Thread: J.Crew to open 1st Canadian store in Toronto

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Default J.Crew to open 1st Canadian store in Toronto

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/stor...w-toronto.html

U.S. fashion retailer J. Crew announced Friday that it will open its first Canadian store in Toronto in August.

The opening of the more than 4,500-square-metre store in the Yorkdale Shopping Centre will mark the arrival of just the latest in a number of high-profile U.S. retailers either operating in Canada or planning to do so, including the anticipated entry into the Canadian market of discount retailer Target in 2013.

Which means we'll probably see a J.Crew at Southgate or WEM soon.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/stor...w-toronto.html

U.S. fashion retailer J. Crew announced Friday that it will open its first Canadian store in Toronto in August.

The opening of the more than 4,500-square-metre store in the Yorkdale Shopping Centre will mark the arrival of just the latest in a number of high-profile U.S. retailers either operating in Canada or planning to do so, including the anticipated entry into the Canadian market of discount retailer Target in 2013.

Which means we'll probably see a J.Crew at Southgate or WEM soon.
    Yep... that's the usual drill... T.O. then Edmonton
    I'm having people over later to stare at their phones,if you want to drop by

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

The one in Toronto will only sell women's clothing and accessories according to the article posted on the CBC website.

they have had online and mail ordering for years in Canada

they have gone really prciey lately, not the J Crew of 10 years ago that's for sure

I am incredibly disappointed that they won't be carrying any mens wear. I hope that changes.

probably they will - in the states they have been opening separate mens and womens stores a lot more lately, it seems to be their new strategy

WEM rumour mill is that the now closed Tommy store will be JCrew. Time will tell.......

no longer a rumour

American invasion continues at WEM

J. Crew, Target among upcoming additions

BY BILL MAH, EDMONTON JOURNAL

The U.S. retail invasion of Alberta continued with announcements Monday that fashion store J. Crew and retail giant Target are among new shops headed to West Edmonton Mall.

An influx of U.S. companies is rapidly changing the retail landscape, but consumers expecting the transplants to offer the same shopping experience they receive south of the border may be disappointed, retail expert Kyle Murray said.

The associate professor of marketing at the University of Alberta School of Retailing said Canadian stores may charge higher prices than their U.S. counterparts.

"It's store to store, but there's definitely country-specific prices in a lot of cases, which means that Target in Canada won't be the same as Target in the U.S.," Murray said. "Not for all products, all the time, anyway."

U.S. retailers fighting for every dollar hope to find better margins in Canada, he said.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Ameri...456/story.html

We already know that JCrew is coming to Edmonton.... The question now is which space in WEM are they going to take????

Stores are switching locations all over the mall (ie) The Disney Store is moving downstairs to let Apple double its size.

They are also begining to close stores below the theatres on the Europa Blvd side to start the conversion of the space to the 100,000 sq ft Le Simons of Montreal.

XXI is also said to be doubling its size as well so that will require shifting of retail space as well.

I also spoke to the management I know at Bench at Southgate today Edmontons third Bench store opens this coming Wednesday.....I also believe 7 for Mankind opens next week as well.

Partially Addicted to C2E

^^ If you go on west edmonton mall's website it used to show where j crew was going but not it looks to be gone off the site as coming soon? But it showed where Additon Elle is on the 2nd level in Phase 3.

It also shows Rockport going where Play Me is currently by the Ice Place and True Religion going where Aveda is now as they are moving next to Scotch and Soda is.

I'm not sure where forever 21 is going to expand to? as they already have the entire space from the entrance to the ice place?

Quote Originally Posted by danby View Post
    ^^ If you go on west edmonton mall's website it used to show where j crew was going but not it looks to be gone off the site as coming soon? But it showed where Additon Elle is on the 2nd level in Phase 3.

It also shows Rockport going where Play Me is currently by the Ice Place and True Religion going where Aveda is now as they are moving next to Scotch and Soda is.

I'm not sure where forever 21 is going to expand to? as they already have the entire space from the entrance to the ice place?
    Yeah thats a good question in regards to Forever XXI.where the expansion is going unless they too are relocating to another section of the mall that seems to be doing alot of juggling of tenants around to create space for new ones.

I would think that they should get the Brick out of the mall since I never see customers in there. I know most furniture shoppers do not hit malls anymore. Places like Mayfield or SEC yes but malls like WEM no.

