Thread: Photos...Edmonton in WW2

Default Photos...Edmonton in WW2

Setting the stage for next weeks B-17 visit to celebrate the North West Staging Route are some photos from the Alberta Aviation Museum photo archives.

All taken here in Edmonton

Wings parade

Simulator training

Some of the aircraft from the training schools here

Women of the RCAF

Women working for North West Industries

Last edited by Thomas Hinderks; 24-08-2012 at 05:07 PM.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

wow....what a different time in our lives...

Thanks for posting Tom...if you have a link to the source photo, that would be cool...
    President and CEO - Airshow.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Tom...if you have a link to the source photo, that would be cool...
    These are not off the net...all are from the Aviation Museum's photo archives.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Perfect...just so it is cited...
    President and CEO - Airshow.

How many photos are there in the archives?

Note: From my father's days at Aircraft Repair he had some fantastic high-quality 8x10 glossy photos of war planes shot inside one of the hangers. (Unfortunately, I'm still trying to locate them among his files.) I believe as a small kid I also saw in his boxes of amateur photos a couple large format negatives of pictures taken at the airport. Bush pilots' planes, military staff or something. If I ever locate them would it be better to donate them to the City Archives or to the Aviation Museum. (Note I've already donated to the City Archives information/brochures/magazines on NWI's post WWII airplane and boat building.)
    Last edited by KC; 25-08-2012 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    How many photos are there in the archives?

Note: From my father's days at Aircraft Repair he had some fantastic high-quality 8x10 glossy photos of war planes shot inside one of the hangers. (Unfortunately, I'm still trying to locate them among his files.) I believe as a small kid I also saw in his boxes of amateur photos a couple large format negatives of pictures taken at the airport. Bush pilots' planes, military staff or something. If I ever locate them would it be better to donate them to the City Archives or to the Aviation Museum. (Note I've already donated to the City Archives information/brochures/magazines on NWI's post WWII airplane and boat building.)
    Our photo archives is in the 10s of thousands of images and we are beginning digitizing, always on the prowl for more particularly
    -20s and 30s
    - All Canadian Wartime be it production, combat, training, people (especially women at work on duty) these are real tough to find as the RCAF discouraged and outright banned photo taking in some cases
    (unlike the USA and many other countries)

Nice to know City archives has the NWI stuff so we can at least access it!

BTW we have one of Lee Britnel's canoes designed to break down for aircraft transport here, donated by the family

Thanks Tom

News Release: Alberta Aviation Museum celebrates Women in Aviation Alberta Aviation Museum

https://www.albertaaviationmuseum.co...n-in-aviation/

End of an Era: A brief look at Edmonton's WWII aviation history | Retro Reporter
    http://www.retro-reporter.com/2013/1...tons-wwii.html
    Last edited by KC; 14-03-2019 at 08:51 AM.