Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,500 of 1672

Thread: Encore | Residential Tower | Under Construction| 43 floors - 138m

I'd rather C2E than work!

Ha and I drove by yesterday wondering when, great to see it's happening

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    I'm curious with how they will construct their hoarding with such limiting real estate. Perhaps a lesson learned through Mayfair?
    Hopefully.

There is also the possibility of borrowing the strip of land between this and Beaver House.

Either way, hoping not another awful full construction cycle a'la Fox.
    I'm pretty sure that won't happen again considering the amended bylaws on construction hoarding. Fox/Edge were just grandfathered in under previous rules.

I cant imagine parking along Beaverhouse would be feasible, so that would be a good staging ground for sure. I definitely don't want road closures like Fox, but I can tolerate temporary closures during pours.

C2E Posting Power

Sooooo; who wants to sell their current properties and buy in this one.

C2E Long Term Contributor

I imagine the construction trailers will sit on top of the hoarding as per other development sites (Mayfair, former Glenora B&B).

There are still some challenges with the surrounding streets when it comes to things such as concrete pours and such.

Alley - maintaining access for buildings along both 103 and 104 Streets.

102 Ave: The farmer's market has been using this stretch during the past couple of summers, but I imagine this will move back to 104 St once Fox II hoarding comes down. Then there's future LRT construction to schedule for.

103 St: heavily used foot traffic during Rogers Place events as people move between the arena and the Bay LRT station. Parkade entrances and exits on 103 St. 103 St is also a major route between downtown and the river crossings.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Stevey_G View Post

It's the only building I'd rather live in than the one I currently live in. So we'll see. I haaaaate moving, though.
    “It’s so beautiful. What sort of bird is that?”

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    I imagine the construction trailers will sit on top of the hoarding as per other development sites (Mayfair, former Glenora B&B).

There are still some challenges with the surrounding streets when it comes to things such as concrete pours and such.

Alley - maintaining access for buildings along both 103 and 104 Streets.

102 Ave: The farmer's market has been using this stretch during the past couple of summers, but I imagine this will move back to 104 St once Fox II hoarding comes down. Then there's future LRT construction to schedule for.

103 St: heavily used foot traffic during Rogers Place events as people move between the arena and the Bay LRT station. Parkade entrances and exits on 103 St. 103 St is also a major route between downtown and the river crossings.
    Many meetings have been had with various groups regarding all of these items.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

How Mayfair executed their hoarding is not groundbreaking, but it definitely set standards for our city. Their hoarding is definitely a learning tool for locals- in particular space restraints. I would also imagine trailers above hoarding along with some storage. If the small area belonging to Beaverhouse can be temporarily rented out, that would make an ideal area for reebar and forms to be stored. The only time road closures should be done would be concrete pours, or when their negotiating some aspect that requires road closure by code- If that is applicable.

I like how we all harp on Fox and Dub's Edge sidewalk closures every time a new build begins, but there's nary a peep on how the ice district is accommodating pedestrian movement along 102 avenue and 102 street.

That said, the chaos on this site will be fun to watch.

The excavation will be something else due to the small footprint and deep excavation.

Are existing street trees being removed, and what is the level of sidewalk alteration occurring?
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Do we know the final floor count and height of Encor? I thought they had added floors and height but I don't recall seeing a paste of the final permit here?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

43rd is the last occupied floor, with 44th as the mechanical penthouse, and a large cooling tower on top of that (which will be screened in architecturally). Top of that is 459'. So nearly as tall as Manulife.

That is fantastic for a variety of reasons.
    www.decl.org

C2E Posting Power

It's going to have a fantastc silhouette looking East in the mornings. I'm also surprised that it hasn't been mentioned by their sales team that this will be the tallest residential tower in Alberta.
    Last edited by Stevey_G; 20-03-2017 at 08:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by B.ike View Post
    I like how we all harp on Fox and Dub's Edge sidewalk closures every time a new build begins, but there's nary a peep on how the ice district is accommodating pedestrian movement along 102 avenue and 102 street.

The excavation will be something else due to the small footprint and deep excavation.
    Yeah, guilty, but the only thing worth walking North to a.) wasn't there until last September, and b.) is actually well accommodated for walking.

Plus unlike Fox, they, ahem, got a permit.

