Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Telus World of Science "Aurora Project"| Expansion | U/C

Move it downtown so there will be no complaints of the expansion occupying green space.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
    Move it downtown so there will be no complaints of the expansion occupying green space.
    And abandon some of Edmonton's most recognizable architecture? No thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    Take them downtown as well.

It's not made out of LEGO.

It's not made out of LEGO.
    Good. It will make things easier then. Every structure in a big truck in one piece.

Or replicate the building exactly the way it looks now, with improvements. Use zinc as I've noticed, they like zinc here. It's quite nice. It will complement the museum and the arena. Will bring people downtown too.

I guarantee you none of your suggestions will happen.

I guarantee you none of your suggestions will happen.
    I think my suggestion is good, just costly.

They should have got Lewis cardinal to design the expansion.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    They should have got Lewis cardinal to design the expansion.
    If I remember correctly, the Odysseum had looked into getting Cardinal to design the last expansion but his fees, etc were simply too high. Remember that when he did the original building it was much earlier in his career.
    LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

He's also peeved that he wasn't consulted about the first expansion and was apparently unhappy with it's design not working well with his original.

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    He's also peeved that he wasn't consulted about the first expansion and was apparently unhappy with it's design not working well with his original.
    It did ruin the original.
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Quote Originally Posted by MylesC View Post
    It's hard to tell exactly where the expansion is going, but the smallish pictures on the website

http://www.telusworldofscienceedmont...us/vision-2020

make it appear that most of the building will be to the west and north of the current building.
    wow. Those tiny pictures are terrible. Don't they want people to see what it's going to look like?

There is already a substantial addition under construction on the north side but looking at the renderings it appears that will be doubled in size. Let’s hope something is done to enhance the ecologiser look of the original building.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Upgrade to IMAX at Telus World of Science
    Eileen Bell

Telus World of Science is getting an upgrade to their IMAX system - moving to the next generation laser digital projection technology. The Edmonton Space and Science Foundation has reached an agreement with IMAX to bring in the new equipment when it launches next year.

"The TELUS World of Science - Edmonton is a world-class center of education and we are honored to be a part of their revitalization project that is driven by our shared spirit of innovation and discovery," said Larry O’Reilly, President, Worldwide Sales, IMAX. "We applaud the vision of our valued, long-time partner that will be among the first to transition to our next-generation laser solution - a technology both the TELUS World of Science - Edmonton and IMAX believe will be by far the most advanced projection system available for many years to come."

The theatre at the Telus World of Science will close in September for 3.8 million dollars of renovations. They will bring in new seating, a larger IMAX screen and audio system. They'll update to a xenon-based IMAX digital projection system before the IMAX dual 4K laser system launches next year.
    http://www.inews880.com/news/edmonto...medium=twitter

C2E Long Term Contributor

Harry Potter exhibit extended to April 6.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I was there on the weekend, not for Harry Potter but Imax. The place was packed however with kids for Harry Potter. Seems pretty popular.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I know that some people are going to rage when they see the name attached to this, but oh well. The expansion going to EDC on the 6th for Pre-Consult:

Telus World of Science Expansion Project
    Dialog - Donna Clare
    11211 - 142 Street NW
    Site legally described as:
    Quadrant SW + SE, Section 12, Township 53, Range 25
    (http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...May6Agenda.pdf)
    Don't feed the trolls!

Didn't they just expand? What are they needing more space for now? Also who and what is wrong this this donna clare person exactly?

This was planned for some time now, large expansion and much needed.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Space is needed, but that shouldn't automatically equate to this project.

Among better alternatives would be to move TWOS into a renovated and expanded old RAM.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

They did one minor expansion to accomodate the recent big exhibits (Star Wars, Harry Potter, Indiana Jones).
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

In Harry Potter's case, a truly miniscule exhibit with lots of gift store.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Some info on Donna Clare: http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...clare-profile/. belated side note: the Harry Potter exhibit was significantly underwhelming (I was warned beforehand, so I didn't expect too much) compared to the Star Wars exhibit a while back. A larger exhibit space makes a significant difference.

So wait. People rage about this woman because she made the expansions for shaw and TWOS just boxes, because of the budget she was given? Im pretty sure she and anyone would have most likely done the same thing as if you only have a certain amount of cash to work with. You can only do so much, how about we save the rage until her RAM project shes doing is done before pouring more hate?

^ Not sure if you're referring to me or not, but I have voiced a similar sentiment here (you just have to go back 5 years to find it.)

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    As I had it explained to me, the architect's failure was prescribed by the buyer, namely: us.

The problem is the HVAC equipment. It has to go somewhere, and by the height of the stupid monstrosity in question, it's sitting at ground level, right on Jasper Avenue, and turning all of 97th Street from a splendid opportunity into a dingy back alley.

The first thing that falls out of this is the solution: either make it taller or (ha-ha) shorter.

The second thing that falls out of this is the lesson: we must not accept governance that cheaps out on aesthetics. Hello arena.
    Honestly, I'm not overly enamoured with any of what I've seen of Donna's work, including the RAM but I also can't recall any of it going over budget either, which I'm certain gives her a huge in with politicians.

But what I'm trying to say here and now is that the problem with the project, exactly like with the Velodrome we're expecting to build beside it, is the location.

How is Coronation Park the best place in the region for two of our one-in-a-region facillities?

Best view?

Best access?

Local demand?

Important neighbour to synergise with?

Only option?

So far, that would be no, no, no, no, and umm, no.

I'd love to be at the stage ready to critique design, but this project would miss its potential if it were designed by Foster.

^ I'm putting you on Ignore because your constant harping over Coronation Park being such a horrible place because it doesn't have LRT is getting very tedious. And quite frankly, you don't really add anything of value to this forum.

C2E SME

Access/parking is a valid topic of discussion for TWOS. They're pretty much maxed out on their parking most days (I drive by it every day), and I believe the board is considering various solutions to the problem.

That said, moving it is a complete non-starter for a slew of reasons.

Perhaps the proposed bus route redesign will result in a high frequency route on 111 Av.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    ^ I'm putting you on Ignore because your constant harping over Coronation Park being such a horrible place because it doesn't have LRT is getting very tedious. And quite frankly, you don't really add anything of value to this forum.
    That seems a little harsh seeing as the whole point of C2E is to give everyone a forum for their opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium48 View Post
    Perhaps the proposed bus route redesign will result in a high frequency route on 111 Av.
    Once the NAIT LRT is open (supposed to happen already, probably fall) 125 (30 minute frequency) and 127 (45 minute frequency) will probably be changed a bit perhaps one will have 15 minute frequency, for able bodied people not much of a walk, for others they would need to transfer to 126.

There's also the wLRT line, whenever that happens. I could see an express bus between the Westmount transit station and the nearest LRT station.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium48 View Post
    Hopefully. Any bus service West of Westmount is absolute garbage.

It takes less than 15 minutes just to drive between Westmount and WEM.

But if you take transit between Westmount area and West Edmonton Mall, the bus runs at 30 minute frequency, then it's a 30 minute trip. If that bus isn't running, you have to transfer and it'll be a good 45 minute ride. Total crap service.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
    That seems a little harsh seeing as the whole point of C2E is to give everyone a forum for their opinion.
    I kind of thought so too. Perhaps he's on the either the TWOS or Velodrome project? (Although that should probably require an even higher detail of interaction.)

Anyway, I'm not too worried, fwtw.

Big question remains though, for TWOS: Why not ask the province if they can have the Old RAM instead?

- Much better access (especially with completion of Valley Line)
    - Better view
    - Already twice the size
    - Already purpose built for exhibition
    - No other potential user on the horizon
    - Better nearby accessories (on 124th Street)

Of course it would still require asbestos removal, new insulation, new mechanical, and perhaps the additions of an Imax and Planetarium, but that could probably be covered by the existing budget with room to spare.

Also tantalisingly close to the Valley, meaning for science, the best local geology, ornithology, ichthyology, and botany right on hand.

And the province still owes us one for letting them put their name on our gallery...

