Page 1 of 12 12345 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Signature Condominiums | Residential (3 Towers) | 16, 13, 9 Storeys | Under Construction

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Default Signature Condominiums | Residential (3 Towers) | 16, 13, 9 Storeys | Under Construction

This is Westrich Pacific's Signature Condominium condo tower project down in Winderemere. Does this look like it's proposed out in the 'burbs? Man I'm loving their proposals so far.

Don't feed the trolls!

Crap I got the storeys wrong on the one tower. It would be 14 storeys. Sorry.
    Don't feed the trolls!

great looking project (OMG the prices though!...)
    be offended! figure out why later...

Quote Originally Posted by richardW View Post
    That's what you get for living in Windemere.

Imagine that where the Venetian is...
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Looks pretty nice and it's just across the street from the power center (directly across from Safeway). So pretty convenient for a suburban location. Where do you find the pricing or did you actually go to the sales center?

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    Imagine that where the Venetian is...
    Lol.

What architect does Westrich use or do they do their own designs?

C2E Long Term Contributor

These fine folks

http://www.newstudio.ca/
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Yep, the "Z" that left BZKA (now BKA).
    Don't feed the trolls!

Quote Originally Posted by ScottieA View Post
    Yep, the "Z" that left BZKA (now BKA).
    Looks like that was Z only talent there...
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

C2E SME

That's nice, too bad it wasn't in the central part of the city.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

C2E Continued Contributor

Very nice. But yeah, too bad it's not downtown somewhere
    Vision - The art of seeing the invisible

To be fair, look how long it is. That would create a serious barriers to whichever neighborhood it went into downtown. If Ultima (and then Ultima 2) continue to sell well, I can only imagine they'll keep building more.

And I would point out that this would be an effective, and location-appropriate use of stucco on a tower.

Acrylic stucco exterior with stone and metal panel accents
    Last edited by ScottieA; 10-07-2012 at 03:28 PM.
    Don't feed the trolls!

I'd rather C2E than work!

Will the top floors have views of the river ?
    Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

Density in the suburbs. Ill take it
    FREE THE LOOPING .GIF MEMES
    youtube.com/GrimEmpire

Actually, this would have been perfect on that strip on Fort Road. The size wouldn't be blocking access to anything and the height would line up well with the 8-12 story buildings around 66st.

I was down in Windermere yesterday and noticed that the sales centre has been set up along with a sign displaying the renderings of the buildings.
    Don't feed the trolls!

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    Actually, this would have been perfect on that strip on Fort Road. The size wouldn't be blocking access to anything and the height would line up well with the 8-12 story buildings around 66st.
    Yea it would be. But we don't get nice things like this over in this area of town. Not yet at least.
    Vision - The art of seeing the invisible

I drove by this yesterday and it appears that the site has been fenced off and there is some preliminary work going on.
    Don't feed the trolls!

Absolutely guaranteed that it will sell fast. Designs like this are what this city has been waiting for. Folks will live in condos if they're not ugly as all hell.

Quote Originally Posted by richardW View Post
    Hi Richard, where did you see the prices for this on thier website there is no link? This building definitley interests me

Ken
    Excellence is a continual Journey up a staircase where there is NO top step...

Does anyone have a price list they can post?

This building is not THAT great, really. Lot's of punched cheapo windows. Sad thing is it is better than most other suburban projects so we think its great.

I don't get the disdain for punched windows for they are rarely at fault, the other detailing is.
    www.decl.org

And they actually seem to have addressed the detailing in these renderings. Heck, they even added detailing into the acrylic stucco.
    Don't feed the trolls!

Quote Originally Posted by AAAAE View Post
    This building is not THAT great, really. Lot's of punched cheapo windows. Sad thing is it is better than most other suburban projects so we think its great.
    Many of Moshe Safie's projects use punched windows. There isn't anything wrong with punched windows...its how they are incorporated into the overall design that can make or break punched windows.

^ Right Huge punched windows are still huge windows!!
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Not forgetting mullions of proper thickness!
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

and lintels, more lintels
    www.decl.org

It's going to look spectacular in that location, and add to The Currents so much. This plus the other building(s) going in next to the new police station just South on Terwillegar are really going to bring the area together.

Note: This is literally across the street from Safeway and maybe a 5 min walk from the theatre. Urban Suburban.

Also, I bet we'll see a lot more metal panel on this than stucco.

Just to clarify they're using acrylic stucco, not the cementous.
    Don't feed the trolls!

C2E SME

I still think a project like this would be a whole lot nicer located somewhere north of MacEwan downtown.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

I was by this last weekend, and there is an excavator on site and a bunch of earth has been moved.
    Don't feed the trolls!

What is the difference in cost with the two?

^I think acrylic looks a lot better.

Says everything about my dyslexia (for lack of a better word) for renderings.

I mean, had to look at it 1/2 dozen times to realize these were three renderings of exactly the same elevation from three perspectives - both sight-lines and sky conditions.

Be nicer if they did something a mite less linear with those red window framings.
    ... gobsmacked

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    What is the difference in cost with the two?
    Acrylic is synthetic while cementous is a natural cement product.

Acrylic does not have some of the problems associated with cementous stucco. Such as: it's less susceptible to cracking, is water resistant, and dries more evenly so that the colour will be the same on all sides of a building, and is more appropriate for darker colours.

Their other project, Windermere Waters, is looking really shoddy. The stucco is messy, not uniform in color, already cracking in some places and is separating along the edges in some places (check out the balcony on the 3rd floor). Who knows what the inside looks like. The few trades (subcontractors) I've spoken to have said that they come in, swing a hammer (or whatever their odd job is), get paid, and get out. Not the right mentality for a crew on this kind of project.

I'd like to see them finish one building before I ever bought in to one of their projects.

^Isn't Windermere Waters a steel/concrete build?

I might be thinking of a different project. The one I'm talking about is right near the police station...

Quote Originally Posted by goingsolo View Post
    Their other project, Windermere Waters, is looking really shoddy. The stucco is messy, not uniform in color, already cracking in some places and is separating along the edges in some places (check out the balcony on the 3rd floor). Who knows what the inside looks like. The few trades (subcontractors) I've spoken to have said that they come in, swing a hammer (or whatever their odd job is), get paid, and get out. Not the right mentality for a crew on this kind of project.

I'd like to see them finish one building before I ever bought in to one of their projects.
    The building is far from being complete. It was also designed by GMH, so I don't have much faith there.

And that type of mentality is prevalent in the trades...it doesn't apply to all companies, but for many it somewhat does.

Administrator *

The site as of yesterday:

photo by kokkeimizu, on Flickr

Administrator *

It's in full swing now!

Yeah the cranes have been onsite for a couple weeks now

Excavation is continuing, I can't quite tell how deep it's gotten at this point as I'm always passing through and not stopping.
    Don't feed the trolls!

Does anyone know the timeline for this project to be completed? Thanks in advance.

I'd say 2015

Partially Addicted to C2E

They're at grade now. Gonna be nice seeing this one rise up.

I wouldn't say they are at grade yet... The steel griders are still being laid, and most of the concrete is yet to be poured...

Pretty sure it is. The steel girders are poking up above street level.

YA, but the rest of the basement still needs to be poured. I work 2 blocks away from here. The steel girders are indeed poking above ground, but the basement still has a long way to go. I wouldn't consider it at grade until the at grade floor is there.

Ah I see.

The steel girders are a good 10 feet out of the ground now.
    Don't feed the trolls!

Quote Originally Posted by goingsolo View Post

This guy has it bang on. Windermere Waters is quite the **** hole and extremely behind schedule. The stories they told my friend who bought there were quite hysterical with Nothing they said being correct. In the end tho timeline issues are very typical in new construction. But shoddy work is not okay...

The one guess of 2015 for it being finished i think is a bit of a stretch.

The biggest issue in a larger project like this is the developer can change
    the plans if it stops selling mid way through. Because they have multiple buildings this would be my concern. Too many phases\buildings is not a good thing for buyers. The vision is grand but will it all come together? Look at the Century Park development if you think that things dont change.

Windermere also has tons of condos starting construction right now as well that cost way less and also a new rental apartments that should be starting any day now as well... There is no shortgage of Condos in the area.

^Like any developer you learn from each project...or at least you hope they do.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    BCM and Tessco would like to have a word with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    BCM and Tessco would like to have a word with you.
    Tessco seemed to learn how to make alot of money with a product that leaks like a sieve and avoid litigation over and over.

BCM has invented a modularization program that is slower than stick building...but they are going faster at Whyte Ave then they did Downtown...they are on pace to beat those ones by like 1.5 years.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Is Tessco still building? Or have they disappeared. Maybe they have enough business repairing their previous screw-ups. The building across from the Macs and Telus Centre for Innovation at the U of A on 87Ave has been under repair for two years now and nearly completely wrapped for the past 9 months. I feel so sorry for anyone who bought into these projects. It's horrible how the onus is in the owner and not the builder. Longer warranties for construction work should be mandated by government in my opinion. It should be insured by private insurance companies rather than programs like National Home Warranty which is a complete scam.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    Longer warranties for construction work should be mandated by government in my opinion. It should be insured by private insurance companies rather than programs like National Home Warranty which is a complete scam.
    Agreed, much like worksite safety has increased with the OH&S and indecent premium models in the last few decades, hefty insurance increases with private firms based on warranty (and in turn quality) would motivate the best work out of companies wishing to be, as the accountants say, a going concern IMO.

