Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Winter City Strategy - Fall in love with winter again

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Winter City Strategy - Fall in love with winter again

What would make you fall in love with winter in Edmonton?

We already have several great winter festivals and lots of outdoor activities. But we want to build on these and transform Edmonton into a world leading winter city; one where urban design reflects our northern climate, where snow and ice are used as resources and where public spaces are vibrant, inviting and comfortable places to be even on cold days.

So the City of Edmonton Community Services Department is developing a WinterCity Strategy - a plan with recommendations for making Edmonton a great northern city. And we want your ideas for the best way to do this.

We're focusing on 4 key strategic areas:
    • Urban Design, including: public life, public spaces and buildings
    • Quality of Life and Livability
    • Hospitality, Tourism, Business
    • City Branding & Marketing

All ideas for making Edmonton a great northern city will be taken into consideration by the WinterCity Strategy Project Team, but won't necessarily be directly referenced in the final WinterCity Strategy Report. That report will be going to Edmonton City Council in fall 2012.

GO TO

http://edmontonwintercity.ideascale.com/
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

thx for the link
    i love lamp

Another good link to the overall comprehensive strategy and background.

http://edmonton.ca/city_government/n...nter-love.aspx
    www.decl.org

Global warming.

^funny, but seriously. I find it laughable how many people here hate the winter given that we have a rather long dose of it. Growing up in Ottawa far more people embrace it and participate in it.

Get out for a walk in the valley, skating at hawrelak, x-country skiing in terwillegar park or elk island, get up to Jasper, head down to the Ice on Whyte, etc. etc.

Dress for it and it is generally fine.
    www.decl.org

C2E Bandwidth Hog

If they build that canal in Rossdale, that could be turned into our version of Ottawa's Winterlude.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    ^funny, but seriously. I find it laughable how many people here hate the winter given that we have a rather long dose of it. Growing up in Ottawa far more people embrace it and participate in it.
    People have x-boxes and the internet now.

Heard this presentation this morning and loved it.

How Copenhagen became a winter city: presentation from architect Lars Gemzoe

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...t-lars-gemzoe/
    www.decl.org

Build public transit facilities suitable for a winter climate, not San Francisco.
    Last edited by ajm1; 20-01-2012 at 03:26 PM.

A massive earthquake that creates a mountain, a lake, and hot springs in the Edmonton area.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by ajm1 View Post

Build public transit facilities suitable for a winter climate, not San Francisco.
    THIS. I would really like to see outdoor LRT enclosures extended and narrowed beyond the platform where possible to somehow (I'm not an engineer) trap heat and prevent wind entry better. For example, Stadium station enclosure could extend quite a bit down the tracks to provide a "tunnel" like enclosure that would minimize the opening. Kind of hard to explain but this and a better temperature control solution, even in underground stations, to make waiting more comfortable would go a long way.

C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

I also agree about transit stops. I find that quite a few are badly located especially on Jasper and there is no protection.

In cold weather I have two modes. I'm a prairie girl (childhood in Winnipeg, teenager in the wilds of Saskatchewan, adult in Regina, Saskatoon, Calgary and now here). Cold in and of itself doesn't bother me. As illustration, it has yet to get bad enough this year for me to have to button up my coat. That's when I'm moving.

But hanging around when it's cold and windy, with no place to sit and nothing to duck behind, is agony.

What does bother about some winters are unsafe sidewalks. My normal walk is an effortless stride, but I'm too old to want to risk a fall so when it's slippery my gait becomes that of an inept penguin. I have no idea of how to deal with ice (you can't shovel it, salt only annoys the ice, sand is icky underfoot when it's not needed). But icy sidewalks will seal me into my apartment in a way that extreme temps don't.

Eve

Heard this presentation this morning and loved it.

How Copenhagen became a winter city: presentation from architect Lars Gemzoe

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...t-lars-gemzoe/
    While Copenhagen and Edmonton are at the same latitudes and thus experience similar sunlight hours and the like, Copenhagen, and Southern Scandinavia in general, is a lot more mild and habitable in the winter when compared to anywhere in Canada outside of Southern B.C. Europe is a lot less harsh with its weather, which is what allowed it to be a a highly advanced region of the world. Keep in mind the sunny and mild French South Coast is at the same latitude as Maine and Nova Scotia.

