Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Southgate Centre

I'd rather C2E than work!

Default Southgate Centre

Ask and you shall recieve.
    From the Southgate website. The previously mentioned Ivivva Athletica store from the former Southgate thread will open April 15, 2011

Partially Addicted to C2E

Crate and Barrel also!

Nothing in regards to this on Southgate's site or Crate&Barrel's either. Any links to firm up this possibility/rumour?

Addicted to C2E

^ They pulled a development permit !

Quote Originally Posted by oscar View Post
    Meaning one has been granted? Or that they had one and it has since been revoked/cancelled?
    I have been digging around and have found nothing anywhere in regards to C&B at Southgate again some sort of press release/story/ link would be great.

Addicted to C2E

^ There was a development permit issued on the city of Edmonton "Major development Permit" section a couple of weeks a go to Crate and Barrel at the address for Southgate Mall.

Quote Originally Posted by darrellinyvr View Post
    Meaning one has been granted? Or that they had one and it has since been revoked/cancelled?
    I have been digging around and have found nothing anywhere in regards to C&B at Southgate again some sort of press release/story/ link would be great.
    Meaning one was applied for:

Job No 106645753-001: To construct interior and exterior alterations to a General Retail Stores Use - Southgate Centre
    5015 - 111 STREET NW
    Plan 8922780 Blk D Lot 5
    5015 - 111 STREET NW
    Plan 8922780 Blk D Lot 12
    5015 - 111 STREET NW
    Plan 8621772 Blk OT
    5015 - 111 STREET NW
    Plan 8922780 Blk D Lot 6
    5015 - 111 STREET NW
    Plan 8922780 Blk D Lot 10
    5015 - 111 STREET NW
    Plan 8922780 Blk D Lot 11
    5015 - 111 STREET NW
    Plan 8922780 Blk D Lot 9
    5015 - 111 STREET NW
    Plan 7821041 Blk D Lot 2
    5015 - 111 STREET NW
    Plan 0725320 Blk D Lot 4A
    STANTEC ARCHITECTURE C/O CRATE AND BARREL
    EMPIRE PARK

Thanks!, Now I'm all caught up! Crate&Barrel BRING IT ON!!!!!

Will any of these stores fill those empty green stalls on the transit side of the mall? They seem to have difficulty in filling those as I've only seen a temporary Halloween costume place in the corner of the new area near the transit centre (close to the boots).

Being that the SW corner is the largest vacant space in the mall (And if you look at the mall map the space is substantial) C&B would probably end up in it. Also as with their stores in Southcentre in Calgary and the ones in T.O it will have a dedicated and expanded outside entrance/facade. As well the 111th Street frontage would be extremely desirable for the visibility factor for both C&B and Southgate showing off yet another upscale US tenant much like the RH facade along the northside of the mall.

Would that be the corner "Famous Toy Liquidators" was in previously?

Would be a nightmare leaving that store, as soon as you leave the "front" door (of the FTL) you were 2 feet away from the road. Maybe they'll move the entrance to the SW corner of that unit?

Quote Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
    Would that be the corner "Famous Toy Liquidators" was in previously?

Would be a nightmare leaving that store, as soon as you leave the "front" door (of the FTL) you were 2 feet away from the road. Maybe they'll move the entrance to the SW corner of that unit?

That would be the space. It would require some tweaking. but it could be done. the main entrance would still be in the mall (like RH in Southgate) but streetfront visable signage/facade seems to be a C&B requirement.

Addicted to C2E

Northwest corner space is also empty.

Northwest corner space is also empty.
    Much much smaller space than the SW vacany according to the mall maps....Also no direct link to the interior of the mall itself. It also lies adjacent to the new food court.
    That I'm guessing could be a coffee/bistro/restaurant space? Cactus Club?? Moxies?? Earls?? Milestones?? Since there is NO place other than the food court to eat in Southgate.

It doesn't have to be a "huge" restaurant (thinking Delux BurgerBar "sizewise on 142 St here) and the location with the neighbouring delivery/waste access facilities of the food court would make sense.
    Last edited by NielCole; 26-02-2011 at 11:20 AM.

I had lunch with two friends who are store managers at Southgate today. The mall annouced to other tenants that Crate & Barrel will open in the SW corner of the new addition in the fall. Construction starts in April.

The Ivivva Athletica Store has boardings up next to the Sears entrance.

Crate & Barrel is now annouced for a fall 2011 opening on the Southgate Website.
    www.southgatecentre.com

Will this be a tier one or two store ??
    Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Blueline View Post
    If you mean what level it'll be on, its most definitely on the 1st/ground floor. I drove past that space today and I think it will be perfect for Crate & Barrel.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Terry_H View Post
    If you mean what level it'll be on, its most definitely on the 1st/ground floor. I drove past that space today and I think it will be perfect for Crate & Barrel.
    I don't think that's quite what Blueline was getting at... rather, Blueline was asking about the store itself.

Will it be a full-size store carrying the full line of products (making it tier 1)?

Or will it be smaller and carrying only some of the products, with the rest available online (making it tier 2)?

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry_H View Post
    I don't think that's quite what Blueline was getting at... rather, Blueline was asking about the store itself.

Will it be a full-size store carrying the full line of products (making it tier 1)?

Or will it be smaller and carrying only some of the products, with the rest available online (making it tier 2)?

Should be on par with the other Canadian stores in Toronto, Mississauga, Calgary......I don't think that the stores here in Canada carry everything the American ones do.

The only Crate&Barrel i have ever been in was a behemoth branch in Manhattan so everything would pale compared to that.

Correct ET
    The "other " store is a bit of a joke for it's lack depth of inventory variety

Correct ET
    The "other " store is a bit of a joke for it's lack depth of inventory variety
    My mistake. I don't know much about C&B nor Tier 1 or Tier 2 stores. Oops!

the tier 2 stores are just as nice - they have all the home decor and kitchen stuff - just no large furniture items - at least from the one i have been too in california

does Crate & Barrel deliver to canada from their catalogue?

Pottery barn gives out the catalogues but they don't deliver to Canada and they won't deliver to the store for you, but restoration hardware will order items from the catalogue to the store for you if they don't have it in store

This store in suburban Portland has an exterior that would work with Southgate (with some tweaking) of that corner of the mall.

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/Stores...px?storeid=146

If you search some of the larger American cities (Minneapolis for example) that have only one C&B it shows they only open where the money is.... and all in upscale malls.... So Southgate and Edmonton are joining a rather exclusive club marketwise.

I had thought Vancouver would get one before Edmonton either at Park Royal or Oakridge but thats not the case.
    Last edited by NielCole; 29-03-2011 at 11:59 PM.

they have been trying to open here for a few years but they can't find a location - last firm rumour is it will be at Park Royal

We are getting a Nordstroms though! it will be downtown - Nordstrom is expected to make a public announcement soon they have taken into account the large number of Vancouverites who do online shopping with them and everyone from Vancouver is familiar with them as they are not too far being in seattle...

Mmmm, Americans are lucky with their department stores. If only we had a few of them up here.

Quote Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
    they have been trying to open here for a few years but they can't find a location - last firm rumour is it will be at Park Royal

We are getting a Nordstroms though! it will be downtown - Nordstrom is expected to make a public announcement soon they have taken into account the large number of Vancouverites who do online shopping with them and everyone from Vancouver is familiar with them as they are not too far being in seattle...
    I think Nordstrom is looking to join the wave of American stores streaming across the 49th parallel due to the stronger Canadian market. Vancouver is a logical first step since they are headquartered in Seattle.

But where in downtown YVR????? are they going to kick Sears out of Pacific Centre? I would almost move back for that.....LOL

rumours are rampant - the possibly soon to be empty HMV, they may take over sears

there was an article about tehm coming in the new BIV publication, they also attended some shoppers convention thing in whistler and they plan to expand north to Canada's big 3 cities - so Vancouver, Toronto and either montreal or calgary?

some are saying it might start out with just a nordstrom rack downtown - those are smaller and more possible locations... If zellers leaves metrotown that would be a good nordstrom store

rumours are rampant - the possibly soon to be empty HMV, they may take over sears

there was an article about tehm coming in the new BIV publication, they also attended some shoppers convention thing in whistler and they plan to expand north to Canada's big 3 cities - so Vancouver, Toronto and either montreal or calgary?

some are saying it might start out with just a nordstrom rack downtown - those are smaller and more possible locations... If zellers leaves metrotown that would be a good nordstrom store
    Can't see Nordstrom taking the HMV space to small....for a "real" Nordstrom what with the CTV studios up top. Nordstrom Rack!!!! Puhlease! Thats not a Nordstrom.....Target will take over the Zellers in Metropolis. its a big space since it was the former Woodwards location a millenium ago.

My prediction...Vancouver, Calgary, possibly Edmonton or Toronto having to do with logistics from the H.O in Seattle. I think also Nordstrom has a huge fan base out west before T.O and Holts would really give them a run in Toronto. A Nordstrom in E-town would really light a fire under Holt's *** in this town enough for them to actually build a new store......

Back to HMV are they actually leaving the Robson space? or is that just conjecture with the rumoured sale of the chain in Canada.

My prediction...Vancouver, Calgary, possibly Edmonton or Toronto having to do with logistics from the H.O in Seattle. I think also Nordstrom has a huge fan base out west before T.O and Holts would really give them a run in Toronto. A Nordstrom in E-town would really light a fire under Holt's *** in this town enough for them to actually build a new store......
    Just please don't open a location in SEC or someplace like that.

Good gawd no!!!....I was thinking in the core.....(Both a new Holts and Nordstrom)

I know. That's where I would like to see new department stores open too. But this is Edmonton, and I don't know where downtown a new department store could open.

Can't see Nordstrom taking the HMV space to small....for a "real" Nordstrom what with the CTV studios up top. Nordstrom Rack!!!! Puhlease! Thats not a Nordstrom.....Target will take over the Zellers in Metropolis. its a big space since it was the former Woodwards location a millenium ago.

Back to HMV are they actually leaving the Robson space? or is that just conjecture with the rumoured sale of the chain in Canada.
    i don't know if target will take metrotown - i think they would be smarter to take brentwood - metrotown is a mess - there is no way both locations can become target

i don't think zellers in oakridge will take over either its a horrible place and a worse layout - i wonder what they can do with that space maybe crate and barrel

nordstrom's first new york store was a rack - they may enter the market that way

saks 5th avenue is planning to open its outlet version in canada soon

i don't know if target will take metrotown - i think they would be smarter to take brentwood - metrotown is a mess - there is no way both locations can become target

i don't think zellers in oakridge will take over either its a horrible place and a worse layout - i wonder what they can do with that space maybe crate and barrel

nordstrom's first new york store was a rack - they may enter the market that way

saks 5th avenue is planning to open its outlet version in canada soon
    Zellers should never have been allowed in Oakridge period. I don't know what HBC was thinking when they carved up the old Woodwards space but I suppose it's because its the only Zellers within the Vancouver city limits and yes a big C&B would be perfect there.

Thankfully they never got ahold of the old Woodwards/Eatons space in Southgate and stuck a horrible Zellers in Southgate. Some retail decisions are just wrong.

etownboarder I know.......considering the state of major retail in the core I share your concerns......It would require a lot of foresight and cash to come up with a great solution in the city's downtown something alot of companies don't seem to want utilize.......

