Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Downtown River Walk

Wow, this guy really is obsessed. People have to accept that many Edmontonians love the river valley the way it is. There is nothing wrong with wanting to be surrounded by trees and bushes like you're on a nature walk. Also, there are many places on the River Valley were you do have a great view the river already while you're walking on the trails. It's simply wrong to suggest there isn't. I also love it how he posted three pictures of the same parking lot, making it look like the city has tons of ugly parking spaces by the river already.
    Last edited by River Valley Green; 22-05-2015 at 06:52 PM.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Despite what you may think, neither he nor anybody else are talking about developing the entire river valley.

Personally I would only limit any development of condos and riverside cafes to the stretch from Louise McKinney Park to the Menzies LRT Bridge, which is only a miniscule part of the river valley and where it's already been partially developed or zoned for such.

But everywhere else, there can be improvements made:

• The multi-use trail along River Valley Road would make for an awesome riverside promenade.
    • There should be a multi-use bike path and sidewalk alongside the river from the Menzies Bridge to Emily Murphy Park, similar to the current one along River Valley Road.
    • Trees and shrubbery at the lookout points along Saskatchewan Drive between 109 St and Scona Road need to be trimmed so that pedestrians can enjoy those magnificent skyline views. In fact, the bike paths and sidewalks along Sask Drive should be widened.
    • Trails need to be widened in some spots, especially under the Low Level Bridge
    • Wooden staircases in the river valley need to be maintained or replaced, many of them are falling apart.
    • Hawrelak Park is cut off from the river, it should be extended all the way to the river c/w walkways and piers. Imagine being able to take a water taxi or a river boat to the Heritage Festival, Shakespeare in the Park, Interstellar Rodeo or the World Triathlon championship.
    • Piers at other points of interest: Rundle Park, Rossdale Plant, Kinsmen, the Zoo, Ft Edmonton, etc to allow for more boat travel.
    • Dynamite the Terrace building and replace with promenade please and thank you
    • Groat Bridge needs another multi-use path on the west side.

So much can be done to enhance the river valley experience for more people (especially tourists) whilst leaving most of it intact to keep the river valley BANANAS happy.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Hard Core Contributor

^you have my vote for mayor.

I've been saying the same stuff forever but the river valley defence force always makes up hyperbole as if we are proposing to bulldoze the entire valley.

Something as basic as trimming trees at lookout points shouldn't be such a controversial issue.
    be offended! figure out why later...

highlander

There are also a bunch of multi-ise trails that need to be wider, or have segregated cycle+fast vs walk& slow paths. If you've used the path along river valley road you know what I mean, it's just too busy, to slow for cycling and too many faster users to be nice for walking. Either build an actual river's edge path for walking, or close river valley road except local access I'm the summer.

Same with paths/sidewalks up Victoria hill and along sask drive from 99 to 109 st, along with better viewpoints.

highlander

One more: the high level bridge paths are too narrow. Cyclists should not be on the west path, but should have a separate path on the top level. In addition to needed space it would avoid cyclists heaving around the columns on the north end, give a more level route for transportation cycling, and with lower traffic people walking the bridge would feel free to linger, or to stand and enjoy the view without feeling like you're getting in the way.

C2E SME

Well I just think they links into the valley need to be better and I still am going to say I want to see the boardwalk/river walk be extended from Louise McKinney to the Walterdale.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Restaurants in the 'dales (which is the River Valley) = sensible.

Restaurants in remote locations requiring dedicated surface parking lots = as bad or worse urban design as they would be Downtown. (arguably worse because it's visible from many more viewpoints.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    Well I just think they links into the valley need to be better and I still am going to say I want to see the boardwalk/river walk be extended from Louise McKinney to the Walterdale.
    Agreed, and the promenade in LMP should be extended to the new LRT bridge.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12