Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sears to close 100-120 stores in U.S.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Default Sears to close 100-120 stores in U.S.

Sears Holdings Corp. announced Tuesday it plans to close between 100 and 120 Sears and Kmart stores due to poor sales.

A list of stores affected will be available at searsmedia.com once the retailer decides on the locations, but a Sears Canada spokesman told QMI Agency no Canadian locations will be closed.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2011/12/2...zens-of-stores
    I'm having people over later to stare at their phones,if you want to drop by

Another example of a department store that got "Wal-Marted".

^the only surprising thing is how long Sears has hung in there (same with the Bay, and Macy's in the US). I did a case study at university way back in the early 90's which involved Walmart being more successful than Sears with an IT installation, not a new phenom.

The only place I have seen traditional department stores still doing well, is in Japan.

Don't blame Walmart. Back in the 1990s Sears forgot who were their customers, their bread and butter.

In the past you could buy nails, paint, brooms, masking tape, furnace filters, etc. at Sears. They actually had a toy department too. Then in the 1990s some genius decided to make Sears an upscale department store and stopped selling the everyday items.

Canadian Tire has basically took on that retail segment that Sears once dominated. It's no coincidence there is a direct parallel of the rise of Can. Tire and the decline of Sears in the past 25 years.

Way back in the 70's and 80's Sears (aka Simpsons-Sears up here in the Great White North) was Canada's basic middle class department store that had a very solid customer base with its mid priced appliance, hardware, auto-centres, childrens clothes, furniture. The better clothes were at Eatons, Woodwards, The Bay or Simpsons down east.

In the 90's after the failure of Eatons and Woodwards and the merging of Simpsons down east with The Bay, Sears Canada tried to go upscale (also reinventing "eatons" around 2000 in various cities around Canada though not here in Edmonton)

I worked for the new eatons in Vancouver when it reopened in 2000 and it bombed. They tried carrying upscale brands to compete against The Bay and Holts and the only time shoppers flooded the store were when things went to clearance. The 'eatons' stores were then reflagged as Sears and downscaled again bringing in lawnmowers and lawn tractors, paint and hardware and lower end fashions to try to appeal to the trendy downtown Vancouver shoppers.

Obviously not many highrise condo owners in Yaletown or the Westend need a lawn mower or tractor and my fellow staff members and I always thought it was a very stupid H.O decision to do that. Suburban stores fine, but downtown stores? that is an idea that was dumb as a rock. If an office worker did shop in the lawn department on their lunch hour they did not pick up a mower or tractor and try taking it home on the Skytrain they would drive to Metrotown or Richmond Centre with their SUV and buy it there after work or on the weekend.

They also introduced dowdy cheap clothing lines that most shoppers did not buy and they could not sell unless on clearance. yet another mistake.

Closing the Auto-Tire departments to not rival Canadian Tire and not keeping up it's electronic departments to compete against Future Shop/Best Buy/Apple etc also cut sales severly.

Basically Sears abandoned its middle to lower middle class customer base to try to entice upscale shoppers which never worked, because no fashion shopper is going to buy a designer line and carry it home in a Sears bag when they can get decent sale prices at American chains, Holts, The Bay for the same brands etc etc. Upscale shoppers might be cheap but they do not want to look it (ie Sears bags)

The other thing is most Sears stores are dumps. While Southgate and Kingsway here in Edmonton are spacious and well stocked the ones at Bonnie Doon and WEM are small, crowded and not pleasant to shop in. They need to be renovated and expanded due to the immense growth of the city and the company hasn't done any renos or store openings anywhere in Canada in years. The North Hill location in Calgary still looks like the 1950's store inside when it originally opened as does the Metrotown branch in Vancouver. DATED!

Also they have downsized Canada's Sears "flagships" The Pacific Centre store went from a total of 8 floors to 4 and the TEC store has been shrunk from 9 down to 5 as well. Creating some very odd adjoining departments ie shoes buried next to lingerie (scaring male shoppers out)

The TEC Sears this past October was bleak and dull while The Bay (former Simpsons) across Queen Street looked as great and busy as it ever was.

When it comes to retail if you want to attract shoppers you need to follow a certain image "upscale or trendy" (even for discount stores) with the branches in downtowns and basic, lowcost, budgetwise in the burbs.

Sears Canada was once very prosperous due to the fact it was only 1 of 2 major coast to coast department stores left up here. But H.O in the States just concentrated on getting profits from Sears Canada to help keep the company running in the US after absorbing Kmart then losing out to Walmart, and Target in the American market. Now with Canadian shoppers bailing on Sears going to Walmart, updated HBC stores and the soon to be Target stores set to arrive next year Sears is in a very very deep hole.
    Last edited by NielCole; 27-12-2011 at 09:12 PM.

Addicted to C2E

^
    A very interesting background story to this. I believe there have been many squanderd opportunities here.

I think that it may be interesting if Canadian Tire made a bid for the Canadian Sears stores. They have been gaining traction with the Marks clothing line and the recent take over of Frozani's sports lines . They do seem to know how to connect with the Canadian consumer. Taking it to the malls would take it up a notch.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

The one big advantage that Sears has over HBC, Crappy Tire and Wally World is their catalog service and the pickup/delivery locations in many small towns. I know people out in the sticks who buy from Sears in that manner. And their Christmas Wish book still a strong tradition in many households.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Wal-mart is the reason why k-mart is closing down here in Canada couple of years ago.
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Quote Originally Posted by jagators63 View Post
    Wal-mart is the reason why k-mart is closing down here in Canada couple of years ago.
    Kmart bailed out of Canada around 1992 by selling most of its stores to Zellers. That was about 20 years ago.

My brother and I bought a Craftsmans snowblower from Sears last winter as a gift to our mom. We had it delivered to her house.

When the delivery people arrived, they were the rudest people I've ever dealt with. They were annoyed when I told them to put the snowblower in the backyard, instead of leaving the crate on the driveway. I was actually afraid to give them any flack because they knew where my mom lived.

I complained to the salesman about the rude service and he said he has heard a lot of similar complaints since they contracted the delivery service to another company. I was also told by Sears that I had to deal with the delivery company if I had any complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    The one big advantage that Sears has over HBC, Crappy Tire and Wally World is their catalog service and the pickup/delivery locations in many small towns. I know people out in the sticks who buy from Sears in that manner. And their Christmas Wish book still a strong tradition in many households.
    That is one of Sears remaining strong points is that they still have their Canadian catalogue stores and outlets in almost every small town in Canada.
    They ended the catalogue division in the US years ago.

However as we all know catalogues are morphing into websites as time progresses, so I will suspect overtime catalogue stores will vanish in small towns to be replaced by the website since it will reduce real estate, employee, franchise costs. As "non website converted" seniors catalogue only shoppers pass on there will be no need to actually have small stores in small towns.
    A sad prediction as technology advances among upcoming generations.

C2E SME

I haven't seen a K-mart in Canada for a long long long time now. I have to agree that the Sears in Bonnie Doon is pretty small and sometimes way over crowded. It would be nice if they could expand their space partially into the mall. I was there today and the sports mart is closing by the end of January. If done right Sears could expand into the mall a bit and take over that space which would significantly add to their square footage.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    My brother and I bought a Craftsmans snowblower from Sears last winter as a gift to our mom. We had it delivered to her house.

When the delivery people arrived, they were the rudest people I've ever dealt with. They were annoyed when I told them to put the snowblower in the backyard, instead of leaving the crate on the driveway. I was actually afraid to give them any flack because they knew where my mom lived.

I complained to the salesman about the rude service and he said he has heard a lot of similar complaints since they contracted the delivery service to another company. I was also told by Sears that I had to deal with the delivery company if I had any complaints.
    It's the same with Sears appliance repair people since they are not actually "Sears" anymore and if you have a complaint about the repair service you have to deal with the company contracted to service the Sears appliances.

Sears has made alot of mistakes in the past few decades and they never seem to be able to hire corporate staff to actually turn the company around.

They did really well when they were still in Meadowlark until moving to WEM in 1981. They sold that outlet to Kmart which was torn down after being bought by Zellers. Since Zellers already had a store in Meadowlark it was turned into seniors housing complex.

To me Zellers should have moved into the larger former Sears/Kmart store letting another company take over the older smaller Zellers space. Because Walmart is now going to take that Zellers once it closes and a larger Walmart at Meadowlark would have been a better option for the mostly senior customer base that still shops at the remaining stores there.

Sears Canada stores seem to be following what has happened to Sears in the US. The American stores have been sliding into the ditch for the last 15 or so years. If Sears lasts another 5 years I will be totally suprised.
    Last edited by NielCole; 27-12-2011 at 11:02 PM.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Quote Originally Posted by darrellinyvr View Post
    That is one of Sears remaining strong points is that they still have their Canadian catalogue stores and outlets in almost every small town in Canada.

However as we all know catalogues are morphing into websites as time progresses, so I will suspect overtime catalogue stores will vanish in small towns to be replaced by the website since it will reduce real estate, employee, franchise costs. As "non website converted" seniors catalogue only shoppers pass on there will be no need to actually have small stores in small towns.
    I can see catalog stores closing as they are replaced by online ordering.

But I hope catalogs themselves don't die out. One disadvantage with browsing a website is that you usually have to narrow down to specific choices; with a catalog you flip thru it for gift ideas for everyone from your grandpa to your niece, no matter the occasion. Besides, people still like to flip through catalogs, especially in bed or on the toilet!
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I can see catalog stores closing as they are replaced by online ordering.

But I hope catalogs themselves don't die out. One disadvantage with browsing a website is that you usually have to narrow down to specific choices; with a catalog you flip thru it for gift ideas for everyone from your grandpa to your niece, no matter the occasion. Besides, people still like to flip through catalogs, especially in bed or on the toilet!
    LOL. Downloading a retail website on the toilet could be risky. But seriously getting a catalogue or a flyer is easier/cheaper to keep when your searching for a gift by marking the page rather than re-searching and printing it off the website. I agree flipping through a catalogue sometimes is alot easier than clicking on a website with thousands of items.

That and back in the old days catalogues had a dual purpose I would really hate to see you use your laptop for that!

sears in the states is quite different from sears in canada - in the states its still down market - you can't buy high end makeup or perfumes at the sears down there - at least the ones i have been to down there

Quote Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
    sears in the states is quite different from sears in canada - in the states its still down market - you can't buy high end makeup or perfumes at the sears down there - at least the ones i have been to down there
    When I was a kid and we went to the states on holidays Sears in the 70's were much better than Simpsons-Sears in Canada as way back then they were total "All American" middle class stores. Yes Sears turned themselves into "lower end" type stores in the States during the 90's while the Canadian Sears still remained your total department store.

I think that is going to end because while Sears Canada remained profitable up until recently. Now that it is running out of gas here as well the HQ in the US is not going to be able to profit from it anymore and Sears Canada will probably sink like its US counterpart. They have spent around 20 years in the US trying to restore Sears in the states and it is not working they will end up failing up here as well because they seem incapable of changing how things are run.

As I said earlier I worked for eatons/Sears in Pacific Centre from 2000- 2006 and they slumped from a re-tried eatons down to a Sears then to a much smaller and dumpier downtown Vancouver location as time went on. If they have not renovated the TEC store in Toronto for years I'm going to guess that Sears Pacific Centre only recent renovations were the window replacements due to the Stanley Cup riots store looting in June. And that it looks exactly the same as the day I last saw it in 2008.

A Warren Buffett quote on Sears...

"Q: What is your opinion of the prospects for the Kmart/Sears merger? How will Eddie Lambert do at bringing Kmart and Sears together?

Nobody knows. Eddie is a very smart guy but putting Kmart and Sears together is a tough hand. Turning around a retailer that has been slipping for a long time would be very difficult. Can you think of an example of a retailer that was successfully turned around? Broadcasting is easy; retailing is the other extreme. If you had a network television station 50 years ago, you didn't really have to invent or being a good salesman. The network paid you; car dealers paid you, and you made money.

But in retail you have to be smarter than Wal-Mart. Every day retailers are constantly thinking about ways to get ahead of what they were doing the previous day.

Retailing is like shooting at a moving target. In the past, people didn't like to go excessive distances from the street cars to buy things. People would flock to those retailers that were near by. In 1996 we bought the Hochschild Kohn department store in Baltimore. We learned quickly that it wasn't going to be a winner, long-term, in a very short period of time. We had an antiquated distribution system. We did everything else right. We put in escalators. We gave people more credit. We had a great guy running it, and we still couldn't win. So we sold it around 1970. That store isn't there anymore. It isn't good enough that there were smart people running it.

It will be interesting to see how Kmart and Sears play out. They already have a lot of real estate, and have let go of a bunch of Sears' management (500 people). They've captured some savings already.

We would rather look for easier things to do. The Buffett grocery stores started in Omaha in 1869 and lasted for 100 years. There were two competitors. In 1950, one competitor went out of business. In 1960 the other closed. We had the whole town to ourselves and still didn't make any money.

How many retailers have really sunk, and then come back? Not many. I can't think of any. Don't bet against the best. Costco is working on a 10-11% gross margin that is better than the Wal-Mart's and Sams'. In comparison, department stores have 35% gross margins. It's tough to compete against the best deal for customers. Department stores will keep their old customers that have a habit of shopping there, but they won't pick up new ones. Wal-Mart is also a tough competitor because others can't compete at their margins. It's very efficient.

If Eddie sees it as impossible, he won't watch it evaporate. Maybe he can combine certain things and increase efficiencies, but he won't be able to compete against Costco's margins."

http://www.retail-worker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4231
    Last edited by KC; 29-12-2011 at 11:28 PM.

Addicted to C2E

Except for a few high-end stores and Wallymart, department stores are history. We get books from Chapters (or 2nd hand stores), appliances from a guy in Belvedere, clothes from Winners/Old Navy, utensils from Superstore/dollarstore, shoes from Payless, jeans from Wallymart......... and so on. Nobody I know of shops at Sears. We'll see if Target is any good!!

Btw, didn't know we had K-mart in Canada !

Quote Originally Posted by Cal76 View Post
    Except for a few high-end stores and Wallymart, department stores are history. We get books from Chapters (or 2nd hand stores), appliances from a guy in Belvedere, clothes from Winners/Old Navy, utensils from Superstore/dollarstore, shoes from Payless, jeans from Wallymart......... and so on. Nobody I know of shops at Sears. We'll see if Target is any good!!

Btw, didn't know we had K-mart in Canada !
    Chapter's yes. I would rather die than shop at cheap chains that has product that only lasts for about a month such as Old Navy, Payless, Walmart, Winners or Superstore. If you want stuff to last more than 3 washes you have to cough up some cash for it.

Dollarama is good for $1 cokes and that is it for me there.

Kmart. Used to be at Mill Woods Town Centre, Meadowlark, Abbotsfield, Northtown Canadian stores shut down around 1991/92

Chapter's yes. I would rather die than shop at cheap chains that has product that only lasts for about a month such as Old Navy, Payless, Walmart, Winners or Superstore.
    You do realize don't you that Winners sells the same brands you get in the Bay, Holt, etc.? Also, even the no-name stuff like Joe Fresh from Superstore is often made at exactly the same factories as what you pay 3 times the price for branded. I'll still buy brands because they are cool, but the quality isn't better in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    Chapter's yes. I would rather die than shop at cheap chains that has product that only lasts for about a month such as Old Navy, Payless, Walmart, Winners or Superstore.
    You do realize don't you that Winners sells the same brands you get in the Bay, Holt, etc.? Also, even the no-name stuff like Joe Fresh from Superstore is often made at exactly the same factories as what you pay 3 times the price for branded. I'll still buy brands because they are cool, but the quality isn't better in my experience.
    I rarely see any brands I want in Winners. The only times I did was when they opened the Winners in downtown Vancouver and they had some upscale brands for about 2 months then reverted to brands I never heard of (ie way too many 20-ish t-shirts and odd jeans brands)

That and shopping in Winners to me is also like pawing through the racks at Goodwill or Value Village without running into something vintage which can be cool. I am NOT a fan of retail stores who leave things on the floor because they have a hard time keeping up with the sloppy customers that hang out there. (Call me a snob) You can find stuff marked down or at a decent sale price at the Bay, BR, Holts etc etc etc IF you watch for it.

And since I have worked retail my entire life I know how to play the game well in regards to shopping better than most people.

Then when I eventually get tired of my stuff I either sell it off at a good 2nd hand store or donate it to the Diabetes Foundation so they can make a few bucks. Because I find stuff at "discount, bargain, cheap chic" stores usually do not last long enough to be reused by someone else anyways and I have plenty of dust, car wipe rags as is........

C2E Bandwidth Hog

I buy most of my clothes from The Bay because of their selection of brands and because they're downtown. Will shop at Sears for anything I can't find at the Bay. Have bought household stuff (appliances, linen, etc) from both places as well.

I've bought clothes from Winners but in typical bargain bin fashion I find they don't last long, or it gets ruined after just one cold wash. There's a reason why they are factory rejects from big labels.

I don't think department stores like The Bay and Sears will disappear. The idea of being able to buy clothes, cologne, towels and a toaster at one stop and one purchase still appeals to many.

^^ I was at the Bay Kingsway on Saturday. Every Winners I've been in is better organized and the selection is comparable. There were sample tables throughout menswear with clothes in piles. It looked like a bomb had gone off. Bonnie Brooks should be embarrassed. That store is an absolute disgrace to the brand. The manager should be fired. Nordstrom or even Macy's would clean their clock.
    Last edited by PJC; 01-01-2012 at 02:58 AM.

I've bought clothes from Winners but in typical bargain bin fashion I find they don't last long, or it gets ruined after just one cold wash. There's a reason why they are factory rejects from big labels.
    I understand most of Winners stock is from order cancellations or excess stock rather than quality. You often find brand names that are designs that are just a little less popular, or in a size that isn't so common. I haven't once had a quality issue with a Winners brand name product, I find they often stock same items as the Bay but considerably cheaper. The Bay has some good sales as well, especially the one in Toronto Eaton center.

^Kingsway Bay is very poorly managed compared to downtown.
    Last edited by moahunter; 01-01-2012 at 08:47 AM.

Your right in regards to mangement of each branch of a store, ie Bay, Sears, or Winners since its the management team that runs everyone to keep a store looking like a clean, attractive, retail establishment instead of a charity donation dumpster.

BUT. At this time of year it is almost impossible to keep up with the end of year, rude, pushy, clearance, discount, shoppers. These people all flock to stores like flies on poo when shopping at this time of year and we just cannot keep up with them tearing things apart.

Once the holidays are over people settle down and start acting civilized again when it comes to shopping probably because they have over spent and realize they cannot afford it. Then retail workers manage to get a handle on making stores look good once again and actually work on customer service rather than trying to process those people who fail to realize that they are not the only holiday shoppers at this time of year..

Though no matter what time of year I have gone into a Winners it is a mess. and having seen some of their US and UK division stores they are just as dumpy as the Canadian one. For some reason bargain alot of shoppers are just slobs.
    Last edited by NielCole; 01-01-2012 at 12:18 PM.

^ Any Winners I've been in has been no worse than the Bay Kingsway was. The management at this location needs to be fired. The Bay downtown sure wasn't in this state over this time period. Clearly, Bonnie Brooks still has a lot of work to do.

BTW, been to many Macy's in the States (who, it seems, the Bay is trying to emulate) over the holiday season, and I've never seen them in a state like the Bay Kingsway was. The retail standard is not even close to the same in Canada.
    Last edited by PJC; 01-01-2012 at 12:58 PM.

All the media talk about sears mention their lack of investment in the appearance of their stores. Are retail stores like restaurants where people willingly pay op for the 'atmosphere'? Seems to me that concrete floors and plain old racking works well for Costco.

My suspicion is that Sears problems relate to poor pricing, service, selection, advertising and this perpetuating perception that no one shops there anymore. I'm amazed that sears doesn't play with different advertising formats. Even the door delivery flyers reflect an unwillingness to vary from tradition.

Warehouse stores such as Costco (besides being members only) are expected to be "barebones" in regards to atmosphere in regards to interiors.
    Department Stores originated to be classy and upscale a couple of hundred years ago because that is what people liked.

Some customers do like places like Costco or Superstore to buy everything and that is fine, Others like Holts, The Bay, Sears, Macy's etc etc. Again that is fine there is enough market for everyone but in the past 3 decades in regards to department stores dozens have vanished both here in Canada and the States due to low sales, profit and or poor management and then being merged into the survivors.

Macy's in the states went from a regional store with branches only in New York, Northern California, Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, Kansas City and Atlanta to a national chain by scooping up failing local chains in the rest of the States to become a national behemoth. But that involved spending on expansion and upgrading stores so shoppers in all markets would still want to shop there.

Sears after being taken over by a non retailer investment banker who has used the chain just for a corporate ATM has let the once largest retailer in the States (and now Canada) slide so far back in regards to management, goods, and shoppers experience that people just do not find anything or want to hit the stores because they are dismal, poor product, customer service etc etc.

Department stores are still huge in the UK, Europe, Japan, S Korea, Australia etc because they adapt and progress to keep pace. The Bay is working at it but Sears has been sliding since the early 90's with poor corporate management, image, and market targets that encourage customers to shift their brand loyalty to other companies.

Sears needs a total spending revamp too upgrade its stores to what customers want like to see and spend as opposed to just what the H.O wants to pocket in profit. That is how retail works, image, spending and profit go hand in hand. And if you ignore your original customer sales base you loose it all period.

Of the 4 Sears here in Edmonton or the 5 in Calgary only Southgate, Kingsway, SouthCentre, Chinook are presentable and updated. West Ed, Bonnie Doon, North Hill, Deerfoot and Marlborough are tired and dumpy looking.

My relatives in Calgary are always totally amazed at how dated the North Hill store in Cowtown looks as it still feels like you have walked into a store from the 1950's because they have done virtually nothing in regards to both exterior and interior upgrades. They have plastered the new Sears logo on the outside but you can still see where the old Simpsons-Sears signage stood as the grit and discolouring was never cleaned off or refinished on the top of the store. I have been in there when I went to University in Calgary and it felt like you expected to hear Elvis Presley in the background music. Deerfoot used to be a Bay (until they took over the Eatons store in Sunridge) and it still looks like the Bay that opened in 1980 there with minimal reno's.

As I posted earlier the Sears at Metrotown in Vancouver is as dated as when it first opened in the 1950's as Simpsons-Sears. And that is along with 60's Orchard Park store in Kelowna, and the Sears from the 1960's in Saskatoon. Its like constantly shopping in a time warp across the chain with a few exceptions.

If West Edmonton Malls branch played The Bangles or Bananarama it would make it feel like you stepped back in time pretty much as well.
    Last edited by NielCole; 02-01-2012 at 12:25 PM.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Many years ago I refused to shop at Sears because they wouldn't accept any credit cards except their own.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Thumbs down

The service at Sears is horrific.I stopped going there some time ago

Made the wrong decision to buy a garage door opener. Right after installation it started to develop a high pitched hum. Contacted Sears WEM and was told that I would have to buy a new circuit board. I called Bravo Sierra on this and phoned the manufacturer, and within 48 hours had received a new board no charge. Sorry Sears you won't see me again

Many years ago I refused to shop at Sears because they wouldn't accept any credit cards except their own.
    Yeah that was a very bad move on their part since most people now avoid department store cards due to their extremely higher interest rates compared to Mastercard, Visa, Amex etc. You could use the Sears "invented" Discover card which is as common here in Canada as a Palm tree. They were very behind the times in accepting both debit and bank cards.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Time is running out for Sears Canada, warns analyst

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...rticle2347722/

Addicted to C2E

If Sears is trying to broaden their appeal by lowering prices, they would do better to eliminate those multi-level stores and go to a single-level with a consolidated cashier point at the entrance /exit instead of making people pay in a specific department. People don't have time for this nonsense.
    BobinEdmonton

If Sears vacates, it's a big hole for Canadian department stores. I could see Federated making a move into Canada (Macy's/Bloomingdales). They have contemplated it before but balked because of the low CDN $ at the time. That's not the case now.

Canadians just aren't department store shoppers.. IMO

it's a very USA thing.. and I get the feeling that any success they still have is due to nostalgia
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post

it's a very USA thing.. and I get the feeling that any success they still have is due to nostalgia
    It's cause our department stores in Canada suck compared to American department store. They just don't compare. Service, product, and shopping experience in American department stores are much better than here in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post

They seem quite popular in Europe and parts of Asia as well. Department stores also used to be more popular in Canada. So no, it never was nor still is not just a U.S.A. thing.
    ----

C2E Bandwidth Hog

HBC is still doing OK in Canada. Every time I'm in the Bay in City Centre Mall or Southgate, they are busy.

^ Correction: the Bay is doing great, but Zellers and Home Outfitters are not. Neither of those two stores are ever very busy it seems (Home Outfitters less so) and Zellers in particular is quite a trashy environment with the incorrectly labelled items, incorrectly placed items, and their merchandise strewn about.
    ----

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Zellers is all but dead now anyways, now that many of them will be replaced by Targets and Wal-Marts.

Quote Originally Posted by edmontonenthusiast View Post
    ^ Correction: the Bay is doing great, but Zellers and Home Outfitters are not. Neither of those two stores are ever very busy it seems (Home Outfitters less so) and Zellers in particular is quite a trashy environment with the incorrectly labelled items, incorrectly placed items, and their merchandise strewn about.
    The US owners of HBC are spending the cash to update and revitalize The Bay thats why they accepted the to sell Zellers to someone who could actually make the real estate those stores occupied work. Since after Walmart came north Zellers lost all hope of being Canada's "discount store" So selling to Target was smart.

In regards to Home Outfitters to me it was just a blatent Canadian copy of Linens and Things or Bed,Bath and Beyond. Though when Linens and Things went under in the States it killed ours too even though the stores up here were profitable. Thats why Bed, Bath and Beyond moved north because they knew they could dominate the market better.

Zellers will just be another soon to be forgotten name like Eatons, Woodwards, Simpsons, companies that thought that being "Canadian" would protect them from outsiders moving in to the market.

Sears Canada is screwed up because the head of the US stores is doing exactly what he did in the States, Cut back so much that a dominant retailer lost focus, service, customers, profitability because the stores have became disappointing in goods, service, atmosphere so he can milk as much cash for the stockholders. Sears Canada was profitable for years and now he wants to ruin it too so he can make some $$$ selling the pieces off.

Sears is a backwater retailer in the States now and he is performing the exact same act in Canada which is far more noticable because we only have 2 large traditional department chains left. Sears and HBC.

I worked for Sears in Vancouver after they tried to re-ignite Eatons and it has been slipping ever since because of it's corporate insanity. In retail to make $$$ you have to give the customers what they want not what you tell them they can have. Sears was solid and but now it's a confused mess that will end up in the retail graveyard sooner than we think.

Quote Originally Posted by bobinedmonton View Post
    If Sears is trying to broaden their appeal by lowering prices, they would do better to eliminate those multi-level stores and go to a single-level with a consolidated cashier point at the entrance /exit instead of making people pay in a specific department. People don't have time for this nonsense.
    they've been changing the sears stores here - well i have only been to one store recently and it was changed to a single or central cash place sort of like the bay did a number of years ago and than abandoned recently to put cashiers back into departments

The US owners of HBC are spending the cash to update and revitalize The Bay thats why they accepted the to sell Zellers to someone who could actually make the real estate those stores occupied work. Since after Walmart came north Zellers lost all hope of being Canada's "discount store" So selling to Target was smart.

In regards to Home Outfitters to me it was just a blatent Canadian copy of Linens and Things or Bed,Bath and Beyond. Though when Linens and Things went under in the States it killed ours too even though the stores up here were profitable. Thats why Bed, Bath and Beyond moved north because they knew they could dominate the market better.

Zellers will just be another soon to be forgotten name like Eatons, Woodwards, Simpsons, companies that thought that being "Canadian" would protect them from outsiders moving in to the market.

Sears Canada is screwed up because the head of the US stores is doing exactly what he did in the States, Cut back so much that a dominant retailer lost focus, service, customers, profitability because the stores have became disappointing in goods, service, atmosphere so he can milk as much cash for the stockholders. Sears Canada was profitable for years and now he wants to ruin it too so he can make some $$$ selling the pieces off.

Sears is a backwater retailer in the States now and he is performing the exact same act in Canada which is far more noticable because we only have 2 large traditional department chains left. Sears and HBC.

I worked for Sears in Vancouver after they tried to re-ignite Eatons and it has been slipping ever since because of it's corporate insanity. In retail to make $$$ you have to give the customers what they want not what you tell them they can have. Sears was solid and but now it's a confused mess that will end up in the retail graveyard sooner than we think.
    at one point didn't the new US owners try to sell off homeoutfitters? they sold off one brand - designer outlet something - they only had stores in ontario though

they have made some improvements with the stores, at least here they have, they aren't that great and i find it odd that they carry Linen's N Things branded products since that brand died years ago

at one point didn't the new US owners try to sell off homeoutfitters? they sold off one brand - designer outlet something - they only had stores in ontario though

they have made some improvements with the stores, at least here they have, they aren't that great and i find it odd that they carry Linen's N Things branded products since that brand died years ago
    No the bargain "Designer Outlets" branches we had here in Edmonton and Calgary too. The Company that owns Fairweather as well as the copy cat "Target Canada" bought them.

Because the Big Box Mall on Stony Plain Road with a Best Buy and a Home Outfitters had the "Designer Outlet" formerly owned by HBC right next door.
    SEC had one as well. I went in once nothing but garbage brands I never heard of in their obviously that is why it failed.

Home Outfitters are OK. Just average, I had to buy a wedding present last week for my cousin because that is where they registered but yes they did manage to land some things that still say Linens N Things.... The Bed,Bath and Beyond is closer and has better deals. And the Crate&Barrel at Southgate is far better for house branded "upscale" things in regards to dishware, cutlery etc and it is swamped all the time.

I noticed an ad in the Journal this morning that Sears is closing its outlet store in Mill Woods Town Centre. They can't even keep the outlet part of the chain working "right" either.

Default Sears to close stores in 3 Cdn cities

TORONTO - Sears Canada Inc. (TSX:SCC) is shutting the doors of three of its department stores in major Canadian cities and selling back the leases to the landlord for $170 million.
    The retailer said Friday that locations in Vancouver, Calgary and Ottawa will close by the end of October. A representative for the company could not immediately be reached to comment on whether Sears was planning to lay off staff.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...141170423.html

Quote Originally Posted by Barry N View Post
    TORONTO - Sears Canada Inc. (TSX:SCC) is shutting the doors of three of its department stores in major Canadian cities and selling back the leases to the landlord for $170 million.
    The retailer said Friday that locations in Vancouver, Calgary and Ottawa will close by the end of October. A representative for the company could not immediately be reached to comment on whether Sears was planning to lay off staff.

AH! Barry you beat me to it!

I worked for Sears in Pacific Centre in Vancouver when they reopened as the new "eatons" changed it to Sears then steadily downgraded the store because they were not getting the customers they had hoped for. Obviously Rideau Centre in Ottawa was in the same boat since it was originally Eatons then "eatons" as well.

Chinook is a BIG suprise as it is Cowtowns largest mall and has the largest Sears. If they were closing one in Calgary I would have thought it would have been either Marlborough or North Hill because they are very very dated and could have been served by the Deerfoot store. But I suppose with South Calgary having Southcentre as well Sears will expect all those shoppers to head further south to Southcentre. Chinooks mall management will now have to seek out a tenant but perhaps that will just encourage them to get a Simons into Chinook faster now and build up Chinooks rep as Calgarys premier centre .

C2E Bandwidth Hog

If the time comes, I wonder which Sears will close in Edmonton first. Bonnie Doon?

If the time comes, I wonder which Sears will close in Edmonton first. Bonnie Doon?
    Either West Ed or Bonnie Doon since both are smaller and crowded and basically are dumps. I'm going to guess West Ed since it is pathetic. Also from this part of town it is an easy drive to Southgate via the Whitemud.

Either West Ed or Bonnie Doon since both are smaller and crowded and basically are dumps. I'm going to guess West Ed since it is pathetic. Also from this part of town it is an easy drive to Southgate via the Whitemud.

Sorry about my speediness I have to agree with you about W E M Sears thou. You can almost sense that something is coming at W.E.M , I was there about 2 weeks ago and walked thru the hardware area. There are almost as many empty pegboard hooks as there are full ones,and the full ones are not even close to be being full. There are sections of pegboard with nothing on them. Why they are still in the hardware business is beyond me. Pretty hard to compete with Can Tire/Rona/Home Depot. Amazingly they still carry TV's and bed [ something that The Bay dumped a year ago ].

C2E Posting Power

I worked for Sears in Pacific Centre in Vancouver when they reopened as the new "eatons" changed it to Sears then steadily downgraded the store because they were not getting the customers they had hoped for. Obviously Rideau Centre in Ottawa was in the same boat since it was originally Eatons then "eatons" as well.

Chinook is a BIG suprise as it is Cowtowns largest mall and has the largest Sears. If they were closing one in Calgary I would have thought it would have been either Marlborough or North Hill because they are very very dated and could have been served by the Deerfoot store. But I suppose with South Calgary having Southcentre as well Sears will expect all those shoppers to head further south to Southcentre. Chinooks mall management will now have to seek out a tenant but perhaps that will just encourage them to get a Simons into Chinook faster now and build up Chinooks rep as Calgarys premier centre .
    CF saw an opportunity to get rid of a large, lagging tenant and took it. I am not surprised at all that Chinook Sears is out. To put things in perspective, the Apple Store at Chinook Centre at around 3,000 sq ft does more sales (overall dollars, not just psf) then the entire Sears Store at Chinook. Dont be surprised if you see a Nordstom sign up there before long.

Sears stated that it had no plans to close these three stores - but that the offer from Cadillac Fairview was too good to pass up. The headlines are misleading - its not so much "Sears is closing stores" but rather "Cadillac is buying three of their best locations".

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Given they are high-profile locations, this probably means Cadillac Fairview has another major retailer wanting those spots. Simons, maybe? or Nordstrom?

rumour in vancouver is nordstrom has picked up the 3 locations already - we should hear something soon

Sears would have been stupid to turn down $170 million for their leases

sears as also said they are planning new formats in the cities affected as well as other markets

He said the deal offers Sears an “attractive financial benefit” allowing it to focus on new prototypes at other locations to build on its strengths. He outlined four new formats that Sears will soon start to test, including four conventional department stores, expanded franchised “dealer” stores in smaller communities and a larger-than-usual home-goods store in Ottawa.

He said the sales results in the three stores that will close failed to reflect Sears’ strengths, particularly in the categories of appliances, furniture and mattresses. And in each of the three cities, the retailer has other nearby stores.

In all 3 locations i'm going to bet on Simons grabbing the space first (at least in the Calgary and Ottawa stores) for 3 reasons.

1 Since they are opening a Simons in Edmonton this year another one in Calgary shortly there after makes their distribution smarter.

2 Ottawa is close to the chains Quebec stores and they already know the store well.

3 A Simons beating out Nordstrom in the Vancouver market gives them a better chance of getting stronger market share before Nordstrom tries to move in.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanS View Post

CF saw an opportunity to get rid of a large, lagging tenant and took it. I am not surprised at all that Chinook Sears is out. To put things in perspective, the Apple Store at Chinook Centre at around 3,000 sq ft does more sales (overall dollars, not just psf) then the entire Sears Store at Chinook. Dont be surprised if you see a Nordstom sign up there before long.
    According to the Saturday Globe and Mail "though its online now" Nordstrom is also actively in talks and seeking space in Yorkdale in Toronto and West Edmonton Mall. I can see Sears leaving West Ed in the next round of cuts. Leaving just the two large ones Kingsway and Southgate.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

I think the Kingsway Sears would be their last man standing. With 3 floors, that's pretty much their flagship store for northern Alberta.

In all 3 locations i'm going to bet on Simons grabbing the space first (at least in the Calgary and Ottawa stores) for 3 reasons.

1 Since they are opening a Simons in Edmonton this year another one in Calgary shortly there after makes their distribution smarter.

2 Ottawa is close to the chains Quebec stores and they already know the store well.

3 A Simons beating out Nordstrom in the Vancouver market gives them a better chance of getting stronger market share before Nordstrom tries to move in.
    according to rumours the spaces have already been leased to nordstrom and aren't on the market

Yes Kingsway has 3 floors but so does Southgate each store would be able to more serve one half of the city. As I said earlier if Sears manages to control its problems you will see it bow out of many smaller mall locations in cities across Canada.

The interesting thing is this is the second time Sears has tried DT Vancouver then quit it. When Eatons moved off of Granville Street to the Pacific Centre location Sears then tried a downtown store on Hastings in the old Eatons store in the 1970's it lasted 8 years then closed becoming the Simon Fraser downtown campus.

When they took over the former Eatons site in 2000 as the new "eatons" it lasted 2 years before being reflagged as Sears and while I worked for them they shrank it from 8 floors to 5 over gradual period of time. In 2006 they laid off a large amount of Sears employees across the country (including me) because sales were on a downward spiral which has continued to the present.

Sears lost its focus as a "moderate" general department store in Canada trying to fill the voids that were created with the disappearance of both Eatons and Woodwards by hitting the downtown cores of several cities in 2000.

Vancouver, Toronto (both Eaton Centre and Yorkdale), Victoria, Calgary DT, Ottawa, Winnipeg (Polo Park) got the splashy new retrofits of "eatons" that just did not work. Calgary's downtown eatons/Sears along with Victoria's vanished first, turning into the new "temp" Holts in Calgary while the newest one was built and opened a couple years ago. They also sold to HBC in DT Victoria the rest were re- fitted into Sears.

I'm not suprised at all with Cadillac-Fairview paying out $170m to Sears to unload an increasingly tepid anchors in very upscale malls though Chinook did suprise me a bit because Sears has been there since 1962.

In once respect Edmonton "looking back at 2000" was lucky we skipped the "eatons" phase after the former Woodwards/Eatons stores located at Southgate by going directly to a Sears. It's been more stable with one less branding than other errors in Sears branding goofs.

I really suspect that Nordstrom will try to get the Pacific Centre Space or split it with Simons. But Simons will get Ottawa due to the closeness to Quebec and Calgary will be an easy tag for Simons since they are building a store up here already. Nordstroms first step into Canada will be a combination of major cities with vibrant downtowns (Vancouver and Toronto) or perhaps large world class sized malls (Yorkdale, WEM, TEC, or Metropolis in YVR) Chinook while being the largest in Calgary is still smaller than several others scattered around the country.

But it will be interesting to see who gets what and where. Once Sears vacates its first 3 of what I suspect will be many more......

according to rumours the spaces have already been leased to nordstrom and aren't on the market
    Doubtful Nordstrom will not fill a huge space like DT Vancouver for its "first" store in the country because they no longer do giant flagships in the states like that either. As I said it would be smarter for Cadillac-Fairview to split it into 2 brands in case one of them do not work. It's only "rumour" so far time will tell.

There have also been the rumours for years that both Macy's and JCP are moving north and it hasn't happened. Canadian shoppers are tighter than American shoppers and while yes we love to shop there while in the States once the brands move up here we lose the "glamour" of them because we can shop them everyday.

(ie) A&F, GAP, Banana Republic (outlet too!), Best Buy, Sears, Walmart, Aeropostale, Hollister, American Eagle, Bed Bath& Beyond, Old Navy, Coach, Michael Kors, Pottery Barn, Restoration Hardware, Forever XXI, Victoria's Secrest, PINK to name just a few. They have become ordinary.

Presently we still are addicted to Apple (like the entire planet), Crate&Barrel and the soon to open Targets will be "new" hot shopping for a while.

Those are just the US brands, Personally I like that we are landing the euro/Brit brands like Zara, ****, Thomas Sabo, H&M because they are newer. Though I would kill for Next, Superdry, Ben Sherman, WE (from Belgium) to open stores because they are different. But we will get bored of them too look at how exciting hmv is now. LOL.

It works both ways while living the the UK I always saw shoppers wet themselves over getting GAP, Disney Stores, Banana Republic, Hollister, Polo Ralph Lauren, A&F, ALDO because they are not as common as muck like Debenhams, or M&S (which we once had too). I read last week Debenhams is getting Nautica exclusively. OH Goodie!
    Last edited by NielCole; 03-03-2012 at 03:13 AM.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

In once respect Edmonton "looking back at 2000" was lucky we skipped the "eatons" phase after the former Woodwards/Eatons stores located at Southgate by going directly to a Sears. It's been more stable with one less branding than other errors in Sears branding goofs.
    I read somewhere that back around 2000, the CEO of Sears Canada scouted downtown Edmonton for a new Sears/eatons location and determined that downtown was too dead to support a Sears.

C2E SME

^well I don't doubt that he would have found the downtown dead at that time. I wonder what their thoughts would be now. And if Sears or another major retailer did want to come downtown I wonder where they would go?

Well in this day and age, Retailers move in to "new" markets usually by acquiring existing properties to open up a new store I would say whenever a company such as Nordstrom, Macy's or JCP decide to move into Canada they will not be building new structures as that era is over.

Since our former Bay and Woodwards spaces downtown have been totally gutted then converted to other uses such as University Square and the CBC studios etc. It would be too much cash and work to try to convert them back to retail.

The only true major retail space that downtown has left that could be coverted to an possible "upscale" site as Nordstroms, Macys or even JCP is the former Army&Navy building across from the courthouse on 97th Street and that is not where any of them would even consider setting up shop.

The retail business has evolved into taking over existing spaces from vacated or taken over firms to basically redo the insides and slap on a new banner across the front door. If Sears, HBC or even Holts cough and roll over in the future then you will see a change in "who is hot downtown" in major cities across the country.

As the article in todays Globe and Mail mentioned Nordstrom is keen to open in WEM when they head across the border and that means "to me anyways" the Sears space. Sears said in the Journal that they have no intention of closing more stores but this is a first step in trying to regain market share and by consolidating traffic into the remaining suburban "flagships" around the country means leaving the smaller locations that need the most help.

If they bailed for the second time on DT Vancouver it makes me really interested on how the TEC store in Toronto will manage because they have shrunken it down in size the same way as Pacific Centre in YVR. Walking through it last November the crowds were sparse while the mall and HBC were crowded.

Time will tell.
    Last edited by NielCole; 03-03-2012 at 10:42 AM.

Addicted to C2E

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    ^well I don't doubt that he would have found the downtown dead at that time. I wonder what their thoughts would be now. And if Sears or another major retailer did want to come downtown I wonder where they would go?
    Even deader.
    BobinEdmonton

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by bobinedmonton View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    Even deader.
    Well I don't know how you can say even deader as since then there have been a ton of people moving into the core and more buildings to attract even more people are being built. Restaurants and businesses are moving back to the downtown area. Overall the downtown has been improving, not declining.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

As the article in todays Globe and Mail mentioned Nordstrom is keen to open in WEM when they head across the border and that means "to me anyways" the Sears space. Sears said in the Journal that they have no intention of closing more stores but this is a first step in trying to regain market share and by consolidating traffic into the remaining suburban "flagships" around the country means leaving the smaller locations that need the most help.
    If Nordstrom opens in the Sears space, it would certainly help attract shoppers to that part of WEM. I've noticed that Phase I is always quieter compared with the other side.

happen to saw today journal paper that sears is closing at chinook mall in Calgary, Toronto and Vancouver.
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

C2E Posting Power

If it wasnt in a Sears location, WEM could easily accomodate Nordstrom in a high profile location elsewhere in the mall. 555 moved mountains to accomodate the Simons store, Nordstrom's profile and customer attracting power is considerbly higher. Yorkdale also has yet another major expansion project underway which could accomodate such an anchor. This Sears transaction appears to be the last piece of the puzzle for a major national roll out of a major retailer.

If Nordstrom opens in the Sears space, it would certainly help attract shoppers to that part of WEM. I've noticed that Phase I is always quieter compared with the other side.
    Exactly Phase 1 needs to get back to being attractive as a "anchor" end of the mall. Yes it does have some attractions retail wise such as HBC, Harry Rosen and the upcoming Target which will draw customers back to that end of the mall. A Nordstrom in the existing Sears would really help balance the mall out.

HBC, Target, Nordstrom in the eastern section, Simons, an improving Europa Boulevard, Scotiabank theatres in the western section. With popular new or current extended brands opening along the full length of the mall evenly (ie JCrew, expanded Apple store, etc etc)

That is if Triple5 plays thier cards right.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanS View Post
    If it wasnt in a Sears location, WEM could easily accomodate Nordstrom in a high profile location elsewhere in the mall. 555 moved mountains to accomodate the Simons store, Nordstrom's profile and customer attracting power is considerbly higher. Yorkdale also has yet another major expansion project underway which could accomodate such an anchor. This Sears transaction appears to be the last piece of the puzzle for a major national roll out of a major retailer.
    It they added a 3rd level it would give more floor space to juggle tenants around as well to attract other chains not yet here. Nordstrom, Pottery Barn, Express, and the forever rumoured Macy's and JCP Canadian expansions.

Quote Originally Posted by jagators63 View Post
    happen to saw today journal paper that sears is closing at chinook mall in Calgary, Toronto and Vancouver.
    Go back to quote #50

Doubtful Nordstrom will not fill a huge space like DT Vancouver for its "first" store in the country because they no longer do giant flagships in the states like that either. As I said it would be smarter for Cadillac-Fairview to split it into 2 brands in case one of them do not work. It's only "rumour" so far time will tell.

There have also been the rumours for years that both Macy's and JCP are moving north and it hasn't happened. Canadian shoppers are tighter than American shoppers and while yes we love to shop there while in the States once the brands move up here we lose the "glamour" of them because we can shop them everyday.

(ie) A&F, GAP, Banana Republic (outlet too!), Best Buy, Sears, Walmart, Aeropostale, Hollister, American Eagle, Bed Bath& Beyond, Old Navy, Coach, Michael Kors, Pottery Barn, Restoration Hardware, Forever XXI, Victoria's Secrest, PINK to name just a few. They have become ordinary.

Presently we still are addicted to Apple (like the entire planet), Crate&Barrel and the soon to open Targets will be "new" hot shopping for a while.

Those are just the US brands, Personally I like that we are landing the euro/Brit brands like Zara, ****, Thomas Sabo, H&M because they are newer. Though I would kill for Next, Superdry, Ben Sherman, WE (from Belgium) to open stores because they are different. But we will get bored of them too look at how exciting hmv is now. LOL.

It works both ways while living the the UK I always saw shoppers wet themselves over getting GAP, Disney Stores, Banana Republic, Hollister, Polo Ralph Lauren, A&F, ALDO because they are not as common as muck like Debenhams, or M&S (which we once had too). I read last week Debenhams is getting Nautica exclusively. OH Goodie!
    sears vancouver is what 600,000 sq ft? most nordstroms are aroun 200,000

most speculate that pac centre will divide the building up with nordstrom taking up the top 3 or 4 floors sort of like their store is in san francisco and the bottom floors being renovated into more mall space or some other flagship stores

going to be exciting

Yes Sears in Pacific centre had 600,000 Square feet (including the closed off upper floors) Just because Nordstrom is planning on opening up here in the Great White North do not expect them to wave the magic wand and open a huge 200,000 square foot branch right off the mark.

They will be more cautious than that and open slightly smaller stores to see how they do first up here, Then they will expand into larger locations if it is profitable enough. Canadians may love to shop at Nordstrom when they are south of the border on a shopping weekend but it all depends on how Nordstrom offers price, selection, and service in the Canuck stores vs the Yankie branches. We love labels and brands but we are also a lot tighter when it comes to forking over the cash.

The most recent example US expansion example was J Crew and its first store in T.O last summer people were really put off because the prices were between 20-40% higher than the US prices and they had to back down.

Our taxes, wages and operating costs are higher because our market is only about 34 million people scattered around a much larger country than the US with nearly 309 Million.

I love some of US branded stores they offer in WEM, BUT I do not rush in and pay an extra $20-30 bucks on a brand new shirt from A&F or BR, I'll bloody well wait a couple of weeks until it goes on sale "If" it hits a 30-40% off sale price then it is mine..

Last week BR had a promotion where you could pick a coupon from the employee either 20-30-50% off an item, Since one of the sales guys knew I was a regular and I worked in the mall he gave me the 50% off one trading it for the 30% I picked. So I got a phenomenal zip up navy sweater for about $44 after tax. The next day on my way to work I gave him 2 25% off coupons from my store. That is good shopping!

So if Nordstrom know how Canadians shop they will do fine. But aside from those "holiday" buys when we cross the line and hit a US mall we do not shop like that here all the time. At home we are far more thrifty and clever in getting what we want for a decent price....generally.

Also since so many Vancouverites hit the Seattle store opening a huge new one in Vancouver might really cause a drop in sales at the Seattle flagship because it is far closer to drive from YVR to SEA. Edmonton and Calgary both only have either Great Falls, Montana or Spokane Washington to drive to in 9-12 hours and they are hardly what you would call shopping "meccas'

Since Alberta is well to do and both large markets far more isolated Nordstrom would probably risk more here to some extent space wise.

articles i read pointed to that fact that nordstrom online does a large online business in canada and is why they want in and being able to track shipments into canada they can pin point where a store would thrive

whatever happens all the talk is the deal has been made with cadillac fairview already and they will take over the 3 vacating sears stores

CB2 opened a couple weeks ago in vancouver and their prices are really good and many seem to the same as their US stores

there is a lot of money in vancouver though - kinda crazy - just watch the real housewives of vancouver a few of them could keep nordstrom in business alone haha

speaking of US vs Cad prices does hollister up there still have both us and CAN prices on their tags? down here last time i was in anyway they seemed to have torn off the US price and only show the CAN price - either way the store is always packed and people buy everything - maybe cause we have such a large amount of ESL students here who want the US brands since they can't get to the US and they have loads of money

speaking of US vs Cad prices does hollister up there still have both us and CAN prices on their tags? down here last time i was in anyway they seemed to have torn off the US price and only show the CAN price - either way the store is always packed and people buy everything - maybe cause we have such a large amount of ESL students here who want the US brands since they can't get to the US and they have loads of money
    Hollister, abercrombie kids and A&F all have Canuckbuck tags only now here as well. And they are all jammed with the same customers that have flooded into the Edmonton area like the tsunami that hit YVR too. But they only hit the discount racks in any store as "full price or regular price" is not part of the culture. As I work retail I have lots of customers who ship alot of stuff back overseas to their family because they don't have it so they are always looking for a "discount" Even when everything is posted properly I always have to say no that is not clearance or on sale. It gets tiring especially when it is the same customers who "play dumb" as if we do not recognize them week after week.

Anyway as I said earlier Nordstrom will open something "sizable" but for the first shot I'm pretty sure it is not going to be a 200,000 Square foot store.. they may have the "Real Housewives of Vancouver" on TV and in theory but as I lived in Vancouver and worked in eatons/Sears/Banana Republic in Pacific Centre I know for a fact it is more of the "Desperate Housewives" of YVR! With Canada's highest housing prices they have mortgages to pay.....

articles i read pointed to that fact that nordstrom online does a large online business in canada and is why they want in and being able to track shipments into canada they can pin point where a store would thrive

whatever happens all the talk is the deal has been made with cadillac fairview already and they will take over the 3 vacating sears stores

CB2 opened a couple weeks ago in vancouver and their prices are really good and many seem to the same as their US stores

there is a lot of money in vancouver though - kinda crazy - just watch the real housewives of vancouver a few of them could keep nordstrom in business alone haha
    CB2 is the cheaper of them and since Crate&Barrel opened in Southgate here last October they are cashing in big time (they are also not that super expensive anyways)

Especially since Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton (in that order) have the top 3 average per capita incomes in Canada. That was according to statscan last fall.

Sears Canada notified 900 employee's of layoffs today.

Exactly what they did in 2004 when I was one of 1200 layed off nationwide when I worked in stock and merchandising in the downtown Vancouver store ( now closed )

Sears Canada is sinking fast, As anyone can tell when they walk into any store in Edmonton and the customers always seem few and far between.

Due to this recent corporate layoff I am going to guess that the WEM store will vanish "relatively soon" along with Bonnie Doon and they will just keep the large Kingsway and Southgate stores to offer better selection and compact the customer base to the two Edmonton "flagships"

Since Calgary has already lost 2 out of 5 Sears and the smaller Marlborough Mall store will probably be next (just guessing again) reducing to the two large ones remaining North Hill and Southcentre. Edmonton will probably shrink down to 2 out of 4 as well.

Nordstrom will probably appear sooner than later in WEM as 555 wants Nordstrom in and Sears will probably exit faster if they get the chance to earn some cash for having the lease bought out.

Quote Originally Posted by NielCole View Post
    Nordstrom will probably appear sooner than later in WEM as 555 wants Nordstrom in and Sears will probably exit faster if they get the chance to earn some cash for having the lease bought out.
    So you would say WEM is outpacing Southgate to attract Nordstrom?
    A small town is a vast hell. —Argentinean proverb

In various national newpaper articles I have seen in the past few months regarding the closure of the Chinook, Pacific Centre and Rideau Centre stores the articles all had the same theme that Nordstrom wanted into Edmonton preferably West Edmonton Mall as it was likely that they could possibly get the Sears space as Sears seems to be suffering. If WEM offered to buy back the lease from Sears such as they got in the Calgary, Vancouver and Ottawa from Cadillac-Fairview Sears would probably take it and condense its footprint in Edmonton to two stores.

Calgary only has 3 branches now while Edmonton still has 4 (two large and two medium sizes) while Calgary has 2 large and one medium.

Its pretty obvious when looks at the "retail math" regarding a retailer that seems to have hit the skids in attracting shoppers.

If Southgate did manage to get the Sears space for a Nordstrom though they probably would be a better fit as that Sears is large and spacious on 3 levels for an upscale fashion department store roughly around 270,000 sq ft (basically the same size as its suburban US stores) while the 2 floor Sears at WEM is more modest in space on two levels at around 155,000 sq ft.
    Last edited by NielCole; 01-02-2013 at 01:35 AM.

We will very likely be getting two stores, The Rack and a Nordstroms department store. I bet the rack will end up at WEM and Nordstroms at Southgate... Both in old Sears locations.

^ Nordstrom Racks have considerably smaller footprints than the mainline stores.

Quote Originally Posted by PJC View Post
    ^ Nordstrom Racks have considerably smaller footprints than the mainline stores.
    Well the WEM location is over 100K sq. ft. smaller. Perhaps the space would be split between a couple different retailers?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Sears Canada opening wallet for extreme makeover
    BY BILL MAH, EDMONTON JOURNAL MARCH 1, 2013

Sears Canada CEO Calvin McDonald said customers will soon notice changes for the better at the company’s Edmonton stores.

“We’re looking to spend some money and reset some of our stores that we’ll be doing over the next few months,” said McDonald, who was at Edmonton’s Southgate Centre Sears on Friday to launch the spring issue of the Look Report, the retailer’s year-old promotional fashion publication.
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...279/story.html

Interesting article......While I can see Sears working to keep Southgate and Kingsway viable due to thier large size it does make me wonder about WEM.

That Sears is seemingly always empty you rarely see a Sears bag carried by someone in the mall. And the busy Simons and a soon to open Target will really draw in the crowds looking for mid priced fashions, bedding etc that Sears has fallen behind on.

Time will tell.

The fact that all the article mentioned was "Edmonton stores" not naming any specifically. Again it just makes me wonder if they will focus only on the two large stores and exit WEM and Bonnie Doon.

They talk about eliminatng some product lines,well they should look at their entire hardware area. There is no depth of products in this area and they are spinning their wheels if they think that they can compete with the likes of Home Depot/Can Tire & Lowes. I bought a room humidifier from them several years ago and when it came to buy replacement filters they sent me to the repair depot for them. If you're going to carry products that require replacement parts you should darn well have readily available at the store,and not make customers run all over town for them. I wish them luck ,but re-painting and hanging new signage sounds like a desperate last attempt.

No argument there. If you are selling self branded appliances, hardware or lawn equipment you need to have the staff to service it. Sears is slipping in regards to retaining its strength on the almost iconic and popular Kenmore, Craftsman brands.....

I will guess they will go the route that the Auto Centres went....Sold off to another brand.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

I bought a portable air conditioner from Sears several years ago...yep its a Kenmore. No problems at all.

As for the makeover...let's see what they do.
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 02-03-2013 at 11:08 AM.

In the US...
    http://www.searsholdings.com/invest/index.htm#letter

"We distributed nearly half of our ownership in Sears Canada in 2012, while retaining 51% ownership of the outstanding shares. The performance of Sears Canada continued to be disappointing in 2012, significantly below what we believe the potential is for that business. With increased competition in Canada we know that we have to accelerate the pace of improvement as well as be aware of other potential means of creating value from our interest in this business."...

"Sears Holdings is becoming a Membership company. Members of our..."

"We are rebuilding Sears Holdings' culture with an acute focus on creating "wow" experiences for our Members and putting Members First. We will embrace feedback at every point where a Member comes in contact with the company. We know we do many things well. We are going to be proactive in reaching out to those who have great experiences with us and rewarding them for letting us know and for allowing us to publicize them."

"When you combine the capabilities of our stores with the broad assortment we have available online, it will help bring an endless aisle of products from our Marketplace to our Members and start to blur the four walls of our stores. If our Members can't find the items they need in a store, they can order through the terminals or tablets in store and have them delivered to their homes. We will leverage our supply chain capabilities to find the inventory across all our locations, including our stores and our warehouses, and get it shipped to our Members as quickly as possible. We have the assets to establish a market leading two-day, next-day and same-day capability, by leveraging select current store locations and our warehouses to serve as Market Delivery Centers. The same breadth of assortment will also be available for purchase online and can be picked up in store same day."
    Last edited by KC; 02-03-2013 at 01:59 AM.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Sears Canada to close flagship store, 4 others

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/sear...hers-1.2286483

Sears Canada is closing five of its department stores, including its flagship location in Toronto's Eaton Centre, as part of a $400-million deal.

Sears plans to sell the leases of those five stores to mall operator Cadillac Fairview, in what would be the biggest sale since the retailer began shedding assets and cutting jobs in an effort to turn around its struggling operations.

The planned closure of the Eaton Centre location, by 2014, is notable as it is considered the company's flagship store and is in a central tourist area.

About 965 employees will be affected by the closure of the five locations, although Sears Canada says it will have the option to apply for other jobs within the company.

As part of the sale, Sears will close stores at Sherway Gardens in Toronto and London-Masonville Place in London, Ont., by February, and the Markville Shopping Centre in Markham, Ont., and Richmond Centre in Richmond, B.C., by February 2015.

The writing seems to be on the wall, A few weeks ago Sears Canada new president said they were not leaving the Eaton Centre store in Toronto, Obviously the dire situation in sales is hitting them hard.

The other two questions are, Sears Canada sold off its Corporate Headquarters a few years back and moved those into the upper floors of the Toronto flagship store (former Eaton's space in Eaton Centre) Where is that going?

And just how long are they going to "cling" to the customer devoid locations in both Southgate and West Edmonton Mall which both always seem like ghost towns waiting for a shoot out in the OK corral compared to the high foot traffic in the rest of those two complexes.......

Nordstrom is chomping at the bit to aquire space in Edmonton with Southgate first and if not West Edmonton Mall then.....

I walked through Sears at Kingsway on the weekend because I was in the mall and remembered I needed to buy a couple of regular light bulbs. I figured Sears would have some regular light bulbs.

Did they have light bulbs? Nope. Not even in their section where they sold lamps. They had quite a few random empty shelves throughout the store, though. Sears is swirling the drain right now.

Read in the Globe and Mail (as an update) While 4 out of the 5 most recent soon to close locations involve Cadillac-Fairview the Richmond Centre location in Richmond B.C is run by Ivanhoe-Cambridge who also run Southgate Centre here in Edmonton....Just my guess, but that could provide a hint to what is going to happen there sooner than later.......

Nordstrom or Saks....As Nordstrom would really prefer the Southgate location over a potential in WEM as it is more upmarket mall and the space is far more spacious with the result being a great flagship store. Or also since Hudson's Bay has acquired Saks Fifth Avenue placing that brand where Sears is to bolster things in the mall where Hudson's Bay already seems to dominate with the ever updating new "Hudson's Bay" looking store they are presently doing in Southgate. All for the same reasons huge new space and profile locations for stores wanting spaces into a booming market.

Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

I find this really sad. I've been ordering from their catalogues for years and appreciated being able to pick up my purchases at the nearest Sears. But for the last while this service has been so badly run. I.e., I get the catalogue, select the stuff but when I try to place the order they're already out of stock.

There is a market for general purpose mid-range department stores, but not if they're badly run. And I can't understand why they don't fix that. It's not rocket science.

Eve

C2E Bandwidth Hog

I think Sears still does well with catalog orders, esp in small towns. It's the big city department stores themselves that are staid, old and dying.

I think Sears still does well with catalog orders, esp in small towns. It's the big city department stores themselves that are staid, old and dying.
    When Sears acquired and tried to revamp the "eatons" banner they bought out in 1999 Sears bit off more than they could chew. I worked at the new "eatons" in downtown Vancouver and corporate first came out with stock and brands that were exactly the same as The Bay across Granville Street though the designer collections would just be different colours...ie Polo....

Trying to compete with The Bay, We constantly ran sales and that is only when the customers showed up to by. No one ever bought at full price and to be honest no one does now anyways anywhere......

After that failed they shifted back to the Sears branding but kept some of the old Eaton's labels around such as the mens "attitude" line but slapped that on dull and boring Sears styles.

Also they moved product into the Pacific Centre store that honestly I thought was stupid.....How many people in Yaletown, West End or downtown Vancouver are going to buy garage door openers or lawn tractors? They totally lost the perception that urbanites in the core are not going to hit a downtown store for those items but will head out to suburban places to check it out along with the competition, then purchase it and transport it home if they actually needed something in that respect for some purpose if they do move to suburban homes eventually.

Sears also did the same in downtown Calgary, Ottawa with stores that did not really connect with the urban markets having to close them as well.

After all the trial and error around 2003 Sears then laid off about 1700 people across the country (myself included) to try to pick up the pieces and try again. They have been on a downward spiral ever since.

While I knew with a gut feeling Sears TEC would eventually go, the closing of stores in suburban Richmond B.C, Toronto and London Ontario stores is more of a shock as they are the companies bread and butter type stores suburban.

But product is stale, the stores are dull and have not been updated significantly in years (though I have noticed Southgate and West Edmonton stores have a bit of a refresh but to me the new simple black graphics and stark white walls are as inviting as a walk in freezer) It is the product, service and the lack of staff when one actually needs help is the main issues.

Also people like seniors such as my parents who used to go to stores such as The Bay, Eaton's, Sears and Woodward's are either gone or have moved to better priced items in Walmart, Target or other chains that offer better value and service (in some ways not all).

For example my mom (85) has fallen in love with Simons for both price, service and patience in regards to helping a senior citizen buy "intimates" That does not happen at Sears anymore it seems.

Also smaller cities and towns rely more heavily on Sears as they competition has vanished in many ways, Fields, SAAN and other iconic names that once lined small town main streets. Sears does have the chance to refocus on dominating places where they have department stores such as Red Deer, Lloydminster, Grande Prairie with large scale surrounding rural based customers who can either order by catalogue/online and then pick up the items instore the next time they hit the "local" mall....

In many ways Sears tried to hard to go "urban" and letting the suburban and rural areas slide therefore losing the companies better focus resulting in these long term issues.

My personal prediction in the "next round" of lease sell offs will include Southgate and West Edmonton as these seem to be the two "local weakest links" in the company and the developers who own those want better tenants.....

Eventually (again just my prediction) Sears will be just Kingsway, Bonnie Doon here, Southcentre, Marlborough, North Hill in Calgary, With the stronger "rural influenced" stores in Red Deer, Lethbridge, Medicine Hat, Lloydminster, Grande Prairie. And if they were smart they would get space in Fort McMurray as that city is totally underserved in almost every retail way. Not even a Target up there after Zellers vanished.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast