Thread: Bait Cars

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Default Bait Cars

As I was driving to the downtown area to attend the meet and greet, I saw a portable sign in the vicinity of Telus Field. It stated that there are bait cars in the area, and anyone who breaks into a car could be in deep doodoo.

I'm so darned impressed that bait cars are in Edmonton. The creeps who steal cars should be very worried.

Bait cars have been a very successful car theft prevention program in British Columbia. If you've seen the videos taken of car thieves, you'll understand what kind of losers we're dealing with.

The bait cars have video recording equipment that tapes the jerks
    as they steal the vehicles, but more importantly, the police who are in the area of the stolen vehicles can disable the vehicle by radio, which prevents a high speed chase.

Can you say "gotcha?"

I knew you could.

I think it's a great idea, at least they're trying something "new"

You mentioned this last night and thank you for starting this thread.

I am glad to see these and I am sure it will make a difference to the stolen car rate.

grish

i see bait car signs on Sask Drive and also at NAIT. great program. hope it works.

C2E Long Term Contributor

this program has worked very very well in the lower mainland to curve thefts and I think it will do the same here...
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Saw the sign yesterday morning on Jasper Ave....

I'd rather C2E than work!

It's a good idea but why do they put up signs telling would-be car thieves about bait cars in the area?

Wouldn't it be better if the cops catch the thieves in the act?

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66
    It's a good idea but why do they put up signs telling would-be car thieves about bait cars in the area?

I have the same question. Maybe it's a legal thing? Just like how they have to tell you that there are potential red light cameras/phto radar in the area?
    Time to grow up.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Ceres

I have the same question. Maybe it's a legal thing? Just like how they have to tell you that there are potential red light cameras/phto radar in the area?
    ^^^ could be.

So would that stop the police from putting the signs up in one area not known to be affected by car theft (kind of a like parking a cardboard cut-out police car in the area) but actually patrolling another they know to affected by car theft?

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by edmowl
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceres

^^^ could be.

So would that stop the police from putting the signs up in one area not known to be affected by car theft (kind of a like parking a cardboard cut-out police car in the area) but actually patrolling another they know to affected by car theft?
    As far as I understand, the cars are in a number of different areas in the city, not just the ones with the highest rate of theft. I'd imagine the signs are strategically placed but I can't imagine them not putting up signs in high crime areas as well in order to attempt to deter crime.

That's true. It's a lot like putting a sign up on your door saying you have a security system installed even if you don't.
    Time to grow up.

Default Cops hooked on bait car project

Cops hooked on bait car project
    Auto thefts down since unit began setting traps

Ryan Cormier, The Edmonton Journal
    Published: July 12, 2007 3:05 am

A police unit that targets Edmonton's most prolific and expert car thieves has been renewed for another year and is looking to bring more bait cars to the city.

The Tactical Response to Auto-Theft Prevention, or TRAP unit, was created as a one-year pilot project in June 2006. In the six months after that, officers made 101 arrests, laid 275 charges and recovered 212 vehicles worth $3 million.

There have been roughly 3,460 vehicles stolen in the first six months of 2007, compared to just under 4,000 in the same time period last year.

"That speaks to the success of the TRAP program," said Staff Sgt. Jim Peebles, the officer in charge of the unit. "That's 500 less victims."

The program was renewed for another year at an internal police meeting on Tuesday. It will continue with the same resources and structure it has for the past year, although Peebles plans to ask for more officers when the program comes up for renewal again in June 2008.

While targeting the most successful thieves, the program also works with Crown prosecutor Robert Palser to ensure the thieves they arrest are kept behind bars.

Peebles plans to expand the number of bait cars being used in Edmonton. He has asked the Insurance Bureau of Canada to help fund six new specially equipped vehicles for the city.

Police do not release how many bait cars they have operating in the city now.

"I want to try to use Edmonton as a pilot project and then go provincewide," he said.

"The success of the program in Vancouver puts pressure on the Insurance Bureau of Canada. We're trying to use that to our advantage."

Bait cars have hidden cameras inside to record thieves and their engines can be remotely disabled by police.

In British Columbia, bait cars are largely credited with a 35-per-cent drop in auto thefts across the province and a 43- per-cent decrease in the greater Vancouver area.

The rate of stolen vehicles in Alberta is nearly three times the national average, says the Alberta Motor Association. In 2006, there were 10,084 thefts in Edmonton alone.

Stolen vehicles fund both organized crime and the drug trade in the city. Also, 70 per cent of police pursuits in Edmonton involve a stolen vehicle.

[email protected]

The Edmonton Journal 2007

-30-

What do you do with 10 000 stolen vehicles in one year? I mean it is one thing to pawn a stolen handbag but aren't 10 000 vehicles a little more difficult to dispose of with some subtlety?

Are they being sold to people? If there is a market for 10 000 stolen vehicles per year in Edmonton then I am even more suspicious of my neighbours.

I always assumed it was 15 kids escaping the youth justice system taking these things on joyrides when people leave them unlocked and running outside convenience stores...

I'd rather C2E than work!

Is there a big chop shop (or several) somewhere in or near the city? Perhaps a bait car might lead to a bust there too - that could make a real difference.

Quote Originally Posted by lux
    What do you do with 10 000 stolen vehicles in one year? I mean it is one thing to pawn a stolen handbag but aren't 10 000 vehicles a little more difficult to dispose of with some subtlety?
    I think a large number of the stolen cars are taken for joyrides and then dumped and/or damaged. Still others are used for transportation in the act of committing a crime, such as a bank robbery, break and enter or convenience store holdup. Often when a thief makes a getaway after committing a crime the getaway vehicle is found to be a stolen one.
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

as a victim in 2001...professional car thieves target cars they can blend into normal cars easily...ie civics etc.

my car was found with the frame and parts of engine, other than that completely gone.

the bait car program is phenomenal and should be expanded.
    www.decl.org

Partially Addicted to C2E

These are not kids doing it, its 30-50 year olds. Mostly these vehicles are choped for parts or they will find an identical car that has been smashed up and switch the numbers then sent out of province for inspection. The bait vehicle is a good idea but any good thief would use a couple of jammer's for around $300 rendering there radio's, phones, etc useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakine
    These are not kids doing it, its 30-50 year olds. Mostly these vehicles are choped for parts or they will find an identical car that has been smashed up and switch the numbers then sent out of province for inspection. The bait vehicle is a good idea but any good thief would use a couple of jammer's for around $300 rendering there radio's, phones, etc useless.

they are monitored by the police while they sit...
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Dakine
    you sure seem to know alot about this...

Partially Addicted to C2E

I wonder if car jackings will go up . a thief may see this a safer alternative than hitting an empty car.

Whatever happened with bait cars?

I thought this was sardonic

Saturday's letters: Don't blame victims for car thefts

Re. “Police warn of thieves stealing idling cars,” Dec. 23

The Edmonton Police Service is once again telling people not to leave their vehicles unlocked, with the engines running.

Once again, the police have shown that it is easier to blame the victim, than it is the perpetrator of the crime.

Remember, it is not illegal to leave an unlocked car idling, but it is against the law to steal the car or the contents. That same bent logic behind the police department’s warning can be used in the statement that women shouldn’t wear any clothing that could be considered provocative or revealing, in order to prevent sexual assaults.

Somehow I don’t think the chief would approve of that press release; he shouldn’t have approved this one either.

Randy Kish, Saint Albert

http://edmontonjournal.com/opinion/l...for-car-thefts

News from about a year ago in Calgary:

Calgary police hope to reinstate bait car program to catch car thieves

With more than 500 cars stolen monthly, police said bait cars would act as a deterrent to thieves
    http://www.metronews.ca/news/calgary...r-program.html

RCMP bait cars:

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/04/0...ait-car-thefts
    Last edited by KC; 24-12-2016 at 07:55 AM.

Randy Kish is a Edmonton Journal commenter dummy douche. I been reading his nonsense for some time now. The fact is the police are simply informing the public (once again) to protect themselves from theives and dear Kish is twisting it into public victimization because apparently thieves simply don't exist so thus it's all moot point.

The guy is half troll/half clueless and rarely makes any valid points in any of his comments. Just so you know

Oh... and just IMO it's not all satire.
    Last edited by Kitlope; 25-12-2016 at 04:31 AM.

C2E Continued Contributor

Blame the victim or blame the perpetrator is a false dichotomy. The reality is there is a lot of nuance when it comes to crime prevention and punishment. Police are simply informing the public of best practices to help prevent becoming victims of crime. Does that mean if you do leave you car running and unlocked and it happens to get stolen that it's your fault? No! But if you hadn't done that then the likely hood of your car being stolen goes down. So it's a good idea not to do that. Not your "fault" but also somewhat preventable.

Technically folks should be able to store piles of cash on their front doorstep, but they don't. Same thing goes with leaving your car running. Car thieves are losers, but letting yourself be an easy mark is stupid.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

C2E Continued Contributor

^bingo