Back to Copenhagen, even in the pictures it really doesn't look like a harsh winter at all. Sure, put on a nice jacket and maybe mittens, but nothing like what you need to survive a -25 week in Edmonton. The snow is light and the snowstorms look similar to the early winter storms in Edmonton when the temperature is just a few degrees below zero, allowing for excess moisture (snow). With that, it is a lot easier to make Copenhagen a "winter city" because while it may not be the best for Danes, it is nothing compared to Alberta.

We need to look at Ottawa, Quebec City, Harbin, Novosibirsk, Chicago, Yakutsk, and Winnipeg for inspiration, not Copenhagen, Antwerp, Portland, Auckland, and Washington D.C.

EDIT: Right now, at 12:30 AM in Copenhagen, it is a balmy 0 and Saturday's high is expected to be 7. And they're getting rain, not snow. Sounds more Burnaby than Sherwood Park if you ask me.
    Last edited by edmontonenthusiast; 20-01-2012 at 04:33 PM.
    ----

We have so many wonderful festivals and the river valley is still amazing to walk through

The Canal is a great idea. Also make yellow head bigger and faster to Hinton. The faster to the mountains the better

How about a train...
    www.decl.org

Bravo Edmonton, bravo... Even if skewed due to recent weather

POLL
    The city of Edmonton is in the midst of developing a winter city strategy. What do you like best about winter?
    Skiing
    11.00 %
    Skating
    3.20 %
    Sledding
    1.80 %
    Anything outdoors
    9.20 %
    The snow
    7.40 %
    The end
    67.40 %
    Read the story and Sound Off!
    Last edited by IanO; 21-01-2012 at 09:42 AM.
    www.decl.org

C2E Bandwidth Hog

You can't MAKE people like winter. A change of attitudes takes time.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Hey, I like winter... when it's like the one we just had in December. (And may have again this coming week...)

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Sure it does, but (and i caveat this with my wonder about the number of votes and the incredibly cold past few days) the thought that people cannot get out and enjoy a skate a hawrelak, a sled on connors, a walk in whitemud creek or the valley, or a ski at elk island is ridiculous.

My wonder is if people are really that 'busy' that they only associate winter with slow/treacherous commutes and freezing faces between their SUV and the mall.
    www.decl.org

C2E Bandwidth Hog

To be honest, I much prefer summer. The warm sunshine, the greenery of the grass and trees, the busy patios, the pretty ladies in skimpy clothing, the long days and short nights, the festivals and busy streets...who doesn't like all that? The main disadvantages are the mosquitoes, wasps, sunburns, perspiration, high costs of air conditioning and dead bug crust on the car.

Winter in Canada makes me appreciate the spring and summers here. I actually don't mind it at all, though I can certainly do without the treacherous roads and those Siberian Highs (most dreaded of all meteorological phenomena) like what we had this past week.

But you can take roads out of the equation to a certain extent and -40 is rare. Think about the number of beautiful -5 to -15 days a year, the VAST MAJORITY, where it is truly wonderful to be outside.
    www.decl.org

Sure it does, but (and i caveat this with my wonder about the number of votes and the incredibly cold past few days) the thought that people cannot get out and enjoy a skate a hawrelak, a sled on connors, a walk in whitemud creek or the valley, or a ski at elk island is ridiculous.
    the way the city is built how many people actually live near these activities? why would someone living in summerside drive all the way to hawrelak to skate more than maybe 1 or 2 times per winter?

design a city where these activities are easily accessible in winter and you will see people embrace winter.
    be offended! figure out why later...

I would love Edmonton's winters if my morning bus came on time/ came at all.

Quote Originally Posted by richardW View Post

the way the city is built how many people actually live near these activities? why would someone living in summerside drive all the way to hawrelak to skate more than maybe 1 or 2 times per winter?

design a city where these activities are easily accessible in winter and you will see people embrace winter.
    They don't need to... they have their own skating rink. This isn't about forcing people to come or go anywhere, look out your own backyard. Walk or skate or toboggan in your community.
    www.decl.org

Ian, people can do all the things you say and still have their #1 preference be: The End of it.

That's how it is for me, as much as I may enjoy some things about winter, it's still cold, it still lacks sunlight outside of work hours and summer is just better.

