assumption. I can name a dozen benefits of green roofs right here when it comes to environment, economy, infrastructure relief, livability, and urban climate. Most roofs have the capacity to be converted as well so it's not like this is a lost cause.

However; implementation is also important. There's far more effective types of vegetation to use than simply grass in Edmonton.

Let me know if you want links; you'll find hundreds of sourced and scholarly articles online if you search though.
    Fair enough. i'd be open to some links on what can be used as ground cover instead of lawn. I can't stand the fragility of current grass seed strains.

heh, just noted something, clover is a grass substitute. I already have some growing on my lawn, maybe I can seed it haha.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/5things/no-mow...ives-1.2422899
    Last edited by Replacement; 16-07-2017 at 08:28 PM.

Fair enough. i'd be open to some links on what can be used as ground cover instead of lawn. I can't stand the fragility of current grass seed strains.

heh, just noted something, clover is a grass substitute. I already have some growing on my lawn, maybe I can seed it haha.

You got it man. I'll dig up some info tomorrow once I get some free time. I'm just prepping to go film the Northern Lights we are forecasting for tonight. I'll PM you some interesting stuff.

Another opportunity here is a solar array. I know most people shirk off "what a roof looks like" to me it's the loss of usable space that bothers me.

Fortunately it's not too late for such options - either or.

Quote Originally Posted by lat View Post
    Resurrected this thread with a link to a CoE page on green roofs in town: http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/showt...of-in-Edmonton
    Hasn't stopped the derail
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lat View Post
    Hasn't stopped the derail
    Wasn't holding my breath...

You think getting threads back on track is your ally? I was born in the derailments - molded by them.
    Last edited by Stevey_G; 17-07-2017 at 12:08 AM.

You think getting threads back on track is your ally? I was born in the derailments - molded by them.
    You merely adopted the derailments...

www.decl.org

First One is Always Free

Is this Replacement from HFBoards?. If so, this place has gotten way more interesting.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    I can't wait for special exhibitions to be announced on a regular basis. Having a centrally located museum of this size and stature is a big deal.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

@cpnfantstik

Yes, and Yes. Never stopped being interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by norwoodguy View Post
    I can't wait for special exhibitions to be announced on a regular basis. Having a centrally located museum of this size and stature is a big deal.
    A HUGE deal. Real, big city deal.

Another few hundred/thousand people a day Downtown.
    www.decl.org

First One is Always Free

@cpnfantstik

Yes, and Yes. Never stopped being interesting.
    👍👍👍

HUGE??? A "Thousand"? What, streaming from their school
    Buses into the restaurants on RHW or 104th? What has changed from the Glenora location that makes it HUGE or big??

Capacity, location, exhibits.

Previous location had something like 30,000 for students per yr, the new one has 100,000+.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    A HUGE deal. Real, big city deal. Another few hundred/thousand people a day Downtown.
    HUGE??? A "Thousand"? What, streaming from their schoolBuses into the restaurants on RHW or 104th? What has changed from the Glenora location that makes it HUGE or big??
    The kids are all going to shop in the mall downtown at all the sto... wait, never mind. There are no clothing stores in that mall that would attract families and children.

Kids won't be allowed to stray too far from the pack anyway.
    I feel in no way entitled to your opinion...

^^ And the schoolkids had so much more to see and do at the old location?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Point being, that the new museum will bring tens of thousands of people Downtown each year and many will visit it more often, at lunch, after work. HUGE.
    www.decl.org

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

When might we hear more on special exhibits? It's getting to be time to announce this kind of thing isn't it?

Buses into the restaurants on RHW or 104th? What has changed from the Glenora location that makes it HUGE or big??
    While I'm a big fan the design (in fairness, I haven't been inside yet), I think it is a huge deal for the city. To make a vibrant downtown you need interesting things to do. You also need employment nodes. This ticks both those boxes, the Glenora location didn't make a ton of sense - the workers and the visitors were basically isolated to the one location, with no access to shopping and other attractions. Sure it was nice living in Glenora to be able to wander down with the kids, but one residential neighborhood is not enough to sustain an attraction like this.

In an ideal world TELUS science world would move downtown too - but its probably built up too much now for that to be practical, at least not, for another 30 years or so. Maybe when oil hits $100 again...
    Last edited by moahunter; 04-08-2017 at 08:48 AM.