And diametricly unlike northedge one can't imagine the construction going any faster.

But again, props to The Mayfair, hopes for Encore.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

Quote Originally Posted by Idealistic Pragmatist View Post

It's the only building I'd rather live in than the one I currently live in. So we'll see. I haaaaate moving, though.
    I keep telling myself that I want to be closer to Churchill Square, but waiting for modern product has got me looking at Ultima and Encore with some envy.

Completely with you on the haaaaating moving too.

Yeah, guilty, but the only thing worth walking North to a.) wasn't there until last September, and b.) is actually well accommodated for walking.

Plus unlike Fox, they, ahem, got a permit.

And diametricly unlike northedge one can't imagine the construction going any faster.

But again, props to The Mayfair, hopes for Encore.
    If I recall the hoarding at Mayfair was based on the new city regulations. Just like MacLaren.

From the image above, a faint pulse beat of activity. Its a start.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Wasn't faint at all when I walked by at lunch time. In fact, it was pretty fookin' loud!
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

This afternoon, the jackhammer on the hoe was loud!

Ruh ro. Maybe I'm gonna have to work from home for a while. lol
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Jskye View Post
    This afternoon, the jackhammer on the hoe was loud!

Excellent news. Maybe the most important site in all of the Downtown to get going.
    www.decl.org

Excellent!

Awesome! Should be fun watching this go up

Of any site or development u/c, this is the site most of my buddies in Tor or Van are saying they are impressed with most.
    www.decl.org

So pumped to see this one start! Love this tower.

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Of any site or development u/c, this is the site most of my buddies in Tor or Van are saying they are impressed with most.
    Probably because it looks like every other tower in Vancouver and Toronto. It would fit right in there!

Weird that the Ice District isn't higher on their radar above this.

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by Moodib View Post
    Probably because it looks like every other tower in Vancouver and Toronto. It would fit right in there!

From an architectural stand point this tower competes with anything so far going down in Ice District. That t-shaped floor plate is going to give for some amazing city and valley views and honestly I would purchase here at this price point over legends any day. It's far more centralized and I bet these units are going to flip for a tidy profit when the tower is completed.

From an architectural stand point this tower competes with anything so far going down in Ice District. That t-shaped floor plate is going to give for some amazing city and valley views and honestly I would purchase here at this price point over legends any day. It's far more centralized and I bet these units are going to flip for a tidy profit when the tower is completed.
    I'll give you the location point as it is pretty unparalleled for that.

Architectural is more subjective though and I disagree on that front - views are only good the higher up you go. 25 and below and you'll be looking at a lot of windows.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Nice of them to start breaking asphalt at 6am this morning, in contravention of city bylaws.

Weird buddies maybe?

Or they just can't comprehend ICE is happening in Edmonton yet...

^Trust me, others are aware of Ice District. I just can't believe IanO has friends in TO or Van . I kid.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Nice of them to start breaking asphalt at 6am this morning, in contravention of city bylaws.
    Get used to it. At signature we had them working 24 hours during many different periods, blocking off the roads for 20+ minutes during rush hour, starting construction without permits, blowing up gas lines, using the road as storage and many other head aches. We regularly had 18 wheel semis try to navigate the windy residential roads in ambleside that were not created for them.

Westrich is not a good neighbor to have during construction. When i voiced my displeasures i was in the wrong to want westrich to follow basic city bylaws or the rules of their permits...

Good luck with the pending issues youll be dealing with daily Marcel.

Definitely a unique layout here. But can't agree on that tidy profit part. 50% of the building remains unsold...and basically all of those are $500,000+ units. Getting in early on the Ultima would have netted you a tidy sum. But in this case, they were priced optimistically right out of the gate.

smh

Weird buddies maybe?

They are well aware of Ice District, but this lot and this design really sets the project apart.
    www.decl.org

Bylaw enforcement I hope, that is unacceptable.
    www.decl.org

Weird buddies maybe?

They are well aware of Ice District, but this lot and this design really sets the project apart.
    Forgiving the current lack of a (fricken) grocery store Downtown, I'd agree it's the prime location at present, but the centre of gravity is definitely shifting North, and the only known grocery store we can bank on is going to be in ICE as well.

Encore is going to be a beauty, and really I couldn't ask for more in terms of urban integration, but, er, I don't see it overshadowing Stantec in the physical, psychological, lifestylical or metaphorical.

But if they're talking "superficial design", I couldn't say. That whole process is a black box to me.

Today,
    Eastbound on 102 Ave is down to one lane, curb parking is fenced in and a pedestrian walkway has been extended onto 102 Ave.
    Most of the lot appears to be broken up, maybe the jackhammer noise will be short lived?

So much for faint glimmer of activity.

This is happening!

Again, not sure we quite understand the totality of all of this.
    www.decl.org

Forgiving the current lack of a (fricken) grocery store Downtown, I'd agree it's the prime location at present, but the centre of gravity is definitely shifting North, and the only known grocery store we can bank on is going to be in ICE as well.

Encore is going to be a beauty, and really I couldn't ask for more in terms of urban integration, but, er, I don't see it overshadowing Stantec in the physical, psychological, lifestylical or metaphorical.
    It's really a apples to oranges comparison. Mixed use vrs pure residential.

Just imagine a taller and skinnier Pearl, we don't have this type of building in Edmonton yet.

My buddies in Chicago and Philly are pretty impressed about this one. Also had an interesting comment from my old friend in Halifax.

C2E Posting Power

Will be happy to see this ugly parking lot gonzo, but selfishly will miss the unobstructed late afternoon sun reflecting off Manulife and Commerce Place from the roof patio.
    If this added residential seduces a grocery retailer nearby, it will be worth it!
    YEG lifer. Phillips liver.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    My buddies in Chicago and Philly are pretty impressed about this one. Also had an interesting comment from my old friend in Halifax.
    Point being expats who left 10-20yrs ago because Edmonton was far from a progressive, exciting city have taken notice again and are quite impressed with where it has gone and what is being built. That says A LOT about many of our collective efforts.
    www.decl.org

Your friends left because there was better career opportunities else where and Edmonton was in an economic depression. They are lying to you if they claim anything else.

If your friends are so impressed by Encore, can we assume they are buying a unit and coming back, because Edmonton is soooo progressive now?
    Last edited by Medwards; 22-03-2017 at 09:44 AM.

Eight years ago, I worked for a company which had offices in Edm and Calgary and two of the young professionals in my team transferred to the Calgary office simply because the latter was nicer looking and offered a better lifestyle for them and their families (their words not mine).

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Your friends left because there was better career opportunities else where and Edmonton was in an economic depression. They are lying to you if they claim anything else.

If your friends are so impressed by Encore, can we assume they are buying a unit and coming back, because Edmonton is soooo progressive now?
    No, jobs were available, they wanted a urban experience which we are now attaining and it is being recognized outside of Edmonton.
    www.decl.org

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Urban experience.

Hoo boi.

C2E Continued Contributor

^like it or not, a lot of younger people want that experience, myself included, and are willing to move to get it.

I put myself in that boat too...always have one eye open for opportunities in Van, Tor or Mtl.

But Edmonton has come along to a point where I think it can sit in 4th spot within this country for an "urban experience". While Calgary has an amazing downtown, it doesn't quite have the residential numbers. If East Village completes, along with couple other developments in Eaux Claire, I'd put Calgary squarely in 4th.

Some of you may need to actually live in a city that offers a true urban experience to realize what is missing in Edmonton's urban experience.

(no, taking a vacation there doesn't really count.)

I put myself in that boat too...always have one eye open for opportunities in Van, Tor or Mtl.

But Edmonton has come along to a point where I think it can sit in 4th spot within this country for an "urban experience". While Calgary has an amazing downtown, it doesn't quite have the residential numbers. If East Village completes, along with couple other developments in Eaux Claire, I'd put Calgary squarely in 4th.
    Meh, having lived in Halifax, it isn't too far behind Edmonton on the urban experience level, if not the same or better on a number of levels. A lot of it has to do with St. Mary's and Dalhousie being integrated with the city/downtown though. Downtown is alive there, because half the student population is down there on weekends. The same thing doesn't happen here.

I get that people like to have pride about the city they live in, but I don't think Edmonton is quite up there in the top 4 or 5 yet. I also lived in Vancouver for 5 years in my early 20's, and that was before Vancouver really exploded into its own. Even back then, they were miles ahead.

I think we will know more in 10 or so years when a lot of these projects are done and we have a better idea of what is next for LRT (west/south expansions). Right now, the urban experience still leaves a lot to be desired imo.
    Last edited by Moodib; 22-03-2017 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodmanza View Post
    If this added residential seduces a grocery retailer nearby, it will be worth it!
    Who's gonna get "seduced" into opening a proper, mass-market grocery store Downtown? All of the major players have stores nearby & easily accessible to not only the residents that live in the adjacent neighbourhoods but also the scores of commuters that might need to pop in quickly, easily & cheaply to pick up a few things on their way into or out of work. Given the highly price sensitive & fungible nature of groceries along with people's busy schedules the additional overhead both monetarily & otherwise of grocery shopping Downtown doesn't paint a compelling business case.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

can everyone shut up about a grocery store already. You had one and its gone now. Time to move along

Meh, having lived in Halifax, it isn't too far behind Edmonton on the urban experience level, if not the same or better on a number of levels. A lot of it has to do with St. Mary's and Dalhousie being integrated with the city/downtown though. Downtown is alive there, because half the student population is down there on weekends. The same thing doesn't happen here.

I get that people like to have pride about the city they live in, but I don't think Edmonton is quite up there in the top 4 or 5 yet. I also lived in Vancouver for 5 years in my early 20's, and that was before Vancouver really exploded into its own. Even back then, they were miles ahead.
    Well, where would Edmonton sit? We can't just judge by Downtown. I think a good indicator of Edmonton would be taking into account what the POGO car sharing zone is...not just look at our downtown core.

#1 Toronto
    #2 Vancouver
    #3 Montreal
    #4 QC?
    #5 Edmonton/Ottawa?
    #6 Calgary/Winnipeg

And while Medwards is right that to truly judge, you have to live there, but through my visits, that would be my list. Unfortunately, Ive never been further east than QC, so I can't really comment on the maritimes. But at the same time, I wouldn't include them because of my definition of what "urban" is.

And the potential grocer at the Ice District is more than enough. We go from zero to one. What more do we need. Ideally the one in the Ice District will be anchored on the south edge.

Edmonton's core may have improved a bit over the past 10-15 years, but believing its a true urban experience because of an unbuilt tower that has 'impressed' friends for Toronto or Vancouver... is well... laughable.

To me, the benchmark for the success of Downtown as a neighbourhood unto itself is the breadth of the demographics that could manage to live a comparable calibre of lifestyle Downtown as they could elsewhere in Edmonton & on that front Downtown isn't really all that much more inclusive or successful than it was a decade or more ago. There's certainly more options available for the narrow demographic it can & does serve (quite well in fact), but it remains as steadfastly unlivable for vast swaths of the population as ever.

"Downtown is an alright place to visit, but I wouldn't wanna live there" as it were.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Edmonton has come a long way from 15 years ago but still has a ways to go - I don't think anyone is disputing that. It's presumptuous to compare to Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver - better comparisons would be Calgary and Ottawa, and catching up to both of these places is more realistic.

I think what Ian is trying to say that Encore is a microcosm of things that were not attainable 15 years ago: unrestricted height, much higher design standards, reinvestment in the central core that was barely there back then, and increased desirability of new downtown condos. I mean, 15 years ago this would have been another Peregrine Point and we'd have been jumping for joy, during a time when a new Tim Hortons opening downtown was a top news headline.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    "Downtown is an alright place to visit, but I wouldn't wanna live there" as it were.
    Remember the time when "Downtown was not a place to visit, AND I wouldn't wanna live there"? At least we are making progress.

Might not cater to your specific demographic but those who do live there currently or those who prebought into new condos might say otherwise...

Encore is a step in the right direction. I think we all agree that many more steps are needed but at least it's a step in the right direction. I'd rather have Encore built than not built and it's okay for us to be happy that we are moving in the right direction. Optimism vs pessimism.

Quote Originally Posted by barhonda View Post
    Remember the time when "Downtown was not a place to visit, AND I wouldn't wanna live there"? At least we are making progress.

