Thread: Nordstrom to Announce Canadian Expansion

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Default Nordstrom to Announce Canadian Expansion

Nordstrom is announcing their Canadian expansion today:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/busin...933/story.html

Nordstrom to vie for Canadian dollars

September 13, 2012 9:55 AM

Officials from the Seattle-based department store chain and Cadillac Fairview are expected to reveal details for Canadian store plans at a media briefing in Toronto.

The announcement will relate to Nordstrom’s entry into the Canadian marketplace, and will also identify store locations in Cadillac Fairview shopping centres nationally.

The upscale fashion retailer’s foray into Canada will mark its first expansion into the international market.

According to previously published reports, Nordstrom is expected to open in four locations in Canada, including a trio of high-profile Sears Canada locations set to be shuttered this fall.

In March, Sears Canada announced it would sell back leases for three of its stores to Cadillac Fairview, its landlord, for about $170 million.

Prime store locations at the Pacific Centre in Vancouver, Chinook Centre in Calgary and Rideau Centre in Ottawa are set to close up shop by the end of October....
    Don't feed the trolls!

I'm sure Edmonton and Montreal are on their radar. If Ottawa is in there, you can count on us... BMO across from cc would be ideal-since rumours intimated that Oxford's will incorporate that to part of the mall.

I'd rather C2E than work!
    I'm having people over later to stare at their phones,if you want to drop by

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    I'm sure Edmonton and Montreal are on their radar. If Ottawa is in there, you can count on us... BMO across from cc would be ideal-since rumours intimated that Oxford's will incorporate that to part of the mall.
    I am sure they are not as we do not have any Cadillac - Farview properties in Edmonton.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Here are you CF Retail focused properties across canada.. CF has no Edmonton holdings which equals no nordstrom.

Chinook Centre Calgary, AB
    Market Mall Calgary, AB P
    Pacific Centre Vancouver, BC
    Polo Park Winnipeg, MB
    Richmond Centre Richmond, BC
    The Station Vancouver, BC
    Waterfront Centre Vancouver,

Fairview Mall North York, ON
    Fairview Park Kitchener, ON
    Lime Ridge Hamilton, ON
    Markville Shopping Centre Markham, ON
    Masonville Place London, ON
    Sherway Gardens Etobicoke, ON
    Shops at Don Mills Toronto, ON
    Simcoe Place - Retail Toronto, ON
    The Promenade Shopping Centre Thornhil, ON
    Toronto-Dominion Centre Toronto, ON
    Toronto Eaton Centre Toronto, ON

Carrefour Laval Laval, QC
    Champlain Place Dieppe, NB
    Fairview Pointe Claire Pointe-Claire, QC
    Galeries D'Anjou Ville D'Anjou, QC J
    McAllister Place Saint John, NB
    Promenades St-Bruno St. Bruno-de-Montarville, QC
    Regent Mall Fredricton
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

C2E Posting Power

The deal with CF only relates to three of the four locations that will be opened, it doesnt mean there wont be other stores with other landlords in the future. There is zero chance they will be going to DT Edmonton however though. They are are going after top of market centres across the country, WEM is the only one that fits in that catergory in Edmonton.

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    I am sure they are not as we do not have any Cadillac - Farview properties in Edmonton.
    With Americas economy in its state at this moment and fear of their dollar collapsing- according to experts- don't be so sure. Real estate is an easy achiever. Further, most retailers are expanding north due to our economy and strong dollar.

^^ Southgate too.

^^^
    ^
    I see where you going with it; but i see WEM and Southgate as oversatuated markets already where as downtown has become born again virgin territory without competition-well, if you count the Bay... Hopefully with the arena and migration of residence to downtown- Ultima, Encore, Fox, and future- it is a different game.

My money is on Southgate
    Don't feed the trolls!

DT.. its where holts and HS are located...

prime place for nords

WEM in the Sears location.
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Nordstrom is a department store and not specialized boutique such as HS or Holt. I don't know their product brandings as don't shop at departnent stores- prefer boutique styles.

It would be great to have them here regardless of location; but i prefer downtown for the purpose revitalization. On that note, no offence intended, some of you contracdict yourselfs with support to WEM and Southgate and yet complain about the lack of downtown's progress; i'm a little perplexed with that. If you are guessing as to which location you think they would prefer, then that is different...
    Last edited by ctzn-Ed; 13-09-2012 at 12:18 PM. Reason: missed a word

Quote Originally Posted by Dialog View Post
    WEM in the Sears location.

That would be my hunch as well.
    I'm having people over later to stare at their phones,if you want to drop by

First One is Always Free

According to the "Retail Insider", these are the other locations Nordstrom is looking at:

Nordstrom is examining other retail locations across Canada. Many of these are currently occupied by Sears Canada. A few potential locations include:

-Edmonton: Sears Southgate Shopping Centre
    -Richmond, BC: Sears Richmond Centre
    -Burnaby BC: Sears Metropolis at Metrotown
    -Winnipeg MN: Sears Polo Park

More of the story at : www.retail-insider.com

Nordstrom is a department store and not specialized boutique such as HS or Holt. I don't know their product brandings as don't shop at departnent stores- prefer boutique styles.

It would be great to have them here regardless of location; but i prefer downtown for the purpose revitalization. On that note, no offence intended, some of you contracdict yourselfs with support to WEM and Southgate and yet complain about the lack of downtown's progress; i'm a little perplexed with that. If you are guessing as to which location you think they would prefer, then that is different...
    Nordstrom is EXACTLY like holts.. majority of products are clothes with some small gift and home decor. It is not a department store along the lines of the Bay/Sears

Department stores usually sell products including clothing, furniture, home appliances, toys, cosmetics, gardening, toiletries, sporting goods, do it yourself, paint and hardware and additionally select other lines of products such as food, books, jewelry, electronics, stationery, photographic equipment and baby and pet needs.
    DT is the best location for their product.
    Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 13-09-2012 at 01:32 PM.

I've always thought they were more in line with the bay, but higher quality. I shop at Barneys for odd stuff and most clothing are tailored for i have a hard time finding proper fit, and that, fashion designing is my main career. Not bone skinny; just fit and slim- the asian thing lol.

C2E Long Term Contributor

I don't know where they can open in downtown Edmonton. Unless we see a new standalone store or if they can manage to kick out KPMG from Commerce Place.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I think you are going to be disapointed if you think they are like Holt. To me, it seemed pretty similar to the Bay when I visited a Nordstrom store. It was very, meh.

Nordstrom is known for slightly higher fashion lines than Macy's (read: The Bay here). They are also quite famous for their selection of shoes.

C2E SME

I think WEM will be the first choice for Nordstrom.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    I think you are going to be disapointed if you think they are like Holt. To me, it seemed pretty similar to the Bay when I visited a Nordstrom store. It was very, meh.
    I have been to nordstroms many many times... It depends on which store you are going... You go to the dt central locations that are done in the grand old buildings with huge multi story lobbies and marble everywhere and I assure you their product mix above that of the bay.

C2E SME

I would love to see them go downtown.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    I quite agree. I've been to a number of Nordstroms in the states and I'd peg them as slightly above the Bay.

The one out in Santa Monica is quite nice, I will give them that.
    LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

^ the same could be said about our holts...min a lot of ways it's a glorified high grade

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by Bennet View Post
    According to the "Retail Insider", these are the other locations Nordstrom is looking at:

Nordstrom is examining other retail locations across Canada. Many of these are currently occupied by Sears Canada. A few potential locations include:

I think that Southgate, due to its location(ie: an area of the city where people have emoney) and size plus access to the LRT, makes it the obvious choice. As much as I'd like to see it dwtn, I do believe that its the better choice for a store like Nordstrom

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

I think that Southgate, due to its location(ie: an area of the city where people have emoney) and size plus access to the LRT, makes it the obvious choice. As much as I'd like to see it dwtn, I do believe that its the better choice for a store like Nordstrom
    Sears would have to go bankrupt and close their stores before another anchor tenant moves to Southgate. I can't imagine another addition anywhere. There simply isn't room to expand without building some extra rooftop parking. I am not against the idea, but don't expect any surprises such as this anytime soon.

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post

Sears would have to go bankrupt and close their stores before another anchor tenant moves to Southgate. I can't imagine another addition anywhere. There simply isn't room to expand without building some extra rooftop parking. I am not against the idea, but don't expect any surprises such as this anytime soon.
    I think that Sears would close their Southgate store..if the price was right. Remember when the Sears experiment with the "new eatons" went bust? Afterwards they decided that they would designate 12 Sears stores across Canada as "high end" stores. The current batch of stores that Nordstrom is getting, were in that group. In addition the other stores that they are looking at are also in that group...including the Southgatre store.

With Boonie Doon mall getting a Target store the mall will obviously undergo some renos. I'm sure that the Sears there could be polished up and become the main store for the southside. The BD store could easily absorb the lost business from the SG store. Taking that into account, the WEM store could still serve the NW part of the city and the Kingsway store would become the main store and serve the NE part.

Now of course the SG store would need to be downsized for Nordstrom. Its just over 260,000 sq feet over 3 floors. In comparison the flagship Vancouver store is going to be 230,000 sq feet over three floors. Again IMO, the SG store just seems to be the logical choice.

the nordstrom in ottawa will include a louis vuitton boutique inside it

the seattle nordstrom downtown has a chanel inside it

nordstrom has also started opening/offering topman and topshop in its stores - i wonder how this will go in canada with the bay carrying topshop/topman

it varies from market to market but nordstrom carries prada, gucci, alexander mcqueen, celine etc - see the designer collections they have: http://shop.nordstrom.com/c/designer-collections

mens collections:
    DESIGNER COLLECTIONS

A.P.C.
    Armani Collezioni
    Attilio Giusti Leombruni
    Billy Reid
    Brooks Brothers
    Burberry London
    Dolce&Gabbana
    Dsquared2
    Etro
    Filson
    Gant by Michael Bastian
    Ghurka
    Gucci
    J Brand
    Jack Spade
    James Perse
    Jil Sander
    John Varvatos Collection
    KENZO
    MARC BY MARC JACOBS
    Marni
    Masons
    Michael Bastian
    Moncler
    Naked & Famous Denim
    NSF Clothing
    Nudie
    Oliver Sweeney
    Orlebar Brown
    Paul Smith
    Paul Smith London
    Pendleton Portland Collection
    Prada
    Pringle of Scotland
    PS Paul Smtih
    rag & bone
    Rogan
    Salvatore Ferragamo
    Save Khaki
    Shipley & Halmos
    Steven Alan
    T by Alexander Wang
    Tod's
    Todd Snyder
    Vilebrequin
    Vince
    WANT Les Essentiels de la Vie
    Zadig & Voltaire
    Last edited by SpongeG; 16-09-2012 at 03:45 PM.

Topshop has an exclusivity agreement with the Bay here in Canada.

Vancouver’s ‘Great White Urinal’ is getting a Nordstrom makeover

It’s been called the ugliest building in Vancouver’s downtown, The Great White Urinal, early washroom architecture, and worse.

Now, the giant white box at Granville and Georgia is going to be transformed into a glassy new structure by one of the city’s leading architects, James Cheng. It was built for Eaton’s in 1973 as part of the new Pacific Centre mall, recently a Sears Centre, and soon to be home to the upscale American department store Nordstrom.

The design, to be made public Monday by Pacific Centre mall owner Cadillac Fairview, will show the reviled white tiles stripped off, replaced by glass.

Mr. Cheng, who designed some of Vancouver’s most notable highrises, the Shangri-La, the Shaw Tower and the Fairmont Pacific Rim, is known for his modernist style and use of striking materials.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle4548472/

With Edmonton's luck, we'll probably wind up with just a Nordstrom Rack, which is their equivalent of Winners.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Oil City Roadhouse would be Edmonton's version of the ‘Great White Urinal’...literally. Let's put a Nordstrom in that old location.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    With Edmonton's luck, we'll probably wind up with just a Nordstrom Rack, which is their equivalent of Winners.
    Rack is awesome

www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Winners doesn't even compare...the Rack is awesome.

So Calgary, Toronto and Vancouver will be getting proper Nordstroms, while Edmontonians would be good enough with their bargain bin unit? Am I reading that right?

So Calgary, Toronto and Vancouver will be getting proper Nordstroms, while Edmontonians would be good enough with their bargain bin unit? Am I reading that right?
    Not quite, that's what you're twisting their responses up into.
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Perhaps, but I have seen "I hope we get a Rack" chatter elsewhere on the interwebs.

^ personally, I want both.

i love the rack, when nordstrom entered new york they opened a rack store before they opened a full nordstrom store

No Nordstrom, no Saks - and why we can't have nice things
    http://edmontonjournal.com/business/...s-on-the-shelf

Do major U.S. retail companies view Edmonton as Calgary’s poor cousin?

One retail expert believes so after upscale retailer Nordstrom Inc. announced plans Friday to open a Nordstrom Rack, the company’s off-price division, at South Edmonton Common.

It comes a little more than a week after luxury chain Saks Fifth Avenue revealed it was opening a Saks Off 5th in the city, launching Sept. 1 also at South Edmonton Common. Saks Off 5th is the company’s off-price satellite store.

While both Saks and Nordstrom are also planning off-price stores for Calgary, the southern Alberta city saw Canada’s first full-line Nordstrom in 2014. Saks announced in May that it will open a full-line store in Calgary.

There is no word on a high-end Saks store for Edmonton and Nordstrom spokeswoman Jessica Canfield confirmed Friday there are no plans at this time to open a full-line Nordstrom in Edmonton.

“Obviously, they see Edmonton as a discount centre,” said Paul McElhone, dean of management at Concordia University of Edmonton.

“I am disappointed not to see a Nordstrom’s or a Sak’s in Edmonton. In doing their research, they determined that Calgary is the best centre for these upper-end stores. I think there’s an opportunity in Edmonton as well.

“Edmonton is much more stable than Calgary and we can see that now with current economic trends.”

Despite Edmonton’s lunch-bucket image, it has both the money and demand for higher-end shopping, McElhone said. It has multi-generational old-money wealth that tends to be quieter than Calgary’s, he said.

“The distribution of wealth in the two cities is almost exactly the same. … It’s definitely a missed opportunity. I think Edmonton has way more to offer in consumer density at the luxury end.”

A 35,000-square-foot Nordstrom Rack is scheduled to open in fall 2018, adjacent to the intersection of the Queen Elizabeth 2 Highway and Anthony Henday Drive.

Two things, and sorry to keep repeating:

1. We have the market, but we don't have the right real estate configuration for them (yet?)
    2. If we could get a full-scale Holts, I couldn't give a whistle whether we get a Saks or a Nordstrom.

WEM is too representative of the general population, it is simply too big to shiver prestige -- probably a quarter of every demographic we have shops there. Southgate has a richer mix, but it doesn't have an open space and still isn't exactly a home run in luxury. Downtown has an excellent mix and an excellent future, but it doesn't have a single nice looking 100,000 -150,000 sqft space ready to lease (yet?)

If Southgate loses Sears (good luck without paying them off, as they have decades left on their lease), they could probably get a Nordstrom.

WEM might be able to get a Saks, as HBC does seem to be angling for "cross Canada coverage" (evidenced by the Edmonton market already earmarked for three "Off 5th" locations) and WEM is the most "ready to go".

Downtown's chances hinge basically on either Oxford upping their game and making space at City Centre Mall or that rumoured chance of consolidating space for Holts in Manulife.

Holts is simply the top of the pyramid. Nordstrom is only slightly higher than what a Hudson's Bay flagship could offer and strategically Simons gives us a more dynamic retailscape than Nordstrom would anyway. Saks is about halfway in between Bay/Nordstrom and Holts for the time being. First priority is filling the gap at the top because there are people who hesitate to move here and others that can't wait to leave because we have that gap. (Superficial? maybe. Real? absolutely. Hurting us? yup.)
    Let's make Edmonton better.

Our Holts doesn't carry half the brands others do. I shop online if I want anything from them. I love Nordstrom.

I also think both Saks and Nordstrom are waiting for Sears to be put out of its misery so that one of them can get into Southgate.
    They could open in WEM, but nobody wants to touch Phase I with a 10-foot pole.
    Londonderry is a remote possibility for one of them after their reno is done.
    Downtown is a even more remote possibility

I doubt Sears Canada will be going anywhere anymore. I used to think its demise was close but not so sure anymore. I have heard talk things are turning around for them.

^ Well, except...

Sears Canada President Carrie Kirkman Steps Down After Less Than A Year
    http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/07..._11218562.html

and

Report: Sears to reorganize into units
    http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=4162434&page=1

Sears has been "reorganizing" for about a decade now (Google "Sears reorganization"), and it's still falling behind. They've just been out-run at the low, middle, and upper-ends of the retail spectrum here and in the US. One of the last "department stores when I was a kid" left, other than The Bay.
    Last edited by Spudly; 13-08-2016 at 06:12 PM. Reason: typo
    I feel in no way entitled to your opinion...

Aside from some top executive turnover (which isn't abnormal for a lot of eras in different companies) Sears Canada has looked rock solid since Target Canada went down. I don't think they've closed a single store since then.

And it's important to distinguish Sears from Sears Canada. Sears Canada has been a bastion of stability, and is not 100% owned by Sears. It's still old Simpson Sears, except in name.

Also for the likes of Holts, Saks, and Nordstrom, there is simply no way that either Londonderry or Kingsway are in the conversation. Those stores would consider WEM or Downtown in some form, and Nordstrom would consider Southgate (actually said they'd prefer it.)

That sounds pretty accurate. Londonderry maybe depending on how their renos and attempts to go more high end go.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    Aside from some top executive turnover (which isn't abnormal for a lot of eras in different companies) Sears Canada has looked rock solid since Target Canada went down. I don't think they've closed a single store since then.
    Sears revolving-door management has been an issue though: http://business.financialpost.com/ne...oining-company

and bigger quarterly losses as it struggles with declining sales: http://business.financialpost.com/ne...ts-bigger-loss

C2E SME

Well one thing that has been confirmed if it hadn't been mentioned on the forum yet is that the Sears at Bonnie Doon will be officially closing by the end of the year.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

^confirmed where? Google finds no news of such.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    Sears revolving-door management has been an issue though: http://business.financialpost.com/ne...oining-company

and bigger quarterly losses as it struggles with declining sales: http://business.financialpost.com/ne...ts-bigger-loss

Hmmmn. Right you are. Looks like the next round of contraction is possible then.

Still in terms of Southgate, which is the only Sears location relevant to this discussion, I don't think Sears will jump. Considering the extraordinarily generous lease terms they recieved back in the bad-old-days to prevent Southgate suffering the same fate as Heritage, they would have to be paid quite handsomely to leave. The places Sears will vacate, assuming they do, will be less profitable locations.

WEM Sears is irrelevant as WEM already has both Target and "the mystery box" vacant should anyone else want to move in, and they also have an open permit to expand by more than enough space for a new purpose-built anchor space if that would be preferable as well.

Kingsway and Bonnie Doon Sears are irrelevant to this discussion because the malls themselves are irrelevant to this discussion.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...onto-1.3765364

The Eaton centre location is the fourth of a series of stores due to open across Canada in the coming years and the second largest in the country, after the Vancouver location.

Another GTA location will open in Yorkdale Shopping Centre in October with more locations planned for Edmonton, Calgary and other GTA shopping centres in the next couple of years.

Still meh on this whole company.

Sure if we can't get a proper Holts I'd check it out, but irrelevant if we do.

I really liked their Vancouver store. Not that we would get anything even remotely close to that. It would probably go in one of the current malls rather than downtown where it belongs. Oh well, still a nice store with nice things I mostly can't afford except on rare occasions when they're on sale haha.

I tend to buy less stuff so I can justify a few nice things.

^exactly. I don't need 5 of the same thing in different colours.