Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Edmonton Construction Projects, Proposals and Rumours 2

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post

Source: https://edmonton.skyrisecities.com/f...re-m-3s.28681/

This project is called "Manchester Square" even though the buildings imitate Dutch architecture. It is located on 107 Ave and 120 St. Such a terrible looking development.
    Should be called Amsterdam Square.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

^It reminds me of those cardboard pop up model kits of famous landmarks and buildings.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by norwoodguy View Post
    ^It reminds me of those cardboard pop up model kits of famous landmarks and buildings.
    i'm not sure i understand the automatic criticism of this and the "free ride" we give for similar stereotypical treatments of the quarters lrt portal and some of the proposals for the 97th street bridge etc.

we don't seem to mind copycat 50 year old van der rohe or wright so i'm not sure this is all bad IF the second and third floor and attic spaces are actually occupied and active spaces. if they're nothing more than faux facades fronting ceiling and roof space then your cardboard pop up model comparison indeed becomes something a bit strange.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by norwoodguy View Post
    i'm not sure i understand the automatic criticism of this and the "free ride" we give for similar stereotypical treatments of the quarters lrt portal and some of the proposals for the 97th street bridge etc.

we don't seem to mind copycat 50 year old van der rohe or wright so i'm not sure this is all bad IF the second and third floor and attic spaces are actually occupied and active spaces. if they're nothing more than faux facades fronting ceiling and roof space then your cardboard pop up model comparison indeed becomes something a bit strange.
    What I wrote wasn’t meant as a criticism per se, more of an observational comparison. In actuality some of those model kits are quite nice. As for how this will turn out I’m going to reserve judgement until I see it in person.

Generally speaking I don’t have high expectations for these sort of developments unless they are mixed use. I’d prefer that they not “irritate” my senses (ergo loud colours etc.) but for me it’s more about the mood that they create.
    Last edited by norwoodguy; 08-07-2018 at 12:32 PM.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

people can do what they want with their money. However, I do agree with B.ike; better the parking be at the rear and at least animate the street.

C2E Continued Contributor

Terrific photos, Thomas - thanks!
    Almost always open to debate...

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post

This project is called "Manchester Square" even though the buildings imitate Dutch architecture. It is located on 107 Ave and 120 St. Such a terrible looking development.
    Should be called Amsterdam Square.
    I noticed the render show a bike shop. I wonder if that could be a hint about Western Cycle?

I'd rather C2E than work!

Likely just because that stall is right beside the bike highway although I would love it if Western moved up here!

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

CBC CHICKEN LITTLE

"Chair of the Realtors Association of Edmonton, Darcy Torhjelm, said condo sales are down eight per cent from last year and vacancy is up more than 20 per cent."

"Others have boarded up offices, temporarily abandoning plans to build towers in the core of the city." CBC CHICKEN LITTLE BULL ****

""We haven't cancelled Jasper House the building, we just gave people their money back," he said. "The project is still there." BRAD LAMB

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...ndos-1.4769268

What is being built on the NW corner of Ellerslie and 127 St?

Edit: It must be the Park and Ride.
    Last edited by TheGreatestX; 06-08-2018 at 03:17 PM.

There is an RFP going around the market for GC and Consultants on the Wexford tower at 104st and 103rd ave. 35-40 stories.

I understand why they've laid it out the way they did now. They're retaining the original building.

I go by the site daily and they've levelled what was the showroom area and are left with what, I presume, was the original building. L-shaped and occupying the same footprint as in this rendering.

Quote Originally Posted by canuckyeg View Post
    There is an RFP going around the market for GC and Consultants on the Wexford tower at 104st and 103rd ave. 35-40 stories.
    This has been confirmed by someone on SSP forum. Says it closes October 5. Precon is planned from Oct 20-Feb 14. They want to break ground by Sep 20, 2020.

Is this the former ID sale centre?
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    Is this the former ID sale centre?
    Yes.

The lot on the corner at 112 st and 103 ave has been cleared, is fenced off, and has adverting on the fence for a project called Artika in Oliver Condominiums.

From the Cover Properties web page for the site:
    Quote Originally Posted by cove-edmonton.com

Coming Soon - Artika In Oliver

Located in one of central Edmonton's finest neighbourhood, Artika in Oliver is everything you want in a downtown condo. A boutique collection of 29 ultra-modern condos and 6 stylish townhomes, Artika is steps away from the very best of Edmonton.

New AUPE offices going up in the west end between Wingate and the Hyatt on 100ave and 182st. I can't find any renders, can anyone else?

Major Development Permit
    Job No 290320726-001: To construct and operate a Professional, Financial and Office Support Services Use building. (AUPE)
    10025 - 182 STREET NW Plan 1821668 Blk 1 Lot 24A
    BIRD CONSTRUCTION GROUP
    PLACE LARUE

Too bad AUPE choose not to build downtown. Must be the “I drive a truck” culture of its membership. What a joke with the list of socio- environment aspects the design and project will have according to the link - which conveniently excludes being located where there is a rail line at least or better yet downtown where transportation and visibility would be beat. AUPE out of sight and mind.

AUPE is what, 5-6 storeys? If they did build downtown, all the downtown boosters would be crying that they didn't build a 50 storey tower instead.

It's not far from their current location and they're likely keeping costs in mind as well. It's also hardly out of sight. 100th avenue is major route into the city. I'd guess it's also fairly convenient for their staff as, if their labour relations people are anything like ours, they spend a lot of time on the road so easy access to the Henday is good.

Here is another update; the Bonnie Doon Mall transit oriented development, along with a couple of other projects proposed for this area of Edmonton.

Source: https://edmonton.skyrisecities.com/f...kylines.24660/
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

Bonnie Doon is a nice area. this development will look very nice there !

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

they updated the story to talk about the impact of taxation on affected residents. they didn’t say how far back in the archives they had to go to find a welcome to edmonton sign photo that still said city of champions.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I was just welcoming the new residents from Leduc County to their new status as Edmontonians. As for the City of Champions sign I’m one of the people that hate it and never want to see it again. Must be about five years now.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 25-12-2018 at 11:58 PM.

"The historic low skyline of Old Strathcona around Whyte Avenue is under threat again with a developer proposing to build three towers between 80th Avenue and 81st avenues. Cidex Group of Companies is asking the city to rezone the land on an existing parking lot — across from the Scona Garage between 105th Street and Calgary Trail — to build three towers, 15 18 and 20 storeys high, and podiums surrounding the development. It would create more than 400 housing units and maintain 150 of the existing 300 publicly-accessible parking stalls."

https://i.cbc.ca/1.4972584.154708621...dex-towers.jpg

Looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    Looks great!
    I like it as well. Going to sell well.
    Last edited by EdmTrekker; 10-01-2019 at 01:38 PM.

"
    The historic low skyline of Old Strathcona around Whyte Avenue is under threat again"

Someone who clearly has never visits the area. It's a block off whyte, and there are plenty of buildings in the area of similar height. Not to mention the eyesore that is this parking lot.

Most likely will be support for its height and density by council and community for it's in the coming revised ARP. Not to worry, but the particulars of massing / podium height and setbacks and ground uses needs to be strengthened in the rezoning approval.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Great looking project. Let’s fast track it. A big investment into Edmonton from Calgary and lots of jobs for trades, other workers and contractors. Glad to see Cidex having the confidence in our city and doing these amazing builds.

Great looking project. Let’s fast track it. A big investment into Edmonton from Calgary and lots of jobs for trades, other workers and contractors. Glad to see Cidex having the confidence in our city and doing these amazing builds.
    "from Calgary"?? Is that where you think the development money is only coming from?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Not really but by way of

Norwood expansion is now on the go. Civil work has begun. Central Drug facility is now in construction. The lot is being prepped. Lot of equipment on site.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by BalancedOP View Post
    Norwood expansion is now on the go. Civil work has begun. Central Drug facility is now in construction. The lot is being prepped. Lot of equipment on site.
    Which project is this?

C2E SME

The AHS one near the Glenrose?
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

C2E SME

With all the proposals that are out there I wonder which one or two will make it past the proposal stage to the point that contracts are signed and construction work will actually start?
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BalancedOP View Post
    Which project is this?
    http://www.infrastructure.alberta.ca...20approved.pdf

this will free up a lot of beds in Acute care faculties.
    Last edited by BalancedOP; 06-05-2019 at 03:05 PM.

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/glenora-...osal-1.4404198

Does this project have a thread yet? The design looks really nice, but not too surprising to see certain people in Glenora pushing back on it unfortunately.
    Last edited by Aaron_Lloyd; 15-05-2019 at 04:23 PM.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Nope. I really like this project and while there will be some additional parking pressures, this could be an amazing local amenity. Curious to know how many of those parked cars have driveways/garages in the back that at underused...
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E SME

I hope that this development will have a small grocery store. A bit a hike to shop for groceries.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

C2E SME

This would be nice. Hopefully Nimby's aren't too loud.

"About the business and parking concerns, Belostotsky said there are not enough amenities in Glenora and that parking cannot get any worse."

Pretty fair point. As well, there's a commercial building site kitty-corner from the proposed site, so the other guy's comment about it being a residential street is sort of comical.
    I will beat the dead horse back to life.

Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    The lot on the corner at 112 st and 103 ave has been cleared, is fenced off, and has adverting on the fence for a project called Artika in Oliver Condominiums.

From the Cover Properties web page for the site:
    Quote Originally Posted by cove-edmonton.com

Coming Soon - Artika In Oliver

Located in one of central Edmonton's finest neighbourhood, Artika in Oliver is everything you want in a downtown condo. A boutique collection of 29 ultra-modern condos and 6 stylish townhomes, Artika is steps away from the very best of Edmonton.
    Construction seems to be finally beginning. The lot has been cleared to soil, and there's an excavator with a drill bit on site along some some smaller equipment.

Aguatana Tower, Encore Tower, and the Hat in that order under construction.
    Pillowy Clouds Edmonton by Judith A. Gale, on Flickr

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

at least nimby's are usually local and relatively easy to identify and work with because they have actual concerns - whether real or perceived - that can be responded to.

the next level up the protest ladder however is much more problematic because they don't actually have any concerns, they're simply opposed on principle and, as they become more prevalent, are now being identified as "cave" - citizens against virtually everything.

What do you mean up the ladder? Where are and how are these "cave"'s protesting?

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

up the ladder as in more active, more organized, more vocal... if it changes the status quo, it's worth protesting.

it's becoming a pretty common, well-used and well-recognized acronym in the lower mainland and elsewhere.

https://www.newsoptimist.ca/opinion/columnists/nimby-banana-cave-and-other-acronyms-1.1565515
    Last edited by kcantor; 19-08-2019 at 10:08 AM.

C2E SME

up the ladder as in more active, more organized, more vocal... if it changes the status quo, it's worth protesting.

it's becoming a pretty common, well-used and well-recognized acronym in the lower mainland and elsewhere.

https://www.newsoptimist.ca/opinion/columnists/nimby-banana-cave-and-other-acronyms-1.1565515
    And I do believe that. I've seen it a few times where there are some that just don't want to see development and change. It's sad cause in order for our city to improve and to become more vibrant change has to occur. I learned that very well after my recent trip to Seattle. The last time I was there was approximately 20 years ago. When I was there earlier this week I was very impressed how much things have changed and grown. The vibrancy of the downtown and surrounding regions is great. If Edmonton is to come anywhere near to that more change has to occur.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

45,000 Amazon workers DT will certainly add vibrancy.....apples to pomengranate's here Paul. While you're at it...might as well add 38,000 Boeing workers in Everett, 47,000 Microsoft workers in Redmond, Costco HQ in Kirkland....all adds to vibrancy DT where Condos are going up faster then anything in China even........

at least nimby's are usually local and relatively easy to identify and work with because they have actual concerns - whether real or perceived - that can be responded to.

the next level up the protest ladder however is much more problematic because they don't actually have any concerns, they're simply opposed on principle and, as they become more prevalent, are now being identified as "cave" - citizens against virtually everything.
    Cave people. Love it. But so... caves refuse to cave on principle?

People with tunnel vision?

They undermine everything?

I’d say he’s got a point. They don’t need it. They’ll have the LRT station right there. They’ll just hop on a train and go downtown to get anything they’ll need.

