Thread: Bizarre hotels a new trend in travel

Default Bizarre hotels a new trend in travel

Any suggestions for Edmonton? Alberta?

Bizarre hotels show a new trend in travel
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programme...ck/9672669.stm

I think its a great idea and that we could have a lot more imaginative efforts here.

The tree hotel concept would work very well in the foothills and with a view of the mountains and forest.

Also abandoned fire lookouts, grain elevators, nuclear shelters, even mines could be used here as well.

I'm amazed how little that old boats, yachts, plane fuselages or train cars get use here. In other parts of the world theres efforts to recycle these as living spaces.
    Last summer at Kootenay lake region we saw several examples of old boats converted to living shelters.

I see it not only as unique but a way to reuse, recycle, and develop limited footprint designs.

I'd like to see an Icehotel here as well.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Adds character, shows that the residents have character, or are characters.

Not that it it's accommodation related but I love the idea that the old bunker off 142 nd street might be restored or repurposed. Things like that add a sense of history to the community and stand out from generic facilities.
    Last edited by KC; 08-01-2012 at 03:47 PM.

When the new arena is built perhaps the Coliseum and that area could repurpose into a hotel? Probably would be cheaper to demo and build a new one on site, but just a thought.
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

Quote Originally Posted by Komrade View Post
    When the new arena is built perhaps the Coliseum and that area could repurpose into a hotel? Probably would be cheaper to demo and build a new one on site, but just a thought.
    On this issue, regarding the Rossdale plant building that was demolished... I didn't know that was the plan and was surprised to see it half gone. I'd have thought that they could have simply reclad the outer shell to get a better fit with the historically protected structure. Maybe cut big holes in the walls and created a novel 'green' building out of it or a covered park/sitting space.
    Last edited by KC; 09-01-2012 at 01:22 PM.

Yeah this is realyy new trend in hoteling and travel.