^I understand that Daniel, but the purpose of the new winter strategy is to change the perception of winter and to slowly shift attitudes to say 'you know what, i dont mind winter at all because of the variety of things i can do'. Sure we all love summer, but the idea here is to remind people that winter can be a wonderful time of the year if we take advantage of it, learn how to more appropriately dress for it and understand how many ways it can be just as great as summer.

People celebrate winter in many other cities, even if they ***** on certain days of extreme cold or snow or traffic.

Simply put, we need to do a much better job of loving winter.
    www.decl.org

never answered e-mail

I think you can make people look forward to it however, by having winter "mean" events they look forward too -- whether it be something like Winterlude, Ice on White, Candy Cane Lane, Bright Nights (Bring it Back) and so on.

I added 'Pedestrian Streets, Patios' as well as 'Pocket Parks Downtown' today. Consider voting for them!
    www.decl.org

PLEASE JOIN US! INVITE YOUR FRIENDS!!

FREE lunch hour speaker

When: February 14, 2012, 12 – 1 pm

Where: City Hall, City Room

After their city lost its bid for the 2002 Winter Olympics, many residents of Quebec City were dismayed. And the questions began: what happened? Are we a real winter city? What can we do better to become an international winter destination?

Pierre Labrie helped answer those questions – and in doing so led the people of Quebec City on a journey to embrace and celebrate winter. It meant grassroots change; learning to think, feel and speak differently about being a northern city. And it’s meant high level change, including securing sustainable funding, bringing the Red Bull Crashed Ice competition to Quebec City, and convincing airlines to provide more direct international flights to Quebec City in winter months.

Mr Labrie will tell Quebec City’s winter success story and he’ll take your questions about what more we can do here to fall in love with winter in Edmonton.
    www.decl.org

IMHO, the question you are asking is not complete. It is just one part of what makes you fall in love with Edmonton. If you look at the replies, complaints about transportation or far away skate rinks, it tells you Edmonton's strategy should be holistic, with winter and cold weather as part of it, to make this a great city.

One disadvantage of Edmonton to Scandinavia (European cities in general) is suburban living, the city has just spread horizontally. Thus it will be less likely that people leave the warmth of their homes in winter to be in a European-style city center, say in downtown.

Very true although not mutually exclusive
    www.decl.org

Something like this maintained from Rundle to Terwillegar Park.

(http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7155/6...5294380a_b.jpg)
    www.decl.org

I'd rather C2E than work!

want

C2E Bandwidth Hog

If they build that canal in Rossdale, that could be turned into our version of Ottawa's Winterlude.

Partially Addicted to C2E

Patios!! Most days are nice out enough. Living in Madrid I really enjoyed going for an espresso or cup of tea in some of the plazas during cold winters days. I am sure if Whyte Avenue restaurants/bars caught on the idea would spread through the city fast.
    edmonton - madrid - edmonton
    @BrettSMcKenna

A bunch of presentations and videos from our Winter Strategy workings.

http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...o-gallery.aspx
    www.decl.org

It's time for the return of the MukLuk Mardi Gras in winter and K-days in summer. I think the city regressed when they eliminated these fun times. I also think it hurt tourism as people would come to the city for these events.

How about light timing that is seasonal so that it is better balanced between the auto and the pedestrian during the winter at major pedestrian crossings.
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

Well the biggest problem the city has had was the opinion that it may be too cold outside so lets bring things inside. The two events that did this were the Santa Clause Parade through city center mall and also the Rememberance Day ceremony sent to the butterdome. I went to the other cermony outside of city hall this last november and it was cool yes but nothing that made me regret going to this smaller ceremony. There is nothing wrong with being outside, we have to start encouraging more outdoors activities.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Thought about putting this in a rant but since this is what would improve for winter it will go in here. The multi use paths are plowed throughout the city and it is very well done. One place they don't plow is the Riverwalk at Louise Mckinney Park. Considering the city constantly harps about accessibility and spent oodles of money on this small section of riverfront pathways with all the extra amenities you would think they could plow it too. The main path above is plowed with minimal lighting but the one with lighting is not plowed. What is another 600M to plow that would connect the riverfront all year round?
    My antidepressent drug of choice is running. Cheaper with less side effects!

C2E SME

I think one of the major things that the city has to be aware of is to improve the natural pathways into the river valley. Two examples that I can think of that need better access. First one is at the Legislature. If someone is walking down in the Leg grounds they can only go so far within the park space towards the river. As it has been suggested many different times, I think that the Leg grounds should be extended all the way right to the edge of the river with proper trails, etc...

The next area that is not there just yet but hopefully soon is along 96st where the Armature will be located. I hope that they plan on making a proper lookout and also a proper access down to Louis McKinney Park. By creating a nice direct access into the valley that is fluid with the park space at the top of the valley then when people are going for walks it wont seem like such a drastic transition from one area to the next.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

^sure, but you can easily go down 105st or the hill to the Royal Glenora Club.

Concur, lookout would be awesome. That connection is important.
    www.decl.org

Going to Council tomorrow.

Background

http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...-strategy.aspx

http://sirepub.edmonton.ca/sirepub/c...2042449752.PDF

WinterCity Strategy -
    For the Love of Winter: Strategy
    for Transforming Edmonton into a
    World-Leading Winter City

Recommendation:
    That Community Services Committee
    recommend to City Council:
    1. That Attachment 1 the October 23,
    2012, Community Services report
    2012CSS015, outlining the WinterCity
    Strategy, be received for information.
    2. That Administration work
    collaboratively with key partners and
    stakeholders on a detailed
    implementation plan for the
    WinterCity Strategy.
    Report Summary
    This report provides an overview of
    the WinterCity Strategy which is a
    community-led initiative that has
    been developed by the WinterCity
    Think Tank. The strategy sets
    direction to transform Edmonton into
    a world leading winter city and to
    encourage citizens to embrace and
    engage in winter.
    Background
    • The WinterCity Strategy is the result
    of a nearly year-long consultative
    process that was creative, diverse
    and broad in its reach. It is built from
    the ground up, reflecting local assets
    and issues, and telling Edmonton’s
    unique winter story.
    • In November 2011, a WinterCity
    Think Tank made up of community
    leaders (volunteers) was formed to
    lead the development of this
    strategy.
    • Embracing winter offers new
    opportunities: economically, socially
    and culturally. By adopting the
    WinterCity Strategy, Edmonton’s
    liveability and capacity to grow and
    advance the local economy are
    improved. While all ten strategy
    goals speak directly to winter, their
    implementation will positively impact
    the quality of life in the city year-
    round.
    • The strategy touches on many areas
    and it is also as much about shifting
    Edmonton’s culture as it is about
    changing the way we plan, program,
    develop and redevelop the city.

Strategy Goals:
    • The strategy identifies ten goals,
    each with a number of associated
    action items to be implemented
    (Attachment 1). The ten goals are
    divided into four themes or pillars as
    follows:
    Pillar A: Winter Life
    Goal 1 – Make it Easier to “Go Play
    Outside”: Provide More
    Opportunities for Outdoor Activity
    Goal 2 – Improve Winter
    Transportation for Pedestrians,
    Cyclists and Public Transit Users

Pillar B: Winter Design
    Goal 3 – Design Our Communities
    for Winter Safety and Comfort
    Goal 4 – Incorporate Urban Design
    Elements for Winter Fun, Activity,
    Beauty and Interest

Pillar C: Winter Economy
    Goal 5 – Increase the Capacity and
    Sustainability of Edmonton’s Winter
    Festivals

Goal 6 – Develop a Four-Seasons
    Patio Culture
    Goal 7 – Become a World Leader in
    Innovative Winter Related
    Business/Industry
    Pillar D: Our Winter Story
    Goal 8 – Celebrate the Season and
    Embrace Daily Living in a Cold
    Climate
    Goal 9 – Promote Edmonton’s Great
    Northern Story, Locally, Nationally
    and Internationally
    Goal 10 – Kick Start and Lead
    Implementation of Edmonton’s
    Northern City Strategy: Apply a
    Winter Lens to our City

Current City Actions:
    • From the City’s standpoint, much
    work is already underway
    contributing to the goals of creating a
    world-leading winter city. These
    include, but are not limited to:
    1. Providing many opportunities for
    winter recreation in the city.
    2. Supporting several successful
    winter festivals with the
    Edmonton Arts Council.
    3. Making significant improvements
    to snow removal practices.
    4. Examining and considering
    changes to the regulations for
    outdoor patios.

Next Steps:
    • The strategy offers a bold vision and
    has built momentum in the
    community. Edmonton is poised to
    become a truly great northern city,
    but will require sustained effort to
    realize its full potential as a world-
    leading winter city.
    • Pending support of City Council, the
    next step is to begin work on a
    detailed implementation plan.
    • To achieve the culture change
    envisioned, implementation needs to
    involve key partners including the
    Edmonton Economic Development
    Corporation, the Edmonton
    Federation of Community Leagues,
    the winter festival producers, local
    businesses, the media, thought
    leaders, not-for-profit and community
    groups, and individual citizens.
    • For many of the actions contained in
    the strategy, the recommended
    leads are either a WinterCity
    Advisory Council and/or a WinterCity
    Coordinator. The coordinator would
    take the lead in developing the
    detailed implementation plan, would
    liaise with others regarding the
    community projects that are quick
    wins, and generally focus on overall
    delivery of implementation plans.
    Policy
    • The WinterCity Strategy is directly
    referenced in The Way We Live.
    Strategic Policy Direction (5.2.5)
    which states that the City of
    Edmonton “promotes and celebrates
    winter and Edmonton’s status as a
    winter city”.
    • The WinterCity Strategy aligns with
    all of the six goals of The Way We
    Live that envision Edmonton as a
    vibrant, connected, engaged and
    welcoming community, as well as a
    safe and attractive city. These are all
    directly connected to the goals of the
    WinterCity Strategy.
    Corporate Outcomes
    • Transforming Edmonton’s Urban
    Form
    dmonton into a World-Leading Winter City

• Improving Edmonton’s Livability
    • Shifting Edmonton’s Transportation
    Mode
    • Ensuring Edmonton’s Financial
    Sustainability
    • Diversifying Edmonton’s Economy
    • Preserving and Sustaining
    Edmonton’s Environment
    Public Consultation
    • Through the work of a WinterCity
    Think Tank, a comprehensive public
    consultation process reached out to
    over 700 people in various creative
    ways, and has informed the Think
    Tank’s deliberations in developing
    the ten goals.
    • The multi-faceted consultation
    helped to lay the groundwork for
    implementation. The discussions that
    occurred were an important part of
    beginning to shift the city’s winter
    culture, and have generated energy
    and momentum.
    Budget/Financial Implications
    • Implementation of many of the action
    items in the strategy requires
    operating and/or capital budget
    dollars. These specific amounts will
    be identified and prioritized as a part
    of the work on the detailed
    implementation plan and in
    conjunction with the budget process.
    • Administration has submitted an
    unfunded service package for 2013
    ($362,000) to deliver on specific
    foundational components of the
    WinterCity Strategy including:
    1. the creation of a WinterCity
    Advisory Council to champion,
    lead and oversee implementation
    of the strategy
    2. a WinterCity Coordinator to
    support the work of the Advisory
    Council
    3. a variety of WinterCity community
    projects including City Hall free
    skate, neighbourhood and
    community league creative
    projects/events/workshops, public
    education initiatives to inform and
    educate people about winter life
    in the city (social media, winter
    mentor program, website, host
    "lunch and learns")
    • Support for this service package
    would help to protect the investment
    to-date and ensure the successful
    implementation of the strategy.

Justification of Recommendation
    1. The report demonstrates City
    Council’s commitment to transforming
    Edmonton into a world-leading winter
    city.
    2. Approval of the recommendation will
    enable Administration to determine
    the timelines and resources to
    achieve the goals and work
    collaboratively with other key partners
    and stakeholders on the
    implementation of the WinterCity
    strategy.
    Attachments
    1. For the Love Of Winter: Strategy for
    Transforming Edmonton into a
    World-Leading Winter City – The
    Report of the WinterCity Think Tank
    2. Edmonton WinterCity Strategy
    Consultation Summary
    Others Reviewing this Report
    • D. H. Edey, General Manager,
    Corporate Services
    www.decl.org

HOORAY!

Edmonton councillors warm up to the idea of a winter strategy

BY GORDON KENT, EDMONTON JOURNAL OCTOBER 23, 2012 1:09 PM

STORYPHOTOS ( 2 )

Participants in the 25-km skating marathon race at the 22nd Annual Silver Skate Festival & Winter Celebration held at Hawrelak Park in Edmonton on Saturday, February 18, 2012.
    Photograph by: Larry Wong , edmontonjournal.com
    EDMONTON - Councillors gave a big, gloved thumbs-up Tuesday to a winter city strategy encouraging Edmonton residents to embrace their coldest season.

“My family is on board,” Coun. Don Iveson told the community services committee, explaining they have skis and are planning an outdoor party in December.

The strategy suggests changes to the way the city and its partners approach the season, including how festivals are supported, how the city is marketed, and how roads and neighbourhoods are designed.

A volunteer think-tank consulted with the public and came up with a long list of recommendations, including skating through the river valley, taking more risks with snow and ice, and allowing jaywalking across neighbourhood streets.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...102/story.html
    www.decl.org

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Want me to like winter? I'm up for a good snowball fight! Let's bring this back:

Edmonton's Snowball Fight Tournament - Yukigassen Edmonton
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 26-10-2012 at 04:37 PM.

Council passed the WinterCity Strategy today. Councillor Diotte voted against.
    www.decl.org

..... What isn't he against....

Sigh
    Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 01-11-2012 at 01:55 PM.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Thank you Paula for your ringing endorsement.
    www.decl.org

^ is that the famous Ian Sarcasm showing?

I expected a clap clap clap
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

C2E Bandwidth Hog

This article?
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...072/story.html

She's a bit over-the-top with the "unwelcome in my own city" bit, but for the most part Paula is only reiterating what I've said before...you cannot social-engineer people into liking winter.

^ You can challenge their perception and attitudes and you can be pretty overt about it...

Winter isn't going away.... And someone has to start standing up and saying... You complain about the cold, you complain about the heat, you complain about the mud, you complain about garbage... When are you going to realize that you are just a complainer and nothing will make you happy.

Ps Not you directly sonic... You as in some random person

C2E Bandwidth Hog

^ That's precisely the type of overblown rhetoric that will only turn people off the concept of enjoying winter.

I would disagree... Challenging people and their beliefs is how we have changed a number of negative societal beliefs.

Calling people out is exactly what need to happen.

Change is rarely a passive activity especially when you are influencing perceived norms

C2E Bandwidth Hog

^ NO. Being all pontificating and pretentious about it will just tune people out.

What you do is really simple - give people reasons for going out:
    - Skating at City Hall, shinny in Churchill Square, pickup hockey, skiing, cross-country skiing, snowboarding
    - less athletic fun things such as snowball fights, snowman contests, making snow angels, crazy carpets, polar bear swims...these can be organized events or flash mobs
    - Heated patios, heated pools or public jacuzzis or man-made hot springs, bonfires, one horse open sleigh
    - mountain chalets in river valley
    - Freezing Man festival (good idea in concept if not execution)
    - String up festive lights on our bridges and our main streets to brighten our long nights
    - Clear the damn sidewalks, roads and trails of snow, mud and *****

Um you just said you can't manipulate people into liking winter and now you advocating for the manipulation of people into liking winter...

You have totally lost me. There is nothing pretentious about challenging the status quo. I think you totally missed my point.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

No, I am saying giving people more palatable options and choices for winter activities. That's different from desperately preaching down to them about liking winter. People seem to forget the sellout crowd at the 2003 Heritage Classic despite -30 temps. Give them a reason to come out and they'll show up.

In any case, here's Staples' take:
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...402/story.html

What your talking about is social engineering people to like winter... Which is the same thing you said you can't do...

I'm just pointing that out..

There are many different ways to challenge people's beliefs. You have have taken that to equal preaching, I'm telling that's not what I meant. I'm sorry if you took it that way.... By doing what you are sayi g you are challenging people to question their perception of winter.

We are saying similar things in different ways... But it is clear that you can social engineer people to like winter

C2E Bandwidth Hog

I'm just saying quit preaching, that's all. But that's more directed at Ian than you.

What about building that....skating thing, where people race against each other on a crazy ice course with hills and things. Red Bull sponcers the events in Quebec, good advertising for the City, challenging, looks crazy fun.......

Quote Originally Posted by stinger11 View Post
    What about building that....skating thing, where people race against each other on a crazy ice course with hills and things. Red Bull sponcers the events in Quebec, good advertising for the City, challenging, looks crazy fun.......
    http://www.redbull.ca/cs/Satellite/e...21243107920698

Co chair Simon Byrne in the Journal. Nice to have the positive vibe.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/opini...056/story.html

Toboggan hills officially open.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...pen-wednesday/

time to pull out my toboggan and then make an appointment with my chiro after !

^cant wait to hit them this weekend.
    www.decl.org

Simple things can 'make' people fall in love with Winter (or fall back in love with Winter).

Case in point. Students at St. Joseph's Seminary recently built a Snow Pope during the blizzard the other day.

Since then, no less than 4 people on my facebook have commented about it, saying it really brightened their day when they saw it on their commute. That right there is what will get people interested in going outside and doing something. At the very least it'll make them notice that instead of complaining about Winter it actually is possible to embrace it.

Doesn't have to be a religious figure. I'd like to see all kinds of snow people, signs, monsters, animals, etc. Anything, anywhere.

I can't help but think of the bit empty spaces in the middle of cloverleaf off-ramps, between the two sides of Terwillegar Drive, in schoolyards and city parks, on Diamond Park in the River Valley, etc. These are all spaces that could easily accomodate rather large snow sculptures.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Silver snow balls near the Quesnel Bridge! *** runs away ***

y'know that's not a bad idea.

Why don't a bunch of us go and make a snow version of the silver balls and put it right next to it? That'd be pretty funny, actually.

C2E Bandwidth Hog
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 19-11-2012 at 11:07 AM.

Keep an eye out for the Winter City Strategy/Next Gen winter patio party on Dec 8 @ the Public House.
    www.decl.org

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Yeah, here's your Winter Strategy in motion

http://www.edmonton.com/for-visitors...medium=twitter

The Downtown Business Association’s Jingle On Indoor Santa Parade Sunday, Dec 2, 2012, 10 – 11am
    Location Commerce Place (10155-102 Street), Manulife Place, (10020-101 Street) and Edmonton City Centre Mall (10025-102A Avenue)

Colourful floats, mascots, marching bands, dancers and others will jingle their way through Commerce Place, Manulife Place, and Edmonton City Centre Malls. The highlight is the arrival of Santa who takes a break from the North Pole for a pre-Christmas visit with all of Edmonton’s good boys and girls.
    Free candy for the kids. And best of all, you don’t have to worry about the weather!

There is going to be a Winter City/NextGen patio party on Dec 8 @ the Public House (indoor/outdoor) from 8pm to late.

Hope some of you can make it out, dress warm and be ready to party outside.
    www.decl.org

www.decl.org

I'm currently watching a repeat of the Red Bull Crashed Ice event that took place over the last few days in Niagra Falls, and after looking at a map of the track and where it actually fits into the city, there is absolutely no reason why we can't make this event happen here (logistics-wise).

This event is running from Skylon Tower to the bottom of Murray Hill. We have at least 4 or 5 potential locations that could potentially be amazing for this. That said, the obvious choice for this would be Queen E Park Road. It would mean closing it completely for probably a few weeks, but considering the Scona Rd/Walterdale Hill Rd options for detours I don't see this as that big a deal.

Ice/Snow Sculptures at the top in End of Steel Park to tie in to Old Strathcona
    Events/Concessions/etc in Queen E Park (accessible via paths and stairs)
    Bigger events/concessions/finish line in Kinsmen Park

Seating/fan zone on Dantzer's Hill and right along the road.

Legislature, skyline, new Walterdale Bridge/High Level Bridge in the background for establishing shots.

How are we not already doing this?

I was looking for some more activity downtown like probably skating in front if the city hall. That fountain looks like it can be used as a rink. Why us it not utilized? Also maybe a December long festival with booths and bands or carollers at Churchill Square?

the fountain is used as a skating rink. Maybe it's just not ready to go yet, but it's open to public skating every other winter.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

call 311 to find out when it will open for skating.

Wink

I've said for along time now. Bring red bull crashed ice here. It's awesome!!

Quote Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
    I was looking for some more activity downtown like probably skating in front if the city hall. That fountain looks like it can be used as a rink. Why us it not utilized? Also maybe a December long festival with booths and bands or carollers at Churchill Square?
    It is skating as mentioned... BUT we while we put pipes in underneath, we didnt build the ice place so they have a much more limited season than they could have had. It is a great feature, but needs to be promoted more.
    www.decl.org

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Soooo...how's everyone been loving this winter so far?

I think the city (or province) should be doing an ad campaign to get residents to enjoy winter more.

Something like 'embrace the winter blues' with pictures of blue blue skies when skiing in the mountains, or ice climbing/hiking past a pale blue ice fall, or pics of oilers fans (in blue), or?

^^ It's fall, winter isn't for two more weeks.
    Support the mob or mysteriously disappear...

For all intents and purposes, it is winter. The entire Northern Hemisphere doesn't magically start snowing on Dec. 21st, places get winter weather at different times. Winter is here in Canada, despite what the "official" season is.
    ----

So, So humourless and literal....

Yeah, 'cause your post wasn't literal at all. Sorry I didn't find the humour in stating when winter "officially" arrives, almighty and hilarious bulliver.
    ----

Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

I usually like winter though I don't do the winter sports. I like the cold and the snow. I usually don't have to do up my coat until -20C.

But this winter I'm mostly housebound because the streets and some of the sidewalks are glassy and treacherous. I've had several near falls downtown in the last month.

No one's fault because I know how hard sheet ice is to really get rid of and many efforts backfire. I've walked through salt induced slush which I know is going to freeze hard the next day to make an even thicker glacier.

Eve

C2E Super Addict

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    I think the city (or province) should be doing an ad campaign to get residents to enjoy winter more.
    Something like 'embrace the winter blues' with pictures of blue blue skies when skiing in the mountains, or ice climbing/hiking past a pale blue ice fall, or pics of oilers fans (in blue), or?

...They could just try not patronizing people - It's winter, it kind of sucks, you chose to live here, just deal with it?
    "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, it’s not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

Quote Originally Posted by bulliver View Post
    ^^ It's fall, winter isn't for two more weeks.
    I read this some place and aint it true: "I love living in a city with four distinct seasons. I just wish they were the same length."

The trees in my yard still think it is summer. Their leaves are still tenaciously clinging to them and never did fall.

Quote Originally Posted by edmontonenthusiast View Post
    Yeah, 'cause your post wasn't literal at all. Sorry I didn't find the humour in stating when winter "officially" arrives, almighty and hilarious bulliver.
    That's the thing about humour, it cannot be explained. You either get it or not. I would have thought anyone who's looked out their window in the last day or two would realize I was being ironic.

In any event...it seems every response I get from you _ever_ is nothing more than a petty questioning of semantics, followed by some passive-aggressive "you're so mean" comment after I've explained myself. Kindly ignore me in future, it is rather tiresome.

Isn't it that if you can't explain something, you don't understand it well enough yourself? People explain why they think something is funny all the time. Not to mention, I cannot read the tone through your words perfectly, this is the Internet after all, not a verbal conversation. It's not like your initial response was anything dandy, either, so you can cut the "oh I'm so mean" crap.
    ----

The Winter City/Next Gen patio party was quite fun on Saturday night, even with temperatures in the mid -20s. We drank hot cider, baileys and HC, butter rum and snacked on hot chili and cup a soups while dancing to some cool beats. The blankets from DECL were a nice addition and while some only braved it for a short period, many of us were out there for 2-3 hours. With slightly milder temperatures, I could see these being quite popular.
    www.decl.org

www.decl.org

^What an excellent Job NextGen organizer did on this event. It was cold, but they thought of everything else to make it as pleasant as possible.
    www.decl.org

Addicted to C2E

^ Agreed. It was loads of fun, even if my feet have never hurt that much at a bar before- from the cold naturally, not dancing up a storm. Next time I'm throwing fashion to the wind and wearing my MEC down booties.
    Mike

More of this here please (from Berlin)

(http://www.iamaberliner.de/bs2011/tl...it_snow_02.jpg)
    www.decl.org

Partially Addicted to C2E

winter market would work a lot better if we could walk around with a cup of glogg/gluhwein/mulled wine in hand

C2E Bandwidth Hog

CBC has a great show on winter living on right now. Now on Scandivanian winter urban design. Very cool. Will try to find a link. It's on Doc zone. http://www.cbc.ca/doczone/episode/life-below-zero.html
    Last edited by booster; 27-12-2012 at 09:47 PM.

Watched it, great show indeed.
    www.decl.org

Loved the heated sidewalks, but also that they leave certain streets with snow to keep the 'look' of winter. Also, celebrations of winter, like saunas, 'warming stations', and that dinner on the sea.

If we embraced some of these ideas, like heated patios, as one meteorologist commented, we could 'shorten' winter by 6 weeks.
    www.decl.org

And the heated sidewalks downtown were put in as sidewalks were being reconstructed. Ahem, Jasper Avenue.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast