Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 303637383940
Results 3,901 to 3,944 of 3944

Thread: The All Inclusive Smart Phone War

Lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
    So how do you get back to the home screen with gestures?
    Small flick up from the bottom edge. I find easier than the home button as it requires less of a movement and works from anywhere on the bottom edge. Also if you're in landscape it works from whichever edge has become the bottom edge.
    I just got an X. OMG what an upgrade from a 5s. The face ID is truly fantastic - I never liked the touch thing (was inconsistent for me), but the face ID seems to work perfect every time.

I'd rather C2E than work!

I found TouchID worked very well except when my fingers were wet. That screwed it up every time. FaceID is definitely more convenient and works very well. The few times it fails are easily rectified by moving the phone and trying again.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

^I've noticed if you switch of "Require Attention for Face ID" under Face ID & Passcode settings, it makes Face ID work even better.

https://www.cultofmac.com/514173/spe...-id-attention/

Only thing I would like, is it would be nice if didn't have to swipe up.
    Last edited by moahunter; 06-12-2017 at 07:58 AM.

On my phones I've always turned the voice assistant, or at least the listening part, off. I have zero interest in having an always on microphone in my house or on my person.

(Virtually) No one should ever own an Echo or any other "voice assistant" product

If you buy one of those intrinsically insecure, always-on "smart speakers" from Google, Amazon, Apple or other players, you're installing a constantly listening presence in your home that by design listens to every word you say, and which is very likely to suffer at least one catastrophic breach that allows hackers (possibly low-level dum-dums like the ransomware creeps who took whole hospitals hostage this year, then asked for a mere $300 to give them back because they were such penny-ante grifters) to gain access to millions of these gadgets, along with machine-learning-trained models that will help them pluck blackmail material, credit card numbers, and humiliating disclosures out of the stream of speech they're capturing.

This is interesting and also explains why my partner's Nexus dies at 15% battery these days.

Apple addresses why people are saying their iPhones with older batteries are running ‘slower’

Basically, iPhones were hitting peaks of processor power that the battery was unable to power and the phones were shutting off. Apple then added power management to all iPhones at the time that would ‘smooth out’ those peaks by either capping the power available from the battery or by spreading power requests over several cycles.
    Remember, benchmarks, which are artificial tests of a system’s performance levels, will look like peaks and valleys to the system, which will then trigger this effect. In other words, you’re always going to be triggering this when you run a benchmark, but you definitely will not always trigger this effect when you’re using your iPhone like normal.

^I noticed my 5s actually improved in performance a year or so ago when they refined a lot of IOS to run faster, but it definitely took a beating on battery life with the new version of IOS. Still, a three year old phone, that it can even run the latest software on a degraded battery and with a slower processor is pretty cool. I expect they might drop off the next phone update though.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Somewhat related to that since CHED doesn't have Coast to Coast over the holidays, I went to you tube to find a recent show I missed. My iPod Touch is 5th Gen. I began to listen and i0s 9.3 continued to run it on full open screen without the screen powering off. when I woke out of bed this morning I had the blank screen. I thought the battery died but no. Somewhere along the 2 hour You Tube video (volume was turned down to about 10 % iPod flipped over) my iPod still had about 30% battery. Wow. I started the you tube video about 4am and woke up about 10:30 and I still had 30 % power.

Not sure about Android phones. I use my i0s11.2 iPad for music production and video editing. And my iPad is just a basic iPad, not the Pro version.

I like the new screen recorder on i0s 11 but the screen recorder only captures sound in mono not stereo.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

^my IPAD AIR which is a bit older than my old 5s seems to be doing ok with the software update. I am thinking maybe the battery is a bit bigger so not as impacted. Its taking longer and longer to charge though. I guess battery chemistry at some point will catch up with it.
    Last edited by moahunter; 20-12-2017 at 01:45 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ You might have something there but I think its the physical size of the battery. I can charge my iPod Touch while battery is in the red and get a full charge in 10 minutes, and leave it alone for a few days without opening it. Its down to about 75% 25% battery loss. My i0s 11/iPad holds its battery charge for a long time. Am I a Apple fan boy, you bet

So I had bought a Samsung Galaxy S8 in early September. I'm selling it. That thing annoys me every day. It's that stupid edge.

I've been looking at some other phones and though I swore I'd never give a penny of my money to Google that Pixel 2 seems to be the nicest Android phone out there. I also like the LG V30, though there's a slight lag on the camera shutter and the styling is not nearly as nice as the Pixel 2. I'd like a high end phone with an excellent camera, that's not an iPhone. Does anybody have any recommendations?

So I had bought a Samsung Galaxy S8 in early September. I'm selling it. That thing annoys me every day. It's that stupid edge.

I've been looking at some other phones and though I swore I'd never give a penny of my money to Google that Pixel 2 seems to be the nicest Android phone out there. I also like the LG V30, though there's a slight lag on the camera shutter and the styling is not nearly as nice as the Pixel 2. I'd like a high end phone with an excellent camera, that's not an iPhone. Does anybody have any recommendations?
    The test Pixels we have at worked seemed quite nice. My partner liked the one I brought home for her to test.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I don't know if you guys go to UnboxTherapy You Tube channel. I've been going there for years, good stuff. Lou is very humorous. He's always comparing new cell phones, in real world terms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9dsVWmEZn4

Slick!

Gee I wonder why didn’t they give people a choice?

Apple's iPhones slowed to tackle ageing batteries - BBC News

“Many customers have long suspected that Apple slows down older iPhones to encourage people to upgrade.
    The company has now said it does slow down some models as they age, but only because the phones' battery performance diminishes over time.”

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-42438745

I like that idea - I had noticed my phone dying at 10% or so, and I'm not a particularly a power user.

I've been using low and mid-range android phones (moto) for the last 3 years but I'm thinking of going back to iphone - probably 6S or SE. For the premium to go to even an 8 over a 6s I can get the lesser phone AND an ipad, that's definitely the better value for me.
    There can only be one.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Slick!

Gee I wonder why didn’t they give people a choice?

Apple's iPhones slowed to tackle ageing batteries - BBC News

“Many customers have long suspected that Apple slows down older iPhones to encourage people to upgrade.
    The company has now said it does slow down some models as they age, but only because the phones' battery performance diminishes over time.”

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-42438745
    I think what they should do is notify people that the performance is being slowed to protect the chip from a diminishing battery. That gives people a couple of options, to replace the battery (about $100), or to replace the phone. I don't think they want to give back the option of not accepting the slow down though, as they then just get endless complaints of phones unexpectedly shutting down (which is why the brought in this tweak).

Apple is dropping the price of out-of-warranty iPhone battery replacements from CA$99 to CA$35 starting in late January.

You guys heard of progressive web apps? They're basically websites that behave like store apps, complete with off line functionality and push notifications. They can be downloaded and "installed" from the store and can run without a browser frame, making them appear exactly like store apps. This new technology will completely erase the app gap because any AWP app will run on any platform. Only the browsers need to support it and Google, Microsoft and Apple are all adding this support into their browsers and operating systems.

Very exciting indeed. Gone are the days when you need to compile a separate app for each platform.

PWA - The Great Equalizer

Sounds great for Microsoft & Google.

Less so for Apple. One of iOS' fundamental strengths is the lack of the additional cruft & resources taken up by running stuff through a VM like Android does. Apple already commands the developer mindshare, so they have no need to play nice with Microsoft & Google while shooting themselves in the foot.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

And yet, Apple is also investing in PWA technology. It's the future.

Source

Hahaha. I trust your prognostications on the future about as much as a TV psychic. (Do those exist still? I haven't seen a late night tv commercial in over a decade.) I mean, you've backed one wrong horse after another throughout the last 5 years.

Apple adding features to WebKit & saying it's gonna turn into full support of PWA is completely premature. Even the writer of the article acknowledges this.

We have no indications yet if Apple will add support for web notifications and installable apps to iOS and Mac. Plus, there are specifications and behavior such as Add to Home Screen install banners and Payment Request API that aren’t technically part of the definition of Progressive Web Apps, but that many now associate with PWAs.
    Apple has a number of reasons, both selfish & otherwise, to maintain their walled garden approach & given that they overwhelmingly control the mindshare of mobile developers they have no need to compromise their ideals to gain next to nothing. Apple already makes it really easy to develop for iOS & Mac. All you need to do is buy a Mac & you can get cracking on native apps that will run circles around interpreted crufty multiplatform garbage.

They'll support standards & then leverage those standards into a unique, Apple package that's "sticky" with the rest of their offerings. Because that's what Apple does, every time. Moving away from that approach would be anathema to them.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

You guys heard of progressive web apps? They're basically websites that behave like store apps, complete with off line functionality and push notifications. They can be downloaded and "installed" from the store and can run without a browser frame, making them appear exactly like store apps. This new technology will completely erase the app gap because any AWP app will run on any platform. Only the browsers need to support it and Google, Microsoft and Apple are all adding this support into their browsers and operating systems.

Very exciting indeed. Gone are the days when you need to compile a separate app for each platform.

It would be awesome if we didn't have to a pay a "clip" of the App price to Apple, Google, or whatever, and if all Apps were standard between platforms. I expect it won't happen anytime soon though, Google and Apple make too much money from this, so I expect they will try to somehow subvert / limit what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Hahaha. I trust your prognostications on the future about as much as a TV psychic. (Do those exist still? I haven't seen a late night tv commercial in over a decade.) I mean, you've backed one wrong horse after another throughout the last 5 years.
    Really? How many wrong horses have I backed? You could argue Windows mobile since they're no longer adding new features but I still maintain that it is the best mobile operating system out there. The fact that MS failed to market it doesn't change that. Nor do I have any control over their marketing choices. Sadly they have a history of giving up on very good products. Apparently Zune was the best music player ever but it never even made it out of the US. The MS Band was one of the best wearables on the market, Groove music was leaps and bounds better than Spotify and as I said, Windows 10 Mobile is (in my opinion) the best mobile operating system, but if Nadella can't commit to consumer products that doesn't mean they're not excellent products.

I'm actually seriously considering taking back my Lumia 950XL from my wife and putting my Galaxy S8 in a drawer because the Lumia is just that much better.

Apple already makes it really easy to develop for iOS & Mac. All you need to do is buy a Mac
    That statement made me laugh. First you say they make it "really easy" and then instantly admit that over 90% of the computers out there can't be used to write iOS apps. You have to first buy their expensive hardware just for the privilege of starting to build an app. That's not "easy". That's ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post

It would be awesome if we didn't have to a pay a "clip" of the App price to Apple, Google, or whatever, and if all Apps were standard between platforms. I expect it won't happen anytime soon though, Google and Apple make too much money from this, so I expect they will try to somehow subvert / limit what happens.
    Progressive Web Apps can actually still be listed in the store, though they don't have to be. They can be installed just by clicking on a link.

And as you say it may be a while before it's the new standard but it's started already and seems to be picking up steam.

It’s early days, but case studies are positive. Flipkart, India’s largest e-commerce site, experienced a 70% increase in sales conversions and trebled on-site time when they abandoned their native app for a PWA. Alibaba, the world’s largest business trading platform, experienced a similar conversion rate increase of 76%.
    I'm not sure what Google's motivation is for inventing this stuff but for companies and developers it's very enticing. Not only are these apps easy to build, but you can convert existing websites very easily. No longer do you have to maintain multiple different apps and worry about version numbers and compatibility. One progressive web app works for everybody, and it can look and behave exactly like a mobile app so your users literally won't even know the difference. Why would you not build one?

Oh, and you don't need a Mac to build one.

Last month I got myself a new cellphone Google Pixel 2 XL , as of right now, no issues so far. I paid $199 for 2 yrs contract from Bell . I think I got my money well spent.
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Why would you not build one?
    Performance, access to hardware & system settings, established code bases, existing software developers' experience, security, exclusivity, cachet.

Really? How many wrong horses have I backed? You could argue Windows mobile since they're no longer adding new features but I still maintain that it is the best mobile operating system out there. The fact that MS failed to market it doesn't change that. Nor do I have any control over their marketing choices. Sadly they have a history of giving up on very good products. Apparently Zune was the best music player ever but it never even made it out of the US. The MS Band was one of the best wearables on the market, Groove music was leaps and bounds better than Spotify and as I said, Windows 10 Mobile is (in my opinion) the best mobile operating system, but if Nadella can't commit to consumer products that doesn't mean they're not excellent products.
    Wow, that's a lot of rationalization & personal preference trotted out wearing an "objective fact" costume.

That statement made me laugh. First you say they make it "really easy" and then instantly admit that over 90% of the computers out there can't be used to write iOS apps. You have to first buy their expensive hardware just for the privilege of starting to build an app. That's not "easy". That's ridiculous.
    I didn't say that. I said that was the easiest way, not the cheapest or only way. There's no extra software to buy, no Visual Studio to purchase or rent, as the entire toolchain that Apple uses to build iOS & MacOS is included, free, with every single Mac sold. If you wanna buy a PC, maintain it, throw on Visual Studio or whatever IDE you want to develop iOS you sure can, but that's nowhere near the "open box, boot computer, write code." ability that Macs have had for over a decade.

And you can get a Mac for $600. Hardly bank-breaking.

https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/buy-mac/mac-mini

Try and keep up.

C2E Continued Contributor

I wouldn't wish a mac mini on anyone for development purposes. The $600 option wouldn't do you much good for that purpose. I have a faster one and use it as a media server, but it is slow as hell for anything else. If you're going to buy a mac to develop, you're buying a laptop or one of their full desktops. All that said, my 2015 MBP is still fast and snappy.

My wife is a software developer by trade & does a huge amount of her work on a 3-year old MBA that's similarly specced to the Mac Mini with very few issues (mostly RAM). And she's usually doing it in Eclipse, in virtualized Windows, on top of MacOS (though she does boot straight into Windows now & again when she needs all the memory she can muster, usually for demos).

It doesn't take a huge amount of grunt to code/develop unless you're getting into high-performance applications which PWA stuff wouldn't ever be suitable for in the first place thanks to the virtualization & numerous layers between app & metal, so I consider the Mac Mini to be suitable for the purpose of writing equivalent-to-PWA-level native apps.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Moodib View Post
    I wouldn't wish a mac mini on anyone for development purposes. The $600 option wouldn't do you much good for that purpose. I have a faster one and use it as a media server, but it is slow as hell for anything else. If you're going to buy a mac to develop, you're buying a laptop or one of their full desktops. All that said, my 2015 MBP is still fast and snappy.
    It hasn’t been updated in forever. The mini needs a refresh... when that happens it could be a great choice again.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodib View Post
    Definitely a stretch to use a mini as a development box. I think the phones are faster than it now. As a media server, though, it's brilliant. I'm using a 2009 mini as a Plex server for my AppleTV. Works great.

C2E Continued Contributor

My wife is a software developer by trade & does a huge amount of her work on a 3-year old MBA that's similarly specced to the Mac Mini with very few issues (mostly RAM). And she's usually doing it in Eclipse, in virtualized Windows, on top of MacOS (though she does boot straight into Windows now & again when she needs all the memory she can muster, usually for demos).

It doesn't take a huge amount of grunt to code/develop unless you're getting into high-performance applications which PWA stuff wouldn't ever be suitable for in the first place thanks to the virtualization & numerous layers between app & metal, so I consider the Mac Mini to be suitable for the purpose of writing equivalent-to-PWA-level native apps.
    To each their own for sure, but 2GB ram would be rough for many. It definitely depends on what you're coding. I put 8GB in my Mini and it still feels sluggish. Part of it is the slow HD too. MBA had an SSD standard in 2010. My sister's MBA always seemed really snappy. I got a refurb mini from Apple - perhaps it was defective.

Apple will give users the option to control their own battery’s destiny

new software updates will allow users with older iPhones to turn off the power management feature that intentionally slows down device performance.
    It's unfortunate the communication of the original issue and fix were so poor by Apple, and the subsequent reporting so poor as well. Having seen the initial problem, spontaneous shutdowns with an older battery, I think the fix is more likely to have people keep their phones longer than not having it at all. Having your phone suddenly restart is a far bigger usage problem than having it slightly slowed down some of the time.

C2E SME

Yeah, my old Nexus 4 started to randomly reboot when the battery was much below 20% years back, and that was all kinds of obnoxious.

Foldable phones. What do you guys think? It seems everybody's working on one.

Smartphones with foldable displays are either a waste of time or the next breakthrough in handsets.
    It just depends on whom you ask.

https://www.cnet.com/news/foldable-s...msung-oneplus/

Smartphones with foldable displays are either a waste of time or the next breakthrough in handsets.

Totally boring.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

i’m not interested in foldable - four surfaces to break and need replacing and not just two - but a bendable screen that would presumably not shatter every time it bumped into something would be a big plus...
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

I'm actually quite intrigued by foldable phones. Of course it will all depend on the execution of it. They could end up being really great, or they could end up being a huge flop. Either way, I'm looking forward to something new in this field. Phones are so boring now. I hope somebody comes out with a great new device one of these days.

https://www.strategyanalytics.com/st...ion-in-q4-2017

According to the latest research from Strategy Analytics, global smartphone shipments tumbled 9 percent annually to reach 400 million units in Q4 2017. It was the biggest annual fall in smartphone history. Apple captured first place with 19% global marketshare, nudging Samsung into second position. Xiaomi continued its relentless rise, almost doubling smartphone shipments from a year ago.
    I'm impressed Apple managed to make it to #1 in shipments despite the market contracting 9%. They must have picked up some good marketshare last quarter.

Trivia:
    Your Phone Has an FM Chip. So Why Can't You Listen to the Radio? | WIRED

https://www.wired.com/2016/07/phones...io-smartphone/

Your link doesn't seem to be working, but Windows mobile has always had an FM Radio built in. I never used it though. The only time I listen to the radio is to listen to a hockey game.

Wow! This thread had almost 4,000 posts!

Anyway, I heard this interview. Quite interesting. Ducking social engineering:

Apple tech explains why the iPhone won't let you ducking swear | CBC Radio

So WTF Ken? Why does iPhone want to clean up our language?

Well, this is part of a product decision that we made years ago for the original iPhone. I was the person responsible for making the software keyboard, compiling the dictionary and working with the team to make this decision to get in the way of your swearing. I'm sorry.

It's so fascinating to hear about those early days. Can you take us into those labs? What were you thinking ...”

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/...wear-1.4823507

Last edited by KC; 17-09-2018 at 08:27 AM.

On the upside, unlike C2E, you can train the iOS keyboard to stop ******* with your words so much.

They can stop literal spelling, but gesture and tone will just "f**king" evolve as an example. Did they really achieve anything lol?
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 303637383940