Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Southgate Centre

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
    Southgate is getting a Lego store... I can't wait.

Now, my pocketbook has been crying ever since the news came.

I wonder which location it's going to be.. old HMV? Dansk?
    WOW I am suprised the WEM did not "entice" Lego to open in some, way, shape or form!

Good for Southgate!

^ If they are remotely close to the Lego store that I saw @ Disney World in Florida it will be amazing.
    Last edited by Barry N; 02-03-2013 at 07:22 AM.
    I'm having people over later to stare at their phones,if you want to drop by

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Southgate is getting a Lego store... I can't wait.

Now, my pocketbook has been crying ever since the news came.

I wonder which location it's going to be.. old HMV? Dansk?
    Where did you hear this?

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    Where did you hear this?
    Directly from Lego.

C2E Bandwidth Hog
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Oh c'mon.. didn't trust me eh?

I could have quoted the Lego rep, but I didn't have the authority at the time to.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Does anyone know where exactly LEGO is opening in the mall?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

From the article:
    The 3,800-square-foot Lego Store will be located in the former HMV store in the central west part of Southgate.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Thanks! They showed the location on the news this morning but couldn't place where it is. It's gonna be a huge store!

Shaw is opening up a retail space in the former Dansk location at Southgate Centre.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Thanks! They showed the location on the news this morning but couldn't place where it is. It's gonna be a huge store!
    It's right next to Mappins, store #424.

http://www.southgatecentre.com/wp-co...3Directory.pdf

I heard they may be opening a Lego store in Kingsway Garden Mall. Can anyone else confirm?

Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    I heard they may be opening a Lego store in Kingsway Garden Mall. Can anyone else confirm?
    They just put the hoarding up around the new location at Southgate. Two locations in Edmonton? I guess anything is possible, but I doubt it.

I'd be shocked if one opened in Kingsway. There are two in Toronto, and one in Vancouver and Calgary. Given our population, and how few stores there are in the country (not even one in Quebec) having a second one opening so soon after our first doesn't seem to make much sense.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

C2E SME

^except for the much stronger retail market here in Edmonton as compared to other cities. But with that said it doesn't seem that likely.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

It appears that Southgate is actually getting a proper restaurant!!! This will be in the SW corner lot, on the exterior of Crate & Barrel!

Sources:
    http://www.onlyhereforthefood.ca/
    http://www.stateandmain.ca/edmonton/index.html

Not really Southgate, but the Sobeys in the Pleasantview Shopping Centre has shut its doors.

Now the seniors will have to cross 51st Ave to get their groceries.

This is unfortunate, because I remember as a kid my gramma used to take me there (IGA at the time) for free cookies when I was a kid.

that entire area is a prime piece for redvelopment, right next to LRT and southgate, great location

C2E Bandwidth Hog

What's left in that strip mall, apart from Savoy and Callebeuat?

The hiring fair for the Lego store is coming up.

http://www.southgatecentre.com/lego-job-fair/

was (almost willingly) at Southgate yesterday
    It was freakin' packed and people seemed to by spending their dough
    Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

Not really Southgate, but the Sobeys in the Pleasantview Shopping Centre has shut its doors.

Now the seniors will have to cross 51st Ave to get their groceries.

This is unfortunate, because I remember as a kid my gramma used to take me there (IGA at the time) for free cookies when I was a kid.
    I saw the new Rexall Logo has appeared on the side of the old Sobey's building by Southgate. In addition, a Rexall has located adjacent to Westmount Mall, in place of the old Salvation Army dropoff, and it has the new Rexall logos on it.

GAP and American Eagle Outfitters are undergoing renovations to upgrade to the current looks (AE will re-open this summer) and GAP is still open while the transition takes place.

Southgate was mobbed with shoppers this afternoon "EXCEPT" Sears. it was as busy as a crypt compared to Hudson's Bay and the rest of the mall even though it was undergoing a large seasonal sale along with The Bay and the rest of the mall.

Literally I counted maybe 5 shoppers on the 2nd floor besides my self and another 3 in cosmetics as I made my way out the doors towards Restoration Hardware (this was around 4 PM today) When The Bay had line ups at all tills on the menswear floor.

Sears staff were just talking to each other at the cash desks on two as there was nothing else to do.

I really cannot see Sears lasting indefinitely is this was what their "flagship" store here in Edmonton was like traffic wise.... is the Kingsway store dying a slow death too?
    Last edited by NielCole; 31-05-2013 at 10:51 PM.

do they still sell electronics at sears there or in edmonton? grande prairie the renovated sears store, which looks great, no longer carries electronics

Quote Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
    do they still sell electronics at sears there or in edmonton? grande prairie the renovated sears store, which looks great, no longer carries electronics
    I believe they only now carry electronics in the Sears Home stores instead of the department stores. Honestly I have not noticed, but with the Kingsway and Southgate stores having large furniture floors they probably still do, The WEM store has a very limited amount now from what I understand.

Plus,the hardware section in Sears seems to be shrinking in size, as well as in inventory.

Default Lego Store opens

EDMONTON - One of Edmonton’s more eagerly anticipated retail openings took place quietly on Friday as the Lego store opened its first local and largest Alberta outlet at Southgate Centre.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...844/story.html

It was fantastic. I can't believe the sets available these days. Lego has changed a lot since I was a kid. It made me want to be 9 yrs old again. They have a cool architecture series that I would be interested in.

You're never too old for Lego.

I got out of my "Dark Ages" a few years ago.. I have a whole bedroom in our house full of my Lego.

Now that I have a young son, I really miss Fabuland. Anyone else remember that? It was a series of sets that bridged the gap between Duplo and the regular Lego stuff. Lots of animal characters to play with.

I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

vancouver is getting a second lego store so it is possible edmonton could get a second one as mentioned earlier in the thread...

C2E SME

Well if that were to happen I'm curious where a second one would go. W.E.M? Kingsway? Personally I'd vote for Bonnie Doon but of course I'm biased in regards to that location.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

and I would be biased towards City Centre Mall

C2E SME

On a side note can someone change the name of this thread to "Southgate New Stores" because I could be mistaken but I don't think it's 2011 anymore.

Yep, that high level bridge piece is now at the Alberta Provincial Archives on 51st Ave..

http://culture.alberta.ca/paa/events...s/default.aspx

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I see that Evoolution is opening up a second location at Southgate this summer. Very cool!

C2E Bandwidth Hog

This thread needs a title change (I shall inform the Admin), but anyway

Lord’s Shoes set to close after 84 years in Edmonton
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...218/story.html

C2E SME

So another store is going to be closing at Southgate. I was in the mall just the other day and I found out that the Science Shop will be closing by early to mid February. The reason that I was given was the owners are retiring.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    So another store is going to be closing at Southgate. I was in the mall just the other day and I found out that the Science Shop will be closing by early to mid February. The reason that I was given was the owners are retiring.
    Sad. Love that store.

C2E Continued Contributor

Changed the thread title to make it more generic.
    Almost always open to debate...

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    I see that Evoolution is opening up a second location at Southgate this summer. Very cool!

The flamer bar ?

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Olive Oil specialty store
    http://www.evoolution.ca/

C2E SME

Hmmmmm, considering that Southgate has been making the hallway where the Science Shop is into a bit of a gourmet food section in the mall, I wonder if the Science shop location will be the new location for Evoolution?

No, Evoolution is already open in the other "cross" corridor of the mall, near Sage and across (roughly) from EB Games. Passed by it on January 6.

With Laugh & Learn and The Science Shop both leaving, I've lost my two best reward stores for when I drag my boys shopping with me. Might make the trip to WEM more often now.

Laugh & Learn is closing as well? Wow

C2E Bandwidth Hog

^^ LEGO store

C2E SME

Oh ok, I missed that when I walked past. All I had noticed was that Jersey City had moved out from that location to a location near the Lego Store.

^^ LOL Thanks - how in the world did I forget the Lego Store?

Yes, Laugh & Learn is having a bankruptcy sale in the Southgate location, and apparently all of their other locations are already closed. Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by bornandraised View Post
    ^^ LOL Thanks - how in the world did I forget the Lego Store?

Yes, Laugh & Learn is having a bankruptcy sale in the Southgate location, and apparently all of their other locations are already closed. Sad.
    Very sad. It was a new store. I loved that their toys weren't just toys but educational at the same time. I hate buying regular toys for kids who have more toys than my preschool as a kid. And with Science Shop closing to, that really limits the choices.

If you're looking for toys similar to the ones sold at Laugh 'N Learn, check out http://www.cooltoysfortots.ca. It's based in Edmonton, and you can go and pick the toys up from them to save on shipping (or, if you qualify for free shipping they'll often drop them off themselves). Their prices are much, much better than a lot of the stores around here, and you're still buying local. They always have some kind of sale going on.

C2E Long Term Contributor

A former jr. high teacher of mine opened up the science shop, impressed it lasted this long and retirement is likely long past due.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    A former jr. high teacher of mine opened up the science shop, impressed it lasted this long and retirement is likely long past due.
    I am a little sad the business couldn't have been sold to some other science nerd with social skills who can run a business.

172348773-001
    20-May-2015
    5015 - 111 STREET NW
    Plan 0725320 Blk D Lot 4A

To construct interior alterations and to continue to operate a General Retail Store (Southgate Centre, Victoria's Secret)

ELDER-JONES PERMIT SERVICE, TIM

Thought i would post this here as well... but, I heard Sears was not renewing its lease after 2016 and an American department store was opening up... which, so I have heard, has led The Bay to do as $25 million renovation at the Southgate location instead of the City Centre location due to new competition.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

That "American department store" would have to be Nordstrom.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

Interesting news. Saks could also be a possibility...

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by Ctone View Post
    Wouldn't be Saks....the Bay owns them - no point double dipping in the same mall.....

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Quote Originally Posted by maclac View Post
    Wouldn't be Saks....the Bay owns them - no point double dipping in the same mall.....
    Why not? It would make good business sense for them to try and shut out a competing threat from across the border.

I was by Southgate the other day. My, it sure is one of the ugliest malls from outside.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

Yeah Top_Dawg agrees.

But it's one of the nicest inside.

Also with it being on the LRT line and with a large transit center - it's the most accessible.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maclac View Post
    Why not? It would make good business sense for them to try and shut out a competing threat from across the border.
    1. Nordstrom was reported by Retail Insider to prefer Southgate when originally planning their Canadian incursion three or four years ago. They said outright they didn't like the mix at WEM.
    2. Southgate is the Chinook of Edmonton. What works in one is basically plug-n-play for the other.
    3. I don't get the feeling Saks Canada would be called strictly 'American'.
    4. Saks/HBC is a major partner of 555 in 'American Dream'. 555 would be illogical not to latch on to that for all they're worth.

Far from bulletproof, but I just don't see any signs pointing any directions but Saks to the West, Nordstrom to the South. (except someone who infamously went on camera to suggest Nordstrom to ICE District.)

Thank the heavens for every minute sliver of indecision at HR.

^Exactly, I heard The Bay upgrade for Southgate (and not City Centre) was spurred by an American competitor moving into Sears' space. Parking on am afternoon is getting ridiculous it seems there too. After the last expansion made it more valuable and competitive (besides Sears, I'd have to say) the whole mall is quite well used and profitable. With a great central location and easy access for all modes of transportation I would see great growth and increased interest to continue.

The Bay in Southgate has a way bigger selection than The Bay Kingsway. I don't go often but always manage to find a bargain.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

Southgate Bay is somewhere in the top 5 I heard for sales and I'm fairly sure us the biggest in Edmonton. Not sure what the reno encompasses but I can assume finally renovating the old kitchen space and bringing in more Top Shop like Vancouver if they want that competition edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    The Bay in Southgate has a way bigger selection than The Bay Kingsway. I don't go often but always manage to find a bargain.
    It really does, I am often disheartened after a trip to the bay at Kingsway.

C2E Posting Power
    Alberta Avenue, Boyle Street, McCauley, San Tan Valley

It's like Nordstrom in the US.

In a location like Bellevue, WA they will carry Prada, Versace etc.

Then in a location like Bellingham, WA, they will not carry those higher end brands.

However, the two stores will look almost exactly the same. They've just judged Southgate to have a higher probability of "those kinds" of shoppers according to their sales demographic studies.

I think Kingsway will end up there, but probably when Blatchford's first phase is fully occupied.

Kingsway is my favourite mall, it has been for many years.I just wish they had a better Bay store, but I will go there before WEM or Southgate.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Southgate Centre among most successful malls in Canada
    Mall's sales were $1,155 per square foot for 12 months ending in August, Retail Council of Canada report says
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...nada-1.3935529

C2E Bandwidth Hog

If you read the fine print it also says the "main corridor" at WEM is at $1175 psf, which is slightly ahead of Southgate. (It also comprises a larger floor space than most of the malls in the list, including Southgate.)

Thus for the second time it's reported, among Canada's top six malls:

2 in Toronto
    2 in Vancouver
    2 in Edmonton

Canada's big three.

Job No 243627091-001
    Description: To change the Use from General Retail to Minor Amusement Establishments (Southgate Mall - VR EXPERIENCE CENTRE).
    Plan 8922780 Blk D Lot 5
    5015 - 111 STREET NW
    Plan 8922780 Blk D Lot 12
    5015 - 111 STREET NW
    Plan 8621772 Blk OT
    5015 - 111 STREET NW
    Plan 8922780 Blk D Lot 6
    5015 - 111 STREET NW
    Plan 8922780 Blk D Lot 10
    5015 - 111 STREET NW
    Plan 8922780 Blk D Lot 11
    5015 - 111 STREET NW
    Plan 8922780 Blk D Lot 9
    5015 - 111 STREET NW
    Plan 7821041 Blk D Lot 2
    5015 - 111 STREET NW
    Plan 0725320 Blk D Lot 4A
    Applicant: SPAN ARCHITECTURE
    Create Date: 3/17/2017 3:55:59 PM

Reference ID: Job No 244223570-001
    Description: To change the Use from a General Retail Store to a Specialty Food Service (takeout - no seating). Remedy Cafe.
    Plan 8922780 Blk D Lot 5
    5015 - 111 STREET NW
    Plan 8922780 Blk D Lot 12
    5015 - 111 STREET NW
    Plan 8621772 Blk OT
    5015 - 111 STREET NW
    Plan 8922780 Blk D Lot 6
    5015 - 111 STREET NW
    Plan 8922780 Blk D Lot 10
    5015 - 111 STREET NW
    Plan 8922780 Blk D Lot 11
    5015 - 111 STREET NW