EDC May 20

Telus World of Science Expansion Project
    Dialog - Donna Clare
    11211 - 142 Street NW
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

$40-million expansion puts Edmonton's Telus World of Science on ice

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...science-on-ice

The Telus World of Science will make public ice-inspired designs Monday for a $40-million expansion and renovation project set to start this spring.

Radiating lines will extend out from the original building and fold down to the ground “almost like ice shards … allowing crevasses to form, allowing light into the building and also creating waterways,” says Donna Clare, the Dialog architect in charge of the project.
    The overhaul — called the Aurora Project — will update aging science displays and expand the 32-year-old building to 150,000 square feet from the current 130,000 square feet, science centre president Alan Nursall says.
    Construction to expand the building toward 142nd Street will add a new gallery where visitors can learn about Canada’s Arctic and polar regions, Nursall says. A renewed health-science gallery, called The Body Fantastic, will highlight Edmonton as a hub of health science, wellness and medical research.

The lobby will double in size and have a new gift shop. And the entrance will be refreshed, so pedestrians can walk alongside garden space leading to the front door, Clare says.

Didn't they just do this building back for when starwars came to town now are gonna tear it down and remake it? makes zero sense and seems a waste of cash imo.

Hard to tell from the render but sounds promising from the description.

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    Didn't they just do this building back for when starwars came to town now are gonna tear it down and remake it? makes zero sense and seems a waste of cash imo.
    I don't think it was redone to this scale, just one of the galleries was touched up. Overall sounds like money well-spent to me. Funding is to be done thusly:

The City of Edmonton has committed $12 million to the Aurora Project, and the science centre is seeking $12 million each from the federal and provincial governments. The science centre is also ramping up its own efforts to raise $8 million, targeting a total of $44 million to provide a buffer and cover the $40-million plan.
    http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...science-on-ice

$40 million and it's only growing 20,000sq/ft. I'll get ripped for this, but what it really needs is more parking.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

I'd like to know what their plans are for the old planetarium

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    $40 million and it's only growing 20,000sq/ft. I'll get ripped for this, but what it really needs is more parking.
    Or to be relocated nearer an existing or planned LRT station. For example the old RAM site or Rossdale Powerplant.

Or to be relocated nearer an existing or planned LRT station. For example the old RAM site or Rossdale Powerplant.
    Their core demographic is suburban families and school groups so lots of parking is essential.

Quote Originally Posted by OffWhyte View Post
    Their core demographic is suburban families and school groups so lots of parking is essential.
    So? Old RAM and Rossdale PP both have that. LRT also has immensely larger amounts of parking at several stations. across the City.

So? Old RAM and Rossdale PP both have that. LRT also has immensely larger amounts of parking at several stations. across the City.
    Fair enough, but I'd rather not fill up Rossdale with parking lots. And is Rossdale PP close to even planned LRT? Even the old RAM is at least a couple of blocks walk if I understand the hypothetical routing. If you've ever tried loading up a couple of kids into a van to go someplace you'll know that you'd much rather drive all the way there than burden yourself with a transfer to a train followed by a hike.

I doubt relocating is even possible with a $40 million budget anyway. They'll have to make do where they are.

How about improved transit service to the TWOS? If ETS is serious about revamping their transit services, adding or improving services to family attractions such as TWOS, the Zoo, Fort Edmonton, Muttart etc need to be considered. It shouldn't just be a feeder for malls, schools and sports facilities. But that's a different discussion entirely.
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 08-02-2016 at 12:34 AM.

Fair enough, but I'd rather not fill up Rossdale with parking lots. And is Rossdale PP close to even planned LRT?
    To be fair, no, not really. I get 1.2 km with Marble from Bay/Enterprise. But a.) It's around half the distance I get from the unbuilt Valley Line 1142 Street Station to the existing TWOS, and b.) I'm imagining a gondola from Bay/Enterprise to Rossdale.

I get 850 metres from the unbuilt Valley Line 124 Street station to the existing larger old RAM, or as little as 500 metres if a station is placed at 130 Street. I don't see a gondola there though.

I doubt relocating is even possible with a $40 million budget anyway. They'll have to make do where they are.
    How much do we suspect asbestos removal and new mechanical in the Old RAM to cost? As said it's already a much larger building, and essentially purpose-built.