I often wondered about how well attended that fitness center beside Zellers is doing? There is a fairly large space,and with Tar Jay moving in, one would think that there would be more traffic in that end of the mall.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry N View Post
    I often wondered about how well attended that fitness center beside Zellers is doing? There is a fairly large space,and with Tar Jay moving in, one would think that there would be more traffic in that end of the mall.
    I always see quite a few customers going into the SpaLady. Its easy for women to get in and out and park near by.

Partially Addicted to C2E

im surprised that spa lady is still open considering there now is one in mayfield common as part of World Health.

Quote Originally Posted by danby View Post
    im surprised that spa lady is still open considering there now is one in mayfield common as part of World Health.
    One serves the northcentral part of the west end the other serves the southcentral/west part of the west end.
    I suppose.

After walking through the mall tonight on my way home from work. The new Rockport store location sign is up. Located on the main floor next to the Ice Palace beseide Urban Outfitters.

maybe forever 21 will open a second location? there is a mall in LA that has like 4 of their freaking stores its quite insane

C2E Bandwidth Hog

We don't need 2 duplicate threads on WEM store comings and goings.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

J. Crew confirms it’s setting up shop at West Edmonton Mall
    By Bill Mah, edmontonjournal.com February 23, 2012

EDMONTON - J. Crew is coming to Edmonton this spring, the high-profile U.S. fashion chain said Thursday.

A West Edmonton Mall location is one of three new Canadian stores J. Crew plans to open this year; the others are Vancouver, also in the spring, and Toronto in the fall. West Edmonton Mall announced the new store last year, but it’s the first time J. Crew has confirmed it.

Edmonton will get a 5,657-square-foot store on one floor. Vancouver’s store will be located at 1088 Robson St., and will occupy 5,953 square feet over two floors. The third location is planned to take up 8,287 square feet in Toronto’s Eaton Centre.

J. Crew debuted in Canada with its first store in Toronto, but some shoppers complained that prices in its Canadian store and its new e-commerce site were about 15 per cent higher than in the U.S.
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...127/story.html

I bet it is going in one of two places in WEM, where the former Addition-Elle store in the second floor was and has now moved next to HBC or where the JACOB store was on the same level next to Apple. Unless Apple takes over that space because the rumour mill has it Apple wants to expands ( makes sense because it is always seething with people)

Jacob has relocated in the old Tommy Hilfiger Store as a "temp" location but JACOB has been closing alot of stores due to refinancing so I believe they will get a smaller unit elsewhere when it is figured out.

There was a story in The Journal this past Christmas that Apple was going to expand into the old Disney Store. However it might make more sense to re-locate into the vacated Jacob space,that way they can set up for future product expansion. Time will tell.

There was a story in The Journal this past Christmas that Apple was going to expand into the old Disney Store. However it might make more sense to re-locate into the vacated Jacob space,that way they can set up for future product expansion. Time will tell.
    God only knows since they filled the former space right next door to Apple with "temp" Calender store for the holidays and here we are almost at March and it is still there. Tick Tock.....

the article says it will open between banana republic and i think H&M or whatever is on the other side

edit: oh here it is:
    Edmonton will get a 5,657-square-foot store on level two of the mall’s Phase 3 between Banana Republic and H & M. It’s expected to open in May.
    also:
    West Edmonton Mall says international shoe retailers Dr. Martens and Camper are also coming to the mall.

Then that would be the huge closed former Addition-Elle store. They have moved and are now located on the lower level by the Bay. There is another large almost "closed" space, the Esprit store on the lower level by the Bay is also closing (They have about 4 racks of clothes left) since Esprit is bailing out of Canada all together.

That would be a smart move to get more "upscale" stores back into phase one since HBC has renovated, Target will replace the Zellers at that end and increase traffic as well and Harry Rosen is right upstairs. Other upscale stores in Phase one are BCBGMaxAzaria, JMichaels etc It would even out the stores across the mall and create more shopping traffic in the Phase 1 once again.

Quote Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
    the article says it will open between banana republic and i think H&M or whatever is on the other side

edit: oh here it is:
    Edmonton will get a 5,657-square-foot store on level two of the mall’s Phase 3 between Banana Republic and H & M. It’s expected to open in May.
    also:
    West Edmonton Mall says international shoe retailers Dr. Martens and Camper are also coming to the mall.
    The Camper and Doc Martin signs are already up, located next to the G-Star Raw store on Europa Boulevard.

Quote Originally Posted by darrellinyvr View Post
    Then that would be the huge closed former Addition-Elle store. They have moved and are now located on the lower level by the Bay. There is another large almost "closed" space, the Esprit store on the lower level by the Bay is also closing (They have about 4 racks of clothes left) since Esprit is bailing out of Canada all together.