^exaxtly. The onus should be on the CEO/President of companies to do what is best by ensuring quality construction, thus lower premiums, and ensuring that should a company "go bankrupt" that consumers are protected.

National Home Warranty is a private firm I think. Backed by Aviva insurance. Unfortunately, it's a joint thing between builders and insurance companies, so there's a bit of conflict of interest.
    Would be better if it was a standalone insurance deal.

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    National Home Warranty is a private firm I think. Backed by Aviva insurance. Unfortunately, it's a joint thing between builders and insurance companies, so there's a bit of conflict of interest.
    Would be better if it was a standalone insurance deal.
    It's one of the biggest scams ever. National Home Warranty is a pathetic joke.

Overall this project looks pretty nice and the location is good if you wanted to walk to a movie - seems like they are quite behind schedule but I do see floors going up everyday so perhaps they have kicked it into high gear - after doing some research Windermere Waters was there first building and you never want to buy in a developers first building "_" - it is like riding a bicycle first few feet you are going all over the place - eventually after you get the hang of it your a pro. If I time the amount of time it took for them to even start the Signature project hole and get it up - it looks like the Ultima which is according to there site the 3rd or 4th project not sure about something called Mansions - Ultima may be there prize building - glad I bought a unit here

I have just found out today that they have hired on some very experienced staff from Pagnota- this may be the reason things seem to be going smooth now - go Westrich go - so exciting to see this new player get buildings built

I heard Pagnotta are bringing in 100 people from Ireland.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

I have no problem with that as long as their not bypassing Canadians with jobs-especially Edmontonians.

Administrator *

A quick shot from me last night:

Wow, they've done a lot in a few days.
    Don't feed the trolls!

I wonder how many people in the $800k duplexes (not a typo) across the pond went ballistic when they found out that they'd be staring out at two condo towers from the back of their houses...
    Don't feed the trolls!

If they're going ballistic it's because they didn't bother to look at the master plan when they bought their homes.

Also, yes they're duplexes, but they're probably still bigger than my house.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    If they're going ballistic it's because they didn't bother to look at the master plan when they bought their homes.

Also, yes they're duplexes, but they're probably still bigger than my house.
    Oh that is what I'm implying. People get all NIMBY and ornery about new developments when they've been zoned and on the master plan for years. I remember people in south St. Albert getting all upset when they were going to be putting the NW leg of the Henday through, where it had been planned for decades...

And yes, they're massive duplexes, with the ones along the south end of the pond are triplexes.
    Don't feed the trolls!

I'd love to have that condo in my view vs. a sea of generic shingled rooftops.

wow, they sure built a lot over the weekend. Definitely above grade now.

Definitely agree it would be nice to have this condo building in my view too. Its too bad Edmonton is still having large suburb single family dwellings development rather than more condo building. You go to Europe most families live in apartment, usually very nice and trendy apartments. Here people think condos are only for single people and families should get cheaply built wooden boxes instead.

^ that's what people want. They want granite, marble, etc at rock bottom prices. When my parents were married, they didn't live in a brand new house with all the conveniences customers expect today. They built their way up to it... And now they're sitting pretty. Unfortunately, most people today want it all, but don't have the equity or money in the bank to pay for it, thus crappy single family homes an hours drive from anywhere of interest.

I believe the term being used now is "nillionaires". People who leverage everything they have so they appear rich, but can't afford any incidentals and often see their luxuries depreciate to be worth nothing (cars, etc) even as they can't afford them.

Some more construction shots. Most of the shots are from the path on the south side of the building, which runs along the decorative pond/storm water overflow holding area that Signature overlooks. Also picture of the $800K+ duplexes/triplexes referenced earlier in the thread.

The $800K+ duplexes/triplexes

It appears the two towers are coming up at an identical pace, at least at the moment. I wonder, will they release suites in the shorter west tower earlier, or hold of opening the property until construction on both towers is fully complete? Only time will tell. Neat to see it come up out of the ground finally

Quote Originally Posted by dandan View Post
    Definitely agree it would be nice to have this condo building in my view too. Its too bad Edmonton is still having large suburb single family dwellings development rather than more condo building. You go to Europe most families live in apartment, usually very nice and trendy apartments. Here people think condos are only for single people and families should get cheaply built wooden boxes instead.
    You'd be surprised how many semi-detached, townhousing and small single family homes are built in many of our new neighbourhoods. It's definitely not homogenous.

^ that's what people want. They want granite, marble, etc at rock bottom prices. When my parents were married, they didn't live in a brand new house with all the conveniences customers expect today. They built their way up to it... And now they're sitting pretty. Unfortunately, most people today want it all, but don't have the equity or money in the bank to pay for it, thus crappy single family homes an hours drive from anywhere of interest.
    So I guess those who bought that condo downtown with all the 'granite, stainless steel applicance upgrades, etc are exempted?