However I can see where the arrival of LRT destroys the intrinsic value of a house so they sell out. I can see people abandoning houses, taking the cash and running, and so leaving land for nothing but commercial development.

Does the arrival of LRT typically create commercial development next to stations?

Glenora residents concerned over commercial building proposal | CTV News

““It’s a residential street. I just want to live beside another house like everybody else on the street does,” said Joel Gotlib, who moved to Glenora less than two years ago. “There are a lot of cars coming and going and parking here, and there’s simply not enough parking in this immediate area. So if the business goes in here that adds to this traffic mess that sometimes occurs here, it’s just going to get worse. That’s the fear for a lot of people here.”
    Ward 6 Councillor Scott McKeen says he’s received several emails from residents that don’t want another commercial building in their neighbourhood.
    “I would share some of those concerns,” McKeen said. “The majority of the emails I received, and I’ve had a couple of meetings with people, is they’re really concerned about it.” ...”
    https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/glenora-...osal-1.4404198
    Last edited by KC; 25-08-2019 at 10:14 AM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ That happened to a friend of mine about 2009. The city said they needed her property. She got market value for the house and 10 years later the property is still gated off and as of last year its now up for sale:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@53.52958...7i13312!8i6656
    Last edited by envaneo; 25-08-2019 at 12:35 PM.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

C2E Long Term Contributor

I couldn't find a separate thread on the Law Courts building reno so I'll just post this in the catch-all thread

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I just want them to spray the building down with a pressure washer..

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

They could always paint it library grey.

Clad it!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

https://www.google.ca/search?q=calga...8Qcb0E1TRA_iiMi. Just a reminder what they did in Calgary

10549 123 Street, Edmonton

Source: https://edmonton.skyrisecities.com/f...tecture.30012/

Parkwood located in Rossdale, Edmonton

Source: https://edmonton.skyrisecities.com/f...hitects.29602/

I f****** hate this city sometimes. McKeen is a GD embarrassment.

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...-neighbourhood

The councillor for downtown shouldn't be spouting NIMBY BS.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron_Lloyd View Post
    I f****** hate this city sometimes. McKeen is a GD embarrassment.

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...-neighbourhood

The councillor for downtown shouldn't be spouting NIMBY BS.
    there is no such thing as a "councillor for downtown".

the role of a councillor is "to consider the welfare and interests of the municipality as a whole and to bring to council’s attention anything that would promote the welfare or interests of the municipality". please note the specific use of the word "municipality" and not "ward".

An elected official supporting the views of his constituents? GET OUT THE PITCHFORKS!
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

^^That's being very pedantic. The fact is that McKeen, as Ward 6 Councillor (which as you know includes Downtown), should be the first to know and identify how important walkability and mixed development is. His continued inability to do so is a very poor sign for the city in my view.

^An elected official kowtowing to a bunch of privileged Glenora residents by undermining positive urban development deserves to be called out.

This could have been another big move forward for the area, like Ritchie market has been for that neighbourhood.
    Last edited by Aaron_Lloyd; 13-09-2019 at 03:09 PM.

Ah yes, the ol' "developers know better than residents what belongs in their neighbourhood" combined with "not supporting this specific development means they're against all development & are therefore privileged, entitled NIMBY BANANA scum worthy of derision."
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

We should probably just cancel the West LRT too by that logic. Probably cancel all infill projects while we're at it. If this is how we continue to run the city, Edmonton is just going to keep falling further and further behind.

Doubling down on the "not supporting this specific development means they're against all development & are therefore privileged, entitled NIMBY BANANA scum worthy of derision" after getting called out on your fallacious reasoning is a bold move.

Nothing bold about it, the article I posted literally points to the same people's opposition to the LRT too. The fact is that many of these people are NIMBY on virtually any sort of development and shouldn't be given the deference by council that they do.

It's like you don't understand or care that Glenora & Grovenor is the single most bent-over-and-take it section of the WLRT & that the people between 142 & 149 will see the worst benefit/disruption ratio of anyone stuck next to the City of Edmonton's social engineering experiment masquerading as public transit.