That would be a smart move to get more "upscale" stores back into phase one since HBC has renovated, Target will replace the Zellers at that end and increase traffic as well and Harry Rosen is right upstairs. Other upscale stores in Phase one are BCBGMaxAzaria, JMichaels etc It would even out the stores across the mall and create more shopping traffic in the Phase 1 once again.
    Espirit must have closed yesterday [ Feb 23 ]. I passed by and the doors were closed and all merchandise is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by darrellinyvr View Post

Espirit must have closed yesterday [ Feb 23 ]. I passed by and the doors were closed and all merchandise is gone.
    Probably closed since when i went past on Wednesday they only had 3 sparse racks of items left and a depressed looking staff member dusting the rest of the store.

But as I posted earlier I saw somewhere either online or in the Globe&Mail that Esprit was shutting down all its Canadian stores. So that leaves a large space next to the Bay ripe for attracting a new more desirable tenant to give Phase 1 more kick....

yah they pulled out - but it seems the bay now carries esprit and even has a pretty good selection and signage at the bay stores - even the suburban ones - at least out here

It's nice to see this shuffling of retailers... some closing, new ones moving in from other markets. It's also interesting to see that many of the stores closing are international retailers making way for new brands.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Men's J. Crew store opening in WEM
    http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...-opens-aug-28/

^Wow talk about lack of foresight.

They obviously underestimated the market here, As for now this single J Crew basically serves the entire provincial market. Since Calgary has yet to be on the soon to open list.

The floor space is almost identical to the Banana Republic next door which has both mens and womens lines.

They originally said that it would offer both mens and ladies wear but then turned around and said that only womenes would be offered because the space was too small.

Someone goofed and they have realized it.

Quote Originally Posted by NielCole View Post
    They obviously underestimated the market here, As for now this single J Crew basically serves the entire provincial market. Since Calgary has yet to be on the soon to open list.

The floor space is almost identical to the Banana Republic next door which has both mens and womens lines.

They originally said that it would offer both mens and ladies wear but then turned around and said that only womenes would be offered because the space was too small.

Your comment about floor space being close to BR and not having a men's area was exactly what I thought when they rolled out that excuse. Wonder where this men's store will be ? Perhaps in the old Pearle Vision/Gucini Leather location ? The blog says they will be open in late August,if that's true it will be one of the fastest turn-arounds of any space in WEM. They also they have an incredible response to their womens store. Well, I have never seen anyone carrying a bag or for that matter I have never seen any women shopping in the store. Corporate spin ???
    Last edited by Barry N; 04-08-2012 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NielCole View Post

Your comment about floor space being close to BR and not having a men's area was exactly what I thought when they rolled out that excuse. Wonder where this men's store will be ? Perhaps in the old Pearle Vision/Gucini Leather location ? The blog says they will be open in late August,if that's true it will be one of the fastest turn-arounds of any space in WEM. They also they have an incredible response to their womens store. Well, I have never seen anyone carrying a bag or for that matter I have never seen any women shopping in the store. Corporate spin ???
    I'm guessing they will condense the ladies wear into 2/3 of the space and let mens into 1/3 there is no way they can cough up a totally new store in 22 days.

This is an update on what i discovered today at SEC. JCrew has opened the only "J Crew Factory" in Western Canada in the same stretch of SEC that has the GAP Outlet and Banana Republic Factory Store. I did not even know they had opened and had heard nothing about it coming to Edmonton.

The only other "Factory" in Canada is located in Vaughan Mills in Toronto.

So now Edmonton has both branches the topline store in WEM and the Outlet in SEC. Something for everyone.
    Last edited by NielCole; 28-11-2012 at 04:59 PM.

nice, will get there one day, i keep putting off my trip to edmonton now i have more incentive

First One is Always Free

so J. Crew closed their WEM location as of yesterday, does anyone know why? Were they just not doing well here? As far as I know their Factory location in SEC is staying open.

Quote Originally Posted by ameheu View Post
    so J. Crew closed their WEM location as of yesterday, does anyone know why? Were they just not doing well here? As far as I know their Factory location in SEC is staying open.
    I was in there looking for golf polo type shirts - and have been to locations in the US in a number of cities. To be frank I don't find any of their merchandise unique or different from the J. Crew lines carried in department stores anywhere. And without differentiation - what is the need for the a stand alone store?

The store here was terrible. Also they haven't kept up with current style and demand. Frankly, not surprised.