Thread: Treason - and the internet

Default Treason - and the internet

"Nortel hacked for 10 years'!!!

Gads - can't we bring treason charges or something against those that take such a cavalier and negligent attitude towards our competitive assets?

Doesn't any executive understand that their companies and their assets exist at the grace and support of the country and that their many intellectual assets are built with the government support and backing either through educational funding, corporate grants or direct government expenditures?

Nortel hacked for years but failed to protect itself, report says
    by Lance Whitney February 14, 2012

"...By grabbing just seven passwords from top Nortel execs back in 2000, the hackers managed to gain access to the company's network and remotely control personal computers by flooding them with spyware."

"Nortel eventually uncovered the hacked passwords and breach in 2004. In response, the company changed the seven passwords and kicked off an internal investigation, the Journal noted. But according to Shields, Nortel didn't bother to determine if any of its products were compromised and halted the investigation after six months due to a lack of solid leads."...

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-573...f-report-says/

Nortel hacked: Nortel faced corporate espionage from China-based hackers for more than a decade

"The hackers also placed spyware so deep into some employee computers it escaped detection"

http://www.thestar.com/business/arti...-a-decade?bn=1

Treason
    (2) Every one commits treason who, in Canada,

(b) without lawful authority, communicates or makes available to an agent of a state other than Canada, military or scientific information or any sketch, plan, model, article, note or document of a military or scientific character that he knows or ought to know may be used by that state for a purpose prejudicial to the safety or defence of Canada;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treason#Canada

I'd rather C2E than work!

Treason, I think, and I stand to be corrected on this, can only be charged against a citizen of the country being compromised. So, I'm not sure how treason charges can be brought against hackers in another jurisdiction, in this case, China.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

C2E Hard Core Contributor

And not only that, Nortel is bankrupt. Who give's a rat's ***?

Treason might be hacking into the network of the Canadian government, but Nortel? I sort of feel the same way Kitlope does.

Of course this the the TORONTO Star so being the center of the universe every slightest thing related to them must be pertinent to the whole country. Nortel is (was?) headquartered in Mississigua.

If I was the federal government I'd deport the guilty parties, ban them from entering Canada in the future, plus try and give China a tongue lashing for being global meanies. Not much more they can do.

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    Treason, I think, and I stand to be corrected on this, can only be charged against a citizen of the country being compromised. So, I'm not sure how treason charges can be brought against hackers in another jurisdiction, in this case, China.
    Not against he hackers. Against those that decided to stand aside and leave the door open for years.

Didn't nortel patent Internet over copper power lines? Just one example of value hat might b needed in the future as broadband hits it's limits.

And, yes I know that the patent portfolio has been sold but crap like this destroys our credibility.

^ Fully agree, KC. But I don't think treason can be levelled at anyone for just standing aside. I don't know that that would even touch on abetting.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    ^ Fully agree, KC. But I don't think treason can be levelled at anyone for just standing aside. I don't know that that would even touch on abetting.
    If it was nuclear fuel and the executives said; well, yes I know our security sucked and we'd already had guys prowling around doing who knows what, but, hey, the company was in trouble anyway so we didn't really want to do anything expensive to protect the fuel.

And again - these weren't just shareholder assets - for decades Bell/Northern Telecom operated as a regulated utility and under that umbrella with all its guarantees and protections from competition, etc. there has to be some obligation back to Canada for allowing excessive rates to fund research and development and then protect the fruits of those labours.

If this, if that, and so on. I suppose various scenarios can be constructed, but whether any of them falls under treason or not I can't say. You'd have to ask a lawyer.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

There just hasn't been much downside risk for these guys. Isn't capitalism great.

"Nortel executives have collected $190M US in retention bonuses" see below:

[quote]
    Nortel executives continue drawing bonuses years after bankruptcy
    Since 2009 bankruptcy, Nortel executives have collected $190M US in retention bonuses
    By Julie Ireton, CBC News Posted: Oct 07, 2016

Technically, Nortel still operating

Close to eight years later, after the sale of billions of dollars of assets and prolonged, international court battles, Nortel is still operating in a sense.

"Technically, it still sort of exists," said lawyer Susan Philpott, a partner with Toronto law firm Koskie Minisky LLP, which represents Canadian pensioners in the bankruptcy. "[They're] doing administrative things, helping the court monitor get information out of human resources files, or that sort of thing."

"Frankly, I'm disgusted. I was disgusted in 2009 when I was laid off with no notice, no severance package, and all the remaining employees were given retention bonuses," said Buchanan, adding that "$190 million [US] would go quite nicely to people's severance."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...uses-1.3792904

[quote]

C2E Hard Core Contributor

^There really isn't much of a disincentive for poor performance, to the point of running a company into the ground.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???