Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Encore | Residential Tower | Under Construction| 43 floors - 138m

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Default Encore | Residential Tower | Under Construction| 43 floors - 138m

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/mobil...tml?id=6730801

"He also said Westrich will announce another condominium tower in downtown Edmonton before the end of the year."
    Last edited by ScottieA; 06-06-2012 at 07:09 AM.
    Don't feed the trolls!

Partially Addicted to C2E

Your link doesn't work...

Fixed
    Don't feed the trolls!

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Any bets on where they'll build? I'm presuming they'll want to stay near the arena district.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E SME

Hmmmm, I'm curious which properties they own in the downtown area.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

C2E Continued Contributor

I think the Ultima is good for the downtown/arena district. I would like to see a similar building near the river in the West Jasper area.

More good news for downtown
    FREE THE LOOPING .GIF MEMES
    youtube.com/GrimEmpire

They should name the building "Stuccoless", just to slap down the uninspired competitors even further. I'd laugh if they sold out two entire towers in a year when the competition struggles to find buyers in their ugly buildings.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

^It's exactly the reason why there were lineups for the first edition of Century Park (glassy, Vancouver-esque), and why there is such a huge draw for the Ultima. Building appearance does play a huge role in whether people will want to buy in to a condo tower.

I wonder how much it struck in the craw of Procura's CEO that his comments, about how Vancouver-style architecture doesn't sell in Edmonton, was proved absolutely wrong by Westrich with the Ultima.
    Don't feed the trolls!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Some of you may want to go back and re-read his comments. He never said that Vancouver-style architecture wouldn't sell in Edmonton. He said that his vision for the Century Park site would be more of a "campus" style architecture, with more brick and stone than glass.

In his response to Chmilz, he did indicate that budget issues given Edmonton real estate values tend to prevent the kind of architecture that people are demanding here and elsewhere.

And before anyone says "YEAH BUT ULTIMA", keep in mind that Westrich has virtually no secured trades pricing at this point, so they don't even know what the building is going to cost to build, other than perhaps some budgeting.

C2E SME

I think something similar to the Ultima would do well around 107 Street/103 Avenue, near MacEwan and Norquest.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    And before anyone says "YEAH BUT ULTIMA", keep in mind that Westrich has virtually no secured trades pricing at this point, so they don't even know what the building is going to cost to build, other than perhaps some budgeting.
    Maybe they had a look outside of Edmonton at what developers are doing and how they are pricing, in other cities? Just because it hasn't been done in Edmonton, doesn't mean it can't be done.

Some of you may want to go back and re-read his comments. He never said that Vancouver-style architecture wouldn't sell in Edmonton. He said that his vision for the Century Park site would be more of a "campus" style architecture, with more brick and stone than glass
    Developer George Schluessel argues thin glass towers – the kind originally proposed for the Century Park site – have no place in Edmonton.
    http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...ancouver-look/

In other words...

Nor do they yet have a development permit. (it's in the works though)

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    Hmmmm, I'm curious which properties they own in the downtown area.
    I'm told they have not acquired anything else at the moment but are actively looking in the core.

Their website now says "Ultima II Coming Soon".

http://westrichpacific.com/projects.htm

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatestX View Post
    Some of you may want to go back and re-read his comments. He never said that Vancouver-style architecture wouldn't sell in Edmonton. He said that his vision for the Century Park site would be more of a "campus" style architecture, with more brick and stone than glass
    Developer George Schluessel argues thin glass towers – the kind originally proposed for the Century Park site – have no place in Edmonton.
    Crap architecture supporters or developers have a vested interest in seeing Westrich fail, for if they succeed, it makes a mockery of the likes of the CP developer of Mayfair per the coments above.

Having looked at their walkups, I can say that the competition should be afraid - very afraid. Lowrises with curtain walls? Yeah, it's happening, and Procura et al will quickly find themselves with projects they can't sell. I bet Quest/Icon owners are livid.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Picture Me Rollin' View Post
    Their website now says "Ultima II Coming Soon".

http://westrichpacific.com/projects.htm
    That's pretty conclusive.

Can we get a name change for this thread please?
    Don't feed the trolls!

Wow man...folks it looks like we are finally seeing a real quality developer emerge in Edmonton...Langham/Procura...have fun competing with your third rate product.

C2E Long Term Contributor

^ yet the one you mention has not delivered a single building yet to evaluate...
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

I'd rather C2E than work!

what wrong with vancouver style building ?? why not ?? we need a change of scenery in downtown core.
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

C2E SME

I wonder who owns the parking lot just north of sutton place hotel where the legion used to be. Or what about a block away from Ultima where the Aurora sales center was before?

I wonder who owns the parking lot just north of sutton place hotel where the legion used to be. Or what about a block away from Ultima where the Aurora sales center was before?
    The lot just north of the Sutton Place is owned by Oxford.
    Don't feed the trolls!

C2E Super Addict

i also hope the next tower is within walking distance of the new arena!
    Thank You For Finally Going Higher!

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    ^ yet the one you mention has not delivered a single building yet to evaluate...
    True....this cake has not yet been made and baked. We don't know what will come out of the oven. As I recall what we THOUGHT was going to be built in ICON evolved fell flat.
    Last edited by EdmTrekker; 06-06-2012 at 08:30 PM.

fair point. At the end of the day the execution of said project(s) will be the real killer blow. But we can say that the marketing, high detail/quality renders, extremely detailed sales center, and the overall project to date around Ultima has been head and shoulders above the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottieA View Post
    The lot just north of the Sutton Place is owned by Oxford.
    You sure about that?
    www.decl.org

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatestX View Post
    That's not a direct quote, that is Stolte paraphrasing her interview. The actual article that contained direct quotes from Schluessel talked about how he toured the U of A campus with the architect because he felt that was a better model, etc etc.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...701/story.html

The new design will focus on mid-rise towers with narrower streets, smaller blocks and more walking paths, said Simon O’Byrne, a senior planner for Stantec Consulting who worked on the design.

“We’re trying to replicate the feeling of a campus, both in terms of the materials and the height,” he said, adding he and Schluessel walked through the University of Alberta campus to discuss what they loved about it during the design process.

He said the new plan also counts on a warmer look to attract residents. Glass and aluminum towers are more appropriate for a city like Vancouver, where they sit between the mountains and the sea, argued Schluessel, who grew up in Edmonton.

Here, we need more brick and limestone, he said. “We have a cold climate here; it’s white. We need more of those traditional building materials to give people a level of comfort.”
    I really don't see what's so offensive about those comments to so many people here.

And he actually has a fairly valid point, one of the biggest concerns during the design and construction of the first two phases of Century Park were the performance of the window wall in our climate (curtain? I can never remember) and the ability of the mechanical system to prevent condensation and frosting without blowing someone's toupe off when the ventilation came on. The original plans called for not just forced air, but god-awful ugly 14" commercial baseboard around the perimeter of every suite. It was a battle to convince the mechanical consultant from Vancouver, who was terrified of our climate, to delete the baseboard.
    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 07-06-2012 at 10:36 AM.

I really don't see what's so offensive about those comments to so many people here.
    I guess because its used an excuse to put in extrememly low quality ugly finishes like on Mayfair rather than brick and stone like mentioned above. Westrich is showing there is a market for high quality finished condos in Edmonton downtown, per the pre-sales they are generating. Once we get two or three well finished condos with granite/glass or similar downtown (i.e. good location, not stuck in a middling suburb) with no stucco, I don't think there will be any turning back, hopefully we won't get anymore joke stucco developments pretending to be high quality luxury products.

Sure, we can have some affordable condo towers with lots of stucco (i.e. like Icon or Quest), but at least make them affordable and please don't put them in prime spots downtown (i.e. not 104 street).
    Last edited by moahunter; 07-06-2012 at 10:51 AM.

Because that is simply a nicer way of putting that that type of architecture has no place in Edmonton.

His comment about how Vancouver towers look the way they do because they are nestled between the mountains and sea makes no sense. Calgary, aside from chinooks in the winter, has a very similar climate to ours and yet they are getting the types of towers that he is saying is more appropriate for Vancouver than Edmonton. You also see similar buildings in Toronto, Montreal, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, etc. It doesn't have to do with how warm or cold the climate is, it has to do with how cheap of materials the developer wants to use.

And as for his brick and limestone comment, if the Mayfair is any indication, it will be simulated brick and limestone-coloured stucco. AND, if you go around the U of A you will notice that the older early 1900s buildings are brick and limestone, but the new ones that they are constructing have current modern architecture with modern building materials (and curtain walls!).

Maybe, just maybe, one of the reasons why Century Park is having trouble attracting buyers is that is that there are no buildings even remotely ready to start construction on. I suspect that many people don't want to wait 5+ years on a condo while the developer is waiting to sell enough units to start construction on the actual building. And maybe Procura should have started work on buildings that are closer to the LRT station rather than on the east side of the land. Or perhaps the company should re-examine it's marketing and pricing models... Design is not the reason why Century Park is stalled.

He's simply trying to justify downgrading the quality of building materials that Procura is using in their projects moving forward.
    Last edited by ScottieA; 07-06-2012 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Added paragraph about Century Park
    Don't feed the trolls!

^Perfect summary.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter
    I guess because its used an excuse to put in extrememly low quality ugly finishes like on Mayfair rather than brick and stone like mentioned above.
    Mayfair's exterior IS brick and stone, what the hell are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by ScottieA
    Calgary, aside from chinooks in the winter, has a very similar climate to ours and yet they are getting the types of towers that he is saying is more appropriate for Vancouver than Edmonton.
    If you look back at his comments to Chmilz, he also indicated that price in the marketplace was an issue. Calgary's downtown condo market is significantly larger, and significantly more expensive. Therefore you'll see more expensive features like higher end exterior finishes, more windows etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottieA
    You also see similar buildings in Toronto, Montreal, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, etc. It doesn't have to do with how warm or cold the climate is, it has to do with how cheap of materials the developer wants to use.
    Which is dictated by what they can actually sell the places for. I've said it before, if it were as easy as you guys think, then there are dozens of developers in Canada alone that are missing out on a golden opportunity to build such towers in Edmonton.

Could it be that a combination of factors like the size of the market, the prices in the market, and the cost of construction are as much of a factor in holding things back as the supposed greed of local developers and lack of imagination on the part of architects? Nah.

Could it be that a combination of factors like the size of the market, the prices in the market, and the cost of construction are as much of a factor in holding things back as the supposed greed of local developers and lack of imagination on the part of architects? Nah.
    Or could it be that you can make more money building a crap product in a city which has offered no alternatives, and where people are so used to crap they don't know any better, and pretend that its luxury? Nah, course not... Well we will soon know, lets see if Westrich raise the bar, so far they already have by actually giving some clear renderings and promising not to use stucco.

I think Procura are just looking for excuses as to why their CP development was a failure, rather than admiting that the original concept was poorly conceived. Its the wrong location for a large scale luxury development, IMO it would have worked on good land downtown though. It is a good location for an affordable development, and the downgrade in materials and price to more closely match the neighborhood, should hopefully improve sales.

PS. I realize Mayfair is not stucco, but it is still a very low quality finish material they have used, it looks like crap. If you interpret that is what Procura want to put downtown everywhere, unlike you, I don't think that's a good thing. I was hoping for a red brick finish look like on Capital Place a much older building, but that isn't what we see. The stucco on the Gmac residences looks better (and more glass there).
    Last edited by moahunter; 07-06-2012 at 11:41 AM.

^ And what they used on Mayfair isn't real brick.
    Don't feed the trolls!

^Marcel said it is brick and stone, so it must be If it is brick or stone, its the ugliest brick or stone I've ever seen.

Just because something is real doesn't mean it's good. An authentic piece of sh-t is still a piece of sh-t.

Back on topic, are we going to see a clone of Ultima, given that they named this tower Ultima 2, or will they change the styling?
    Don't feed the trolls!

Based on their low-rises and Ultima I will predict a design with similar elements, but unique enough to differentiate. If U1 turns out as good as we hope, I don't particularly care if they copy/paste a similar design. I'd rather get bored looking at this design than at what we've been grace with previously.

The Ultima will be the first of two towers. Plans for the Ultima II are in the works, and Westrich will be releasing details about it in the next few months.
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/homes...885/story.html

C2E Bandwidth Hog

I wonder if Ultima II will be the Grand Hotel?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    ^Marcel said it is brick and stone, so it must be If it is brick or stone, its the ugliest brick or stone I've ever seen.
    Its not. Its a cementitious block either smooth face or split. On the podium there may be some real stone on the pilasters.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    Its not. Its a cementitious block either smooth face or split. On the podium there may be some real stone on the pilasters.
    For the record, go back a couple years in the Mayfair thread and you'll see that I posted that most of it was to be "concrete block veneers" or something along those lines, which is what was listed on the drawings.

Quote Originally Posted by The Journal
    Sanche estimates it will take 24 months to complete the Ultima using steel and concrete, compared to at least 36 months using the more conventional wood construction.

Other advantages for using steel and concrete are that it provides better soundproofing, greater fire protection, and lasts three times longer than wood.

Odd, I didn't realize there were a lot of 32 story wood buildings going up.
    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 09-06-2012 at 09:54 AM.

Administrator *

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    I wonder if Ultima II will be the Grand Hotel?
    When I was at the sales centre, they said the Grand Hotel was staying where it is, with the owners still having plans to transform it into a boutique hotel.

I guess because its used an excuse to put in extrememly low quality ugly finishes like on Mayfair rather than brick and stone like mentioned above.
    Mayfair's exterior IS brick and stone, what the hell are you talking about?

For the record, go back a couple years in the Mayfair thread and you'll see that I posted that most of it was to be "concrete block veneers" or something along those lines, which is what was listed on the drawings.
    So what the hell are you talking about? Make up your mind.
    Last edited by moahunter; 09-06-2012 at 06:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post

Quote Originally Posted by The Journal
    Sanche estimates it will take 24 months to complete the Ultima using steel and concrete, compared to at least 36 months using the more conventional wood construction.

Other advantages for using steel and concrete are that it provides better soundproofing, greater fire protection, and lasts three times longer than wood.

Odd, I didn't realize there were a lot of 32 story wood buildings going up.
    Lol....
    www.decl.org

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

So what the hell are you talking about? Make up your mind.
    When someone says "brick and stone", I assume they are referring to masonry finishes in general. Which is what Mayfair was mostly finished with.

Quote Originally Posted by IanO
    Lol....
    Whoever wrote that piece did a pretty terrible job IMO. Why are they comparing structural steel buildings to wood framed, and not cast in place concrete? And how did that slip by the editor?

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Whoever wrote that piece did a pretty terrible job IMO. Why are they comparing structural steel buildings to wood framed, and not cast in place concrete? And how did that slip by the editor?
    Because not all newspaper journalists and editors are know-it-alls, unlike some internet posters.
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 10-06-2012 at 04:28 PM.

Better than being an opinionated know nothing.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Because not all newspaper journalists and editors are know-it-alls, unlike some internet posters.
    Research and being knowledgeable is their job. The article read like a "special interest feature", which is another term for a paid article.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Sooo....letters to the editor, anyone?

From the closed thread

Quote Originally Posted by IanO
    I would love to see them do this next tower on the lot west of Quest that Melcor owns or the lot further west on 104ave just east of Denny's.
    Agreed on either. With the Dub 107 building this would make a nice little strip of height along 104, and of course would block the Quest from sight looking eastbound down 104 though maybe the Quest-neighbouring location would be a tougher sell?
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Hard to say... but keep in mind that they will have to reduce height substantially to move west.
    www.decl.org

^^I think the location really sold Ultima 1. So Ultima 2 should likely go closer to amenties (105st and east, or 102ave and south) rather than the parking lot by Denny's. Why hasn't anyone suggested the parking lot beside Boston Pizza that we all hate?

I think it's better to build to a critical mass a few blocks at a time, rather than space towers out into what most people consider a wasteland. You will get quicker and more substantial buy-in with the former approach.
    Last edited by bolo; 19-06-2012 at 09:50 AM.

Critical mass is important, but so too are pockets of activity.
    www.decl.org

C2E Bandwidth Hog

People who lined up for Ultima 1 cited its proximity to the arena district as a selling point. I would think they'd be looking for a nearby site for Ultima 2. I'd put my money on the Grand Hotel site.

They're apparently turning that into a boutique hotel (after upgrades and cleaning the place up of course).
    Don't feed the trolls!

'They' being the current owners of the Grand, not Westrich.
    www.decl.org

Critical mass is important, but so too are pockets of activity.
    Definitely. But if the intent of putting it on 104 Ave is to hide the Quest tower and the empty warehouse district, that's not really fitting the definition of "pocket of activity".

I don't think a residential tower on its own can really generate a pocket of activity as evidenced by the block with the Legacy and Quest that can't even support a Starbucks (with a University across the street no less). Put the tower where it would best serve its occupants, the rest will follow organically.

^that's not the intent. Add 2-3 CRU and put it on 104ave and 108st, drive people to the area, have residents create activity outside of that, then fill in the gaps.

But yes, I do agree that the easier thing to do as a 'play' is to cluster development and piggyback off of the momentum.
    www.decl.org

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Curious to know where they'll build this?

http://encoretower.com

The lot behind where the Ultima sales centre would be a good choice. That, or any of the vacant warehouse district/Healy Ford lands. Do we know if this is just a name change from the preliminary "Ultima 2" name that they hinted at on their website, or if it's a third downtown tower?

I'm curious to know if they are looking at building any towers in the Quarters in the future.
    Don't feed the trolls!

Guessing this is 'ultima 2'. The Healy lands (west at least) may have a project in the works, still a ways to go, but it is interesting.

Here is hoping they bought the Healy east on the corner of 103ave/106st NEC.
    www.decl.org

The Healy lands (west at least) may have a project in the works, still a ways to go, but it is interesting.
    You and these small little nuggets of information....
    Don't feed the trolls!

Trust me, I wish I knew more and could say more...
    www.decl.org

I would like to see something for 104 st and 103 ave North of the parkade!
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

A lawyer owns that if I am not mistaken, but yes, I'd love to see that go.
    www.decl.org

It is such a great little lot! something like Gene Dubs skinny glass tower with no parking would be awesome... they just have to strike a deal with the parkade next door.

here is the link....

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=10419...Rmz-OaNx5_yOlQ

I don't remember that lot seeming that big... but on google maps it looks huge. I wonder if it's the camera lenses they use.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

C2E SME

Well it's good to see things moving along with this tower now, just would be nice to see a location for it. I hope we'll hear something soon.

I would love to see this project as the catalyst to commence re vitalization of 105st- continuing the momentum of 104st...

I'd be overjoyed to see either the 104 or 106st lots used; I'd love to see 104 'completed' along with the Fox towers/podium, but a tower on 106th would be great to introduce some density on that street two blocks north of Jasper.
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

C2E SME

I think 106 Street could be the next street for condo towers, as 104 Street starts to fill up.

Addicted to C2E

While walking to work this afternoon, there was a little photo shoot with a bunch of suits at the newly cleared lot on Jasper Ave, next to the Money Mart.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    I think 106 Street could be the next street for condo towers, as 104 Street starts to fill up.
    Not Capital Blvd - 108 Street? With the whole streets cape reno, I would expect this stretch to have more potential for condos with podium office space and retail, and hopefully a couple mixed use developments. I suppose the entire area between 106-108 Street north of Jasper Avenue is ripe for these types of developments.

I'd rather see Capital Boulevard keep the lower buildings. Don't want it to turn into a "tunnel effect: leading to the Legislature grounds. Lots of other places downtown to put 30 storey towers.

Guessing this is 'ultima 2'. The Healy lands (west at least) may have a project in the works, still a ways to go, but it is interesting.

Here is hoping they bought the Healy east on the corner of 103ave/106st NEC.
    Yes, there could be a new project on the Healy parking lot to the north.

The parking lot on the NE corner of 106 and 103 ave is under contract, not with Westrich.

C2E SME

The reason I'm suggesting 106 Street (for the next wave of condo development) is that it's:

(1) Close to 104 Street, and close to MacEwan or Corona LRT.

(2) A less busy street than 105 Street.

(3) Close to MacEwan.

C2E SME

Well as long as it's within the core area and it fills a space currently occupied by a parking lot I'll be happy.

I'm now intrigued to hear that there are a number of projects in the works for the Healy lands. Very interesting.
    Don't feed the trolls!

Mentioned in the Ultima thread:

Hey there,

I just checked out youtube and found a Westrich "teaser" video that identified where Encore will be located... right across from the YMCA from the best I can see from the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ-uivd29vo

Seeing as I'm experiencing "balconliness" I'm excited to see what they have to offer.
    Last time I was at the Ultimate sales centre and they had a 1100 sq ft balcony (almost 2 x the size of the unit) but then there's putting up with the falling objects/animals/pianos from above

^interesting... Ironwood's approved, formally put out for tender strata office site. I would actually prefer office there, but if Ironwood aint moving it forward, have at it Westrich.

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ-uivd29vo)
    www.decl.org

So that blacked image of a tower looks like an exact copy of the Ultima in terms of shape. Are they using a placeholder image, or are they simply going to reuse the design?

As per the site the indicate in the video, that would be a great location. Ironwood's loss is Westrich's gain.
    Last edited by ScottieA; 27-08-2012 at 02:24 PM.
    Don't feed the trolls!

Whaaat... they're going to build a condo on my favourite downtown parking lot?

Quite a location coup for Westerich though... with the Y right across the street would they even bother with an in-house workout room? A pool and so many other fitness resources beyond what a condo could offer, right across the street!
    Last edited by Dialog; 27-08-2012 at 03:18 PM.

That's a lot of density planned for the 104-102 street area now. I'm including 102St Centre/Manulife2 which is kitty corner from this.
    Last edited by ScottieA; 27-08-2012 at 03:39 PM.
    Don't feed the trolls!

It's almost like Westerich is staking their turf on 103st, and Langham has 104th...

Landmark... 106st....
    www.decl.org

^So, the lower the number, the better design? Is there room left on 102st?

C2E SME

Now I like that location, the lot that it's filling has long overdue (like so many other lots) needed a building on it.

i wonder what kind of pressure both this project and ultima will put on the fox towers. Given all three sites are nearly the same location it seems like these are gonna come down to price and look as they compete for sales.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

But with an arena district a block away from either of them, they're all prime locations.

Can we rename this thread now?

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    But with an arena district a block away from either of them, they're all prime locations.
    ya that's what I am wondering - if this new tower shows off a nice design and offers competitive pricing to the fox, i feel the fox will struggle.

would a project ever revamp its design as a result of competition?

^ Yes
    Don't feed the trolls!

^My guess is that Fox will be well into pre-sales before Encore will be in a position to launch. They (Westrich) should be constructing Ultima before they get going on this new project as well imo.

^ I don't expect Fox to undergo a revision, I was just answering his question in general if a project would theoretically tinker its design based on strong competition.
    Don't feed the trolls!

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Reposting my comment RE this picture from the Ultima thread:

You can see how close Ultima, Encore, 102 Street Centre, and the Fox will be in that picture (all a half block from one-another).
    Last edited by ScottieA; 30-08-2012 at 11:26 AM.
    Don't feed the trolls!

From that view, that whole area will look densified once they're all densified!

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast