Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 293536373839
Results 3,801 to 3,826 of 3826

Thread: The All Inclusive Smart Phone War

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Yes, that is the only use for this product

An update on what Microsoft is working on that's quite interesting. It's called C-Shell and is basically a new Windows shell that will automatically render Windows according to the device, which means the same operating system will run on desktop, tablet, mobile, xbox and hololens. Here's a video of how it will look on mobile (pre-release obviously).

I'd rather C2E than work!

Very sleek design Google Pixel 2 is something I like a lot

http://bgr.com/2017/06/12/google-pixel-2-release-date-nearing-design-imagined/
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

That is what I am holding out for, a close second is the Essential Phone. The Pixel 2 can't come soon enough, time for my Nexus 6 to get retired to the kids.

Very cool documentary on the creation of the first IPHONE - well worth a look:

http://www.wsj.com/video/how-the-iph...ng_now_video_1

The designers started with an IPOD, and were worried about phones taking the place of it. But they couldn't get the keyboard to work without turning it into a rotary phone. The idea of miniaturizing the tablet came up, then the focus turned to "how do we get the keyboard to work"? All the attempts at a keyboard were a failure until they put everyone on the task and trialed various different versions. The one that works, actually anticipates your key touches, it increases the hit zone for the key you might hit next (if you hit T first, then the H zone invisibly grows bigger). Fascinating stuff.

Cool.

The predictive, multitouch keyboard changed everything in terms of interaction & UI design.

While Apple was working on that, Android phones looked like this:

Giving less of a damn than everů Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

I'd rather C2E than work!

Sharp is reportedly launching two new devices in July that appear to be completely bezel-less.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2017/06/30/sh...ampaign=buffer

Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Pretty sweet displays!

Wow. Love it.

Default Touch ID gone from next Iphone?

Interesting - there have been rumors of problems for a while, with the elimination of the home button / all glass front as proposed. Not wanting the inelegant solution of sticking the sensor on the back, basically taking the Samsung idea, but trying to make it work properly:

But Gurman’s report says that Apple’s going to simply replace the fingerprint sensor with face and eye scanning technology that’s a lot more advanced and more secure than anyone else’s — cough, Samsung, cough. Samsung was first to implement iris-based phone unlocking, but the technology can supposedly be hacked quite easily.

Apple’s iris sensor will also incorporate a depth sensor that will prevent hackers from using photos to fool it. Furthermore, the sensor can supposedly scan a user’s iris and face “within a few hundred milliseconds,” and works even if the device is laying flat on a table.
    http://bgr.com/2017/07/04/iphone-8-r...uch-id-sensor/

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Personally I've come to like the fingerprint sensor on the back of the S8. At first I didn't, but now that I'm used to it, it's really grown on me. Pretty concerning that the iris scanning is so easily hacked, though.

^which is supposedly overcome by the depth sensor on the Apple - I guess will see if true or not. A big criticism of the fingerprint scanner on back is people keep touching / smudging the camera lens. I actually don't like the touch ID on my apple even on the front button - I find its finicky / annoying.

If they can get this thing to work, I guess its inevitable that the future will be like those science fiction movies where you can just enter a building by an iris scan.
    Last edited by moahunter; 04-07-2017 at 01:41 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I barely use my camera, so maybe that's why it doesn't bother me. Also, my phone case acts as a good guide for where my finger needs to go (https://www.spigen.com/products/gala...nt=30614663425). I set it up with my two index fingers, instead of my thumbs as I had on my S6. So when I reach in to my pocket to grab my phone, by the time I've got it facing me my index finger has already unlocked the phone.

That being said, after having never cracked or significant damaged a cell phone ever, I got a screen crack on the S8 within a week. Mainly because of the rounded edges resulting in the Neo-Hybrid case not having raised sides that would protect the screen when the phone is dropped. My S6 had the same case, and it was dropped face down numerous times with no problem. First time it happened with the S8, screen crack.

Samsung was first to implement iris-based phone unlocking, but the technology can supposedly be hacked quite easily.

Actually Microsoft was the first to do it using "Windows hello" on the Lumia 950 XL, which happens to be the phone I've been using for the last two years. The same technology is used in the desktop version of windows 10.

No, the first smartphone with an iris scanner was a Fujitsu running Android.

http://www.devicespecifications.com/en/model/734f3403

Your Lumia was introduced about half a year later.
    Giving less of a damn than everů Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Ah. Well, in any case it wasn't Samsung, but I guess we're long past the days where we could expect reporters to fact check what they write. Which is especially annoying since it's never been easier to fact check.

Wow! Nearing 4,000 posts on this thread! I'm not sure what that says about us.

Anyway, fascinating news item below, especially I guess if you worry about your phone battery dying. (I'm usually better off when my device dies.)

"University of Washington researchers have invented a cellphone that requires no batteries -- a major leap forward in moving beyond chargers, cords and dying phones. "

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0705164453.htm

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Microsoft is cutting 3,000 jobs as part of a major reorganization

by Mehedi Hassan
    @mehedih_

Jul 6, 2017 at 16:10 GMT

Microsoft announced a major sales reorganization earlier this week. The company is reorganizing its sales team at its HQ in Redmond, and the changes are also affecting local teams throughout the world. As rumored, Microsoft is cutting a total of up to 3,000 jobs today as part of its major sales reorganization — which is 10% of its entire sales force. Microsoft currently has 121 thousand employees worldwide, 71 thousand of which are in the United States.
    The latest round of layoffs is actually affecting teams outside of United States. 75% of the 3,000 employees that are being laid off are outside of the United States. The reorganization sharpens the sales team’s focus on the cloud with a new Enterprise Operating Unit.

“Microsoft is implementing changes to better serve our customers and partners,” a Microsoft spokesperson told CNBC in a statement. “Today, we are taking steps to notify some employees that their jobs are under consideration or that their positions will be eliminated. Like all companies, we evaluate our business on a regular basis. This can result in increased investment in some places and, from time-to-time, re-deployment in others.
    https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-cu...eorganization/

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    No, the first smartphone with an iris scanner was a Fujitsu running Android.

http://www.devicespecifications.com/en/model/734f3403

Your Lumia was introduced about half a year later.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
    Ah. Well, in any case it wasn't Samsung, but I guess we're long past the days where we could expect reporters to fact check what they write. Which is especially annoying since it's never been easier to fact check.
    Yeah, were probably at the stage where such discussions belong in the ancient computer technology thread or whatever it is called.

Quote Originally Posted by jagators63 View Post
    Sharp is reportedly launching two new devices in July that appear to be completely bezel-less.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2017/06/30/sh...ampaign=buffer

So if you drop it will the screen break more easily?

Or will people then stuff them in a case to re-bezel them?

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    Interesting - there have been rumors of problems for a while, with the elimination of the home button / all glass front as proposed. Not wanting the inelegant solution of sticking the sensor on the back, basically taking the Samsung idea, but trying to make it work properly:

But Gurman’s report says that Apple’s going to simply replace the fingerprint sensor with face and eye scanning technology that’s a lot more advanced and more secure than anyone else’s — cough, Samsung, cough. Samsung was first to implement iris-based phone unlocking, but the technology can supposedly be hacked quite easily.

Apple’s iris sensor will also incorporate a depth sensor that will prevent hackers from using photos to fool it. Furthermore, the sensor can supposedly scan a user’s iris and face “within a few hundred milliseconds,” and works even if the device is laying flat on a table.
    http://bgr.com/2017/07/04/iphone-8-r...uch-id-sensor/
    So BIGBROTHER databanks now have everyone's digitized fingerprints, now add face and iris and they'll just need you DNA to complete the profiling.

No.

Apple's Secure Enclave is the only place your biometrics are stored, there's no cloud backup. Can't speak to what Samsung or other Android manufacturers do, but Apple has no ability to access, monitor or otherwise get their hands on my biometric data.

No.

Apple's Secure Enclave is the only place your biometrics are stored, there's no cloud backup. Can't speak to what Samsung or other Android manufacturers do, but Apple has no ability to access, monitor or otherwise get their hands on my biometric data.
    Maybe not Apple. ...and if the data could somehow be accessed or even officially shared, domestic owners (Americans in the case of Apple and the NSA) wouldn't likely be part of the collection.

No, Apple hasn't said it will share an iPhone 5s 'fingerprint database' with the NSA | Technology | The Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...gerprint-apple
    Last edited by KC; 06-07-2017 at 04:39 PM.

No.

Hopefully their "Secure Enclave" will not get hacked like a number of other supposedly "secure" corporate sites have been.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Hopefully their "Secure Enclave" will not get hacked like a number of other supposedly "secure" corporate sites have been.
    The Secure Enclave is an isolated area in their chipsets, not a corporate site/server/room. You'd need physical access to the phone, plus a whole host of equipment, skills & so forth to even attempt to get into it.

Secure Enclave

The chip in your device includes an advanced security architecture called the Secure Enclave, which was developed to protect your passcode and fingerprint data. Touch ID doesn't store any images of your fingerprint, and instead relies only on a mathematical representation. It isn't possible for someone to reverse engineer your actual fingerprint image from this stored data.
    Your fingerprint data is encrypted, stored on disk, and protected with a key available only to the Secure Enclave. Your fingerprint data is used only by the Secure Enclave to verify that your fingerprint matches the enrolled fingerprint data. It can’t be accessed by the OS on your device or by any applications running on it. It's never stored on Apple servers, it's never backed up to iCloud or anywhere else, and it can't be used to match against other fingerprint databases.

Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 293536373839