Thread: Pub Games - whither shuffleboard?

Default Pub Games - whither shuffleboard?

Anyone know of a pub in town that still has a shuffleboard table? The Strathcona Hotel used to have one. And I'm interested in opinions as to why shuffleboard has died off as a pub entertainment. One friend posits that shuffleboard requires too much finesse and patience -- as opposed to those who play rack'em and whack'em billiards.

C2E Long Term Contributor

beer pong is still very hard to find if at all, yet is incredibly popular down south

a new bar in toronto is opening that is a ping pong bar, kinda cool
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

I'd rather C2E than work!

Canadian Brewhouse on 97th used to have both Shuffleboard and Beer Pong/Ping Pong. They definitely don't have the ping pong table anymore (did renos), but I think there may still be a shuffleboard table downstairs in the same area as the pool tables. I haven't been there in a while though, so my info may not be terribly accurate.

There is a ping pong table at the Sportsman's Club bar (Lumberjack's Restaurant). It's on 75th street and Roper Road across from the Edmonton BMW dealership.

The owner's son used to be a provincial ping pong champion so that explains the ping pong table in the bar. You just have to leave the bartender your drivers licence (for deposit on the paddles) and you can play for free.

Lots of working dudes go to that bar and they love the table. Most guys haven't played since high school/junior high. Lots of good times and a good way to relieve stress!

Some old-timer told me there was still a shuffleboard in the Transit Hotel on 66 St. & Fort Road.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

C2E Super Addict

Go to a Legion

What is shuffelboard or Beer ping pong? I can google it I guess, I must be younger than I thought, not knowing about pub games.

This is what a shuffle board looks like. Now the game is kind of like curling only you slide small rocks (discs?) along the top of a highly polished shuffleboard top and knock opponents rocks out.

http://www.efamilyfun.com/gameroom-s...Fc_AKgodYkGFxw
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Check out this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpfuiaTR19I
    I've never been for a drink at the Transit Hotel, if they have a table I might check it out. The legion isn't a bad suggestion, it's where I played a bunch years ago. But I was wondering why they have declined in popularity at pubs? They take up fewer tables than darts, they are way less obnoxious than pool tables.

Turns out this place (relatively new) has shuffleboard: https://www.facebook.com/thebuckinghamonwhyte. Anybody been?

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

The biggest reason I have heard is that the maintenance and damage done to these tables is far greater than what revenue they bring in...

...but I agree...a true pub would be a great thing...I miss some of the older establishments
    Tired of being taken advantage of .

C2E Posting Power

We were in Charlotte last summer and they had those "get the bean bag I'm the hole" games at all the pubs, great fun, would be nice to see some of that in the EAD while the snow's off the ground.... What about a winter adaptation? Outdoor curling?
    i love lamp

The Bucks has shuffleboard and if you're older maybe isn't a good place to go. A good place if you're there before 9pm if you're older, but the groups that are there and the folks that work there are solid people and good folks of mine. Good place for quiet nights on weekdays, and bumping for all crowds depending on DJ and live bands on weekends.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sdimedru View Post
    (...) What about a winter adaptation? Outdoor curling?
    ...sigh...

Race Week had a winter festival component that had exactly this...and broomball, and figure skating, and hockey...and trying for Crashed Ice...etc..

...but after begging and pleading...it came down to the fact that where we wanted to do this in Edmonton...and any alternates in Edmonton...aren't going to be allowed to be used.

...so, we're looking at doing this elsewhere...

^has Kinsmen been floated as a potential site? Or does it need to be private property? If it does, TELUS Field?

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Thanks Alex.

Many things go into a location, but most important of all is size, ingress/egress, traffic control, noise concerns, and making sure what we do doesn't damage what the area's main intent is. This is why the above locations were seriously looked at, and dismissed.

...which is why for a lot of what we're working on post the "event that shall not be named"...it seems that outside Edmonton is the only place for a lot of it...not because we want it that way...but it appears that is the only way it is going to happen.

Well that's disappointing and discouraging.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

It is what it is. There are a few things that need to change in the overall picture for Edmonton, and others that are changing. The core issues are a lot larger than one group could ever overcome. I do see some positive words being spoken, but words are not currency...action is...delivery is...follow through is...that takes finesse and effort. Big ideas, that fill hotels, airplane seats, etc...are not easy.

It is like the OP...shuffleboard. Yes, I like the game, but does it have the ability to draw? It used to. I've had a ton of fun with the game, as well as darts and snooker. It has gone away mainly (IMO) because of what ajs stated...it takes too much finesse and time, and EFFORT. 501 gave way to Cricket for that reason...do I need to count down from 501, and use math to figure out how to finish the leg...or just get 3 of each item?

...billiards on a 4 1/2 X 9 with caverns for pockets vs snooker on a 6 X 12 with pockets stingier than a Scotsman's sporran...same thing...snooker is too much work

Like they say...if it was easy, everyone would do it...

Quote Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
    The Bucks has shuffleboard and if you're older maybe isn't a good place to go. A good place if you're there before 9pm if you're older, but the groups that are there and the folks that work there are solid people and good folks of mine. Good place for quiet nights on weekdays, and bumping for all crowds depending on DJ and live bands on weekends.
    So I finally got around to checking out the shuffleboard table at The Buckingham on Sat. afternoon. Don't bother. Shamefully, someone has destroyed it. Oh well, I guess I'll make my way to The Drake one of these afternoons.

However, The Buckingham is a GREAT space. Wow. I never visited in any of the other incarnations up there. Fabulous windows, stellar patio, nice setup, friendly staff. Can't wait to check out a band sometime. Thanks for the tip.

I found one at O2's Taphouse and Grill on 156st and 11ave. Played it. It's in good condition.

An acquaintance who lives in far south said the SEC Local location has shuffleboard. And today in The Journal Allan Kellogg writes that all the Local locations have shuffleboard. I'd link to it but The Journal website blows.

Drift runs the concession at Shamrock Curling Club. Good beers, good food and they have SHUFFLEBOARD! At home in the central SE.