View Poll Results: What idea(s) would you want to see implemented?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hire an investigative reporter to write in depth stories on topics that other media may have missed. (Ad revenue dependent)

4 18.18%
  • Create a "Reviews" section, ie restaurants, bars, retail outlets - anything in Edmonton. Include a star rating system

15 68.18%
  • Redesign the site with new colours, appearance

6 27.27%
  • Place the forum more prominently on the front page

9 40.91%
  • Other: Please state below

3 13.64%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Evolution of C2E

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Default Evolution of C2E

I think we should look at seeing if there may be some way to move this website forward with new ideas or content. The discussion forum is very active, but there could be new elements added to the site that could increase the penetration of C2E. I have posted some of my ideas in a poll, and would like to get the discussion going.

A number of the ideas are costly and I wonder if we could collectively vote on doing something like running google ads on the site to pay for new aspects.

Your thoughts please.
    Last edited by AAAAE; 27-06-2012 at 05:33 PM.

Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

As someone who does no work with maintaining this place, I am uncomfortable issuing suggestions to what are basically volunteer staff.

Personally I think they do a wonderful job with what they have to work with.

Eve

C2E Long Term Contributor

Thanks Eve.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Addicted to C2E

A "one post per 24 hour period" should be implemented to prevent prolific posters from dominating forums.
    BobinEdmonton

C2E Long Term Contributor

^come on now guys... and this is exactly what I am getting sick and tired of.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Good morning Bob...

I am not sure if there is sarcasm in your suggestion, but I do get the prolific poster bit...we've had it in various incarnations from

1. the posters that always have to comment on every post by saying "thank you", or "you're great" or any other happy fun ball things...but then blows up when you say please stop...don't taunt happy fun ball..
    2. The "bingo" to "^yes" commenter...
    3. constant back and forth "did not, did too" arguments...
    However, this is an online forum and these things do happen. We've tried to manage it with the "thank you" button, and when arguments get more circular we do lock the thread for a cool down period....but you can't stifle the conversation either...

It is a balancing act...sometimes we win...often we get yelled at for making the call... It is an issue on every forum I am a member of...
    President and CEO - Airshow.

Quote Originally Posted by EveB View Post
    As someone who does no work with maintaining this place, I am uncomfortable issuing suggestions to what are basically volunteer staff.

Personally I think they do a wonderful job with what they have to work with.

Eve
    I think we all have huge respect for the volunteers, so if you have ideas to improve the site why keep them to yourself? Change isn't always bad.

I'd like to see the forum topics prominently displayed on the front page. First time visitors would then see how dynamic this site is, and might just stick around to contribute their own thoughts.

As is, recent posts tend to narrow down to just a few posters with a strong interest in following them. New blood and expertise isn't introduced unless someone deliberately goes first to the forum and then seeks out recent posts. There's also a lot of great older posts that are timeless, or before their time, but sit buried in the sands of time (i.e. current affairs posts and other posts).
    Last edited by KC; 29-06-2012 at 09:59 AM.

I wouldn't change anything. This forum is awesome.

Leave restaurant review/ratings to the gazillion other sites that specifically do that (Urban Spoon, Yelp, Google reviews, etc etc).
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Some of the best topics are the development threads that follow a new development from inception to completion, however the thread itself can often get sidetracked and nonsensical at times. The "Edmonton Construction Projects, Proposals and Rumours 2" thread is an awesome summary, but doesn't have as much information and doesn't link to the development threads.

It would be neat if this idea was elaborated on. Where a summary of each development can be found with official information, images, ground-breaking/completion dates, rumors, etc... and a link to the current C2E thread. The medium for this could be: webpages on the C2E site, user created/updated wiki pages, or even have the original post in each development thread updated regularly.

Not a lot of people have time to read every C2E thread, and in my group of friends, they all rely on me to read it and keep them up to date with everything lol. If there was an easier way for them to keep on top of things, I'm sure they would be more willing to regularly visit the site.

More guest columns. Non-paid of course.
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

A few suggestions:

*while it's OK to identify newbies, ditch the 'Addicted' and 'Partly Addicted to C2E' labels. Is mildly insulting to those who really do struggle with addictions and reinforces the notion that there are C2E insiders and outsiders.

*modify the 'New Posts' feature so it lists all new posts in reverse chronological order rather than trying to categorize them into new threads and unread posts in existing threads.

*replace the guest columns feature on the front page with short excerpts and links to some of Edmonton's most prolific bloggers (with their permission of course). Blogs that come to mind frequently featuring new topical content include Alberta Diary, Daveberta, Maurice Tougas and Mastermaq.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by East McCauley View Post
    A few suggestions:

*while it's OK to identify newbies, ditch the 'Addicted' and 'Partly Addicted to C2E' labels. Is mildly insulting to those who really do struggle with addictions and reinforces the notion that there are C2E insiders and outsiders.
    Good points. I agree with dropping the "addicted to C2E" label.

Way, way back there was a post count under each user's name. Some people complained it was intimidating to newbies. Their reasoning is if a newbie sees someone with 9000+ posts, they are less likely to join a discussion because the experienced poster has way more street cred.

But having an "addicted to C2E" under my name is the same thing. "First one is always free" may still be hesitant from joining a discussion. I would much prefer to have a post count under each user's name, like what all other forums do.
    replace the guest columns feature on the front page with short excerpts and links to some of Edmonton's most prolific bloggers (with their permission of course). Blogs that come to mind frequently featuring new topical content include Alberta Diary, Daveberta, Maurice Tougas and Mastermaq.
    I won't mind seeing Scott McKeen, Maurice Tougas, Graham Hicks, Jennifer Crosby etc. write a piece on Edmonton life. Of course they have to get permission from their employers first.
    Last edited by North Guy66; 03-07-2012 at 05:14 PM.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Thanks NorthGuy.

I've been reflecting on your post...this was a huge issue a few years back on post count...

It gets equally heated on that side with "you are not your post count" taunts, etc. ...but...when we removed both...then there was outrage on not knowing who were the elder statesmen/women. So, it was deemed that the "addicted" labels were a cute way of trying to satisfy as many as possible.

It came out again in a different way when we looked at having a "supporter of C2E" style badge for those who donated..etc..then came calls that supporters may get special treatment, what truly is support, isn't posting support, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc

...oh yeah, and emoticons...another debate from *ahem*

As for columnists and dedicated contributors from other media...not only is getting that release hard, but they are professional journalists and writers...and we don't pay well...not even granola bars! Plus, with som bloggers getting revenue from their sites...well...that brings yet another wrinkle...
    President and CEO - Airshow.

What about having just two categories below the name: 'C2E Member' and 'New C2E Member'? I think having the 'new' designation is a reminder to the longer time members to go easy on the newbies if they don't know all the ins and outs of the forum rules.

My idea of linking to some of the better known Edmonton bloggers is to drive more traffic to their sites. Just include the first few sentences from their blog postings and then include a link to their sites.

Being out of town and not checking C2E for a few days I was surprised to discover that at least one of my posts had been deleted from the Downtown "Connector" thread. Apparently the post was deemed to be off-topic.

Deleting posts because someone complains they are off-topic is a practice that should be discontinued as C2E evolves. At the very least, posts deemed to be off-topic should be moved to a new thread rather than deleted so that the time and thought put into the deleted posts is not lost.