Nope, these people are completely bonkers & should be mocked for not wanting the primary arterial in their neighbourhood getting its capacity hacked away at so people in Lewis Estates can sit on a fancy tram instead of a dirty bus.

Either you're for all progress or you're against it all! How wonderfully reductionist!
    Last edited by noodle; 13-09-2019 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Edited for Captain Pedantic.

^Until you can show the Glenora busybody-class has any interest in any positive development ever I'm not believing it.

The residents of Glenora are also getting the LRT. Maybe if they wanted to live in a car-only nowhere place where nothing ever happens they could have moved to Peace River instead of living in Central Edmonton ffs.

EDIT: Let's also try to keep in mind, this is fairly high quality two storey commerical building by a future LRT station we're talking about. Not a 14 storey apartment building or anything like that where these concerns that were raised might actually be valid.
    Last edited by Aaron_Lloyd; 13-09-2019 at 03:40 PM.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by noodle
    It's like you don't understand or care that this specific stretch of Glenora is the single most bent-over-and-take it section of the WLRT & that the people between 142 & 149 will see the worst benefit/disruption ratio of anyone stuck next to the City of Edmonton's social engineering experiment masquerading as public transit.

huh? This development was proposed near 134 street. And Glenora ends at 142. Grovenor is between 142/149.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post

huh? This development was proposed near 134 street. And Glenora ends at 142. Grovenor is between 142/149.
    Edited just for you.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Its a nice looking building tbh. Its not massive. The history of Glenora NIMBY'im residents is well known.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Some residents may feel differently when they see their property values rise due to their proximity to the LRT like those in Belgravia did. Nevermind the fact that mass transit is an important part of a city's transportation infrastructure / network (NIMBYism be damned).

Looks like Edmonton will be getting another Costco.

Job No 305855498-001: To construct a Warehouse Sales Building (Costco).
    18804 - STONY PLAIN ROAD NW Plan 1525329 Blk 2 Lot 1
    HODGSON SCHILF EVANS ARCHITECTS
    SUNWAPTA INDUSTRIAL

Wow. That is really close to the one at the river cree. Seems a little odd.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Matters not. They could build across the street and both would be busy as hell.

C2E SME

The probably think that it may be a bit closer for those people coming in from Stony Plain and Spruce Grove.

Maybe that is the case. but there is about to be 3 Costcos from the Whitemud to the Yellowhead and 149 st and 215 st. I would think one of those has to give. Maybe not, it is Costco after all. I'm not going to complain about it, it is going to be really convenient for me.

C2E SME

Actually with that one going in, maybe another Costco on the Southside near Meadows, Whitemud and Henday, could be a possibility?

Someone on SSP mentioned awhile ago it's going to be a Costco Business Centre.

The Costco Business Centre caters to the small business owner looking to stock up on snacks and beverages, restaurant-grade food, utensils and dishes or bulk food ingredients intended for the foodservice industry. It strips out what’s become regular Costco mainstays, such as toys, clothing, a pharmacy and even a cafeteria. In fact, 80-90 per cent of products found at the Business Centre won’t be available at regular stores.
    https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/10-uniqu...entre-1.711837

That would be a great addition.

From 2017

Costco opened a new store in Canada this past week, but it’s a format that may be unfamiliar to regular Costco shoppers.

Costco Business Centre -- located at 50 Thermos Road in Scarborough, ON -- is the first Business Centre location to open in Canada and caters to small business owners. Costco hopes the format is popular with their business clientele and aims to open more Business Centres in major cities within the next five years.

All Costco members are welcome to shop, but don’t expect to find your regular assortment of Costco merchandise like apparel or toys, because up to 90% of the products stocked in Costco Business Centres are not available at traditional Costco stores. Instead, these stores cater heavily towards the food service industry and some products include restaurant supplies, food and meat in bulk volumes and commercial-grade appliances.

https://www.redflagdeals.com/latest-...ion-in-canada/

C2E SME

So I'm sitting here wondering, which downtown residential tower is next to break ground? CNIB? Clancy? The Shift? Westrich 106? Others? Lots of proposals as usual but who is going to be next jump?

CNIB already has hoarding up, so they are likely first. Retirement home on 102ave/124st already have started shoring as well.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123