Not everything needs to be downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post

While I'm a big fan the design (in fairness, I haven't been inside yet), I think it is a huge deal for the city. To make a vibrant downtown you need interesting things to do. You also need employment nodes. This ticks both those boxes, the Glenora location didn't make a ton of sense - the workers and the visitors were basically isolated to the one location, with no access to shopping and other attractions. Sure it was nice living in Glenora to be able to wander down with the kids, but one residential neighborhood is not enough to sustain an attraction like this.

In an ideal world TELUS science world would move downtown too - but its probably built up too much now for that to be practical, at least not, for another 30 years or so. Maybe when oil hits $100 again...
    Regarding locating provincial buildings, that's long been an issue of mine. I suspect cost control trumped a large opportunity to create synergy and sustenance for small town Alberta. The very same issues our downtown faced - with its lack of an arena, etc. - but far more critical to a small centre struggling to survive and grow.

I don't think it was primarily the case for the old Provincial museum, but for many other provincial buildings around the province I suspect the requirement to keep taxpayers costs low led them to put provincial buildings, and thus large numbers of employees, visitors, etc, in "out of the way" places far from many small towns' main streets.

So it was a huge opportunity lost small town Alberta. It was the loss of a building to grow their main streets and maybe even provide them with an architectural landmark, and it was the loss of daily sustenance for the main street businesses. Provincial employees working in some fringe area bring bagged lunches rather than hitting main street for lunch, coffee, and other purchases. The taxpayers save money but the towns never get that synergy.
    Last edited by KC; 04-08-2017 at 09:17 AM.

Yeah, there was a candy store across the bridge in the 124th Street area and some other stores. More green space near the old location too.

While this will bring more people downtown, I don't really think there is currently much downtown that will attract folks away from the museum. My friends always would hit the museum and TWOS while they were at it. Could do a BBQ next to TWOS after. Here, it is hard for kids to play in the parking lots next door or wander around too much - "Sorry man, your kid got hit by a bus" or "Sorry, your kid found a needle and poked themselves". Churchill isn't bad for the really young kids. I suppose there is the movie theater?

For the adult crowd, the museum will definitely do wonders though. I love how when someone points out a deficiency of something downtown, you all try to defend it like you're going to lose sleep over it. It is OKAY to think critically. Ya'll should try it sometime.

^Perhaps, but the difference is that people staying downtown (whether it be an oilers game, a business trip or a family visit), have something else /e xtra to walk to / check out now. The odds of them taking a bus to the glenora location was about 0.

But even a DECL bigwig has admitted that trying to keep Downtown hopping after 6pm is a fool's errand & completely unreasonable, citing the example of the CBD of London.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

^Perhaps, but the difference is that people staying downtown (whether it be an oilers game, a business trip or a family visit), have something else /e xtra to walk to / check out now. The odds of them taking a bus to the glenora location was about 0.
    Free parking 1, Downtown 0.

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by Moodib View Post
    There is no such thing as free parking.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Soderstrom View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Moodib View Post
    There is no such thing as free parking.
    Next you're going to tell me that life is finite.

Good question. Predictably IanO responds to the question with the circular reasoning of "Its huge, all these busses and kids DT because its HUGE!" Without any answer to your actual question. Such is life here on the board it seems.

This ticks both those boxes, the Glenora location didn't make a ton of sense - the workers and the visitors were basically isolated to the one location, with no access to shopping and other attractions.
    A bit of an overstatement. When I worked at the Museum and wanted to eat out at lunch, my coworkers and I would go to places like OJ's, the Manor, Urban Diner, or other places in High Street. It was a short walk away. There will be more options DT, for sure, but we weren't confined to our sadsack bagged lunches.
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

hmmm, actually yeah. The schoolkids could attend that location for free, no cost, (for decades it was no cost until Klein style politics) Next, it was in a very attractive area that was uplifting to see. Personally coming there from the rat traps of Jasper Place was a pleasure. It educated me not only on what was contained in the museum but that another way of life, sans bars on every other street, exists.

Next Govt Hill. At the time the favorite toboggan hill in all of Edmonton. Countless memories of dragging sleds down Mackinnon ravine to get to the hill. For those interested in learning more the archives was also part of the museum at the old site. As mentioned there was free parking which did more to entice mom and dad to take the kids out to the free museum. The free activity being welcome at the time for all families that went. or kids that went on their own to brush up on interests or to go to the free movies on a Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    This ticks both those boxes, the Glenora location didn't make a ton of sense - the workers and the visitors were basically isolated to the one location, with no access to shopping and other attractions.
    A bit of an overstatement. When I worked at the Museum and wanted to eat out at lunch, my coworkers and I would go to places like OJ's, the Manor, Urban Diner, or other places in High Street. It was a short walk away. There will be more options DT, for sure, but we weren't confined to our sadsack bagged lunches.
    Indeed Highstreet has some of the most attractive dining locations and ambience in all of Edmonton. Especially if one likes a surround of mature trees and the little sheltered cove that it is.

Good question. Predictably IanO responds to the question with the circular reasoning of "Its huge, all these busses and kids DT because its HUGE!" Without any answer to your actual question. Such is life here on the board it seems.
    Avg. 275,000 visitors a yr since 1967

That is absolutely HUGE for our Downtown, let alone that we should expect an increase in these numbers.

Yet another key piece to the puzzle for our Downtown and it will trickle down to retail, restaurant, bar, hotel etc. etc.
    www.decl.org

^The downside, is that people have to pay to get in, pay for parking and which will REDUCE the visits by lower or mid income families. Which is unfortunate because, jmo, Museums should be an open place of learning for all and with a no fare, or pay what you can admittance.

As far as your point though its not huge for Edmonton, its simply visits moved from one place, to another, at considerable cost, and an ugly building, so a lot of effort spent to build something only a mother of an architect would love..;

Given that there's ~55,000 people commuting Downtown daily as is, an increase of 1350 people (350,000 weekday visitors/260 working days a year) wouldn't even be noticed outside of statistics.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

^The downside, is that people have to pay to get in, pay for parking and which will REDUCE the visits by lower or mid income families.
    How much is an LRT/bus ticket to downtown from anywhere in the city? The idea that is more expensive or challenging that driving a vehicle from Millwoods or Castledown to glenora is pretty naïve.

Oh my you two.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Given that there's ~55,000 people commuting Downtown daily as is, an increase of 1350 people (350,000 weekday visitors/260 working days a year) wouldn't even be noticed outside of statistics.
    Maybe not in isolation but it is a piece of something bigger. Need to start somewhere and it brings people to an area that needs it. The hope is for a snowball effect, as more people come downtown even more exciting destinations become available and more residents/visitors see the area as a place they need/want to be.

^The downside, is that people have to pay to get in, pay for parking and which will REDUCE the visits by lower or mid income families.
    How much is an LRT/bus ticket to downtown from anywhere in the city? The idea that is more expensive that driving a vehicle from Millwoods or Castledown to glenora is pretty naïve.
    Given that the LRT is arriving in Millwoods in 2020, around 50years after a line was promised, I can't really comment on how swell it would be to go there via LRT.

Oh my you two.
    Such a cogent, coherent & fact-based rebuttal to my entirely valid points.

Are you gonna tell me that not swallowing your bombastic rhetoric isn't very "classy" now?

Even moreso because the bussed school field trips are get in, get out, don't lose anybody operatives. With wander being strictly prohibited. Not like their all going to be touring the grand DT. As such it doesn't really matter where these things are located. ROM in Toronto is NOT DT, their Zoo is not even in the city, CasaLoma not DT etc. Most cities have lots of attractions not in the DT. Not like all attractions have to be DT as another poster mentioned and these are largely one off type visits. Go there, go home.
    Last edited by Replacement; 04-08-2017 at 12:00 PM.

Maybe you simply are not aware for many that visit the Citadel, City Hall, AGA or Winspear, but they tend to visit multiple venues and enjoy Churchill Sq.

Exposure to the Downtown, enjoyment of it and having them want to come back and explore more with their parents is nothing by positive.

But hey, keep on your attempts to be negative and disruptive!
    www.decl.org

Maybe you simply are not aware for many that visit the Citadel, City Hall, AGA or Winspear, but they tend to visit multiple venues and enjoy Churchill Sq.

Exposure to the Downtown, enjoyment of it and having them want to come back and explore more with their parents is nothing by positive.

But hey, keep on your attempts to be negative and disruptive!
    I'm a Citadel Season ticket holder for 6yrs in a row now. Your falsehood notwithstanding virtually every production I go to theres race to the carpark to see who can get out first and get out of dodge. Don't take my word for it, the exodus after a play is hitting the parkade immediately after. Some go to Normands before and after, a very few venture outside the Citadel Theater. Your invoking a grand stroll along the Seine that really doesn't occur here to any great degree. As many of these one offs as are built DT its still not a people, street level friendly place to visit. DT Edmonton lacks the vibrant streets that cause people to want to flock to a real party DT. It flirts with that, occasionally, if enough events are simultaneously going on, but it isn't that on its own.

To be clear as well the Arts District is in place. The difference in walking traffic hardly noticeable. Plus with the main DT Library once again being closed for renos (how often does this happen?) theres even less arts strolls going on. A real arts district would have no shortage of independent street front businesses selling arts/crafts in the area, open late at night, soirees etc. Without a street front livelihood all the Arts district builds are pretty much exclusive one offs. Theres no unifying arts vibe in the area. Well, maybe only when The Works is on.

DT could really the kind of local vibe created by La Cite Francophone, a building design that was specifically people built, a design that offers inside and outside shelter, is a natural gathering place, and an informed design that attracts people to it. it invokes a manmade little valley sheltered by peaks(figuratively) and all gathering the radiance of the sun. Churchill Square should have been more that type of place. A place built for Edmonton. A wish for more spaces like that.
    Last edited by Replacement; 04-08-2017 at 12:20 PM.

Hilarious that I try and have an honest discussion including actual numbers only to be told I'm "negative and disruptive" because I'm cognizant that even if the new RAM doubles the draw of the previous location that the overall effect & visible impact on Downtown as a whole will be minimal at best & non-existent at worst.

Evidently it's not about the kids that'll be bussed in & out (of literally the worst corner of Downtown), it's about them bringing their parents back Downtown now, which is a completely immeasurable & hypothetical metric to use.

Hilarious. Keep up the spin, shilling DBAG.

I will let the RAM and its impact on the Downtown speak for itself.
    www.decl.org

Even moreso because the bussed school field trips are get in, get out, don't lose anybody operatives. With wander being strictly prohibited. Not like their all going to be touring the grand DT. As such it doesn't really matter where these things are located. ROM in Toronto is NOT DT, their Zoo is not even in the city, CasaLoma not DT etc. Most cities have lots of attractions not in the DT. Not like all attractions have to be DT as another poster mentioned and these are largely one off type visits. Go there, go home.
    Agree for the most part the field trips are get in get out although i do remember a class trip to the citadel we originated at the mall to have lunch although this was a junior high trip.

Also agree not every attraction needs to be downtown, we also have many that aren't (Fort Ed, WEM, Telus World of Science) but it's nice to have downtown as a place people see as a home base. When i think of Toronto i would like to be in downtown area when possible to attend a Jays game or visit the Hockey hall of fame. Certainly will have ventured outside of downtown for things like a day trip to Niagara or Canada's wonderland of course. I guess I just would like to see downtown and it's offerings universally known as the main attraction with other opportunities in the region to complement that.

Sorry i know this is getting off track to the threads purpose a bit.
    Last edited by Base; 04-08-2017 at 12:32 PM.

I will let the RAM and its impact on the Downtown speak for itself.
    So you've got no real rebuttal & you'll keep your bombastic rhetoric & unfounded claims to yourself? Fantastic.

I'll chalk this up in the "win" column

Is the build cam still up?
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Is this finished? I heard an ad on the radio for a concert to be held at the royal alberta museum auditorium, but it wasn't clear whether it was the old one or the new one.
    edit: apparently it's the old venue still.

Correct. 'Early 2018'...
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

I am really excited to see the interior and all the new exhibits. This will just continue the trend of bringing more and more activity to the core.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Want to learn more about what you can expect? Join us at our fall luncheon.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/2017-dow...ff=es2#tickets
    www.decl.org

www.decl.org

Looks a little nicer with some greenery and shrubbery. Now if those trees could get really big and block the exterior look of this building..hopefully they water lots during the dry periods. This currently being a rare wet time.

Photos look great, love the exterior.

Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 222829303132