Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 394546474849
Results 4,801 to 4,877 of 4877

Thread: West Edmonton Mall | Renovations

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Bubba Gump Shrimp to Open 1st Canadian Location at West Edmonton Mall: Popular US-based restaurant chain Bubba Gump Shrimp Company will open its first Canadian location at West Edmonton Mall. The 8,960 square foot flagship restaurant, scheduled to open March 1, 2018, will replace an Eddie Bauer location that recently relocated from the second level of phase III to phase I.

Bubba Gump Shrimp will be strategically located adjacent to the Fantasyland Hotel, the Scotiabank Theatre (including IMAX 3D) as well as the World Waterpark and other attractions. West Edmonton Mall was chosen after the company saw considerable success with its location at sister centre Mall of America in suburban Minneapolis. Both malls are owned and operated by Triple Five Group.

Bubba Gump Shrimp Company is a seafood restaurant chain inspired by the 1994 film Forest Gump. The company’s parent company is Viacom, owner of Paramount Pictures, and distributor of Forest Gump. The company operates 43 restaurant locations, with 29 of them being in the United States. Bubba Gump also operates restaurants in Mexico, Malaysia, Japan, London UK, Hong Kong, Indonesia, the Marianas, and the Philippines.

https://www.retail-insider.com/retai...652c-113812873

Quote Originally Posted by Jabroniville View Post
    So is there any part of WEM that any of you miss? I personally liked the Old Spaghetti Factory better in its old location, with the weird offshoots sticking out all over the place- it's too much of a "generic restaurant" in appearance now. Bourbon Street in general was a bit more fun-looking, too.
    i miss toy city (where dollarramma is now) and the other computer stores that used to exist

Quote Originally Posted by nunuangel99 View Post
    Bubba Gump Shrimp to Open 1st Canadian Location at West Edmonton Mall: Popular US-based restaurant chain Bubba Gump Shrimp Company will open its first Canadian location at West Edmonton Mall. The 8,960 square foot flagship restaurant, scheduled to open March 1, 2018, will replace an Eddie Bauer location that recently relocated from the second level of phase III to phase I.

Bubba Gump Shrimp will be strategically located adjacent to the Fantasyland Hotel, the Scotiabank Theatre (including IMAX 3D) as well as the World Waterpark and other attractions. West Edmonton Mall was chosen after the company saw considerable success with its location at sister centre Mall of America in suburban Minneapolis. Both malls are owned and operated by Triple Five Group.

Bubba Gump Shrimp Company is a seafood restaurant chain inspired by the 1994 film Forest Gump. The company’s parent company is Viacom, owner of Paramount Pictures, and distributor of Forest Gump. The company operates 43 restaurant locations, with 29 of them being in the United States. Bubba Gump also operates restaurants in Mexico, Malaysia, Japan, London UK, Hong Kong, Indonesia, the Marianas, and the Philippines.

this was already posted on the other page buddy

I miss the 90s San Francisco stores. By early 2000s though, the store was a mess.

I never saw the old Fantasyland, sadly. Before my time. How was it different?

I miss the Flamingos, too. And the Lemurs! I liked seeing animals for free at the mall, though it probably wasn't pleasant for them to be surrounded all day long.

It was less cluttered, brighter, and had a sort of Cartoon Olde towne theme to it, with sort of retro-futurist rides. The balloon ride, the kiddie rides, flying galleon and Autosled still have a bit of that esthetic.
    There can only be one.

Quote Originally Posted by B.ike View Post
    I miss the 90s San Francisco stores. By early 2000s though, the store was a mess.
    Go into Spencers- it's basically the exact same thing. I myself didn't notice this until a year or two ago, as it always looked like a "teen clothing store", so I never visited. But it's basically got that Hot Topic thing (band t-shirts, current pop culture like Rick & Morty everywhere), but there's wiener-shaped novelty gifts in the back.

So is there any part of WEM that any of you miss? I personally liked the Old Spaghetti Factory better in its old location, with the weird offshoots sticking out all over the place- it's too much of a "generic restaurant" in appearance now. Bourbon Street in general was a bit more fun-looking, too.
    I agree with you on old restaurant. The whole décor idea behind the Old Spaghetti Factory is an antique building with bed rails as booths and old tables and lamps etc. This has been the décor in locations around Canada and the US. The new location is very plain. Still yummy...but plain.

I miss Johnny Rockets. I was sad that Bose replaced Johnny Rockets.

I miss Le Gnome too.

^Le Gnome was the best!
    www.decl.org

C2E Hard Core Contributor

So is there any part of WEM that any of you miss?
    Good question. I miss having three movie theatres -- sure, SilverCity (yes, I still call it that) is technically superior to any of the old three, but it was nice having 30-ish screens at your disposal. I also miss the original location of the whale; the re-lo of it is quite sad. And I miss the old Rube Goldberg machine!
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

i loved that machine too.

Fun fact: there were two of them

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Magnus View Post

They are now at the TELUS World of Science.
    I'm having people over later to stare at their phones,if you want to drop by

Quote Originally Posted by Barry N View Post

They are now at the TELUS World of Science.
    Only 1 of them if you had watched the video.

Quote Originally Posted by nunuangel99 View Post
    bubba gump shrimp to open 1st canadian location at west edmonton mall: Popular us-based restaurant chain bubba gump shrimp company will open its first canadian location at west edmonton mall. The 8,960 square foot flagship restaurant, scheduled to open march 1, 2018, will replace an eddie bauer location that recently relocated from the second level of phase iii to phase i.

Bubba gump shrimp will be strategically located adjacent to the fantasyland hotel, the scotiabank theatre (including imax 3d) as well as the world waterpark and other attractions. West edmonton mall was chosen after the company saw considerable success with its location at sister centre mall of america in suburban minneapolis. Both malls are owned and operated by triple five group.

Bubba gump shrimp company is a seafood restaurant chain inspired by the 1994 film forest gump. The company’s parent company is viacom, owner of paramount pictures, and distributor of forest gump. The company operates 43 restaurant locations, with 29 of them being in the united states. Bubba gump also operates restaurants in mexico, malaysia, japan, london uk, hong kong, indonesia, the marianas, and the philippines.

yesssss!

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    So is there any part of WEM that any of you miss?
    Good question. I miss having three movie theatres -- sure, SilverCity (yes, I still call it that) is technically superior to any of the old three, but it was nice having 30-ish screens at your disposal. I also miss the original location of the whale; the re-lo of it is quite sad. And I miss the old Rube Goldberg machine!
    Oh yeah- I remember going to the cheap theatre where they have a skate-park now. What was the other one like?

And yeah, that WAS really weird to have three theatres in one mall.

There's 3 former theatres.

The one in the Phase 3 food court.
    The one that's now a skatepark.
    The one that's now Jubilations.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Cineplex Odeon ran the food court one and the cheapie one (at least, I think so on the latter, but my memory is a bit hazy there), while Famous Players ran the other prior to relocating to Silvercity. None of them were great -- you didn't have amenities like stadium seating or drink holders -- but you usually weren't hurting for options.
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

The one that's now a skatepark I originally did all the carpet and flooring. Had scaffolding set up to glue carpeting on the walls with contact cement, the round ticket booth walls and other places. Laid a lot of floors in the mall originally. Eatons, the Bay, Sears, the original Safeway, lots of small shops too. Oh the good old days.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    The one that's now a skatepark I originally did all the carpet and flooring. Had scaffolding set up to glue carpeting on the walls with contact cement, the round ticket booth walls and other places. Laid a lot of floors in the mall originally. Eatons, the Bay, Sears, the original Safeway, lots of small shops too. Oh the good old days.
    Where was the Safeway? I do not remember that.

From Wikipedia; In October 1986, the Canadian Press reported that Safeway Canada took an $8 million loss by closing a prime store at West Edmonton Mall, which, at that time, was the world's largest shopping centre. It was the fifth store Safeway had closed in west Edmonton.[1]. ....It was on the south side of the oil riggers and was divided into three or four stores

http://mall-hall-of-fame.blogspot.ca...-west.html?m=1. Scroll down to map. (Back of Marks, Stitches, International Clothiers?). Old SportChek ?
    Last edited by Drumbones; 26-10-2017 at 08:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    http://mall-hall-of-fame.blogspot.ca...-west.html?m=1. Scroll down to map. (Back of Marks, Stitches, International Clothiers?). Old SportChek ?
    yes the back of the old marks (where stitches is now) used to be the backroom for them and sportchek.

One of my first major jobs with pure vinyl VC tiles.(Vinyl composition). Before that everything was VA tiles ( Vinyl asbestos)

C2E Long Term Contributor

I personally don't really miss anything at WEM per se, but here are some former selling points that are now gone:
    - submarines
    - dolphins
    - Oilers practices at Ice Palace
    - bungee jump in the water park
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

There was a girl I was very interested in and finally got a date with her. We went to west ed and we went for a ride in a submarine. She ended up ditching me. She was super religious and me not so much. lol

One of Top_Dawg's wing men went for the submarine ride once.

The operator must have been totally hung over or still hammered.

After all the touristas were inside he submerged the sub.

But forgot to close the hatch.

So water came pouring in.

And everyone got soaked.

Hilarious.

I had a question about the IKEA. I asked a friend "Did you know there used to be an IKEA in WEM?" and he straight-up denied the possibility. When I told him about this thread, and someone mentioning they used to work there, he was like "people say a lot of things online", and he has no recollection of it. Does anyone have pics or anything? I can't even find information online about IKEA formerly having other locations- all I know is that when I moved to the city, it was already in South Edmonton Common.

Man, that Jubilations one must have been a long time ago. I only recall Silver City (I miss the Dragon, tired as it got). Was anything else ever in that location? I worked in the Zellers right by there for five years, and don't recall any other tenants than who are there now.

Also... what used to be in the T&T space? I remember a time before that was there, but was that space just empty? I think it used to be a Canadian Tire or something. I find it funny that Safeway did a "let's get out of malls" idea, but T&T moved right in, and appears to be enormously successful (it's constantly PACKED with people, and they seem to mostly shop there. It's like 90% Asian people inside, and the mall has a much different ratio of diversity).
    Last edited by Jabroniville; 27-10-2017 at 02:59 AM.

I believe the Joint nightclub is now the Sportchek or TNT?

What is now in the Rum Jungle space?

Oh man, good times.

I had a question about the IKEA. I asked a friend "Did you know there used to be an IKEA in WEM?" and he straight-up denied the possibility. When I told him about this thread, and someone mentioning they used to work there, he was like "people say a lot of things online", and he has no recollection of it. Does anyone have pics or anything? I can't even find information online about IKEA formerly having other locations- all I know is that when I moved to the city, it was already in South Edmonton Common.

Man, that Jubilations one must have been a long time ago. I only recall Silver City (I miss the Dragon, tired as it got). Was anything else ever in that location? I worked in the Zellers right by there for five years, and don't recall any other tenants than who are there now.

Also... what used to be in the T&T space? I remember a time before that was there, but was that space just empty? I think it used to be a Canadian Tire or something. I find it funny that Safeway did a "let's get out of malls" idea, but T&T moved right in, and appears to be enormously successful (it's constantly PACKED with people, and they seem to mostly shop there. It's like 90% Asian people inside, and the mall has a much different ratio of diversity).
    Yup. T&T used to be Canadian Tire. Where Silver City now is used to be The Bay (yes, there were two in the mall at the same time) and before that it was Woodwards.

The theatre that's now Jubilations is where I saw Back to the Future and Michael Keaton's Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post

Yup. T&T used to be Canadian Tire. Where Silver City now is used to be The Bay (yes, there were two in the mall at the same time) and before that it was Woodwards.

The theatre that's now Jubilations is where I saw Back to the Future and Michael Keaton's Batman.
    Technaly where silver city is now was nothing since the bay is where all of phase 4 is now they just built ontop of the roof of what used to be woodwards/ bay

Last edited by Dark Magnus; 27-10-2017 at 08:40 AM.

This is Ikea's 4th location. Prior to the mall, it was a small store close to where the south Costco is now on 91 Street. Then the next locations were West Edmonton Mall, Between Gateway and Calgary Trail south of White Mud and then at South Edmonton Common.

Ikea's first store was on 50th Street and 82 Avenue, never near that Costco.
    I feel in no way entitled to your opinion...

Yep, IKEA location #1 is now the UofA BARD.

https://www.neoslibraries.ca/member-...lberta/bard-2/
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

I had always though ikea was first in WEM what year was it at this other location??

I had always though ikea was first in WEM what year was it at this other location??
    Pre-'85, as it moved into Phase 3 as it opened.

That's weird- they must have torn down that Zellers, because I don't think anything's there now.

Wow, I had no idea that the lamest wing of the mall was initially ALL THERE WAS.

Zellers was renovated & re-demised into smaller stores. Hence why one corner hallway of the mall around Ice Palace looks 10-15 years newer than the rest. Because it is.

Kinda like what happened to Woodwards -> Phase 4

I believe that Bretton's used to be around that Zellers at one time. Does anyone remember where the Bretton's was in WEM. I was living in Calgary at the time and I just know where the 2 were located there.

Bretton's was what took Safeway's spot.

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Zellers was renovated & re-demised into smaller stores. Hence why one corner hallway of the mall around Ice Palace looks 10-15 years newer than the rest. Because it is.

Kinda like what happened to Woodwards -> Phase 4
    technaly it was turned into 3 stores on the top and fully gutted on the bottom and multy stores put in its place

I found this site that said Ikea opened in Edmonton in 1978. We were the third Canadian location beating Calgary by one year.

http://mike-barker.com/ikea/

Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    I found this site that said Ikea opened in Edmonton in 1978. We were the third Canadian location beating Calgary by one year.

http://mike-barker.com/ikea/
    More recently, we also got Simons and the Rec room before Calgary too, so Calgary does not get everything first.

Went to the mall again today- nothing new to report, though I did a random walk around the upper parking lot to see the exterior of the casino... it's all under tarps still. The interior they always let you see looks exactly the same (no Dungeons & Dragons machine, though! I guess they swap these out pretty regularly), though you're now crammed through a little tunnel, and the door to the outside on that wing is hidden now. I was the youngest person in there by about twenty years (that hasn't happened since I went to see Fleetwood Mac!). This wing used to look so much different- I remember Comic King and Coin & Stamp (which has moved around), and even longer ago, there was some kind of... rug shop? I remember they had a part of the wall cut away and you could walk between a few shops, couldn't you? It was a LONG time ago.

I saw a unique thing in that parking lot area- between the Casino & the T&T area, I noticed a stairwell down from the parking lot leading to a greenhouse-looking boardroom with tables and chairs set up. Does anyone know what that is? It had a bunch of "No Tresspassing" signs around it, so I wasn't going to go snoop.

Sounds like a temporary setup for some kind of celebration, maybe a milestone for the Casino construction?

No, that greenhouse area is the offices for the mall, it used to be an actual greenhouse way back when sport chek used to be in that location I forget what the name of the store that actually had the greenhouse was though.

No, that greenhouse area is the offices for the mall, it used to be an actual greenhouse way back when sport chek used to be in that location I forget what the name of the store that actually had the greenhouse was though.
    Oh, neat! I wonder if it was a real floral shop or something. How'd you find that out? Did you go traipsing around the mall grounds at random hours like I did?

I find the "hidden side" of the mall fascinating. The tunnels beneath it are probably really mundane (the ones below Disney World are essentially a big basement), but it's funny that you can get to nearly any part of the mall through them, yet most people will never see them. And all these hidden offices and halls up in Europa Boulevard, and a greenhouse in some dark corner! It makes me wonder what other odds and ends are hidden away from the general public.

Oh, neat! I wonder if it was a real floral shop or something. How'd you find that out? Did you go traipsing around the mall grounds at random hours like I did?

I find the "hidden side" of the mall fascinating. The tunnels beneath it are probably really mundane (the ones below Disney World are essentially a big basement), but it's funny that you can get to nearly any part of the mall through them, yet most people will never see them. And all these hidden offices and halls up in Europa Boulevard, and a greenhouse in some dark corner! It makes me wonder what other odds and ends are hidden away from the general public.
    I was stupid young basicly born when the mall was built, so i oddly remember where almost everything is or was in that mall now, like the elephant and castle that used to be across from that location as well it was the stupid dark part of the mall back then too kinda still is dark too not sure why that is though

I was stupid young basicly born when the mall was built, so i oddly remember where almost everything is or was in that mall now, like the elephant and castle that used to be across from that location as well it was the stupid dark part of the mall back then too kinda still is dark too not sure why that is though
    Would make for an interesting documentary, history of WEM and the hidden tunnels... something like that.

There was an Edmonton Journal reporter who lived in the tunnels for a few weeks (I think), and reported on it in a multi-day article. Must have been the late 80s or early 90s. Does anyone else remember that?
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

I don't remember the journal-living-there bit, but I do a recall a series of articles years ago about a large community of mall rats and runaways who lived in the basement tunnels of the mall.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I asked Paula Simons about it on Twitter. She said that there was some stuff done in 2008, but there was also something done a long time ago (before her time). It's the really old article I'm remembering. Not sure how one could reach the articles form back then (besides going through about a decade of them in the library).
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

West Edmonton Mall is opening a "micro-mall" near the Santa Maria replica ship.

Quote Originally Posted by The Edmonton Journal
    A member of the family that developed West Edmonton Mall and other giant international shopping centres thinks the future of retail could be small.

Mark Ghermezian has helped develop the mall’s new RAAS (Retail as a Service) market that features tiny spaces where local businesses can quickly set up shop without the time and expense of creating their own stand-alone operation.

“How do we get rid of all the barriers to … opening up a retail storefront for locals, for artisans? There’s so many great brands out there in Edmonton,” he said Tuesday.

“We have done a great job of building mega-malls. How do we build that micro-mall?”

The market provides tenants with cubes, triangles and rectangles from which to work that range in size from six square metres to little more than a table top, in space near the Santa Maria pirate ship.

It has 25 merchants selling health and beauty products, art, clothing, home decor and food, including Pura Botanicals, Apollo Originals and Moonshine Doughnuts.

Ayaz Raja, Co-Founder and Creative Director, Adesso Accessories stands in his shop at the new Retail as a Service (RAAS), on Tuesday October 24, 2017, a market of 25 small pop-up stores and businesses at West Edmonton Mall in Edmonton. GREG SOUTHAM / POSTMEDIA
    Turnkey operations

With the walls for displaying merchandise, shelving and point-of-sale equipment supplied, Ghermezian described the facility as a “turnkey” operation where operators can quickly open outlets in a high-profile location without major expense.

“They just have to negotiate a lease with us, then bring their merchandise and their sales associates and start selling … Our purpose is to unleash the creative community.”

He won’t reveal rental costs, but said the minimum lease lasts three months.

Ghermezian, 35, is the son of Bahman Ghermezian, who with his three brothers spearheaded construction of what was for many years the world’s largest mall, located in west Edmonton.

Through the Triple Five Group, the Ghermezians also own Minnesota’s Mall of America, the American Dream in metropolitan New York and other entertainment and retail centres.

Mark Ghermezian, who lives in New York with his wife and children, said RAAS is being incubated by T5 Capital, Triple Five’s venture capital firm in which he’s a general partner.

The RAAS concept is being tested in Edmonton and in a smaller version opening next month at the Mall of America, but Ghermezian hopes it will eventually be rolled out around the world.

“It’s a great way to combat what’s going on online, and change what you would typically see in … any retail experience,” he said.

“It’s obviously a great place to test it because of the relationship with the family and West Edmonton Mall … I think everyone has a sense of ownership of West Edmonton Mall.”

Although most of the mall’s conventional shops are part of national or international chains, Ghermezian said they aren’t worried about this size-small idea.

“They should look at us as complementary to what they have and what they do. This isn’t to undercut anything in the mall today. We’re going after local tenants and local artisans that (otherwise) couldn’t have come into the mall.”

I saw the start of construction of this space a few weeks ago and wondered what was going on. I love this idea. I am sick of retail carts in a mall and people begging you to come and try their product (I think malls should ban this practice). This space is visually stunning and basically little boutiques within a larger store. I hope it does well.

So they're moving all the hallway carts to this one designated space?

Probably not- just people who shell out money for this one space. Which is too bad.

Ah well- at least they got rid of the "Sir- for you!" people when that one shop closed down by the Chocolate Factory.

So they're moving all the hallway carts to this one designated space?
    No, it is a boutique area with different local sellers who rent their own space. All the carts are staying where they are.

Sounds like a farmers market. Sounds interesting. Hope it turns out cool and not hokey.

Sounds like a farmers market. Sounds interesting. Hope it turns out cool and not hokey.
    It's an odd combination if teeny-tiny booths really close together, mixed with high-end, state-of-the-art shelving units. Very artsy and fancy... but also very small. And with security guards stationed all over, because these things are IDEAL for "grab & run" thieves.

^
    It actually sound ideal for small scale businesses that do most of their work on the internet. This way, people can touch and feel their products before ordering their customized version online. The small amount of product in shop also works for those who never buy online.

262053991-001
    31-Oct-2017
    8882 - 170 STREET NW
    Plan 8421891 Blk 28 Lot 6
    8882 - 170 STREET NW
    Plan 8421891 Blk 28 Lot 5
    8882 - 170 STREET NW
    Plan 8322082 Blk 22 Lot 7
    8882 - 170 STREET NW
    Plan 8421542 Blk 22 Lot 6A

To Construct interior alterations, tenant store front improvements. Nikko Sushi Plus

GH CONSTRUCTION LTD O/A GOLDEN HAMMER CONSTRUCTION

So what part of the mall has the worst turnover rate for stores? I see most of the places in the mall seem to be there for ages (even the rock store!), even in the "death corners" (like Sears & Target's immediate areas). Once upon a time, the area by the Galaxyland food court (where the Sanrio Store used be be) seemed to have a new tenant every other month, and NOTHING could stay alive there. Is there any other place like that these days?

^sanrio store???

^sanrio store???
    They had a Sanrio store by the food court- Hello Kitty & Keroppi merchandise and stuff like that. It was there for quite a few years, if I remember correctly- certainly when I moved to Edmonton, and for a while after that. I don't remember when it closed. There was a sit-down restaurant beside it, that morphed into the store that's there now.

^sanrio store???
    They had a Sanrio store by the food court- Hello Kitty & Keroppi merchandise and stuff like that. It was there for quite a few years, if I remember correctly- certainly when I moved to Edmonton, and for a while after that. I don't remember when it closed. There was a sit-down restaurant beside it, that morphed into the store that's there now.
    Was that what was there before Quizno's?

Do you remember when rosey's was where champs is now and where mc d's and the flipflop shop used to be smittys

^sanrio store???

Do you remember when rosey's was where champs is now and where mc d's and the flipflop shop used to be smittys
    I believe Quizno's replaced either the Sanrio store or whatever was next to it. I'm pretty sure the Sanrio store was right next to the restaurant. Was that Rosey's? I forget what was there- the only time I was ever there was when a lady in a whelechair needed me to cart her over there from Zellers.

I don't remember McDonald's ever moving. I DO remember there being three of the things in the mall, however, which always struck me as insane. One was absolutely huge (right next to the arcade), one was a tiny booth in the food court (still there), and another was medium-sized and across from the old Edo Japan (where I think the Tutti Frutti is now). And then one year, I think both of those McDonald's closed down, and we were left with only one. I wonder if the other two were just losing money, or the company didn't see the need to have THREE of them, especially with a larger restaurant just across the street from the mall.

So I went to the mall today, and didn't see too much new. Though "West Edmonton Coin & Stamp" inexplicably had a SECOND shop open, right next to the "Funko Pop" collectible store (aka "It's like Hot Topic, but spacious, white, and with 1/20th the amount of product!"). This one seems to have more of the sports memorabilia. I wonder what's going on there- a secondary outlet for the holidays? Are they moving from their giant location to this smaller one?

Their shop is neat to visit, but their prices are astonishing- they sell the same Disney merchandise for about $20 higher than any other place in the mall! That convenience store by the food court will sell an Ariel for $45 that this store sells for $85!!

There's a really nice-looking Nesspresso store on the upper level by Chinatown. Though... what is it with modern store design? I feel like it looks exactly the same as the new Kingsway Bay, the upscale "Luxury Goods" store by the Santa Maria, and every OTHER new store. People are gonna look back on this era as the "White Square Era of Design"- EVERY STORE looks the same now! They're all bright, white and sparse, with minimalistic white squares everywhere. I had to go into Hot Topic & Spencer's just to enjoy some claustrophobia and darkness again.

^sanrio store???

I believe Quizno's replaced either the Sanrio store or whatever was next to it. I'm pretty sure the Sanrio store was right next to the restaurant. Was that Rosey's? I forget what was there- the only time I was ever there was when a lady in a whelechair needed me to cart her over there from Zellers.

I don't remember McDonald's ever moving. I DO remember there being three of the things in the mall, however, which always struck me as insane. One was absolutely huge (right next to the arcade), one was a tiny booth in the food court (still there), and another was medium-sized and across from the old Edo Japan (where I think the Tutti Frutti is now). And then one year, I think both of those McDonald's closed down, and we were left with only one. I wonder if the other two were just losing money, or the company didn't see the need to have THREE of them, especially with a larger restaurant just across the street from the mall.

So I went to the mall today, and didn't see too much new. Though "West Edmonton Coin & Stamp" inexplicably had a SECOND shop open, right next to the "Funko Pop" collectible store (aka "It's like Hot Topic, but spacious, white, and with 1/20th the amount of product!"). This one seems to have more of the sports memorabilia. I wonder what's going on there- a secondary outlet for the holidays? Are they moving from their giant location to this smaller one?

Their shop is neat to visit, but their prices are astonishing- they sell the same Disney merchandise for about $20 higher than any other place in the mall! That convenience store by the food court will sell an Ariel for $45 that this store sells for $85!!

There's a really nice-looking Nesspresso store on the upper level by Chinatown. Though... what is it with modern store design? I feel like it looks exactly the same as the new Kingsway Bay, the upscale "Luxury Goods" store by the Santa Maria, and every OTHER new store. People are gonna look back on this era as the "White Square Era of Design"- EVERY STORE looks the same now! They're all bright, white and sparse, with minimalistic white squares everywhere. I had to go into Hot Topic & Spencer's just to enjoy some claustrophobia and darkness again.
    As well as the locations of McDonalds that you mentioned they also had a store at the end of Bourbon Street as well as one in phase one lower level close to Bombay.
    I'm having people over later to stare at their phones,if you want to drop by

They didn't have all five at once though, did they? I only ever remember seeing three at once, and that lasted 5-6 years after I moved to Edmonton in 2002-ish.

I don't think there were 5 McDs in WEM. Probably 3 at the most.

I remember during the 80s and 90s McDs had a seated eatery in the Phase 3 food court, and another seated eatery in Phase 2 north of the Ice Palace. Both closed ages ago, likely because they no longer saw any value of maintaining their own seating when mall patrons can use food court seating.

The kiosk near the Phase 1 food court has been there for quite a while now, not sure when it opened.

Apparently the Coin & Stamp store I noticed is just a temporary location for "overflow" until Christmas.

Going to WEM on Sundays is weird- it's absolutely PACKED like a Saturday, but the mall closes at 6pm in the middle of the rush, so everyone has to bail at once. I know some people hate working Sundays, but they'd probably make a lot of money staying open till 9 or so. What else are people going to do?

Some of the chains are pushing the limits and staying opening until 7

I know Chapters does. I think everyone else shuts down, though. One of the things I missed about Target is they gave you an extra hour in the mall after closing (I sleep in, so it's annoying to get to the mall at like 5 and have a ticking clock otherwise).

Restaurants, the Rec Room (I still haven't gone in their on the weekdays- how bad is it? It's HUGELY busy on Saturdays), Ed's, etc. are all open later, though.

is the micro mall like a cube mall? we have some in vancouver, people can rent out a cube and they have an attendant to open it for you. They had one on robson street for a while, it might still be there.

I like that. That's cool. Have your own little piece of the mall.

Kind of reminds me of the Old Strathcona Antique Mall. People rent out booths and put their old stuff in it- some people actually have neat set-ups, though others just throw all their old crap in there, basically using the things for storage . Some things have been in there for ages.

Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 394546474849