It doesn't really look like much of an expansion. It looks more like a do-over of the previous expansion.

It doesn't really look like much of an expansion. It looks more like a do-over of the previous expansion.
    From the picture this will be expanding the older section on the west side not the new gallery that was built to the east. It also doesn't look like they're tearing the west section down, just gutting and expanding it.

I'd say it's due. Much of the rest has been reno'd and updated while the exhibits the west section have been aging.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

highlander

They've recently re-done at least one gallery in the west wing- the old - solve a mystery" exhibit that was always empty has been replaced with an new "science garage" with a bunch of fun and highly interactive exhibits, including space for workshops and maker events.

I was there a couple weeks ago to see the rubik's cube exhibit and managed to spend over 3 hours with 2 kids in just the feature exhibit and that one.

That was just a temporary rush job so that they could get the Star Wars exhibit.

How about improved transit service to the TWOS? If ETS is serious about revamping their transit services, adding or improving services to family attractions such as TWOS, the Zoo, Fort Edmonton, Muttart etc need to be considered. It shouldn't just be a feeder for malls, schools and sports facilities. But that's a different discussion entirely.
    Well the Zoo and Ft. Ed already have (poorly marketed) non-stop buses from South Campus Station, and the Muttart is somewhat soon to have its own Valley Line station, that basically leaves TWOSE. (and I'd argue Kinsmen sports centre.)

Agree it should have been done years ago, but what else are we going to do with the old RAM anyways? It's a naturally better location for a science centre, and much better for transit connections going forward.

I'd like to know what their plans are for the old planetarium
    They don't own the old planetarium. I believe the City does.

That was just a temporary rush job so that they could get the Star Wars exhibit.
    Again, there is nothing in the article or the pictured design that shows any change to the Feature Exhibition Gallery, which extends east. All the reno's and construction mentioned in the article are in the Cardinal building and the the west galleries towards 142nd street.

Well the Zoo and Ft. Ed already have (poorly marketed) non-stop buses from South Campus Station, and the Muttart is somewhat soon to have its own Valley Line station, that basically leaves TWOSE. (and I'd argue Kinsmen sports centre.)

Agree it should have been done years ago, but what else are we going to do with the old RAM anyways? It's a naturally better location for a science centre, and much better for transit connections going forward.
    I think the old RAM is going be more than just a simple repurposing. Besides the aforementioned asbestos stripping, I think the interior environmental work needs to be redone so that it can house major exhibits with sensitive artifacts. Then it needs to build a new observatory, telescopic equipment, IMAX theatre and such. So it would be a major undertaking.

re: transit access for the current Telus Science Centre, maybe they could move the Westmount transit centre from that dying mall to the south end of TWOS. Then it can better serve TWOS, the Hemingway pool plus other recreational facilities in the park, Ross Shepherd high school, and the nearby office buildings (ATA, Alldritt).

highlander

The transit centre should be south on 111 Ave, and there should be a trunk-line frequent bus line on 111 all the way from at least stadium to mayfield and on down 170th.

But I don't think that parking is a huge deal. It already has a big lot, there are other smaller lots in coronation park, and the ATA allows use of their parking on weekends - I used it once, i think it was family day, and the crowds Inside were more of a hassle than the walk from remote parking even on a cold winter day.

Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 08-02-2016 at 11:12 PM.

I think the old RAM is going be more than just a simple repurposing. Besides the aforementioned asbestos stripping, I think the interior environmental work needs to be redone so that it can house major exhibits with sensitive artifacts. Then it needs to build a new observatory, telescopic equipment, IMAX theatre and such. So it would be a major undertaking.
    No doubt, but a new IMAX is really the only one I see being expensive. But I'd much rather $40 million going into something with a river valley perch endgame in mind than having $40 million more Donna Clare beside an industrial park.

Not just for the marvelous Valley view, but the "real world" sciences of everything from archaeology to zoology just outside the doors.

Side note, how are we getting such good civic architecture everywhere but this project?

re: transit access for the current Telus Science Centre, maybe they could move the Westmount transit centre from that dying mall to the south end of TWOS. Then it can better serve TWOS, the Hemingway pool plus other recreational facilities in the park, Ross Shepherd high school, and the nearby office buildings (ATA, Alldritt).
    Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    The transit centre should be south on 111 Ave, and there should be a trunk-line frequent bus line on 111 all the way from at least stadium to mayfield and on down 170th.
    Yeah, actually, that's exactly what would minimise the pain. A straight line from K/RAH station at high frequency. (Assuming we get the Metro Line under control at 111.)

Still not going to get as many visits as a nearby LRT station, but vastly better. Can better serve the "dying mall" as well, FWIW.

They just installed new IMAX at the TWOS didn't they? It's too bad the new RAM isn't also getting IMAX.

^ from my angle, the new projector itself would be the part they can move, along with the sound system. No money lost there, but a new auditorium would be a significant investment. A new planetarium could easily be built inside an existing old RAM gallery, and a Valley-edge observatory would be as close to "dark sky" as we get in the City.

Serious question, JayBee: have you contacted anyone with TWOS or City Council re: your idea of relocating TWOS to the old RAM? If you feel it's an idea worth pursuing, running it by the decision makers wouldn't hurt. You may even get some support.

Not gonna happen.

^ trying to count the number of times I've heard that before. let me know if I should try to make a list.

But for the love of knowledge, why on Earth not, Vincent?

Because they've committed to the current investment.
    Because they're not going to wait the two or three years until the old RAM land becomes available. Plus the time to develop it.
    Because the old RAM site would cost much, much more to turn into what the current facility already has.
    Because developing the RAM site would leave them with less parking than they already have.
    Because one person does not a movement make.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    Because they've committed to the current investment.
    Indeed, the current investment to change the sandwich menu and perform mouth to mouth on the essentially portable Space Place is committed.

Because they're not going to wait the two or three years until the old RAM land becomes available. Plus the time to develop it.
    At best they wait that long for fundraising to build this one-sided parody of Clareview Rec Centre.

Because the old RAM site would cost much, much more to turn into what the current facility already has.
    Except for the things the old RAM already has which TWOSE will never have: the River Valley and a planned LRT station.

Oh, and the fact it's already 'expanded.'

Because developing the RAM site would leave them with less parking than they already have.
    Because aspiring to big surface parking lots and not transit is how we want our city built? Bad for private companies, but if you're a city planner it's 'welcome to the 50's boyz?'

Actually not. There's this little document called "The Way We Move", you see...

Because one person does not a movement make.
    The hand and the glove find each other by necessity. Doesn't need me to parrot it out. But shortly after we find out if it's Chia Sprouts or Turkey Bacon at TWOSE I expect the question of what to do with the old RAM gets a little louder, and the answer is pretty plain.

What planned LRT station?

They're not waiting. The project is starting in April with an expected completion by 2018 or 2019. The old RAM building will remain occupied until 2019 and adapting it into a science centre, including IMAX and star theatre as well as expanding gallery space would take a couple of years and cost far more. Remember when the RAM was going to expand rather than move and the bill would have been $200m+. If you believe they'll have trouble raising the money for this expansion I'm not sure who you think would fund a far more expensive project.

They will not have dedicated LRT stop as the proposed line (still unfunded) does not run on 102n't. The site may have an LRT stop many blocks away but not before 2025 or later presuming the economy recovers.

Moving to the RAM site would be great if they had arena level funding now, could start the construction now, and could anticipate a direct LRT line to be running when they opened. None of these things is possible. So they make the practical decision to expand the existing facility.

What planned LRT station?
    I guess I should say "planned LRT station within walking distance", but I mean the one at 124 Street and 104 Avenue.

They're not waiting. The project is starting in April with an expected completion by 2018 or 2019. The old RAM building will remain occupied until 2019 and adapting it into a science centre, including IMAX and star theatre as well as expanding gallery space would take a couple of years and cost far more. Remember when the RAM was going to expand rather than move and the bill would have been $200m+. If you believe they'll have trouble raising the money for this expansion I'm not sure who you think would fund a far more expensive project.

They will not have dedicated LRT stop as the proposed line (still unfunded) does not run on 102n't. The site may have an LRT stop many blocks away but not before 2025 or later presuming the economy recovers.

Moving to the RAM site would be great if they had arena level funding now, could start the construction now, and could anticipate a direct LRT line to be running when they opened. None of these things is possible. So they make the practical decision to expand the existing facility.
    Fair enough, but we're talking about different things. I'm talking strategic City building, you're talking bureaucratic facility evolution. Again, I just hope the powers that will be in 2019 look at their options and learn from how the arena was a success (location and dedication to concept) or how all of Belanger's commissions become nice looking and respected, and then keep the larger City's goals firmly in mind.

^ trying to count the number of times I've heard that before. let me know if I should try to make a list.

But for the love of knowledge, why on Earth not, Vincent?
    There's been way too much invested in the current site. Not to mention that the current site is purpose built to be a science centre, unlike the RAM. It would make absolutely no sense to essentially start over from scratch just because we like the location better or because we desperately want to find a use for an awesome old building.

It's almost too bad the Provincial Archives moved to their new building on the south side. It would be nice to have it centrally located again.

TWOS is fine where it is. It would be wasted where RAM is, as TWOS internalizes what it offers, while the old RAM space needs something that maximizes the views. Besides, the old RAM space is simply much too small.

Remember when the RAM was going to expand rather than move and the bill would have been $200m+. If you believe they'll have trouble raising the money for this expansion I'm not sure who you think would fund a far more expensive project.
    The price tag was actually $400m+ (~$200m to build a new wing, and another ~$200m for expansion/renovation of the existing building). The Klein government initially thought the project would have a much smaller price tag, but the costs quickly rose the more the government delayed and dithered. And those were 2006 dollars!

highlander

It's almost too bad the Provincial Archives moved to their new building on the south side. It would be nice to have it centrally located again.
    That's what should move back to he RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    Remember when the RAM was going to expand rather than move and the bill would have been $200m+. If you believe they'll have trouble raising the money for this expansion I'm not sure who you think would fund a far more expensive project.
    The price tag was actually $400m+ (~$200m to build a new wing, and another ~$200m for expansion/renovation of the existing building). The Klein government initially thought the project would have a much smaller price tag, but the costs quickly rose the more the government delayed and dithered. And those were 2006 dollars!
    While it would have been about $100m more I still personally wish they had done the expansion at the existing site. That said, the new building does look very good as well.

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    That's what should move back to he RAM.
    It's a better location but they now have a tailor made building for handling the archives, they won't be moving back.

I'm not won over by any of this, I simply don't believe asbestos removal and new mechanical would cost $400 million or $200 million or $40 million, or even that the Province wouldn't do it for us.

After that, it's simply a matter of:
    1. An IMAX Theatre Auditorium ($15 million? $20?)
    2. One gallery fitted as a planetarium (done easily, no longer requires anything like a 30 metre elevator shaft)
    3. Pack up and move existing exhibits and components.
    4. Some time to help cheerlead for the West Valley Line (which might be quicker than we presently expect anyways.)

More money than the Clare plan?

• Yes, stop thinking you're making any points there, that's obvious and long acknowledged.

More upheaval than the Clare plan?

• Absolutely, short term pain.

But eventually what we have is far, far better for a science centre with far more public relevance and much broader tourist appeal and much better access.

How about a science centre with:
    • A real archaeological dig out the front door?
    • A real paleontological dig just down the bank?
    • A real geological strata exibit?
    • A self guided living ornithological tour?
    • School tours to the riverbank to study fish and waterbugs?
    • An observatory that can actually see something other than the moon?

And by the way I did some more exact measurements, and following Wadhurst Road from the planned West Valley Line station, old RAM is, get this, closer than the TWOSE entrance is to the Westmount transit centre when remaining on paved trails... Not only is it train service which people actually choose to ride.

And as a bonus how about a science centre one could walk around without thinking one is at Costco? (Cardinal excepted, obviously.)

It's nothing to do with "we desperately want to find a use for an awesome old building.", it's much more like "we desperately need to find a way to become a more attractive city to locate or visit."

It's at the strategic level, not the tactical.

Expansion work is starting this spring, so relocation is kinda moot at this point.

At whatever juncture, it's still the right thing for the big picture.

A waste to expand though, of type but well beyond par with Rexall Place getting new Gold Seats for the last three seasons.

Project is underway - $40 million expansion.

http://aurora.twose.ca/project-overview/

A few renderings available at 4:09 minutes in.

Anybody remember the science centre when it first opened? It was literally a ten minute visit if you took your time.

Anybody remember the science centre when it first opened? It was literally a ten minute visit if you took your time.
    Unless you took in one of the movies or Pink Floyd zeidler theater star show or whatever.

I always thought this place and its like were overpriced and that they do more to service Hollywood or Hogwarts than science. Not that Twos is isolated in that. Science Centres tend to be misnomered amusement halls.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

^^ Which was why the admission was free back then. You only had to pay to see something in the theatres.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    ^^ Which was why the admission was free back then. You only had to pay to see something in the theatres.
    That is for a period of time. Somewhere along the line afairc they adopted the packaged pricing that most such facilities adopt. So that Movie and the Center would cost so much, 2 movies and Center would cost more, and just the Center would cost less, but still around a dozen bucks.

At the same time the Provincial Museum was free. (but alas that changed as well)

kudos to the AGA moving in a kids get in free direction but places like Science Center and the RAM should probably reconsider as well. These are public funded, built, educational facilities. Every kid, no matter what kind of bucks they come from, should have access to that. Otherwise we further dichotomous enrichment to already disadvantaged kids and we do it in City facilities.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

That's a nice thought but nothing is truly free. Either the parents pay for their kids, or City Hall moves funding from one project to another. Unless of course the free admission for kids brings in more revenue from parents, but that remains to be seen. My guess is that most visitors are probably school groups already anyway.

Ambitious $40M expansion set to start at Edmonton's Telus World of Science
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...ence-1.4267651

The Margaret Ziedler Star Theatre is about to become one of the best of its kind in the world.

The theatre in Edmonton's Telus World of Science plans to replace its aging projectors and screen with the latest state-of-the-art 10K technology.

It's all part of a $40-million expansion project officially unveiled Tuesday by science centre president and CEO Alan Nursall.

"The Aurora project is all about making sure our infrastructure is stable and solid and our science experiences are challenging, engaging and inspirational, and meet the demands of our growing city," said Nursall.

In 2016, the science centre drew more than 500,000 visitors.
    The 20,000-sq.-foot expansion will allow the centre to incorporate more science, interactivity and innovation than ever before, Nursall said.
    Work on the theatre begins next week. People who have never seen a laser light show there will have one last chance during the final shows this weekend.

259665071-001
    01-Nov-2017
    11211 - 142 STREET NW
    SE-12-53-25-4;SW-12-53-25-4

To construct PHASE 1 and 1B of an interior renovation to the dome theater at Telus World of Science.

CHANDOS CONSTRUCTION LTD. , JEFF JURAVINSK

deleted
    Last edited by KC; 20-01-2018 at 08:23 PM.

Just reading about the 10k resolution!

‘Mouths are going to drop’: Telus World of Science planetarium theatre to feature 10K resolution – Edmonton Sun
    BY DUSTIN COOK
    ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED: AUG 29, 2017

http://edmontonsun.com/2017/08/29/mo...9-e75937283c6b

More space, new exhibits coming to Telus World of Science

Construction on The Aurora Project at Telus World of Science began in October, which will mean room for new exhibits.
    The premier also announced the province will contribute $12 million over three years, money already ear-marked for the project in the 2018 budget.
    The total cost of the project is $40 million, funded by various levels of government and through donations.

This makes me Mister Happy.

Also, the star theatre is intense now.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Big money, big expansion for Edmonton's Telus World of Science

The Telus World of Science in Edmonton got the final piece of funding it needed Wednesday to complete a years-long upgrade.
    The provincial government is contributing $12 million to the $40-million Aurora project that has been ongoing since 2014, while the federal government is kicking in $8.65 million.
    I will beat the dead horse back to life.

C2E Continued Contributor

Got to love election time.

Money flows like wine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket252 View Post
    Got to love election time.

Money flows like wine.
    T minus 10 months, T minus 9 months ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12