Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sears to close 100-120 stores in U.S.

C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

My disagreement is that they are keeping up when it comes to catalogue sales. This is an area that they should be excelling in as they have a number of captive markets (for example, rural as you state). But for some reason they have been dropping the ball there also.

I grew up in a rural environment where we ordered everything by mail order including things like fabrics and yarns which you would think would be awkward. It seems to me that back then when something was out of stock, it was pretty seamless to get something similar. I remember many times, Mom opening up a package of fabric and actually liking what they sent better than what she had actually ordered.

In comparison, recently I ordered a couple of dozen pairs of black cotton ankle socks. It should be clear that as long as (a) they were socks, (b) they were black, and (c) they were cotton, I would be happy with whatever they sent me. Instead, I was put on back order for several weeks. And then the order was simply cancelled. Sears website had other black, cotton ankle socks in other SKUs. In the end, I ordered from Lands End (my regular supplier for tops).

In fact, I have noticed that since Lands End was acquired by Sears their quality and service went down several notches.

I feel sorry for rural customers these days.

Eve

I'd rather C2E than work!

If you can't make any money paying $1 a foot for commercial space, you're as good as dead.
    I'm having people over later to stare at their phones,if you want to drop by

Quote Originally Posted by Barry N View Post
    If you can't make any money paying $1 a foot for commercial space, you're as good as dead.
    Barry considering they only have about 2 feet "on each customer" every 200-300 SQ feet in a store like the Sears in West Edmonton they are dead.......It is a VERY deep well they have fallen into and have almost no chance of getting out as the constant news coming out of them seems to state.

Two months ago Sears stated they were keeping Eaton Centre and today 'big" surprise. LOL.

Being an old merchandiser ,when I go into a store my priorities are...

* Good Prices
    * Well organized and well maintained displays
    * Merchandising that is exciting

Sears doesn't do it for me. Simon's on the other hand does.

Barry,

You hit the nail on the head. On all three counts! And when one walks through WEM on any given day the amount of Simons shopping bags one see's compared to Sears bags is astounding.

Even Hudson's Bay bags outnumber Sears in "count" comparisons. Hudson's Bay is working very hard in updating its appeal and success comparing to the lackluster attempts that Sears has constantly tried.

Stopped in to Sears [ W E M ] to have look around.

* More staff than customers
    * Still have lawn mowers on sales floor [ not a snow shovel in sight ]
    * 8' floor to ceiling display of disposable Keurig coffee refills
    NOT A SINGLE PACKAGED WAS PRICED.
    HOW THE HE*L DO THEY EXPECT TO SELL ANYTHING IF THE CUSTOMER DOESN'T KNOW HOW MUCH THEY ARE PAYING UNTIL THEY GET TO THE TILLS ?

Kingsway Sears has changed a few things, and it looks a) good and b) it was busy

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Kingsway Sears has been the Edmonton flagship for as long as I can remember.

Did they renovate recently, hello lady? I haven't been in there for several months, but that last time I was there, it wasn't very busy and the store had a very bargain-bin, fuddy-duddy feel to it.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I didn't see any renos, no. But they have moved things around. giving it a more roomy feel. New purses and boots that are in fashion, not so, as you said *fuddy- duddy* .

I wear what some people would call "fuddy-duddy" but if I'm going to go buying clothes in the real world, I want them organized properly. Also, I only like plain clothes so the green and pink striped with yellow floral motif t-shirts still don't have a customer here. (I'm fuddy-duddy, not fuddy-duddy fashion victim.) My attempts to shop at Sears (and at the Bay) have been foiled by them expecting me to forage through endless racks to find something wearable.

Eve

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Kingsway Sears has been the Edmonton flagship for as long as I can remember.

Did they renovate recently, hello lady? I haven't been in there for several months, but that last time I was there, it wasn't very busy and the store had a very bargain-bin, fuddy-duddy feel to it.
    From what I have seen at Sears in both Southgate and WEM they have "freshened" in their ways a more "clean" look in graphics on the walls with black simple lettering and very white walls. The same graphic typeset that you see in their Sears "Look" catalogues that come out.

