Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 283435363738
Results 3,701 to 3,793 of 3793

Thread: The All Inclusive Smart Phone War

I'd rather C2E than work!

. Apple’s iPhone 6s battery problem is a lot worse than we thought, and the company just confirmed it.

http://bgr.com/2016/12/06/iphone-6s-shutdowns-battery-drain/
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Default Samsung Galaxy S8 to Drop Headphone Jack

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    3. Adaptor is nice but doesn't deal with the issue of charging and listening at the same time.
    It's not "nice". It's a cludge solution to a problem they created by removing the jack in the first place.
    I'm curious to see what you and some of the Android fanboys react when the next generation of Samsungs ditch the jack. Times change, I'm sure many old fogeys were upset when the floppy drive was dropped as well.
    Lol, guess who called it:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/12...eadphone-jack/

Where is the outrage? Waiting... We had about 20 posts from Android fanboys (who tend to be Trump supporters per the stats) saying how bad and evil Apple was for doing this. Now that pretty much every Android maker is doing the same, and even their flagship Samsung is dumping it, we get, "silence"...
    Last edited by moahunter; 09-12-2016 at 08:54 AM.

Interesting the rumours include dropping the physical home button similar to rumours for the iPhone 8.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

3. Adaptor is nice but doesn't deal with the issue of charging and listening at the same time.
    It's not "nice". It's a cludge solution to a problem they created by removing the jack in the first place.
    I'm curious to see what you and some of the Android fanboys react when the next generation of Samsungs ditch the jack. Times change, I'm sure many old fogeys were upset when the floppy drive was dropped as well.

Where is the outrage? Waiting...
    I'm outraged. Actually probably incredulous is a better word. I don't see the point.

Happy to hear they're finally switching to usb-c however. Maybe now it won't be so hard to find cables and chargers.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    Interesting the rumours include dropping the physical home button similar to rumours for the iPhone 8.
    Android without a physical home button is nothing new but what's this about the iPhone doing it?

^its been talked about for a bit, next model will be all glass, and the button will be under the glass - still a home button, but not a physical one. The taptic thing was a step in that direction, next iphone completes the step.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2016/09...ne-7-to-shame/

Supposedly Apple has about 10 concepts they are testing right now. I'm curious if they include wireless charging in first version, it wouldn't surprise me if they decide to save that for the second or third years (that would be typically Apple).

Apple is now starting to beat Intel in speed, and they are doing it with minimal increase in power drain (so no need for the supped up batteries Androids require).

http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/16/12...e-intel-future

It’s already the case, by sheer force of numbers, that Apple’s A series of mobile processors are at least as important and market-leading as Intel’s vast portfolio of x86 chips. But the present pseudo-equilibrium between them is being drastically upset by Apple’s leap in performance with the new A10 Fusion. By straying into the performance waters previously reserved for Intel’s laptop CPUs, Apple is teasing us with the question of why not inject the A10 (or its successors) into actual laptops? Why shouldn’t the next MacBook run on the same chip as the current iPhone? Granted, the MacBook’s macOS is based on x86 whereas the A chips all use the ARM architecture, but then an equally interesting question might be whether Apple shouldn’t just bite the bullet and make iOS its universal operating system.

It sounds wild, but the A10 looks to have the power and efficiency to handle the workload of a full PC. This coalescence of mobile and desktop PCs is driven by forces on both sides: mobile chips are getting more potent at the same time as our power needs are shrinking and our tasks become more mobile. If you think your workplace isn’t changing much because there are a bunch of weathered Dell workstations sitting next to frumpy HP printers, consider just how much more work every one of your officemates is doing outside the office, on their phone. And all those grand and power-hungry x86 applications that might have kept people running macOS — Adobe’s Photoshop and Lightroom being two key examples — well, they’re being ported to iOS in almost their full functionality, having been incentivized by the existence of Apple’s iPad Pro line, last year’s harbinger for this year’s performance jump.
    Last edited by moahunter; 09-12-2016 at 09:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post

I'm outraged. Actually probably incredulous is a better word. I don't see the point.

Happy to hear they're finally switching to usb-c however. Maybe now it won't be so hard to find cables and chargers.
    They'll be looking for the same advantage Apple was looking for: more battery space. In Samsung's case given how badly burned they got trying to fit more battery into the Note 7 without making more space I they'll be looking for a way to get more battery without thickening the device.

The key to Apple losing the home button will be the ability to embed TouchID sensors into the screen. I'm curious if this means you'll be able to touch the screen anywhere and have it work or if the sensors will only be in a small part of the screen.

^I think it will be a small location, because of the feedback and the ID. Not sure though.

They'll be looking for the same advantage Apple was looking for: more battery space. In Samsung's case given how badly burned they got trying to fit more battery into the Note 7 without making more space I they'll be looking for a way to get more battery without thickening the device.
    There must be so much money flowing into battery research already, but looking at the financial hit Samsung insured, I can imagine that now much, much more funding for battery research could now be justified. So, I'd expect some miraculous advancements in short order.

http://phys.org/news/2016-10-window-...n-lithium.html

Scientists are turning nuclear waste into super-efficient diamond batteries
    With a half-life of 5,730 years.

These diamonds, which are able to generate their own electrical current, could potentially provide a power source for thousands of years, due to the longstanding half-life of the radioactive substances they're made from.

"There are no moving parts involved, no emissions generated, and no maintenance required, just direct electricity generation," says geochemist Tom Scott from the University of Bristol in the UK.

"By encapsulating radioactive material inside diamonds, we turn a long-term problem of nuclear waste into a nuclear-powered battery and a long-term supply of clean energy."
    http://www.sciencealert.com/scientis...mond-batteries
    Last edited by KC; 09-12-2016 at 10:13 AM.

^you keep posting articles about miraculous battery technology (Lithium sulphur, Lithium Air, etc. etc.), but there have been articles like that for more than a decade now, every new battery idea has commercial / manufacturing or physical issues to overcome. Like it or not, the reality is that while its possible another battery technology will catch Lithium Ion, its looking less and less likely anytime soon, because the goal post keep moving as Lithium Ion takes the bulk of dollars today and continues to improve at a rapid pace.

^I think it will be a small location, because of the feedback and the ID. Not sure though.
    More than likely you're right but it would be really cool if you could touch the screen anywhere to unlock it.

^you keep posting articles about miraculous battery technology (Lithium sulphur, Lithium Air, etc. etc.), but there have been articles like that for more than a decade now, every new battery idea has commercial / manufacturing or physical issues to overcome. Like it or not, the reality is that while its possible another battery technology will catch Lithium Ion, its looking less and less likely anytime soon, because the goal post keep moving as Lithium Ion takes the bulk of dollars today and continues to improve at a rapid pace.
    Pretty much. We already have really high energy densities in existing batteries. Getting more is getting exponentially harder and the consequences of screwing it up higher. So while their will be a lot of R&D in battery tech I think more will go into lowering energy consumption in the devices.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Android without a physical home button is nothing new but what's this about the iPhone doing it?
    Exactly. Many iPhone users seem to think Samsung is the only maker of Android phones.

Many Android phones got rid of the physical home button long ago, replacing it with much more effective virtual options.

The DTEK50 Android phone I bought two weeks ago has three small virtual buttons at the bottom of the screen. On the left bottom, a small virtual left arrow takes you to the previous screen. In the middle, a small virtual circle takes you to the default home screen. On the right a virtual square showing all of your open apps in a tiled format, allowing the user to tap back to an app previously used and not closed, or close (clear) all open apps with a single tap.
    Last edited by East McCauley; 09-12-2016 at 11:52 AM.

I was surprised to find out the Samsung's had a physical button. Android phones haven't had one since the Nexus S in 2010 (a Samsung phone). Samsung's Galaxy Nexus didn't have one either.

^not so surprising, Samsung get their design ideas from Apple (the note was an exception, but we all know what happened to that).

has anyone got a google pixel? i am really thinking of getting one. I hear its really good, read an article that said the only fault was it priced to low, they should have passed the premium apple has set but they priced it less than apple, kinda weird.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ all the reviews I have read/watched have it as the best Android phone and/or best smartphone you can buy. Definitely not cheap but I'm holding out for the Really Blue one.

Quote Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
    has anyone got a google pixel? i am really thinking of getting one. I hear its really good, read an article that said the only fault was it priced to low, they should have passed the premium apple has set but they priced it less than apple, kinda weird.
    We have one in the office, I'll check with the guys testing it what they think.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilman View Post
    ^ all the reviews I have read/watched have it as the best Android phone and/or best smartphone you can buy. Definitely not cheap but I'm holding out for the Really Blue one.
    Reviews I have seen suggest that as well, its basically like a slower Iphone 7, which is pretty good for an Android.

Is there a place in town to give one a look?
    I feel in no way entitled to your opinion...

Consensus here is it's a decent Android phone.

Where is the outrage? Waiting... We had about 20 posts from Android fanboys (who tend to be Trump supporters per the stats) saying how bad and evil Apple was for doing this. Now that pretty much every Android maker is doing the same, and even their flagship Samsung is dumping it, we get, "silence"...
    If you have to resort to name calling people "old fogeys", it is probably a good indication you have a weak argument. People use their phones for different things and just because someone finds the headphone jack useful doesn't make them an old fogey, just like me having a Samsung phone doesn't make me a Trump supporter. Sweeping generalizations are seldom that accurate.

Apple made a choice - I understand that, but they need to be big boys and live with the criticism (maybe even try to learn from it - here's a radical thought) and not try to be so dismissive of the critics, some of whom may become former customers when it is time to upgrade from their iphone 6's.

Finally got Nougat on my phone today. Android getting a bit more respectable now. RAM management is better and battery providing a bit more screen-on time.

regarding removal of head-phone jacks. We know why it's done...make phones slimmer but keep battery size the same. This allows the battery to expand to where the headphone jack was. But I find phones are way too thin and light these days. Pixel is made of premium materials but it feels so light, it kind of feels cheap...
    I rather the phone keep some heft and have a good form factor
    Last edited by B.ike; 09-12-2016 at 02:48 PM.

^Nothing against iPhones as such. My wife has one. But they are way over-priced. Charging $899 for an unlocked iPhone 7 with a 4.7 inch screen is highway robbery.

I recently bought an unlocked DTEK50 with a 5.2 inch screen for $299 at Staples, and that's considered high priced compared to some Android phones.

I don't think they're overpriced. The hardware is premium. The software is a different story, but it's the hardware you're paying for.

^In what respect? When I look at the detailed specifications for the DTEK50 and the iPhone 7, or the DTEK60 and the iPhone 7 Plus, the Blackberry Android devices are on par with or exceed those of the iPhones at one-third or one-half of the price respectively. Other Android phones with comparable specifications to the Apple devices (with the exception to a degree of Samsung and Pixel devices) are even cheaper.

Since most of us upgrade our phones every few years, what is the point of having "premium" hardware? I have a 8 year old and a 4 year old mobile phone sitting in my desk drawer that run perfectly fine except that I decided to upgrade to a newer phone.

I'm not talking about specs, but the look and feel and quality of construction. The specs are actually consistently below par. No NFC, wireless charging, removable battery, expandable memory, no back button, etc. However, I think the iPhones have consistently (through the generations) been the best looking. I would never buy one because I hate the software but I love the look and feel of the hardware.

Microsoft is building a new adaptable shell that will be used across all windows devices, including mobile, pc, xbox and hololens. The shell is basically the framework within which windows lives and gives us the taskbar, startmenu, desktop, etc. Currently each type of Windows device has its own shell, but this new shell will be designed to be deployed on all devices but adapt/scale to the appropriate form factor in real time.

"...as it currently stands...full Windows 10 doesn't have a UI that adapts well to screen sizes of less than 6 inches. With this Composable Shell, that wouldn't be an issue because full Windows 10 would be able to switch into "phone-mode", providing an experience one would expect on a Windows 10 Mobile device, except powered by full Windows 10."

"In addition, with the Surface phone also rumored to have a foldable screen, the Composable Shell would simply be able to adapt itself accordingly when folded out. When folded like a phone, Windows 10 will be in phone mode, but when folded out, it'll automatically switch into tablet/desktop mode"

Source

Microsoft awarded patents for a range of foldable devices. Could this be Surface phone? Folds up into a phone, or out into a tablet.

Source

The foldable tablet/phone is a interesting idea. They looked really good in Westworld, it'll be interesting to see how they do in the real world.

I think it's a natural progression but it has to be done right. If it's bulky, awkward or ugly it won't fly.

If it can look like the device shown in this video at the 2:40 mark, then that'd be awesome.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

It will be interesting to see, Samsung and LG have been dangling this carrot for a few years, supposedly this is the year.

That's what they say, and it's about time too. The classic glass hand held tablet is getting a little stale.

Not surprising...

Google placed its own ads first, study claims - BBC News

Excerpt:

The Wall Street Journal reported that in all 1,000 searches for the term "laptop" in the study, the top result was for Google's Chromebook.
    Additionally 98% of searches for "watches" resulted in links to Android smartwatch retailers appearing on top.

Android...

The paper added that after sharing the results with Google many of the ads disappeared - and a BBC test found that other brands including Apple, Lenovo and Apollo now appear to dominate the top of results pages for these terms.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-38690812
    Last edited by KC; 22-01-2017 at 01:27 PM.

Totally not surprised, as this is not the first such story I've read about Google. As a result I have no respect for this company.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

IDC expects Windows Phone to hit 0.0% market share in 2021
    by Surur @mspoweruser
    Mar 3, 2017

The IDC has released their 5-year prediction for smartphone market share today, and it does not read too optimistically for Windows Phone, predicting further loss of its already minuscule market share, despite a growing smartphone market.

Of course regular readers would know IDC’s reports tell you are about the current trend than what would actually happen in the future, but then the trend for falling Windows Phone market share is not new and pretty well established.

The IDC writes:

Windows Phone continues to decline as a share of the smartphone space as many OEMs have given up producing phones for the platform. As a result, IDC expects 2017 volumes to decline 69.5% to just 1.8 million units. It is unclear at this time if Microsoft has a clear plan to persuade OEMs to get back on board with the platform, or if it plans to release a device itself like it did with Surface devices. Until this production question is addressed, IDC doesn’t see a clear path to turning around the platform.
    https://mspoweruser.com/idc-expects-...et-share-2021/

The IDC is being very optimistic, I would have guessed 2018 lol.
    Last edited by Hilman; 03-03-2017 at 09:23 AM.

How useless is it to predict the future based on current trends? Trends change.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

It only has to decrease 0.3% points to be correct, it isn't exactly far off lol.

Do you honestly see it rising? If so how? (and don't use the word Continuum or Surface phone in your response)

I do see it rising in the future, for sure. You might have noticed that Microsoft has been on a roll lately creating new category defining products. Surface tablet, book, studio, hololens, etc. They're going to do the same with the Surface phone. It's not going to be just another phone with slick edges. It's going to be category defining. That's how the market share will increase. They're going to create a brand new market. Everybody said they were crazy to try to build a windows tablet. Even made fun of them for writing off so many RT tablets. Now look. Everybody and his dog is building and selling windows tablets. Even Samsung. The cell phone hasn't changed in ten years, but it's only a matter of time, don't you think?

And by the way. If you ask somebody a question, unless you're hosting a game show, you don't get to tell them what words they can or can not use in their answer. That's just stupid.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

The reason I said that is because I KNEW you were going to say the Surface phone, so predictable. That's the unicorn that the MS diehards think will magically save that division. It's time to accept the facts, Windows phones are dead, done, kaput.

I see you are still in the denial stage lol.
    Last edited by Hilman; 03-03-2017 at 06:36 PM.

Go and learn what Windows 10 is all about and then come back. You're still talking like it's 2009.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

What's there too learn? There are almost no handsets for sale, carriers are dropping them like the plague and they have no market share. Even the diehards on the MS fanboy sites have given up hope, time to face reality, Windows 10 will save their mobile division like 8 was going to, 7.5 before that and 7 before that.

After 7 years, they barely sold a million units last quarter, an 81% drop and have a 0.3% share of new sales. What else needs to happen for you to accept it's fate?
    Last edited by Hilman; 03-03-2017 at 07:21 PM.

What's there to learn? With that you just proved my point. You think it's just another mobile alternative. You have no idea what you're talking about. If it was just another mobile alternative don't you think MS would've given up on it by now? Yet, they haven't. And you don't know why that is.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Sorry Vincent, you have no clue what I know. I have been following technology for years and read/watch numerous technology sites on a daily basis. I have been getting new handsets yearly since the early days on Windows Mobile 5 and in my opinion, Windows is as good as dead when it comes to their operating system. The unicorns of Continuum and UWP are not going to resurrect it.

I'm glad you like it but there comes a point when you need to face the facts. Windows Phones came out in 2010 and has almost no market share. They have literally spent billions and billions of dollars to achieve what, and 0.3% market share? MS will continue to try to make more traction in their iOS and Android apps as that's where 99.7% of the users are. Do a Google search for Windows phones, most of the recent news is about low market share, OEM's ditching the Windows O/S or app developers stopping to develop/support their apps. At any rate, enjoy your Windows phone while it last, I'm done trying to show you the light.

Gee, you're too kind, trying to show me the light. Let me ask you this; what do you think the mobile phone landscape will look like 5 or 10 years from now?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Windows free lol.

See. You have no vision. You can only see what's in front of your eyes. How do you ever expect to be able to predict the future like that?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

New TAG Heuer smart watch running Android Wear, only $1,650 to $7,000+ US lol.

Yesterday, we shared news of the TAG Heuer Connected Modular 45, a part of the company’s Carrera line and the latest smartwatch from TAG Heuer, one that takes on the modular trend of the moment in order to create a timepiece that is both techie and haute horlogerie. It’s both a smartwatch and a mechanical watch.

The watch, as a smartwatch, features a 1.39-inch AMOLED display powered by an Intel chipset and Android Wear 2.0 (with NFC). It also features GPS, 512MB RAM, 4GB storage, Bluetooth, WiFi, and 5ATM water resistance, but doesn’t carry the cellular component of watches like LG’s Watch Sport. It’s very much an updated model to the original TAG Heuer Connected.

The Connected Modular 45 stands out because of that previously mentioned modularity. Instead of a 2-year swap-out program, like we saw with the original Connected, where owners get to trade-in their smartwatch to TAG Heuer, hand over another $1,500, and receive a mechanical watch replacement, the Modular 45 allows owners to do the swapping. The Connected Modular 45 can be turned into a mechanical watch by swapping out the Connected module for a traditional timepiece (sold separately), along with the lugs, strap, and buckle.
    http://www.droid-life.com/2017/03/14...-now-purchase/

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Every time I look at a nice Tag Carrera I'm like "damn, that's a nice watch, I should pick one up". Then I remember I hate wearing watches and I could buy a motorcycle for the same price.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Looks like Movado is going to have 5 Android Wear watches coming out soon starting at $495 US.

U.S.-based watchmaker Movado Group announced that a new collection of smartwatches powered by Android Wear 2.0 will be released in 2017. The collection, known as Movado Connect, should have five men’s styles starting at $495. The smartwatches will feature customizable dials, access to Android Pay, activity tracking, and always-on displays.
    http://www.talkandroid.com/311286-go...s-partnership/

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Montblanc Intros $890 Android Wear Watch With No GPS, No NFC and No LTE

Another luxury watch brand is jumping into the smartwatch game: Montblanc. With its new watch called Summit, Montblanc seems intent on challenging TAG Heuer for the high-end smartwatch market, a space currently owned occupied by TAG. We can’t exactly say TAG owns the space, given they don’t really have any competition at this time.

Montblanc’s piece is similar in styling to a few of LG’s Android Wear devices, most notably the Watch Urbane 2, but Montblanc stresses the use of premium materials in the watch’s creation. The Summit is a big watch, sporting a 1.39-inch AMOLED display (400 x 400) and powered by a Snapdragon Wear 2100 processor, 512MB RAM, as well as a 300mAh battery.

Buyers will also have plenty of options, with Montblanc set to offer four different casings: Black PVD coated stainless steel, bi-color stainless steel case with a black PVD coated stainless steel bezel, stainless steel case with satinated finish, plus a grade 5 titanium case with a satinated finish. As for watch bands, there’s plenty of those, too. There are rubber options in black, blue, green or red, plus a variety of calfskin leather color choices. As you might expect, the different options will result in a different price.
    http://www.droid-life.com/2017/03/16/montblanc-summit/

^probably should be in smartwatch thread. I'm very happy with my Fossil Q Crewmaster - provides exactly what I need (it buzzes for calendar invites, tracks sleep, steps, and syncs time to phone), and doesn't require charging (just easily change the cheap battery every 9 months or so). It looks awesome (no different really from an Omega Seamaster), and only cost $200 at a Fossil store.

Fossil also has the Android screen type watches, I don't like em (don't really like apple watch either), I tried pebble round for a bit but annoying to have to charge all the time - I think nice for kids, but a real analogue watch looks nicer for adults.
    Last edited by moahunter; 17-03-2017 at 09:47 AM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ Agreed, nice looking watch, did you get the Android Wear 2.0 update yet? I got the ASUS Zenwatch 3 back in December and really like it.

^the Q crewmaster / grant and a few others are hybrid smart watches, I don't think they are really android. Just an app that syncs to move the analogue hands (not a digital screen). The Fossils are surprisingly nice and well made for the price, there are more than 70 models now, both digital screen and hybrid:

https://www.fossil.com/us/en/wearabl...170317155742:s
    Last edited by moahunter; 17-03-2017 at 09:57 AM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Very cool, I used to buy Fossil watches every time I was in Vegas, love their outlet store.

In the market for a new phone now that my LG G3's screen is conking out. Loved this phone as the screen size is large compared to the actual phone. My only issue with the phone is that a) it's too slippery, and b) it's too big for my hands with a decent case. Looking forward to the G6, feeling it's going to be better than the "what were they thinking G5". Am looking at both Pixels as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JBear View Post
    Looking forward to the G6,
    Isn't there a song about flying in a G6? interesting name.

The song that was about flying in a G6 but many people thought they were talking about the Pontiac G6. Yes.

Yeah I suppose it's interesting. They also have another line of phones (phablets actually) called the V-series.

Giving less of a damn than ever… Happily ignoring the ignorant rather than getting in a battle of wits with unarmed opponents. Proudly banned from SSP.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

The LG G6 has gotten a lot of good reviews from what I have read, I loved my G2 a few years ago. The screen looks awesome, the amount of bezel (or lack there of) is how all phones should be. It fits a 5.7" screen in a much smaller footprint then other phones (picture shows a 5.5" iP7+).

http://i-cdn.phonearena.com/images/a...-Plus---11.jpg

The LG G6 comes out on April 7th in Canada, http://mobilesyrup.com/2017/03/14/lg...launch-canada/
    Last edited by Hilman; 17-03-2017 at 11:00 AM.

The song that was about flying in a G6 but many people thought they were talking about the Pontiac G6. Yes.

Yeah I suppose it's interesting. They also have another line of phones (phablets actually) called the V-series.

Like a G6

Also the Samsung S8 will have a similar design cue with small bezels

Pre-ordered the G6 yesterday. Was hoping the G3 would've lasted at least another "generation" longer but oh well.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

The G6 looks awesome as does the officially announced S8 today.

Up front, you have a Galaxy S8 with a 5.8-inch QHD Super AMOLED “Infinity” display, while the Galaxy S8+ sports a 6.2-inch version. There are minimal bezels here, on-screen buttons, and Gorilla Glass 5. The design is quite stunning, even if we have seen it over and over again during the past few weeks.

As for the other specs, you’ve got a Snapdragon 835 processor (10nm) in the US, 64GB storage (with microSD slot), 4GB RAM, 12MP Dual Pixel f/1.7 rear camera, 8MP f/1.7 front camera, USB Type-C ports, IP68 dust and water resistance, and fast wired and wireless charging. The S8 features a 3000mAh, while the S8+ has a 3500mAh cell. The full specs can be found here.
    http://www.droid-life.com/2017/03/29...-s8-galaxy-s8/

3.5 mm headphone jack = courage.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Good news on the head phone jack. My S6 is still going fairly strong, so I might skip the S8, but if I do need to upgrade a head phone jack is basically a requirement for me.

Pretty steep price for the new Galaxy phones.

As for pricing the unlocked Galaxy S8 will sell for $1,035 CAD, while the Galaxy S8+ will become available for $1,115 CAD.
    http://www.androidincanada.ca/androi...unch-official/

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I bet they sell like hotcakes too, people love their phones.

As long as it's a business expense (and for many people it will be) those prices won't be a problem.

Default Hidden feature IOS 10.3

This is what makes me love Apple. A couple of years ago they re-wrote a lot of the code to dramatically shrink the size of the OS, and to make it faster. Now they are quietly bringing in a memory enhancement that will especially improve the quality of older devices that have less memory / are always running out:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/hidden-...pdate-10125879

After upgrading a 256GB iPhone 7 Plus from iOS 10.2.1 to 10.3, the tech site reported a jump in available space from 75.45 GB to 83.26 GB - an increase of 7.81 GB.

People using a 16GB or 32GB iPhone shouldn't expect quite such a big jump in storage capacity. As Apple Insider explains, the more memory you have, the more free space iOS 10.3 will reclaim.

But as we all know, every little helps, and updating to iOS 10.3 means squeezing a few more photos and videos onto your device then it's well worth it.

Be warned though, the new file system means that installing the update takes time. In some cases it may require 30-50 minutes to complete.

Another positive side effect of the update is that many iPhone users are reporting their devices feel noticeably faster and more responsive after installing iOS 10.3
    Only google android devices give you the certainty of regular updates - but even if you get that (and most Android devices don't), Android software just isn't as efficient or optimized as speed tests show (Apples regularly do better even on slower processors, which is why they don't have to risk pushing the boundaries on processors and batteries).

There are also more than 300 security fixes - many of them focused on the flaws that were shown in the Wikileaks documents.
    Last edited by moahunter; 30-03-2017 at 10:01 AM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I found a phone for you Vincent, straight from the MS store

https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-st...ition-devices/

Apple has been in need of a new filesystem for years, as HFS+ had gotten to be a little long in the tooth & ill suited to modern tasks. APFS looks to be a great replacement & designed from the ground up for modern & mobile devices.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Happily ignoring the ignorant rather than getting in a battle of wits with unarmed opponents. Proudly banned from SSP.

I found a phone for you Vincent, straight from the MS store

https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-st...ition-devices/
    Ya, I don't really get that. Well, I kind of do because this Galaxy is the "Microsoft Edition" which basically means it comes preloaded with a bunch of Microsoft software and Cortana, but still, they're sending mixed messages.

On the one hand they're continuing to release regular and major updates for Windows 10 Mobile, and buying patents for mobile hardware and saying that they're committed to mobile and working on building the "ultimate mobile device", etc, but on the other hand they've stopped displaying the Windows phones in their stores, with the exception of the HP, and are now starting to sell Android devices.

This kind of mixed messaging makes it very easy for people to doubt their commitment to mobile.

I bet they sell like hotcakes too, people love their phones.
    Apart from an amazing level of brand loyalty, I get why people over-pay for iPhones. If you want to be part of their ecosystem, you have no alternative than to pay a price that builds in a huge profit margin for Apple.

Question is why are people prepared to pay such a premium for a Samsung phone (Galaxy S8 being only the most recent example), when there are plenty of alternatives in the Android space that have comparable or better specs and are priced hundreds of dollars lower?
    Last edited by East McCauley; 31-03-2017 at 10:09 AM.

It's the design. The Samsung looks nicer than any other Android phone out there.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^^ Good question, comes down to brand loyalty and familiarity imo. If you enjoy a certain brand, why leave? The S8 and G6 are gorgeous looking phones, they make the iPhone's design look stale and antiquated.

It's the design. The Samsung looks nicer than any other Android phone out there.
    True, but its on an already outdated Android version, that will probably never be udated. Clearly anyone buying this phone doesn't care about security. If I had to buy an Android, it would be a Nexus, as much as it might not be as pretty, at least it gives you the latest Android version each update. That pretty Samsung is just an invitation to take all your data. By contrast, every three or four months, my Apple gets better, with newer, faster software that now gives me more memory and has multiple security patches. You either buy a phone that gets worse with time (most Androids), or you get one that improves with constant software updates. I'll pay a premium for the later anyday even if it means it takes a couple of years longer to get the same screen.

^you do realize Apple is releasing a new phone in September that will be every bit as pretty don't you? It will be faster too in real world performance - IOS always is, it isn't bloated with Samsung crap and an OS that isn't tweaked perfectly for the hardware.
    Last edited by moahunter; 31-03-2017 at 10:55 AM.

Should be interesting to see what Apple's got up their sleeve for this year's model. The stretching of the iPhone 6's design language for 3 years definitely has left them feeling a bit stale.

That being said, I do like my 6 well enough I haven't bothered to upgrade for the last 2 years. Does what I want for as long as I need it to in a given day.

Apple phones are pretty too (they always have been), but if you're going to choose an Android, the Samsung is the prettiest. And in terms of security, the fact is most people don't care about that stuff as much as they care about looks and usability. The Samsungs have a great reputation for user satisfaction too and that matters.

My Windows phone gets better with every update too (and I get updates frequently) but on the other hand most people get a new phone every two years anyway, so that's how they get their "updates" on Android.

^^^Your knowledge of Android seems to have been gleaned from Apple fan sites.

I'm assuming you meant Google Pixel, not the discontinued Nexus, when it comes to buying a secure Android phone.

Pretty much all of the high end Android phones (regardless of brand) get the monthly security updates on a timely basis often at the same time as Google's own phones. Many of the midrange Android devices also receive them. I know all of the Blackberry Android phones get the security updates monthly even my lowly DTEK50 which cost me $299 unlocked.

^ And your overstatement of the availability of Android updates comes straight from the Android fan site world.

The vast, vast majority of Android phones are running old, outdated, insecure & unsupported OS versions. About 1/3 of Android devices in the wild are running the last two revisions, combined.

https://developer.android.com/about/...rds/index.html

Versus almost 4 out of 5 active iOS devices running iOS 10:

https://developer.apple.com/support/app-store/

Quote Originally Posted by East McCauley View Post
    Pretty much all of the high end Android phones (regardless of brand) get the monthly security updates on a timely basis often at the same time as Google's own phones.
    So why isn't the Samsung releasing with the latest version of Android then, if that was the case?

What is more disappointing is the Galaxy S8 ships with Android 7.0. Given Android 7.1 is a significant upgrade that’s nearly six months old, it appears Samsung will never fully resolve its promise to deliver timely Android updates.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonk.../#7f2ea1e367d0

The article points out in some respects the phone is weaker than the S7, and the battery may be an issue (bigger screen but same battery output). The fingerprint reader is pretty stupid next to the camera lens.
    Last edited by moahunter; 31-03-2017 at 11:38 AM.

Apple phones are pretty too (they always have been), but if you're going to choose an Android, the Samsung is the prettiest. And in terms of security, the fact is most people don't care about that stuff as much as they care about looks and usability. The Samsungs have a great reputation for user satisfaction too and that matters.

My Windows phone gets better with every update too (and I get updates frequently) but on the other hand most people get a new phone every two years anyway, so that's how they get their "updates" on Android.
    Honestly, I used Android for about 4-5 years and just this year switched to an iPhone after using an S7 before it. While I liked the phone, it regularly got way too hot to touch. I picked it up one day and almost burned my hand. It also shut down a few times with a message saying it was overheating.

That said, the camera was amazing. Much better than the camera on the 6S and its not even close. I've heard the iPhone 7 has a more comparable camera though, so I imagine the 8 will close that gap further. The quick focus on the S7 was crazy though. Too bad about the other issue though and the Note problems at the same time. I wasn't going to do anything about it until that happened, but that put me over the edge. The software on the S7 was just as fast as the 6S I have though. The digitizer on my G3 before the S7 went quite early, unfortunately, which was the reason I had to ditch the G3 early.

The tales of Android being slow and jerky are from several years ago without doubt. Both OS's are fluid these days. There are notable differences of speed between the two in benches, but you don't really see them in day to day use. Anyone that says differently is placing too much bias on benchmarks. There were definitely certain apps that were designed better for certain devices though. Snapchat comes to mind with iOS. Seems much better on iOS. However, there are other apps I use that I seem to recall being a much better experience on Android, too. I think I preferred Android Auto versus Apple Carplay fwiw, too.

You can't really compare Samsung with iPhone models in a fair manner either. They are on completely opposite update cycles 6 months apart. Yes, the S8 looks better than the iPhone 6S/7, but you can pretty much bet that the iPhone 8 will be comparable to the S8. Oddly enough, they have the same generation number of 8!
    Last edited by Moodib; 31-03-2017 at 11:39 AM.

I love how the advertise the S8's QHD display but ship it disabled as upping the resolution to what the specs report flushes battery life down the drain. Comedy gold & a perfect example of what happens when you engineer/design for spec-sheet-superiority rather than real-world end-user benefit.

It is running Nougat though, so even if it's not the latest point release I'm sure an upgrade will be forthcoming to keep it in step with Android mainline. They make a pretty decent efforts on the flagship phones while they're still the flagship & a while longer, though nowhere near as long as Apple supports their hardware.

Default Samsungs biggest challenge now is Google Software not Apple hardware

^Samsung is pretty much between a rock and a hard place. They know they can't up the battery, to allow a faster processor and support that better screen, because batteries have reached the maximum safe performance limits (as they learned the hard way with the Note). The only way they could benefit from all this new hardware, is to downgrade its performance like they have. That's because they have zero control over the software, which is bloated and suboptimized.

By contrast, Apple is using a much less powerful battery (they don't need to run the phone hot to get performance), so they are going to easily upgrade it a bit to support the new specs of the new phone. The Samsung uses a 3,000mAh battery versus the Apple 7 of 1,960mAh (the plus is higher at 2,900, but a different class of phone, and Apples next phone will use the lower energy require OLED).

Samsung is also having all sorts of issues with competing products on the software side with Google as well:

http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/30/15...re-competition

It’s an occupational hazard among gadget geeks to fixate on new hardware, and yesterday’s introduction of the gorgeous Galaxy S8 by Samsung made that easier than ever. I could write for days about how pretty and pleasant that new handset is. But I also notice that the traditional competitive narrative of my smartphone versus your smartphone is starting to fade out of relevance. Samsung may still measure its mobile ventures by the iPhone yardstick, but its bigger challenges these days are coming from Google’s suite of connected services. Yes, the same Google on whose Android shoulders Samsung's Galaxy S8 stands.

To appreciate the importance of software today, ask yourself what was more disruptive: Amazon's Alexa virtual assistant or the Echo speaker that was its first home? Is it Snapchat’s social sharing or the Spectacles camera-glasses that Facebook is trying to copy to death? And, as nice as the Nintendo Switch hardware may be, isn't it the marvelous Zelda: Breath of the Wild (and the promise of more excellent Nintendo games) that's pulling in the majority of new customers? Hardware serves as the foundation for each of those experiences, but it’s in the software that the biggest changes and revolutions happen. Software and the services it enables will be the thing that keeps Samsung going once all of its design and hardware optimizations have been tapped out.
    Last edited by moahunter; 31-03-2017 at 11:57 AM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

The Samsung Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8 Plus will receive an upgrade to Android 7.1.1 Nougat at launch, a person familiar with the matter told Talk Android at yesterday’s Unpacked event in New York City during which the South Korean tech giant officially unveiled its highly anticipated pair of flagships. A “product expert” said that latest stable build of Google’s operating system should be ready for the Galaxy S8 and the Galaxy S8 Plus by the time both phones hit the market in the second half of April. It’s currently unclear whether that means the handsets will run Android 7.1.1 Nougat out of the box or whether Samsung will release an over-the-air (OTA) update around the time they launch, though the latter scenario seems more likely seeing how all preview units of the devices that Samsung showed so far were running Android 7.0.
    https://www.androidheadlines.com/201...at-launch.html

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    I love how the advertise the S8's QHD display but ship it disabled as upping the resolution to what the specs report flushes battery life down the drain. Comedy gold & a perfect example of what happens when you engineer/design for spec-sheet-superiority rather than real-world end-user benefit.

It is running Nougat though, so even if it's not the latest point release I'm sure an upgrade will be forthcoming to keep it in step with Android mainline. They make a pretty decent efforts on the flagship phones while they're still the flagship & a while longer, though nowhere near as long as Apple supports their hardware.
    Not to mention Samsung adds in their own bloated skin and apps on top of Android. Apple, though I hate the closed wall, plays it smart with optimizing their operating system AND hardware and puts out a fantastic phone.

^It shows in performance as well, the Iphone 7 blows the S8 out of the water on most real world performance tests (and every other Android device), via much stronger single core performance. And that's a phone a generation cycle behind.

According to the Geekbench tests, the Galaxy S8+ (SM-G955U) and its Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 chip scored a 1,929 on the single-core test and a 6,084 on the multi-core test. It bests out the Galaxy S7 and its Snapdragon 820 chip, which is the the current top-performing Android phone with a 1,786 single-core and 5,210 multi-core score.

The Pixel XL's got a slightly faster Snapdragon 821 chip than the S7/S7 Edge, but it fares worse than the S7 and S8+ with a 1,577 single-core and 4,020 multi-core scores.

The iPhone 7 and 7 Plus, however, are a different story. With scores of 3,295 and 3,305, respectively, the iPhone 7/7 Plus's A10 Fusion chip blows the S8+ out of the water on the single-core test. The only test the S8+ seems to beat — again, assuming the tests are accurate and the performance isn't throttled before its launch — the iPhone 7/7 Plus is on the multi-core test: 6,084 versus 5,406 (iPhone 7 Plus) and 5,382 (iPhone 7).
    http://mashable.com/2017/03/03/galax.../#6A8Nfr.9q5qY
    Last edited by moahunter; 31-03-2017 at 02:20 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Google Maps turns Edmonton into Ms. Pac-Man playground

You can currently use the navigation app to gobble dots all over the city.

GOOGLE MAPS
    You can now use the app to play Ms Pac-Man in Edmonton.

By: Metro Staff Published on Fri Mar 31 2017

Attention Edmonton gamers: for anyone using the Google Maps app, the city is currently a Ms. Pac-Man playing paradise.

Once again, Google is celebrating April Fools by letting users turn their local streets into a dot-eating playground.

Pac-Man has been available the last two years, but this is the first time his female counterpart is getting her chance to race up and down local streets.

So if you’ve ever wanted to evade ghosts Blinky, Pinky, Inky and Sue on the High Level Bridge or down Jasper Avenue, now’s your chance.

To play pull up the app or check it out online and click on the Ms. Pac-Man icon.
    http://www.metronews.ca/news/edmonto...layground.html

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    The vast, vast majority of Android phones are running old, outdated, insecure & unsupported OS versions. About 1/3 of Android devices in the wild are running the last two revisions, combined.

Just because you are on an older version of the Android OS doesn't mean that the phone is unsupported or doesn't receive security updates. For example, my DTEK50 is on the Marshmallow OS and gets the monthly security updates.

In the Android world most people don't upgrade to a newer OS until they buy a new phone, even when they are given the option of doing so by their OEM. The exception tends to be buyers of higher end phones like Samsung and arguably LG for whom having the latest OS seems to be more important.

Getting back to my original point. I still think Samsung phones are over-priced compared to their Android peers with similar specs by several hundred CDN dollars.
    Last edited by East McCauley; 31-03-2017 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodib View Post

Honestly, I used Android for about 4-5 years and just this year switched to an iPhone after using an S7 before it. While I liked the phone, it regularly got way too hot to touch. I picked it up one day and almost burned my hand. It also shut down a few times with a message saying it was overheating.

That said, the camera was amazing. Much better than the camera on the 6S and its not even close. I've heard the iPhone 7 has a more comparable camera though, so I imagine the 8 will close that gap further. The quick focus on the S7 was crazy though. Too bad about the other issue though and the Note problems at the same time. I wasn't going to do anything about it until that happened, but that put me over the edge. The software on the S7 was just as fast as the 6S I have though. The digitizer on my G3 before the S7 went quite early, unfortunately, which was the reason I had to ditch the G3 early.

The tales of Android being slow and jerky are from several years ago without doubt. Both OS's are fluid these days. There are notable differences of speed between the two in benches, but you don't really see them in day to day use. Anyone that says differently is placing too much bias on benchmarks. There were definitely certain apps that were designed better for certain devices though. Snapchat comes to mind with iOS. Seems much better on iOS. However, there are other apps I use that I seem to recall being a much better experience on Android, too. I think I preferred Android Auto versus Apple Carplay fwiw, too.

You can't really compare Samsung with iPhone models in a fair manner either. They are on completely opposite update cycles 6 months apart. Yes, the S8 looks better than the iPhone 6S/7, but you can pretty much bet that the iPhone 8 will be comparable to the S8. Oddly enough, they have the same generation number of 8!
    What about the operating system? Which operating system do you prefer?

^ Both have their strengths and weaknesses, I guess. I'm not really biased to one or the other. I use a custom camera on the iPhone, which is much better than the default app. I never did find a better one on the S7. The default camera app was awesome, but it wasn't like that on the G3. Arguably, if Apple let other manufacturers make hardware, it would be just as fragmented as Android. One thing that was better on Android was file management and managing the cache of applications. iOS, unfortunately, doesn't always have that with apps. Instead of clearing a cache on an app, you have to delete it lose all your individual settings sometimes. That said, I like the ecosystem of iOS across macOS a lot more than Android. Everything works a lot more seamlessly. Playing my music from my computer or my phone to my Apple TV or even screen playing my computer to Apple TV is effortless. It can be done on Android, but you have to be a bit more savvy to do so and I don't think most users are. Things just work on Apple and if they don't, you hit an Apple store and they fix it with no questions asked.

Daniel Rubino pretty much nails it with this article regarding Microsoft's plans (or lack of plans) for mobile.

Microsoft needs to do a mea culpa for its mobile phone strategy and set the record straight. Next month at Build is a good time for CEO Satya Nadella to do just that.

Give users closure or hope, not mixed messages

Right now, Microsoft is sending mixed messages.
    With no new Lumias and noble, but limited, attempts from
    Alcatel and HP, there is just no compelling Windows phone hardware. Normally, that is enough to call a platform dead, yet Microsoft is continually updating and yes, improving Windows 10 Mobile.

In fact, I can easily make a compelling case that the Windows 10 Mobile Creators Update is significantly better, faster, more reliable, and more fun to use than it was just six months ago. It is obvious Microsoft is improving things. But to what end?

Where is all of this going Microsoft?
    Source

http://www.imore.com/heart-of-the-machine

The Apple A10 Fusion system-on-a-chip (SOC) in iPhone 7 mops the floor with both the Samsung Exynos 8895 and Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 found in the Galaxy S8 when it comes to single threaded operations.
    Both Samsung and Qualcomm's chipsets do perform faster than Apple's A10 Fusion for multicore operations, but there are four high performance and four high-efficiency cores in the Galaxy S8 to the two high performance and two high-efficiency cores in iPhone 7. It literally takes twice the cores to edge ahead in the results ... And, it turns out, their efficiency cores aren't anywhere nearly as efficient as Apple's.
    Rumours are abound that Apple will likely drop 32 bit capability & baggage from this year's A-chips. Interesting stuff.

Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 283435363738