First of it is MDF and lamanite and second of all it is SS.
    www.decl.org

So I guess those who bought that condo downtown with all the 'granite, stainless steel applicance upgrades, etc are exempted?
    Nope. But most condos cost less than a single family home. Apples and oranges.

No, I think you made a gross generalization that those who bought a condo didn't "splurge" or "kept up with the Jones" like those who bought a house. Oh I bet there are a number of people who have overextended themselves by buying a bigger condo with all the upgrades.

lets not turn this into an urban versus suburb thread. plenty of those out there already.
    be offended! figure out why later...

No, I think you made a gross generalization that those who bought a condo didn't "splurge" or "kept up with the Jones" like those who bought a house. Oh I bet there are a number of people who have overextended themselves by buying a bigger condo with all the upgrades.
    Exactly. There are house-poor suburbanites and urbanistas.
    Don't feed the trolls!

Sorry for the lighting, it was dark when I stopped by. The east tower is at about 3 storeys.

Don't feed the trolls!

Sorry for the lighting, it was dark when I stopped by. The east tower is at about 3 storeys.

Don't worry about the night shot; I'm glad someone got a shot of the lights on the crane, as I've been meaning to take one myself, but never got around to it as I was driving past (I work in the area (via transit), but sometimes come down at night to go to the Wal-mart (has produce and a bigger selection the Westmount, not as busy as west end, at least at night)).

Here's a pair of similar shots from the daytime. There appears to be some kind of cement crane on site, but I didn't see a mixer truck present when I was taking the pictures.

^Those are concrete pumpers, they were likely waiting for the concrete to arrive.

The next level of pylons on the west tower of Signature are going up.

Construction on the east tower continues.

I haven't been able to get a good shot of them (poor old cell phone camera with no decent zoom), but I've been seeing the cranes moving large, pre-cast concrete slabs with multiple hollow cylindrical spaces running the length of them; I presume they are used in constructing the floor/ceiling pieces between levels, with the spaces used to run rebar connectors. Maybe someone with construction knowledge can confirm my supposition.

The concrete slabs are is brought in by CNTL tractor trailers on flatbeds; I don't know if they're using CNTL to bring the slabs in from a local supplier, or if they're coming in via rail from another source outside the province or overseas.

^Hollow-core slabs. They're lightweight precast slabs made with prestressed concrete. The voids are often used to house services (mechanical, electrical etc)
    "By its nature, the metropolis provides what otherwise could be given only by traveling; namely, the strange." --J.J.

Quote Originally Posted by whyteknight View Post
    ^Hollow-core slabs. They're lightweight precast slabs made with prestressed concrete. The voids are often used to house services (mechanical, electrical etc)
    Thanks!

This project is moving along nicely. Wish I had my camera with me when I drove by today.
    Being mostly steel does that make this project move considerably faster? I think this is slated for completion December 2013/January 2014.

They are claiming people will be moving in by November of this year which is a total lie. I can't understand how they have constantly lied to buyers of their condos over the years. They did the same thing at windermere waters. They still have 4 more floors to finish on the one building before they can even start working on the inside.

I was in the sales center when a sweet little old lady was asking when she would take possession. She actually thinks she will be moved in by november.

This project is also going in for permits for another 12-15 story tower that they want to squeeze in with the other 2 buildings. If you live in the area be prepared for that soon. West rich is not a good builder.. their construction sites always look like a bomb went off, they are constantly delayed, and the warranty work once you live in them is sub par. As with all builders do your homework before buying.

Is there any reason they are using flat top cranes for this job Last time i saw a flat top was used for building manulife place and that was because it was in the flight path of the city center airport, this isnt the same reason is it? as i don't think the CYEG's flight path is involved near here.

@ gwill, I'm pretty sure almost every developer uses the most optimistic timelines for possession in efforts to look more appealing do they not?

Quote Originally Posted by oilers52 View Post
    @ gwill, I'm pretty sure almost every developer uses the most optimistic timelines for possession in efforts to look more appealing do they not?
    Exactly. My home was done 1 1/2 months later than they stated, and my friends' place was 8 months behind.
    Don't feed the trolls!

Is November even that unrealistic if the trades all show up when they're supposed to and things go well?

Given where they are with the first building, a November possession is absolutely out of the question. Try Jan-Feb the earliest and even that is optimistic.

For what it's worth I was never told November for this project when I was at the sales center. It was always December earliest, probably in the new year. But then again, almost everytime I went to that building there were different sales people there.

Pictures from today.

They seem to be focusing on infilling the first few floors prior to going any higher, and are currently focused on the east tower. You can see metal frames being put in for drywall on the first couple of floors, with the ceiling/floor going in on the highest level now. I wonder if they're going to clad the lower levels prior to going higher, or wait until the end like with the Pearl? Only time will tell.

They've dismantled the sales center building and moved into the first floor of the east tower

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast