Thread: E Z Rock to become Virgin Radio

I'd rather C2E than work!

Default E Z Rock to become Virgin Radio

Global news @ 6 is reporting that the entire on-air staff at 104.9 E Z Rock has been fired and that the station is making a format change on Friday Feb 4. The rumour is that they will switching to the Virgin Radio format.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

wow, EZ rock has been EZ rock for...a long time.

If this is true it will for sure be competion for the Bounce and Hot 107

Does the city really need 3 stations all playing the same top pop and R&B hits? It's sad that there's a virtually infinite combination of time periods and genres to mix and match to create a unique station, but instead I guess it's easy to try and be a "me too" station.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

So will it be the same as the one in Calgary now, a top 40 station?

This is such a shame. This station sponsors a lot of businesses. If another new hit station comes along it will flush out the other ones and they'll become another needless country station (remember what happened with 96X). The only thing I'll miss about EZ rock is the non stop holiday tunes.

Partially Addicted to C2E

what a shame! where will I listen to all my Christmas radio music all Dec now?

Radio rumours say that Pepper & Dylan are returning to host the morning show.

Some people at my workplace like to tune into EZ Rock. Where was the rock? The only rock the station played is snooze rock. As background music during work, I want to listen to more upbeat tunes. It doesn't have to be speed metal but something that wouldn't lull myself to sleep in the afternoon would be nice.

I've been switching between CKUA, Capital FM and NOW Radio during the workday.

EZ Rock has lost a generation of listeners by playing the same old boring Sheryl Crow and Celine Dion ballads year after year. By being stagnant, EZ has has allowed NOW FM to fill the void.

C2E Long Term Contributor

^ One lady I worked with had EZ Rock playing in her cubicle - to me it was like Fleetwood Mac on the hour every hour.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

^ But it wasn't the rocking Fleetwood Mac tunes. It would be the Stevie Nicks on valium songs.

I've noticed EZ Rock has been playing more Nickelback the past couple of months. That's a sign of desperation.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Ugh another station that's the same as the other crap. I rarely listen to the radio but I will defo miss the Christmas music on EZ Rock.

an EZ Virgin on the dial ............
    Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Check this out hahaha... all official:
    http://edmonton.virginradio.ca/shows.aspx

I'm just hoping they follow one thing from Hot 107... NO NICKELBACK GUARANTEE!!!

EDMONTON — Meet Edmonton’s newest Virgin.

EZ Rock 104.9 FM, an adult easy-listening station, is now Virgin Radio, a Top 40 pop format, the third of its kind in the city. The station will be going head to head with The Bounce 91.7 FM and Hot 107.

Read more: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Edmon...#ixzz1D1vLrQVw

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...787/story.html

Meh, won't affect me much anyhow. I haven't listened to terrestrial radio in years, but this is exactly why. Absolutely dismal variety. Way too many commercials.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Just took a quick look at their site and what they played through the morning, mainly a NOW/EZ/CAPITAL kind of mix, took an abrupt turn at around 1 p.m. to a much different line up. So maybe they're doing segments of styles at different times of day.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

I flipped the dial to Virgin Radio while I was out and about this afternoon. It's really not all that distinguishable from the Bounce. No Nickelback though!

Besides Pepper and Dylan, the drive-time DJ is Tyler Hall (not to be confused with the Edmonton Oiler). One of their syndicated weekend shows will be Perez Hilton.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Not another top 40 autotuned, manufactured pop station!

Other than listening to Garner once in a while I'll be celebrating my 10 year anniversary this summer of when I turned off the radio. Thank you bittorrent & Digital Audio Players!

Quote Originally Posted by Kitlope View Post
    Not another top 40 autotuned, manufactured pop station!

Other than listening to Garner once in a while I'll be celebrating my 10 year anniversary this summer of when I turned off the radio. Thank you bittorrent & Digital Audio Players!
    Good for you.

I threw away the radio about a decade ago myself. Much better alternatives out there, great streaming audio and itunes stations. Many without annoying commercials or sensationalistic news casters.

♫ ♪ Internet killed the radio star ♪♫ . . . satellite too.

I don't know anyone who listens to music on the radio anymore.

Personally, I only listen to sports, news, and talk shows on the radio now. If I want to hear music, I just listen to my own.

I listen to local radio. I don't drive enough to warrant a satellite radio subscription, my car doesn't really have anything to plug my MP3 into, and I'd rather not have CDs in my car.

So the rest of you can quit mentioning XML in every local radio thread and let us poverty radio listeners rant in peace!

LOTS of people still listen to local radio. Satellite radio has a share in a market like Edmonton of about 1/10th of 1 percent of local radio listening. Satellite radio does better in rural areas with limited signals.

#1 service on satellite by a country mile? CBC Radio One. The same service available on terrestrial radio across the country. It has about 12% of satellite radio tuning in Canada.

The rumours of radio's death are greatly exaggerated. In fact, they've been around for about 65 years or so - ever since television took off. It's still here kids and will be for a very long time - and there's more money in it than there ever was. It still has a reach of 94% of the population across the country, about 2 percentage points behind television.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry N View Post
    Radio rumours say that Pepper & Dylan are returning to host the morning show.
    Is this supposed to be a positive or a negative? Can't imagine why anyone would have them.

Chelsea Bird and Ian McKinnon from the morning show were let go last week.

Radio? What is that?
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.