Might not cater to your specific demographic but those who do live there currently or those who prebought into new condos might say otherwise...
    It wasn't all that long ago ~ 2003. I moved into a loft in the summer of 2003 and knew exactly how downtown was back then - better than it was in the 90's but far from being a destination besides a place to work and attend a musical/performing arts event. Whyte Avenue was ground zero. I remember many forumers around that time 'clamouring' for a decent lounge or wine bar and were giddy with excitement when a coffee shop like Second Cup or Starbucks opened up downtown. Fast forward 14 years later and we're lucky to even mention another Starbucks opening up. Yes, the downtown has come a long, long, long ways.
    Last edited by ChrisD; 22-03-2017 at 02:32 PM.

Well with Encore underway, the area I arbitrarily highlighted inside the orange box will only have 7 empty lots remaining. And if we're being optimistic, 3 of those have developments down the pipeline (hatched). Go back 20 years to 1997 and we definitely have had tangible improvements. To the detractors, keep it up, we want (perhaps need) that feedback to continue to evolve and improve downtown.

Also as long time resident, changes Downtown real and perception are night and day.
    www.decl.org

I think a good indicator of Edmonton would be taking into account what the POGO car sharing zone is...not just look at our downtown core.

#1 Toronto
    #2 Vancouver
    #3 Montreal
    #4 QC?
    #5 Edmonton/Ottawa?
    #6 Calgary/Winnipeg
    For what it's worth (not much), this list feels right to me, and your criterion to measure this pretty nebulous idea with makes intuitive sense to me as well.

It will be interesting to experience how the perceived centre of residential/commercial downtown shifts as projects like the Encore get completed and the Ice District really starts hopping. Right now, people tend to gravitate toward 104th Street and the immediate surroundings, but who knows what that will feel like in ten, fifteen years.
    “It’s so beautiful. What sort of bird is that?”

^There will be multiple nodes. 104 Street offers something ICE District won't, as RHW offers something else, etc.
    www.decl.org

Ok great to see Encore going vertical...Does anyone..anybody, have the final height to the top, architecturally?

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Edmonton has come a long way from 15 years ago but still has a ways to go - I don't think anyone is disputing that. It's presumptuous to compare to Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver - better comparisons would be Calgary and Ottawa, and catching up to both of these places is more realistic.

I think what Ian is trying to say that Encore is a microcosm of things that were not attainable 15 years ago: unrestricted height, much higher design standards, reinvestment in the central core that was barely there back then, and increased desirability of new downtown condos. I mean, 15 years ago this would have been another Peregrine Point and we'd have been jumping for joy, during a time when a new Tim Hortons opening downtown was a top news headline.
    Exactly; this is what I also meant in terms of Edmonton relative to other cities. I simply meant that I felt Halifax had a better urban experience than Edmonton did. Even since I have lived here (6 years now and then for 4 years 5 years prior), Edmonton has improved, though. so many areas have improved. See the 116th Street corridor. When I lived here 10 years ago, that was kind of a part of town you didn't go to. Now, it is all new condos/apartments.

In itself, Edmonton has made leaps and bounds from where it was 15 years ago. Your Peregrine Point example is perfect, too. Glad that this tower isn't representative of that.
    Last edited by Moodib; 22-03-2017 at 04:09 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Carcass View Post
    Ok great to see Encore going vertical...Does anyone..anybody, have the final height to the top, architecturally?
    43rd is the last occupied floor, with 44th as the mechanical penthouse, and a large cooling tower on top of that (which will be screened in architecturally). Top of that is 459'. So nearly as tall as Manulife.

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

Please, for the love of sanity, can we stop being so eager to attack?

Disagreeing doesn’t mean you need to be disagreeable.

I've removed 9 posts.
    Ow

^ And not one of them was directed at yours truly, shocking!

Seriously though a tower of 43 floors is going to be great.

To me, the benchmark for the success of Downtown as a neighbourhood unto itself is the breadth of the demographics that could manage to live a comparable calibre of lifestyle Downtown as they could elsewhere in Edmonton & on that front Downtown isn't really all that much more inclusive or successful than it was a decade or more ago. There's certainly more options available for the narrow demographic it can & does serve (quite well in fact), but it remains as steadfastly unlivable for vast swaths of the population as ever.