But the product still seems bland to me and at Southgate the men's department in and around the jeans area is downright sparse, This my be due to work still being done in regards to "updating" the branches but a slap of paint and new signage is not nearly enough to attract new customers, New product, image, pricing along with a sense of selling what the customer wants or needs is what is making stores a success.

And as others have posted a lack of floor staff makes it rather difficult if you need info or help in finding what you want.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

One thing I was actually impressed with sears when walking through at Southgate the other day is they carry plus size clothes for women and have plus size mannequins on display. It was different. I am not a woman so it doesn't affect me one bit but I thought it was cool.

the sears in grande prairie underwent a reno not oo long ago and it's really nice and well organized, they however dropped electronics... and there are never that many shoppers in the store

Default November 12.. Sears sells off 8 more leases

Sears Canada will likely continue selling off its store leases including those held as joint ventures, according to sources. It just sold off 8 more store leases for a total of about $315 million in the province of Quebec, though these particular Sears stores will be staying open for now. Each of these leases is a 50% joint venture interest that Sears Canada holds with The Westcliff Group of Companies.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    We'll continue to report on the winding-down of Sears Canada, as our source speculates that the company may no longer be in operation by the Spring of 2014.

http://www.retail-insider.com/2013/1...sells-off.html

C2E Bandwidth Hog
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I really wonder when they will announce them bailing out of Southgate I am positive Ivanhoe-Cambridge is chomping at the bit to get Nordstrom in there.....

Quote Originally Posted by NielCole View Post
    I really wonder when they will announce them bailing out of Southgate I am positive Ivanhoe-Cambridge is chomping at the bit to get Nordstrom in there.....
    I would guess that more closures will be announced once the Christmas sales figures are in.

Sears is starting to setup data centers in their spaces in the US.

some fantastic deals to be had at their Kingsway location this week
    Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

It's hard to separate the hype and emotion from the facts... but fun to listen to it.

This is on Sears in the US:

Sears enters ‘death-spiral,’ retailer could be gone by 2017: Brian Sozzi

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/break...151232559.html

I refer you to posting # 106. Aside from the lawnmower comment,things remain the same. The aforementioned Keurig coffee pods were still not priced at Christmas ,even thou they were advertised in a sale flyer. Yes... it's a small thing,but it goes a long way into the way the store is run. Nobody is following up on things. They spend thousands printing and delivering flyers and yet the customer has no idea what is and isn't on sale.

Default Sears closing 27 stores

Sears Canada is reportedly interested in selling its 27 store leases in the province of Quebec. Sources say that these stores could be sold if Sears receives advantageous offers from landlords, similar to deals made in English Canada. Although Nordstrom entered the Canadian market through Sears lease purchases, we don't believe Nordstrom will take any of the Quebec leases.

http://www.retail-insider.com/2014/0...ll-its-27.html

there is rumour that US chain KOHLS could buy sears canada, they have apparently been wanting to expand into canada

I kinda like kohls, its a lot like sears without all the furniture and appliances etc. they have a lot of design partnerships exclusively available there

Some interesting information in this article. (Not sure if the stats are accurate.)

Sears Canada: Up To 25% Remaining Upside From Real Estate Transactions
    Jan. 28, 2014
    http://seekingalpha.com/article/1973...e-transactions

excerpt:
    "Canada has significantly less retail space per capita than the U.S. There is 14.6 square feet per capita in Canada compared to ... This difference comes despite approximately 1.7 square feet per capital in retail space being added in Canada between 2007 and 2012.

The limited retail space has contributed to high productivity, with Canada's malls averaging sales of $550 per square foot compared to $455 per square foot in the U.S. Nine of the top 15 North American malls (by sales per square foot) are located in Canada. An average Canadian mall would meet the sales per square foot threshold for a top-tier U.S. mall.

As a result,..."

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Another round of layoffs

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...821/story.html

TORONTO - Sears Canada Inc. (TSX:SCC) has announced a round of layoffs for the second time this month, eliminating 624 workers.

The struggling company said Wednesday the cuts will help improve communication and encourage more consistency within its operations.

Most of the reductions will be in middle management at Sears department stores, affecting an average of five employees per location, Sears Canada said in a release.

The company also said it will rework its regional and head office structure to reflect the latest changes and to align it with the smaller business.

Two weeks ago Sears Canada said about 1,600 positions would be affected as it moved ahead with plans to shutter its three Canadian call centres and reduce staff at its warehouses.

Sears Canada is trying to reduce costs and improve its overall business as part of a three-year turnaround plan. Last year, the company made a similar round of cuts that has lowered its overall employee count to around 20,000 people.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Interesting article on the death of so-called "middle class retailers" such as Sears

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/midd...ttis-1.2535685

Interesting article on the death of so-called "middle class retailers" such as Sears

I happen to be one of those middle class shoppers. I like stuff that does what it supposed to but I'm pretty immune from wanting status objects.

As a result, I find that most of my shopping, especially for clothes, is done online where there still are retailers that cater to people like me.

I remember wanting a frypan one day. I could get a cheap one at Safeway but I knew it wouldn't last. Or I could get a $200 one at this gourmet kitchenware store. Nothing in between. My old frypan will do for now.

Eve

I don't buy that explanation for a second. Lots and lots of "middle class retailers" are making a killing - Eddie Bauer, Lululemon, Canadian Tire, Bed Bath & Beyond, Best Buy, Trail Appliances, Sleep Country Mattresses, etc. Plus, Sears had their "catalog service" that used to be their bread and butter, but that has been taken away by the internet and the huge number of online retailers.

Sears is circling the drain because of their own mismanagement, not because customers are different.

Sears used to be very good at a lot of things, but they are not good at anything anymore - stores with dated decor, disorganized racks & shelves, lack of helpful staff, uncompetitive prices, lousy online catalog, poor aftermarket customer service (they don't repair appliances anymore), shoddy quality items (even their tools are cheap garbage now), and really have nothing special or unique to offer to anybody. Customers have been sending Sears that message for the last 15 years, but they don't seem to want to leave their comfort zone of 20+ years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    I don't buy that explanation for a second. Lots and lots of "middle class retailers" are making a killing - Eddie Bauer, Lululemon, Canadian Tire, Bed Bath & Beyond, Best Buy, Trail Appliances, Sleep Country Mattresses, etc. Plus, Sears had their "catalog service" that used to be their bread and butter, but that has been taken away by the internet and the huge number of online retailers.

Sears is circling the drain because of their own mismanagement, not because customers are different.

Sears used to be very good at a lot of things, but they are not good at anything anymore - stores with dated decor, disorganized racks & shelves, lack of helpful staff, uncompetitive prices, lousy online catalog, poor aftermarket customer service (they don't repair appliances anymore), shoddy quality items (even their tools are cheap garbage now), and really have nothing special or unique to offer to anybody. Customers have been sending Sears that message for the last 15 years, but they don't seem to want to leave their comfort zone of 20+ years ago.
    As someone who grew up in rural Saskatchewan where shopping meant mail order, I have to agree with this.

They still have the catalogue shopping online. And they have some really good products (the Kenmore line has always been at least an honorable mention in Consumer Reports), but some of the foibles on their ordering website are odd to say the least. As a for instance, when I am selecting a top, it demands I select a color before I'm allowed to select the size. In fact, the size is the determinant and I want to select among the colors that are available for that size.

Goods are often out of stock even before the catalogue hits my mailbox (I wish online retailers would stop insisting on sending paper catalogues but there it is). If they are routinely out of stock, that should be a signal to them of who wants to buy their stuff and what they want to buy.

I like the concept of picking up my stuff from their catalogue office but that has become such a depressing experience. The staff is so clearly apathetic and depressed.

All of these only require technical fixes rather than social engineering. I can't figure out why they don't want to get these things right.

Eve

Both Best Buy and Eddie Bauer have been having trouble for years. Eddie Bauer just finally finished restructuring and coming out of bankruptcy protection only a few years ago. Best Buy is having big troubles too... Bleeding money.

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post

Both Best Buy and Eddie Bauer have been having trouble for years. Eddie Bauer just finally finished restructuring and coming out of bankruptcy protection only a few years ago. Best Buy is having big troubles too... Bleeding money.
    I didn't know that. It's probably their fault for not attracting enough customers, too.

People are not shopping any less.

Cross boarder shopping is the number 1 killer of our National economy, other then here. That's why Ottawa wants to introduce parity so that the same iPad in the US costs the same here. The only way that's going to happen (imo) is for Provinces like BC and Ontario to get rid of their HST's (BC has to some extent, I think) pst's, green economy's that are sucking the life blood of our National economy, ahem. Having said that with more money in the hands of the consumer means more disposable income.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

That or a 85 cent dollar...

Default More bad news for Sears......

The company operating as Sears Home Services has gone into receivership, leaving 643 people jobless and putting into limbo $3-million in customer deposits for home installed goods and services ranging from carpeting to roofing.

http://www.thestar.com/business/2013...eivership.html

Sounds more like Sears rewards failure. The suits are filling up at the trough.

MONTREAL - Top Sears Canada executives saw their salaries nearly double last year as the chain fell short of performance projections and laid off thousands of workers.

The top five executives at the retail chain earned $4.8 million last year, compared with about $2.4 million a year earlier.

Welp, my shopping days at Sears for clothes are done.

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    Sounds more like Sears rewards failure. The suits are filling up at the trough.

MONTREAL - Top Sears Canada executives saw their salaries nearly double last year as the chain fell short of performance projections and laid off thousands of workers.

The top five executives at the retail chain earned $4.8 million last year, compared with about $2.4 million a year earlier.

No doubt more money will fall out of their parachutes when they eject.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Sears considers selling Canadian operations

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/sear...ions-1.2642331

Sears is considering selling its Canadian operations as the retailer continues with efforts to turn around its business.
    The retailer, which runs its namesake stores and Kmart locations, said that it is looking at strategic options for its 51 per cent interest in Sears Canada. The Hoffman Estates, Illinois-based company said this includes the possible sale of its stake or the entirety of Sears Canada.

Sears Canada's board and management say they plan to fully co-operate with Sears Holdings in the process.

Sears Canada spokesman Vincent Power said the announcement is an ownership matter and doesn't affect the running of Sears Canada stores.

"It's business as usual for us, and we are continuing to serve Canadian families coast to coast through our stores and our direct channels," Power said in an email.

"This morning's announcement is an ownership matter, not an operational matter, and our focus is on meeting the needs of Canadians for themselves and their homes," he said.

Hard to imagine who would want the whole thing. Macy's is most frequently cited, but I'm guessing they'd only be interested in about maybe a quarter of the remaining locations. Sears Canada already sold off most of the silverware (everywhere except Edmonton, that is.) And seeing what happened to Target, Macy's might need a discount that wouldn't be worth it to Sears.

The mall landlords like Oxford, Ivanhoe, Cadillac Fairview, (and 555) might jointly be interested in more locations, but even they know many of the locations are going to be a long-term struggle to lease against the big box model.

I guess there's always Wal-Mart...
    Let's make Edmonton better.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Lamphier: Sears Canada on the auction block

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...dmontonjournal

Most of what he says is spot-on.

Has anybody heard any rumours of late regarding Sears Bonnie Doon shutting down ?

^ Just came back from there this morning. Don't know if it is shutting down but it sure is in disrepair. The down escalator is out of service and there is no air conditioning.

All men's shoes are 50% off but it was too uncomfortable to stick around. The temperature is hotter inside the Bonnie Doon Sears than outdoors.

I was looking for a replacement 3/8" socket for a Craftsman set, nope they don't carry them anymore. I'll have to look elsewhere for quality parts.

Not sure how much you can blame one Ayn Rand but Eddie Lampert ran this company into the ground
    http://www.salon.com/2013/07/18/ayn_...sears_partner/

Really ?

Which one did you go to sundance ?

On Saturday Top_Dawg went into the hardware section at Sears Bonnie Doon.

There was a lot of empty shelves.

But they had a lot of tools.

Both Craftsman hand tools and power tools.

And prices looked to be marked down a lot.

Top_Dawg had a small paint job to do over the weekend and they didn't have any painting supplies.

Top_Dawg had to go to **** Depot for that.

But at those prices, Top_Dawg is going to go through his tool inventory this week and return to Sears to buy / replace whatever he might need in the future.

Bonnie Doon, their tool selection seems WAY down from what it was last time I was there (okay it was 5 years or so). And yup the A/C was off, employees were trying to make do with fans, I feel sorry for them.

Oh yeah.

No disagreement there.

Way down.

Lots of empty shelves so it looks really baren.

But still enough inventory to make it interesting, especially at those prices.

Bonnie Doon is now a Sears Outlet, rather then a proper Sears. It's where they send all their old shktako from the main stores to when they need to get it cleared to bring in next season's stock. I expect Bonnie Doon will be the first to close when Sears falls.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Have you guys checked their Kingsway location? That still seems to be the local flagship, for better or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    I was looking for a replacement 3/8" socket for a Craftsman set, nope they don't carry them anymore. I'll have to look elsewhere for quality parts.

Not sure how much you can blame one Ayn Rand but Eddie Lampert ran this company into the ground
    http://www.salon.com/2013/07/18/ayn_...sears_partner/
    Thanks Sundance for the reference to the article
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

This brings to mind a fabulous doc series BBC did called the Mayfair Set.

Reminds me also of a certain former premier of Alberta...

Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    Bonnie Doon is now a Sears Outlet, rather then a proper Sears. It's where they send all their old shktako from the main stores to when they need to get it cleared to bring in next season's stock. I expect Bonnie Doon will be the first to close when Sears falls.
    Yeah the way they crowd the aisles with shelves of 50% off items, it sure seems like a discount outlet.

Happy to report Sears Bonnie Doon now has working air conditioning. They must have got the new part.

C2E Posting Power

Ya I was there yesterday, it seems like an outlet or closing out sale atmosphere to the place. It's been dying a slow death much like the other Sears. I could see this one being the first Edmonton store to close or be sold to another company.

I wonder.

WEM and Southgate would be a lot more valuable to other companies in the near term.

Yet, Bonnie Doon does seem less valued by Sears themselves.

C2E Posting Power

No surprise here but usually this ends up in asset stripping. Would likely be the beginning of the end of Sears in Canada if it happens.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle19911875/

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Sears 2.0 you guys!
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/sears-...211500664.html

TORONTO, July 25, 2016 /CNW/ - Sears Canada Inc. (TSX: SCC; NASDAQ: SRSC) has made the following updates to its organizational structure to further support the Company's existing strategic direction.
    The Company remains fully committed to the re-engineering strategies formulated over the past year under the guidance of Brandon G. Stranzl, who continues to lead the organization as Executive Chairman. As announced on June 8, 2016, the re-engineering of Sears Canada focuses on four primary workstreams:

• Sears 2.0, which is reinventing Sears Canada's retail store format with a more customer-focused and relevant assortment architecture, designed to increase inventory turnover and enable a more compact in-store layout;
    • Initium Commerce Lab, a technology and software development initiative focused on building new I.T. architecture both to run all of Sears Canada and to facilitate new business ventures, including an updated digital commerce experience and expanded commercial logistics capabilities;
    • Real Estate Development, which will match the Company's real estate portfolio to better suit its needs under the Sears 2.0 designs to operate a profitable store-based retail business; and
    • Cost Structure, which will bring the Company's Selling, General and Administrative expense structure in line with its business.

I really wish Sears would just disappear. Such a waste of real estate.

Selfish and hypocritical (and suburban-dwelling) me keeps hoping they hang on to spaces in the non-Downtown malls to help prevent Nordstrom, Saks, and Holts from Southgate, WEM and Kingsway.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Sears Canada Changes Course, Launches Off-Price Strategy: http://ow.ly/uvFt30a8mbd

Versace and Tom Ford at Sears? That doesn't seem right. Haha.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12