View Poll Results: Should the city limit newspaper boxes?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, they are an eyesore.

10 41.67%
  • No, I like the selection.

6 25.00%
  • No, but only because I think the city has more important issues.

8 33.33%

Thread: City looks at limiting newspaper boxes

Default City looks at limiting newspaper boxes

City looks at limiting newspaper boxes
    Tabloid war doubles number of boxes in Edmonton

Susan Ruttan, edmontonjournal.com
    Published: Thursday, March 29, 2007

A newspaper war has helped to double the number of newspaper boxes on Edmonton streets.

In recent weeks the city has seen the introduction of two free commuter tabloids, RushHour and 24 Hours, with a third, Metro, arriving next week.

All three have boxes around major transit stops.

Large boxes carrying several classified ad publications have also joined the lineup. The bus stop outside the Stanley Milner Library now has 10 newspaper boxes of various sorts.

Coun. Michael Phair is wondering how much is too much with newspaper boxes.

Heís asked for a report on the matter, to be discussed next Tuesday at councilís transportation and public works committee.

That report states that so far this year, 7,952 permits have been issued for newspaper boxes, double the 3,970 issued last year. Most of the increase has been for free publications, says the report.

Another 1,000 permits for boxes are about to be issued, it adds.

Both Vancouver and Toronto now regulate how many newspaper boxes there can be and where they go, the report states. Ottawa is now reviewing its bylaw, and Calgary intends to adopt new guidelines by the end of the year.

Edmonton currently doesnít regulate the number of news boxes on the street, but city staff plan to review the matter in the coming months.

[email protected]

--30--

Or, you could raise the cost for the permits on the boxes and let it regulate itself...

But that never seems to occur to people.

First One is Always Free

I see a couple of options that would reduce the visual and physical space these clusters of boxes occupy.

1) The city license an outdoor ad company (like Pattison, or CBS Outdoor) to install the multiple paper boxes (like in Toronto or NYC) and each publication wanting space would lease a box.

2) The city or Downtown Business Association commission local artists, designers, or metal bashers to design a definitively 'Edmonton' multi-box to adorn the street corners and bus stops.

Nice. I like that option. Still gives you lots of choices but without the eyesore.

^ I like that option as well! Good idea.

Default Scrap the signs

Scrap the signs

The Edmonton Journal
    Published: Saturday, April 07, 2007

Re: "Phair hopes to curb proliferation of newspaper boxes," The Journal, March 30.

Maybe city council should start with all the clutter that portable signs are creating. They're not only on main roads, but also are creeping into neighbourhoods. They are very distracting to motorists.

It's time to clean up our once-beautiful city from all this useless clutter.

The newspaper boxes may be getting out of hand, but why can't city council do something about the signs -- a much bigger problem?

R.A. Francis, St. Albert

© The Edmonton Journal 2007

--30--

^ Agreed. I never noticed the newspaper boxes until Phair brought it up. But those portable signs have been an obvious eyesore for as long as I can remember.

Default Free news boxes dissed

Free news boxes dissed

Wed, June 13, 2007
    By FRANK LANDRY, CITY HALL BUREAU

The proliferation of distribution boxes containing free newspapers is becoming an eyesore in many areas of the city, charge some councillors.

"I frankly don't think the public wants them," Coun. Linda Sloan told the transportation and public works committee of council yesterday.

Coun. Ron Hayter suggested the boxes are ugly.

"In many cases they are an eyesore," he said, adding the free publications are also being discarded on the street by readers, creating a mess.

The committee heard the city is currently updating its policies on where the boxes may be placed and how they're maintained.

As of November, box permits are also doubling to $20 from the current $10.

The city estimates there are now 10,000 boxes in the city, up from 5,000 half a year ago.

--30--

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Default Re: Scrap the signs

Quote Originally Posted by djgirl
    Scrap the signs

The Edmonton Journal
    Published: Saturday, April 07, 2007

Re: "Phair hopes to curb proliferation of newspaper boxes," The Journal, March 30.

Maybe city council should start with all the clutter that portable signs are creating. They're not only on main roads, but also are creeping into neighbourhoods. They are very distracting to motorists.

It's time to clean up our once-beautiful city from all this useless clutter.

The newspaper boxes may be getting out of hand, but why can't city council do something about the signs -- a much bigger problem?

R.A. Francis, St. Albert

© The Edmonton Journal 2007

--30--
    I actually saw a bylaw officer removing garage/house sale signs along 23 ave a couple days ago. I was stunned.

Partially Addicted to C2E

I hardly find these boxes a problem most of the time when i go out for breakfast, i can never find one. Limiting the distribution of information is so communist.

I'd rather C2E than work!

It'll be nice if a free communist newspaper hits the stands in Edmonton.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffB
    I see a couple of options that would reduce the visual and physical space these clusters of boxes occupy.

1) The city license an outdoor ad company (like Pattison, or CBS Outdoor) to install the multiple paper boxes (like in Toronto or NYC) and each publication wanting space would lease a box.

2) The city or Downtown Business Association commission local artists, designers, or metal bashers to design a definitively 'Edmonton' multi-box to adorn the street corners and bus stops.
    3) Add a tax to the newspapers or directly charge the newspapers for rental space in the boxes. Outlaw the current boxes in the inner areas and key areas around the city.

C2E Long Term Contributor

There's what, now 3 or 4 of these free daily rags?