Thread: NAIT, UofA or Grant MacEwan?

Default NAIT, UofA or Grant MacEwan?

Hello guys,

I'm an international student from Vietnam. I'm studying in Singapore currently and now I'm thinking about studying in Canada. I have a relative been living in Edmonton for 10 yrs plus, so I'm hesitating to choose between NAIT, UofA and Grant MacEwan.

Both considering the fees and the quality of education, can you local guys help me make decision? I want to study business management, Bachelor's degree.

Thanks

*updated*: Thank you guys for such useful advices. So if I get it right, I should choose macewan for the first 2 years and then transfer to U of A right?

Oh, and 1 more thing. About the generality of "Business management". Is that wise to choose that major nowadays? Sometimes I'm also afraid that due to the fact that there is nothing specialized in the major, I'll have difficulties in finding a job right after graduation. Should I follow it? And if not, which subject should I choose to study in MacEwan?

Thanks again.
    Last edited by kiaconchim; 18-09-2012 at 07:34 PM.

All are good schools, but I would recommend Macewan, with a transfer to UofA. You'll get your degree but way less tuition for the first two years.

NAIT tends to be a bit more hands on and is a great school, but all their degrees are Applied Degrees, which don't carry the same weight as Bachelor Degrees. However, tuition at NAIT is more affordable.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

I'd rather C2E than work!

'Business management' is an extremely broad area so I would agree with Chmilz suggestion.

Go to Macewan, get a sense of what you're really interested in, and if it makes sense to transfer to the School of Business at UofA, go for it!
    LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

NAIT offers three applied degrees:
    Bachelor of Applied Business Administration - Accounting
    Bachelor of Applied Business Administration – Finance
    Bachelor of Applied Information Systems Technology

As well as two 'regular' degrees:

Bachelor of Business Administration
    Bachelor of Technology in Technology Management

Depending on a student's goals and career path, an applied degree can be a tremendous asset given the value employers workplace experience when making hiring decisions.

To learn more, please email [email protected].

Good luck!

Frank Landry
    NAIT Marketing and Communications

C2E Continued Contributor

MacEwan University is and excellent undergraduate university. U of A is a great research and graduate institution.
    $2.00 $2.25 $2.50 $2.75 $2.85 $3.00 $3.20 $3.25

C2E Hard Core Contributor

U of A is the most prestigious school in Alberta.

Thank you guys for such useful advices. So if I get it right, I should choose macewan for the first 2 years and then transfer to U of A right?

Oh, and 1 more thing. About the generality of "Business management". Is that wise to choose that major nowadays? Sometimes I'm also afraid that due to the fact that there is nothing specialized in the major, I'll have difficulties in finding a job right after graduation. Should I follow it? And if not, which subject should I choose to study in MacEwan?

Thanks again.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AAAAE View Post
    And yet a horrible undergraduate school experience...

...horrible?
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

I doubt that. I've taken courses at all three above schools and graduated from two. I think all are equally prestigious but from different perspectives.

Interestingly, I was granted exemption for a full year of law at NAIT for one of my single term law courses at the UofA, however at NAIT they used the very same textbook and covered twice the material. Mu NAIT classmates were better educated for the same credits. Otherwise I saw NAIT and the UofA as very similar.

There may be some differences between teaching theory vs practice but I always found learning theory to be much easier and simplified than learning hands on skills. Assess your aptitudes before choosing a path.

grish

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    I doubt that. I've taken courses at all three above schools and graduated from two. I think all are equally prestigious but from different perspectives.

Interestingly, I was granted exemption for a full year of law at NAIT for one of my single term law courses at the UofA, however at NAIT they used the very same textbook and covered twice the material. Mu NAIT classmates were better educated for the same credits. Otherwise I saw NAIT and the UofA as very similar.

There may be some differences between teaching theory vs practice but I always found learning theory to be much easier and simplified than learning hands on skills. Assess your aptitudes before choosing a path.
    this may be so, but the UofA will get the type of name recognition around the world that no other post secondary from Alberta would. Therefore, most prestigious.

Quote Originally Posted by Dialog View Post
    ...horrible?
    Undergrad students are treated like second class citizens compared to grad students and researchers.

C2E Continued Contributor

^Couldn't agree more.
    $2.00 $2.25 $2.50 $2.75 $2.85 $3.00 $3.20 $3.25

C2E Long Term Contributor

You can say the same for just about any large and prestigious university because they tend to focus more on research and graduates.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    You can say the same for just about any large and prestigious university because they tend to focus more on research and graduates.
    Yep, and the quality of education reflects that.

thank you all guys. I applied to Grant MacEwan finally. Hope to be in Canada studying soon

Quote Originally Posted by grish View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post

this may be so, but the UofA will get the type of name recognition around the world that no other post secondary from Alberta would. Therefore, most prestigious.
    That's from without not within.

Yeah, it's like a masters beats a bachelors and a PhD beats a masters.

[QUOTE=KC;468156][QUOTE=grish;467937][QUOTE=KC;467935

Yeah, it's like a masters beats a bachelors and a PhD beats a masters.[/QUOTE]

So that make the PhD a Master Beater I guess

Anyway, when I was in a position to hire staff, I usually went with the NAIT grad because the technical nature of the business lent itself to the more practical experience NAIT provided. I did hire young Engineering students to give them some field experience though.

Hello everyone! I'm new here and joined to get your feedback on a similar situation that I have. I am a 22 year old young individual who is extremely excited to start my education in business, specifically marketing.

What school would offer the best education for that and for a future in the marketing industry? It is hard because the business diploma at NAIT is 2 years and the Bachelor of business at U of A or GMAC is 4, so I would have that extra two years to get experience. . One other thing is I will be 25 by the time I graduate NAIT or 27 if I graduate from U of A, so I kind of want to make the right choices from here on out.
    My goal is to own my own marketing firm or be a Director of Marketing at a prestigious company.

Advice is much appreciated!!!

C2E SME

Well so far I can say that all three schools are good for their own reasons. I've gone to Nait and MacEwan and am currently at UofA and all my experiences so far have been good.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by dachampagne View Post
    Hello everyone! I'm new here and joined to get your feedback on a similar situation that I have. I am a 22 year old young individual who is extremely excited to start my education in business, specifically marketing.

What school would offer the best education for that and for a future in the marketing industry? It is hard because the business diploma at NAIT is 2 years and the Bachelor of business at U of A or GMAC is 4, so I would have that extra two years to get experience. . One other thing is I will be 25 by the time I graduate NAIT or 27 if I graduate from U of A, so I kind of want to make the right choices from here on out.
    My goal is to own my own marketing firm or be a Director of Marketing at a prestigious company.

Advice is much appreciated!!!

I don't know enough about the differences between the programs to point you in one direction or another. However, I'm a U of A alum and I loved my experience there.

I will say, if you're serious about marketing, you should try to get some experience working in a non-profit at some point. They'll work you half to death, but you will get a lot of relevant experience and learn to think on your feet with limited resources. That kind of thing goes over really well on a resume.

First One is Always Free

First, you go to U of A to get a degree, so you are eligible to apply for a job.

Then, you go to NAIT to get dilompa, so you know how to do your job.

It's very foolish to think of a university as career preparation. It is not job training of any kind, nor should it be.

As for all the specialized schools -- the engineering, law, medicine, education and business faculties -- actually they have no business being in a university, and should be made standalone.

grish

Quote Originally Posted by schai View Post
    First, you go to U of A to get a degree, so you are eligible to apply for a job.

Then, you go to NAIT to get dilompa, so you know how to do your job.
    silly, meaningless statement.

different education=different job. I am well employed thanks to my university education. Several friends of mine are well employed–some with university and some with college training. you do what suits you and you work doing that.

Partially Addicted to C2E

I took a business degree at U of A and wouldn't recommend it, but I didn't major in Marketing. I don't think there's any advantage to going there, at least for business. I would think Grant MacEwan would care more about its students. But then, that's just based on my personal experience.

One thing I will add is, I took some courses at MacEwan after finishing my degree and the level of difficulty/competition is noticeably lower than at the U, as I guess you would expect. One of the courses I took was an equivalent to one I took at the U and just barely passed. I got an A+ at MacEwan and got 100% on most of the exams. And it wasn't because I remembered the material, because I didn't. So if you go to MacEwan you can probably expect to get better grades.
    Last edited by PrairieBoyinExile; 13-12-2012 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AShetsen View Post
    It's very foolish to think of a university as career preparation. It is not job training of any kind, nor should it be.

As for all the specialized schools -- the engineering, law, medicine, education and business faculties -- actually they have no business being in a university, and should be made standalone.
    University is life preparation and far less about 'getting a job' and the foremost reason (other than women and beer at the plant) that I chose to it over NAIT or other options/variations.

University provided me with the opportunity to take a wide variety of courses from stats to art history to developmental economics to neuro-psychology to film studies to calculus to english lit.

It exposed me to more than I could have ever imagined and I am not only thankful for those experiences, but a much more well rounded version of myself because of it.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    University is life preparation and far less about 'getting a job' and the foremost reason (other than women and beer at the plant) that I chose to it over NAIT or other options/variations.

University provided me with the opportunity to take a wide variety of courses from stats to art history to developmental economics to neuro-psychology to film studies to calculus to english lit.

It exposed me to more than I could have ever imagined and I am not only thankful for those experiences, but a much more well rounded version of myself because of it.
    Good point, but aren't a lot of these courses available at MacEwan as well? It is nice to be able to take a wide range of electives.

^^ Bingo. (Is anyone else allowed to use Bingo?)
    Go down a few dark alleys.

^^ they are now, but MacEwan was only in its infancy of providing transfer programs when I was in school. All 3 are fantastic institutions, but I would still choose the UofA for numerous reasons..... even as a BA student.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by mnugent View Post
    ^^ Bingo. (Is anyone else allowed to use Bingo?)
    Please remit 1 pint per use.
    www.decl.org

Alright, I think I owe a pint anyways.

That's the other advantage of UofA, I think they have a better social drinking program... important life skill.
    Go down a few dark alleys.

First One is Always Free

No doubt, UofA has international reputaton and will come very handy when you want to further your studies (perhaps with an MBA). I don't know much about McEwan or NAIT but UofA is very international and can provide more exposure.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by newtocan View Post
    No doubt, UofA has international reputaton and will come very handy when you want to further your studies (perhaps with an MBA). I don't know much about McEwan or NAIT but UofA is very international and can provide more exposure.
    I agree mostly, however... good grades, an innovative attitude and industry experience seems to be the difference maker. I graduated from NAIT exclusively and was accepted to the first MBA program I applied to at 26 years old. No UofA required. Today UofA is still a great school with a solid business model that I respect, but is far from the only path to career, education and more specifically, graduate and post graduate success.

Granted, 10 years ago, UofA was held in higher opinions than Grant Mac and NAIT in Edmonton or even Alberta such as UofC, UofL and Athabasca... and for that matter, there were some good reasons for this. U of A had a respective historic reputation, dibs on all of the research dollars, etc.

To Uof A's own fault (somewhat) I see they have mismanaged their opportunity to grow in terms of online education (Athabasca has almost 40k total students now, eclipsing UofA's 37k total, as per a 2010 article) and applied research (NAIT has seen 10 fold increase in provincial and federal research dollars in the last 5 years).

Campus Alberta might also be a good read if you want to know where the province stands in the long term planning of what each school will mean in the next 20 years.

http://eae.alberta.ca/post-secondary/campusalberta.aspx
    Last edited by nick5150; 02-01-2013 at 01:58 PM.

Addicted to C2E

Your best bet IMO is NAIT. Take their BBA program and many of the courses are directly applied to your CGA requirements. macewan is really trying to capitalize on their recent University designation. In Alberta Schools are categorized as Comprehensive Research Institutions (U of A, U of C, AU, and U of L), after that is Bacheloreate institutes and Polytechnic Institute. Macewan (and Mount Royal in Calgary) is a Bacheloreate. NAIT and SAIT do not use the term University but there is no difference between MacEwan's status and NAIT. NAIT offers a number of degrees based on applied research in response to industry need. Graduates from NAIT IMO are better prepared to enter the workforce as it's degrees are directly related to industry demand. A Bachelor of Technology or Bachelor of Business Administration is a fully recognized Bachelor degree and not an Applied degree. The problem with Macewan is they are neither comprehensive research or applied research. I know some profs at Macewan and they have actually said NAIT is much better. Why? They said the quality of the students are different; NAIT students are there to learn whereas Macewan students see their education as an extension of high school; and the quality and usefulness of the content at Macewan is not as good as NAIT. Talk to a sessional prfessor/instructor at Macewan - they are likely to have taught at both institutions.
    Then again, the status of a U of A Business Degree means alot.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    Then again, the status of a U of A Business Degree means alot.
    Agree with most of your post, except this part. I have a Bachelor of Commerce from U of A and have found it's worth next to nothing.