Eversince former councils' mandate to revitalize downtown living around 1994, there has been incredible changes. It is harder to recognized those change if you lived here all along and see gradual development. I was fortunate enough to be away from the city for a full decade - with exceptions of Christmas and Thanksgiving- and came back 2007ish part time to see such major difference from when I left for a carreer in the arts. For me there has been incredible changes, especially right at this moment. The last 15 years was more of trying to convince the mass of a great downtown living. From here on, I think that mass is ready to come downtown as evident of sales by local developers. The next 15 years will be a complete different story imo. The most important project for me after this is the Healy Ford location. The absorption of empty parcels in Wharehouse District is and should be the primary focus because once those parcels are depleted, developers will have to focus on other downtown lots. Right now, the WD is the most attractive area for condos downtown and those lots are disappearing relatively fast. Once ID and Encore are completed, we'll see a much different attitude towards downtown.

C2E Posting Power

Well, where would Edmonton sit? We can't just judge by Downtown. I think a good indicator of Edmonton would be taking into account what the POGO car sharing zone is...not just look at our downtown core.

#1 Toronto
    #2 Vancouver
    #3 Montreal
    #4 QC?
    #5 Edmonton/Ottawa?
    #6 Calgary/Winnipeg

And while Medwards is right that to truly judge, you have to live there, but through my visits, that would be my list. Unfortunately, Ive never been further east than QC, so I can't really comment on the maritimes. But at the same time, I wouldn't include them because of my definition of what "urban" is.

And the potential grocer at the Ice District is more than enough. We go from zero to one. What more do we need. Ideally the one in the Ice District will be anchored on the south edge.
    Honestly, I would put Victoria above Edmonton. It's relatively small, but also extremely walkable and dense feeling, with a lot of continuity, even if there isn't a ton of height.

none of this has anything to do with encore

C2E SME

Halifax also has a busy downtown.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Honestly, who cares about other downtowns. The fact here is that we have an opportunity to do something outstanding due to so much neglect for decades that created so much empty parcels. We have clawed back quite nicely, and hopefully, we will continue this momentum. We are in the right direction so far, so let's keep that positivity alive. It has changed tremendously compared to my days when I was in my twenties living downtown.

Halifax students stay in town but here they head on home. I thought the Healy towers were supposed to change all that. I can't understand why the project isn't proceeding. Housing students has nothing to do with the downturn in oil. Students will be there regardless. Maybe it's all the complaints about making shadows. I guess Healy is another thread tho, a dead one.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 23-03-2017 at 09:34 AM.

Honestly, who cares about other downtowns. The fact here is that we have an opportunity to do something outstanding due to so much neglect for decades that created so much empty parcels. We have clawed back quite nicely, and hopefully, we will continue this momentum. We are in the right direction so far, so let's keep that positivity alive. It has changed tremendously compared to my days when I was in my twenties living downtown.
    We should all care. We need to aspire to be, we need to recognize best practices and avoid certain pitfalls. The point of my comments above is that multiple people who have moved away because of the lack of an urban experience here have been back and are very happy to see how much progress there has been and how different our city is.
    www.decl.org

Was that before or after we annexed Strathcona? Lol

^^
    I much rather us inspire ourselves as to what should be unique for Edmonton. Our downtown wasn't always like this, so we should revisit our past as a source for inspiration. What worked for Halifax is that many have articulated that their university is there. For me, I'm not 20 anymore and the bar hoping days were over 2+ decades ago, so are older folks suppose to pretend were 20 again? Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver are different in way that they have huge population and lack of real estate, so living in highrises are their options therefor, it is a different ball game. Furthermore, our winters are different, so we need a different game plan altogether so that our core is busy year round. Should we aspire for a well rounded core like other cities? Absolutely! Do we want what they have ? IMO, no! I prefer a made in Edmonton solution for Edmontonians.

^
    Before and after I guess.

^^
    I much rather us inspire ourselves as to what should be unique for Edmonton. Our downtown wasn't always like this, so we should revisit our past as a source for inspiration. What worked for Halifax is that many have articulated that their university is there. For me, I'm not 20 anymore and the bar hoping days were over 2+ decades ago, so are older folks suppose to pretend were 20 again? Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver are different in way that they have huge population and lack of real estate, so living in highrises are their options therefor, it is a different ball game. Furthermore, our winters are different, so we need a different game plan altogether so that our core is busy year round. Should we aspire for a well rounded core like other cities? Absolutely! Do we want what they have ? IMO, no! I prefer a made in Edmonton solution for Edmontonians.

^
    Before and after I guess.
    I largely agree with your points. I don't think places that try copy others too much end up being that interesting or serving the unique needs of their residents very well. However, we can look to others for inspiration and ideas but we shouldn't copy them blindly or necessarily expect that because it worked well somewhere different it will always work here too.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Construction starts on downtown Edmonton's tallest condo-only tower
    http://www.edmontonsun.com/2017/03/30/construction-starts-on-downtown-edmontons-tallest-condo-only-tower

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by Prairie Boy View Post
    http://www.edmontonsun.com/2017/03/30/construction-starts-on-downtown-edmontons-tallest-condo-only-tower
    Alberta's*

The Encore article goes on to say Brad Lamb plans construction of Jasper House this fall.

134240188-016
    23-Mar-2017
    10180 - 103 STREET NW
    Plan NB1 Blk 3 Lots 209-210

To construct a hoarding fence for the shoring and excavation for future multi use building - Encore Condominiums. Expiry date: August 15, 2017

WESTRICH ENCORE INC.

This project is so incredibly important for our core. Amazing really.

Encore!

https://twitter.com/IanOyeg
    Last edited by IanO; 31-03-2017 at 12:22 PM.
    www.decl.org

why this thread says this tower still being proposed while they now start digging ??
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

I've changed the thread title.
    Almost always open to debate...

^you are a good man David.

Quote Originally Posted by Prairie Boy View Post
    Alberta's*
    The Guardian's will still be taller

The Guardians are listed at 482 ft in Wikipedia and Encore at 504 ft.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 02-04-2017 at 04:14 PM.

So excited for this!!!!!!

Just coming back from a weekend in Banff I noticed the Marriott in Calgary under construction. I cut across from 17 ave to 9th on 4th st under the tracks and noticed it to the west a block or so over(sw). So it must be about 10 ave and 5 st sw south side of the tracks. It looks to be at about the same progress as ours, about 15 to 20 floors. (Residents Inn by Marriott). A heck of a snowstorm going through Calgary. I know, wrong thread.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 02-04-2017 at 11:11 PM.

I don't hear anything about Guardians ??
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

They are both built and occupied or nearly fully in Calgary.
    www.decl.org

They're what the Fox should have been.

The circlejerk over 104 St will look silly in a few years when the quality of the product on other streets far surpasses the garbage slapped up there. 104 gets a little reprieve in my book for being ahead of the curve, but then I take that reprieve away for simply mailing it in because they could.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

^Agreed. Here's hoping that Langham picks up their design game as the bar has been raised.

They're prominent right now but will be fillers in the long run. If not, they'll need to lower their price by around 35% as their products are lower scale on mid-end.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

You mean buildings that are awfully built and many residents are really ****** off about?

Fox and Icon are fine, if they were really ugly as everyone says they wouldn't have sold as well as they did. Langham should be applauded for delivering 5 towers in downtown Edmonton, which no other developer in Edmonton has yet to do in recent memory...

Quote Originally Posted by Oilers99 View Post
    You mean buildings that are awfully built and many residents are really ****** off about?

Fox and Icon are fine, if they were really ugly as everyone says they wouldn't have sold as well as they did. Langham should be applauded for delivering 5 towers in downtown Edmonton, which no other developer in Edmonton has yet to do in recent memory...
    Looks aside, I'm wondering if you are speaking from experience or not in terms of living?

I ask, because my experience in living in the Icons for 2 years versus living in Serenity (118th off of Jasper - newer build too) contrast each other greatly. While not bad, the Icon was nothing to write home about, whereas Serenity was much much nicer in every way possible. Arguably, the outside of Serenity isn't as nice as the Fox or Icons, but the living experience was much better and much better managed too. Yeah, Langham built some towers, but having lived in the Icons and knowing what other residents/friends opinions of the buildings are, I wouldn't say they should be applauded for the end result of the living experience.

Given that you can buy a condo for about the same price in Serenity or Illuminada's as Icon/Fox, I would choose the formers over the latters any day of the week, unless the 14 block difference is really important to you.

Glad to see that Ultima and Encore seem to be raising the bar a little bit in the downtown area east of 109th.

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast