Thread: Five Guys Burgers

Default Five Guys Burgers

Anyone tried 'em yet?

Burger chain that originated in the DC area. Like In N' Out, a very basic menu but they do have hot dogs. Obama supposedly loves the burgers. Saw a sign for one in Airdrie when I was down in Calgary and wondered if it was the same chain. Apparently it is and they have a location in Sherwood Park and one opening soon in St. Albert.

C2E Posting Power

Its good, I dare say even worth waiting in line for.

I'd rather C2E than work!

While we are waiting here is their Canadian website....

http://fiveguys.ca/home.aspx

I like, but don't order the full size one (its huge). There is one in Calgary and Airdire.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Tried them in Medicine Hat last summer and was really impressed. Can't wait to see if they hold up here.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

How are their fries, anybody tried their Cajun fries?
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

First One is Always Free

Weird that Edmonton is the fast food, commercial business, launching pad and we're the last to get a franchise. St. Albert before Edmonton? I didn't think people in St. Albert ate anything as common as a burger. I've had them in states before and they are great. Share the fries!.

^Perhaps not so odd, it seems that Torontonians have to drive out to Mississauga or Vaughn to get their Five Guys fix.
    Last edited by norwoodguy; 20-02-2011 at 12:36 PM. Reason: grammar
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

I also find it odd that Sherwood Park has a Fulton Market Burger (the first outside of Ontario, if I remember right).

Quote Originally Posted by dekeorama View Post
    Weird that Edmonton is the fast food, commercial business, launching pad and we're the last to get a franchise. St. Albert before Edmonton? I didn't think people in St. Albert ate anything as common as a burger. I've had them in states before and they are great. Share the fries!.
    I hope they do well in St Al. The McDonalds on the west side of the Trail on that corner is probably one of the worst I have been in as far as service goes.

5 guys has a sort of "rural" feel to it, so St Alberts a pretty good location for them I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    I also find it odd that Sherwood Park has a Fulton Market Burger (the first outside of Ontario, if I remember right).
    I don't find it odd. Sherwood Park has one of the largest disposable income per capita in Canada. I've always been surprised at the lack of retail and restaurants the are in the sherwood park area, but that has changed a lot in the last 5 years.
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

I went to a Five Guys in Alexandria, VA (didn't really notice the "rural" feel to it that moahunter mentioned) a couple of years ago while visiting my brother. Pretty damn delicious burger -- unhealthy as hell, of course...

^maybe its just the Calgary one? It is done up like a barn, with wood tables, sacks of potatoes, etc. I haven't been to any others, so not sure.

Theres not one in SP that i'am aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by steve semchuk View Post
    Village Market
    993 Fir Road, Unit 60
    Sherwood Park, AB T8A 4M2

Tel: 780-416-7710
    Fax: 780-416-7797
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Thanks .....Will be checking it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steve semchuk View Post
    Village Market
    993 Fir Road, Unit 60
    Sherwood Park, AB T8A 4M2

Tel: 780-416-7710
    Fax: 780-416-7797
    Where the former Pizza Hut was, off of Wye Rd. Coming soon? Wild Wings in the vacancy next to 5 guys.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

After seeing the post here about five guys..... the curiosity got to this burger connoissuer..... ( or junkie)...... It is just south of the london drugs in sher pk .... I walked in to find the place packed and a line at the till....... the staff was more than willing to serve me with a smile ... the cooking area was simple and clean... I watched as the staff made other patrons creations and noticed from a far that it looked to be a pretty good burger.... when I did get mine I sat down opened up the foil and realized that I was in for a battle....... with two patties and all the trimmings this was a big burger......My first bite I noticed that I could taste all the condiments and all the garnishes... I also noticed that the beef had some flavor to it and the bun was fresh with the taste of an IGA dinner roll ... When finished I realized that the burger had won the battle......... I could feel juice(not grease) on my face ... some of the trimmings had fallen out on my shirt ..... an I was full...... the burger was soo good I pondered another one... but decided that that was foolishness ..... I have had a burger in my day but i will rate this almost number one( Wally burger at Wally's in Grassland AB IS the best) ... My self, wife and daughter all ate for just north of 25 bucks , which is better that Fulton Market and Fatburger.....I have no ties to five guys ..... just letting the world that they have a great burger.... Go and enjoy

Wow.... that.... was.... a.... lot.... of..... periods.... and.... no.... sentences....

It is called broadcast style writing Gord........ I didn't know this was an English class.... and where is your sentence?
    Last edited by roblau; 21-02-2011 at 02:40 PM.

Well they sure picked their spots - great highway advertising along QEII (Airdrie) and Deerfoot. There was a billboard somewhere around Red Deer I think and then we definately noticed the Airdire location and the Calgary location in the Glenmore mall. Not sure how accessible they were. Will likely hit up the SP location one of these days at lunch.

With this and Dee-lux and a few other gourmet burger places its nice to see the burger getting the respect it deserves!

^ Just indulged in a Five Guys burger today. Had a cheeseburger "all the way" (all the condiments) and fries. Burger is solid but no better (in fact maybe not as good) as Rodeo Burger at the University. Two other things, slow and kind of expensive. Cheeseburger, reg fries and water - $13.50.

The fries were great, best I've had at a fast food place.

However, it's always about the burger. This was a good, solid burger but not the best. It is not the transcendent experience a double-double is at In N' Out. To sum up: Not quite good enough for more than an occassional foray to the burbs.

C2E SME

I've gone to Five Guys twice - great burgers, but probably not the healthiest choice.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Friday night at supper and the place was packed to the teeth. The long wait for food served two purposes; seats in the dining area were freed up and free peanuts for munching. The value is definitely there. Burger was good and the fries were tasty. I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between it and Rodeo Burger (I like Rodeo Burger). The real selling point for Five Guys is the simplicity of their menu board. Worth a trip to Sherwood Park? If you're going that way perhaps.

Five guys being built in Windermere, I think this is Edmontons first location. This is awesome for me cause I live in South Terrwillegar and their burgers are quite tasty.

One opening (if not already) in SEC as well.

That's great news about the 2 southside locations

I work in windermere, this wont be good for the waist line.

C2E Long Term Contributor

I take it these guys don't like opening their outlets in urban cores, do they?

http://fiveguys.ca/en/locations/stor...-province.aspx
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

ive eaten at a five guys in the states twice. the first time it was amazing best burger and fries ever. the next week i went back and ordered the same thing but i asked for less salt on my fries. guess they didn't like that cause what i got was beyond disgusting.

I hope the Edmonton locations are more like my first experience and not the 2nd one.
    be offended! figure out why later...

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by roblau View Post
    .... when I did get mine I sat down opened up the foil and realized that I was in for a battle....... with two patties and all the trimmings this was a big burger......My first bite I noticed that I could taste all the condiments and all the garnishes... I also noticed that the beef had some flavor to it and the bun was fresh with the taste of an IGA dinner roll ... When finished I realized that the burger had won the battle......... I could feel juice(not grease) on my face ... some of the trimmings had fallen out on my shirt ..... an I was full...... the burger was soo good I pondered another one...
    Punctuation be damned! My mouth was watering just reading this review! Well done.

this definitely confirms the above about five guys at windermere http://www.currentswindermere.ca/use...ite%20Plan.pdf

I wonder if Channing is my neighbor...

and yeah, this does not bode well for my waistline. Tim Hortons & Five Guys opening in Windermere...

Is there one still opening in St. Albert?

I miss Fuddrucker's
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

Quote Originally Posted by 24karat View Post
    I miss Fuddrucker's
    I do too There is one in Saskatoon though
    http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...m&z=12&iwloc=A

I do like 5 Guys burgers, they have pretty good fries too... but as already mentioned more then likely unhealthy as h*ll

bit of advice for you guys, always ask for no salt on your fries, the default amount is obscene.
    be offended! figure out why later...

C2E SME

So there will be a location in Windermere, anyone here of any other locations?
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

anyone know when the SEC one will be open?

anyone know if a downtown one will open?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

^I might be wrong, but I don't "think" that's their model. Just a few per city in box store complexes and similar (mind you, I guess Fat Burger is downtown).

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    anyone know if a downtown one will open?
    I'm assuming the 102 st would be downtown

Edmonton

Coming Soon!
    102nd Street NW
    Edmonton, ABT6N 1M3
    Hours: 11am-10pm Every Day

http://fiveguys.ca/en/locations/stor...-province.aspx

unfortunately, you are assuming wrong. This is referring to the South Edmonton Common location.

^^ Yep, just look up the postal code in that address

I would like to own that franchise location, if the one by IKEA in Calgary is anything to go by, that one is always packed. This will make a mint for the owners. Fatburger will lose quite a bit of business there.

^^ Yep, just look up the postal code in that address
    Missed that T6. I'm old. Get off my lawn!

C2E SME

unfortunately, you are assuming wrong. This is referring to the South Edmonton Common location.
    I'm just wondering about that because they are listing the Windermere location, SEC locatin and 102st location.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    I'm just wondering about that because they are listing the Windermere location, SEC locatin and 102st location.
    They do have 3 "coming soon" spots, but both the SEC and the 102nd location have (different) SEC Postal Codes.

Very strange.

Ate there Friday. I liked it, it was good, not the crazy good but good. I wasn't super hungry but the single patty burger was enough for me, it was lunch for us so two single burgers and splitting an order of fries was enough. And the fries were good too, fresh cut.

One small detail: I liked the decor, it was a refreshing change... but the signs on the wall had been printed on coroplast. I dunno, I couldn't help but think some MDF or even plywood (let the grain show through a bit) would have looked a little less "we're not sure this is going to be open in 6 months" and more on-theme than corrugated plastic.
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

I like it there. the burgers are good, but they're quite expensive. Rodeo Burger opened up in Namao center and It's just as good. And cheaper.

Rodeo Burger is also in the University area too.

Is the SEC (five guys) location now open?

^ Their website lists the status as still 'Coming Soon '. I was at SEC on Sunday and glanced over at their site and it looks like they should be close to opening. Maybe they are shooting for a May long weekend opening
    Noah's ark was built by volunteers...... The Titanic was built by professionals.

Junction better than both and even cheaper.

http://www.junctionedmonton.com/
    Last edited by IanO; 12-04-2012 at 08:19 AM.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

I prefer Rodeo Burger and their Mexican gig next store better than any of the other chains. Fresh, using quality ingredients without preservatives (making their own relish, unfortunately they don't make their own buns anymore), and thus relatively healthy. LOVE! Mmmmmmm!

^Burrito Libre. Canadian owned group out of BC too. Started out as a Little Caesars/Pizza Pizza franchise operator and they decided to start their own concepts, and I think they're doing a hell of a job.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    ^Burrito Libre. Canadian owned group out of BC too. Started out as a Little Caesars/Pizza Pizza franchise operator and they decided to start their own concepts, and I think they're doing a hell of a job.
    Agreed. I wish they had a few more locations. I assume they're looking to open more and just being cautious about expanding too quickly.

on their facebook today:

Five Guys Burgers and Fries
    6 hours ago
    Attention Alberta, Canada! Have you heard Five Guys is NOW OPEN in Edmonton?! We’re located at 10161-13th Ave NW, Edmonton, Alberta T6N 0B6.

Partially Addicted to C2E

^ that's barely in "Edmonton"...

South Edmonton Common is certainly well within Edmonton.

C2E Continued Contributor

Tried it today and it was good! Standard burgers are doubles with whatever toppings you choose at no extra cost. Also tried the fries in the regular size and it seems it's a practice for them to put the rather large and full container in the bag then toss another scoop into the bag??? Watched the guy do it several times! The burgers are big and I might even say better than the nearby fat burger. The patties are cooked on a flattop and not grilled. The fries we had were the cajun fries and were great!!! The fries are simply sprinkled with the companies Cajun seasoning. Well worth it IMHO even though it's not very cheap... $22 for 2 cheeseburgers 1 reg size fries and a medium self serve fountain drink that includes free refills. I would say stick to the single patty "kids" burgers if you can't handle a double as that's what the standard burger is.

yup that's a normal serving of fries - a regular can feed 3 people easily, i saw a group of guys each order large fries once - they looked a little shocked when they saw how many fries they had in their bag

the cajun fries - i didn't like so much its just a cajun spice mix thrown on them and its quite spicy and dry

I tried the regular the first time - ever since i've gotten the little one - the regular is just far too big

^had pretty much the same exact experience as the last couple posts.

Lineup out the door on Saturday afternoon. Loved the music in there and the free refills and peanuts. I ordered far too much food though, and the cajun fries were just way too seasoned.

Was in the Capilano area this evening so I decided to finally give Five Guys Burgers a try for dinner. I heard all the raves, so I figured it was time to experience it for myself.

Had a Bacon Burger with a coke, kept the toppings to a minimum (onions, relish, ketchup) for maximum burger taste. Not really knowing the 5G menu that well, I was pleasantly surprised to find two patties inside the bun. Overall I quite liked my burger, definitely better than Burger's Priest I must say. The wait for my food wasn't as long. It was way less greasy (my last B'sP burger spilled enough grease to lube up the engine of a Ford F-550). Plus I didn't walk away feeling like I was on the verge of an explosive mud butt.

My only critiques:
    a) that one of the two zit farmers behind the counter could have taken the time to wipe down some tables, or for the walrus-arsed diners to eat less like pigs
    b) the chain would lower themselves to open in a more central urban location

^ I find 5 guys very dirty inside as well. I went when the first one in the city opened and liked it, but stopped a while ago. Every time I go in it is scummy from the floor up.

Burgers are ok, but barely a step up from sweatpantville.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Burgers are ok, but barely a step up from sweatpantville.
    ^ what does starbucks have to do with five guys Ian?

Maybe in your hood
    www.decl.org

Was in the Capilano area this evening so I decided to finally give Five Guys Burgers a try for dinner. I heard all the raves, so I figured it was time to experience it for myself.

Had a Bacon Burger with a coke, kept the toppings to a minimum (onions, relish, ketchup) for maximum burger taste. Not really knowing the 5G menu that well, I was pleasantly surprised to find two patties inside the bun. Overall I quite liked my burger, definitely better than Burger's Priest I must say. The wait for my food wasn't as long. It was way less greasy (my last B'sP burger spilled enough grease to lube up the engine of a Ford F-550). Plus I didn't walk away feeling like I was on the verge of an explosive mud butt.

My only critiques:
    a) that one of the two zit farmers behind the counter could have taken the time to wipe down some tables, or for the walrus-arsed diners to eat less like pigs
    b) the chain would lower themselves to open in a more central urban location

Post of the year.