Express is coming - i don't know where anyone know?

they are hiring right now for Alberta

District Manager- Calgary/Edmonton, Alberta

Posting Date: 03/22/11
    Job Number: 2359429

"Today, Express (NYSE: EXPR) is one of the largest speciality retail apparel brands in the United States." The Company has 30 years of experience offering a distinct combination of fashion and quality for multiple lifestyle occasions at an attractive value. Express operates more than 560 retail outlets in high-traffic shopping malls, lifestyle centers and street locations across the United States.
    http://www.expressfashion.jobs/express/job_detail.asp

http://www.express.com

Edmonton better get a couple of stores.

they should - 6 stores in 2011 up to 50 stores in 5 years

When searching for employment locations via the link you provided, the only store that comes up is Calgary... yet they say they're looking for a Calgary/Edmonton district manager. They better not make us wait.

yeah no specific stores yet - they have the stores for ontario listed though, so they are only on the first step - hire a manager who is responsible for all stores in the district than establish the stores

I think if Nordstrom eventually comes to Edmonton (and the timing would be right) a likely spot would be the Zellers space at WEM. Originally the Eaton's and as discussed in other threads WEM may not be the perfect environment for Target.

I know we'd all (including me) love Nordstrom downtown but WEM is still our retail giant with the best chance of success for a big store like that.

While I would prefer ( and I suspect so would most of you) a gleaming Nordstrom downtown I have to agree with Mercucio that WEM would probably be the location. Southgate doesn't have the space for another major. SEC is box stores and outlets not Nordstroms style (unless you count Nordstrom Rack) WEM has the reputation and the traffic that makes even the Americans stand up and take notice.

In regards to Express if they are advertising for a Calgary/Edmonton regional manager then ( As a retail lifer ) I 'm going to guess that both cities should get locations at the same time. And with all the juggling you see with the tenants locations in WEM that would be the obvious spot.

Though CityCentre has a couple of prime locations (former GAP in ECCWest and the former Jacob in ECCEast)
    Kingsway also has the prime now vacant Club Monaco location.

I''m not sure where in Cowpatty they have space but if Chinook still has vacancies in it's expansion thats my first guess.... followed by Southcentre, The Core then Market Mall.

yeah no specific stores yet - they have the stores for ontario listed though, so they are only on the first step - hire a manager who is responsible for all stores in the district than establish the stores
    I see Fairview in Toronto and Limeridge in Hamilton.
    Last edited by NielCole; 30-03-2011 at 11:19 PM.

I see Fairview in Toronto and Limeridge in Hamilton.
    yes for ontario but not for alberta yet - ontario district manager positions were up before christmas they only put up store staff positions a couple months ago

Default TD Canada Trust

Drove up 111 st yesterday and pretty sure I saw a TD Canada Trust - Coming Soon sign up in the NW corner bay that still sits empty.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

There's already a TD branch in the strip mall across 51 Ave. I wonder if they're moving?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Thats quite a few banks for a mall that size since RBC and Scotiabank are already on the site. If so predestrian access from the parking lot to the NW corner also seems rather awkward to me, since you have the transit centre and one of the two main mall entrances into the lot there as well.

It also would be exterior access only as that corner backs the food court into the mall .

As a side note was at Southgate tonight, They have begun putting up the Crate&Barrel coming soon signage along the mall space. The Southgate graphics have been removed and it has been repainted white with a black border running along the top. The C&B typeset should be on display in short order!

Crate&Barrel signage is now up SW corner of the expansion.

http://s960.photobucket.com/albums/a...tonPics348.jpg

TD Bank is moving into the NW corner of the centre so zrobertson your right.

Ivivva is almost complete they had the door to the store open through the construction hoardings looks pretty plush. I did not realize it but there was an article in the Journal last week Ivivva is owned by LuluLemon.

That leaves a total of only 3 vacancies left in Southgate
    1 by the east entrance by Dollarama
    1 by the new LRT entrance between Browns and Michael Kors (they have repainted it as well so I suspect something is going to be annouced very soon)
    TABI is closing all stores so the Southgate location will be vacant shortly.
    Last edited by NielCole; 13-04-2011 at 12:22 AM.

C2E SME

Which empty bay is TD moving into?
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    Which empty bay is TD moving into?
    NW Corner. Exterior bay by the Transit Centre.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Is the TD in the Sobeys stripmall across 51 Ave closing?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E SME

^That would be my guess.

I think the only thing I don't like about that corner location is that in order to get to the bank itself the customers are going to have to cross the busy driveway of the mall. Just wait a month or two after the bank opens, your gonna see a big crosswalk sign installed so people can get to the bank easier. Otherwise the location is not too bad.
    Last edited by Edmcowboy11; 13-04-2011 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    ^That would be my guess.

I think the only thing I don't like about that corner location is that in order to get to the bank itself the customers are going to have to cross the busy driveway of the mall. Just wait a month or two after the bank opens, your gonna see a big crosswalk sign installed so people can get to the bank easier. Otherwise the location is not too bad.
    Thats what I posted earlier, the pedestrian access is rather poor for that corner due to that major entrance point for traffic. I can see all sorts of problems if a lot of seniors have to use the new branch after the present one closes.
    Which i'm guessing are a fair sized customer base for the bank considering the large seniors home located behind directly Sobey's along with Southgate Towers.
    Last edited by NielCole; 13-04-2011 at 11:31 PM.

I was reading an article about H&M opening in the core in calgary and the alberta manager said they are planning more stores for both Calgary and Edmonton - I guess southgate would be a good location

I don't think Southgate will get a store. There's no space left for something of that size.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

City Centre Mall now has plenty of space for an H&M.

I don't think Southgate will get a store. There's no space left for something of that size.

Agreed.
    Southgate has two vacancies left (3 including the smallish Tabi store that is currently closing out since that chain has decided to close all outlets)
    All are too small for a store that size, Also H&M has a location "somewhat" close by in South Edmonton Common.

Downtown would be a more likely next step in H&M's expansion in the city if they could secure enough space. Or perhaps a location either in Londonderry or one of the upcoming power centres along Manning Drive.

I was reading an article about H&M opening in the core in calgary and the alberta manager said they are planning more stores for both Calgary and Edmonton - I guess southgate would be a good location
    Do you have a link??

Do you have a link??
    yes

http://www.calgaryherald.com/Calgary...#ixzz1JYv5Oig0

Emily Scarlett, of H&M Canada, said the company is pleased with its success in Calgary. The fashion retailer is opening its fourth location in the city today -a 20,000-square-foot flagship store at the redeveloped downtown CORE shopping centre.

"We still have our eye here on both Calgary and Edmonton in terms of opening even more stores in both markets," she said.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Rasoee (Indian place in the food court) is closed. According to the directory, it's being replaced by Rangoli Flavors of India. Must be a renaming. Hope the grub is good as before.
    http://reasonid.com/southgate/?store...indian-kitchen

Coles/Starbucks is being renovated. Hope this means there'll be more space for the Starbucks.

C2E SME

^I do hope that it is just a name change or even if it is a new company I hope that the food is good. I would go there for a quick lunch at times for my butter chicken.

C2E SME

Today, June 7, 2011

I'm really wondering what is going in at this side of the mall.

Crate and Barrel.

Partially Addicted to C2E

crazy! so is Crate and Barrel taking over that corner location also??

^Yes. All of the exterior work being done in the SW corner is associated with Crate.

I know Coles is getting a facelift in the coming months.

heard that theirs will only be a synopsis reno though

heard that theirs will only be a synopsis reno though
    Weren't there a few retail spaces between the former bookstore and the Orange Julius next door? If I recall correctly, then Coles is expanding into those retail bays.

What is a synopsis reno?

Coles Notes version (strictly cosmetics)

ha ha

Correct there are no walls moving. It is an extensive 'cosmetic' overhaul though, not just a coat of paint.

oh they redid some coles here - they look much nicer like a mini-indigo store, very bright and fresh feeling

is the crate and barrel at southgate gonna be one level? they are opening here in vancouver too and will have a store on one level

Crate & Barrel set to open in October.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...409/story.html

no size stated for the river city store ????
    Hopefully we won't be getting a b or c clsaa store like reno hdwre also at southgate

C2E Hard Core Contributor

we're getting about a 25,000sq ft store. Calgary has a 35,000 sq ft store.

According to Wikipedia (on two sites)
    The largest malls of Canada article lists Calgary's branch at 34,000 sq ft
    And the Southcentre article list the branch at 24,077 sq ft
    The Journal list the branch at 34,000 sq ft as well.

Yorkdale's location in Toronto is listed as 34,000 sq ft.

The Edmonton and Calgary locations should be about the same size since the cities have almost the same size metro areas while the Toronto and Mississauga locations are probably the same size (bigger) as the population the greater area of Toronto is much larger.

Don't like that the new TD doesn't have access from inside the mall, but glad it's at least connected to the mall rather than across 51ave.

Not a "new" store but I noticed that both the main and second floors of The Bay today have large sections in the ladies and mens wear sections tarped off and seem to be undergoing some sort of update.

Could that mean that Edmonton is going to get sizable Top Shop and Top Man departments in the Southgate store?

Anybody hear anything?

If Edmonton got a Top Shop/Top Man, that would be awesome!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NielCole View Post
    Not a "new" store but I noticed that both the main and second floors of The Bay today have large sections in the ladies and mens wear sections tarped off and seem to be undergoing some sort of update.

Could that mean that Edmonton is going to get sizable Top Shop and Top Man departments in the Southgate store?

Anybody hear anything?
    Would love this!!!

C2E Continued Contributor

^^checked their website. Wow. That place rocks!
    My antidepressent drug of choice is running. Cheaper with less side effects!

Topman/TopShop are awesome. Would love to see one of these in southgate or in the bay downtown.

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...ad.php?t=24681

Could this be Bloomingdales instead of Top Shop/Top Man?

I am going to predict topshop/topman since they already have departments in the HBC's in downtown Toronto and Vancouver, and since Southgate is our "flagship" it makes more sense to me as if the do a "Bloomingdales" I suspect that Edmonton is not first on the list of HBC branches for that.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Aug. 12, 1970: Southgate Shopping Centre opens

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...101/story.html

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Aug. 12, 1970: Southgate Shopping Centre opens

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...101/story.html
    God that just sends me back.....I think I was the kid in the white t shirt...LOL That crowd just looks like your average "Long Weekend" shopping at the mall crowd now.

Back then we just it Southgate every 2 weeks in a Friday night when it was time for mom to stock up on groceries at Woodwards.

My allowance of $2 and off to either the record or book department. sigh. Back in the days when you could wander around a store by yourself and not get molested or kidnapped.
    Last edited by NielCole; 17-08-2012 at 02:54 PM.

So HBC Southgate is definitely changing it's departments around as I noticed this afternoon on the second floor merchandising/stock staff was busy shifting brands and fixtures around.

The major things I noticed,

The earlier post I made about the possibility of TOPMAN coming into where the mens socks and underwear are was a bust because they just redid the area back to mens socks and underwear.

BUT the ladies lingerie has been moved off the 2nd floor and that space is now begining to fill with luggage and lots of newly freed adjoining space there seems to be filled up with exisiting clothing brands making room for new brands as the conversion is underway. (Hopefully TOPMAN)

The Pharmacy space on the second floor has been cleared out, and alot of brand shifting has occured in regards to Bench, and the HBC Olympic/Heritage brands have been shuttled around. Levis is less crowded better merchandised.

A new mens Danish brand has been brought in next to Mexx. I will forgot the name (Brothers & something) but in Danish. I will see if I can look it up and update the post.

Looks like Southgate's HBC is really getting the "flagship" lines that the company seemed to overlook though the store is the largest in the city.

I am going to predict topshop/topman since they already have departments in the HBC's in downtown Toronto and Vancouver, and since Southgate is our "flagship" it makes more sense to me as if the do a "Bloomingdales" I suspect that Edmonton is not first on the list of HBC branches for that.
    I am in Toronto as I write,and there is a Topshop /Topman full selection store in the Bay's Yorkdale Mall.
    I'm having people over later to stare at their phones,if you want to drop by

Quote Originally Posted by Barry N View Post
    I am in Toronto as I write,and there is a Topshop /Topman full selection store in the Bay's Yorkdale Mall.
    I saw the TopShop/TopMan departments in the Queen Street Store last year so I do expect that Southgate will get them.

The only Danish men's clothing brand I can think of is Jack & Jones
    Don't feed the trolls!

Quote Originally Posted by ScottieA View Post
    Jack and Jones is Dutch....LOL. I believe. I am going to look on the Bay website, since they had "New to HBC" signage in the aisles promoting this new line as Danish.....

Nope, Jack & Jones is Danish. It's one of Bestseller's brands: Bestseller.
    Don't feed the trolls!

Nope, Jack & Jones is Danish. It's one of Bestseller's brands: Bestseller.
    Well it least I got it right with a "D" word....LOL.

@NielCole you seem like you would know, any idea on how thorough this reno of the Bay southgate is? was just there a few days ago and man is it ever looking tired/dated (not to mention dirty - the carpet could use a good washing).
    on a similar topic (yet slightly off topic) why is it that our department stores here seem so outdated, stale, and sometimes dirty when compared to other countries where they are flashy and gleaming. I will admit i have not been to the Bay in other canadian cities, so is it just Edmonton's locations that are this dull?

Quote Originally Posted by Perspective View Post
    @NielCole you seem like you would know, any idea on how thorough this reno of the Bay southgate is? was just there a few days ago and man is it ever looking tired/dated (not to mention dirty - the carpet could use a good washing).
    on a similar topic (yet slightly off topic) why is it that our department stores here seem so outdated, stale, and sometimes dirty when compared to other countries where they are flashy and gleaming. I will admit i have not been to the Bay in other canadian cities, so is it just Edmonton's locations that are this dull?
    I am guessing that this "reno" is more of a brand and fashion update than anything structural. I will agree the carpets need better maintenance. But to he honest it looks just like anyother HBC store I have been in lately.

In the past month I have been through The Bay in Kelowna, Red Deer, Chinook, Southcentre, Market Mall in Calgary, Richmond Centre, Lougheed Centre and Oakridge in the Lower Mainland.

While they have all been updated with new brands and stock and a more White wall with Black brand signage on the interiors it is obvious they are not doing "total" in regards to lighting, walls, new carpets sort of update.

Compared to Chinook, Oakridge, Lougheed and Red Deer here in Southgate and DT have been really cleaned up (The Oakridge still has the exact same cosmetics styled ceiling that Woodwards remodeled in the late 80's had that was identical to the former Woodwards in WEM)

Besides the total gutting of the DT Vancouver store that is in process I think the mall branches are just getting good "flossing" but nothing major.

In regards to overseas department stores I think the answer to that is "High Street" shopping is still the major focus still, Yes huge new malls are popping up across Europe, Asia etc but the limited space really makes it harder to go all the way on big box centres like North Americans like.

Harrods, Selfridges etc, love creating the attractions that draw global shoppers to thier flagship stores while here in North America things have really slipped.
    Last edited by NielCole; 29-08-2012 at 06:45 PM.

^thanks for the thorough reply!

"Me" find and "we" learn....LOL

Bruun & Stengade.... based in Copenhagen

www.thebay.com/eng/etc/men_bruun-stengade_EN.cfm

Not cheap but not "totally" over the top either. The long sleeve shirts were $98.00 in the new department at Southgate.....
    Last edited by NielCole; 30-08-2012 at 12:14 AM.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Is Southgate starting to lose its lustre? Jacob is closing at Southgate and Kingsway, but staying open in City Centre, WEM and South Common:

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...881/story.html

Southgate has several empty spaces now.

Jacob was dealing with low sales and financial cutbacks last year I believe they were adapting to avoid receivership. Probably Southgate and Kingsway were charging them too much.

Also the Jacob store in WEM did move into the former Tommy Hilfiger space that is much smaller than where the old store was (now Pottery Barn)

Retail shifts all the time. Both Southgate and Kingsway are very attractive in the retail scene so Southgate or Kingsway are not declining (aside perhaps from Sears) but Sears is slipping nationwide so that is a nationwide retail issue for malls.

Southgate is getting a Lego store... I can't wait.

Now, my pocketbook has been crying ever since the news came.

I wonder which location it's going to be.. old HMV? Dansk?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast