Thread: Oilers talking about move to Quebec City?

Default Oilers talking about move to Quebec City?

Insane.

Top Edmonton Oilers executives, including President of Hockey Operations Kevin Lowe, are to meet Quebec City Mayor Regis Labeaume Wednesday to discuss possible relocation, QMI has learned.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/sports/my.../16387741.html
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    Insane.

Top Edmonton Oilers executives, including President of Hockey Operations Kevin Lowe, are to meet Quebec City Mayor Regis Labeaume Wednesday to discuss possible relocation, QMI has learned.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/sports/my.../16387741.html
    The Edmonton Sun at its finest -- take one fact and spin, spin, spin. Lowe said nothing at all like this and we're basing the emotion of the article on a "source close to the Oilers". Hey, if Eklund can make money by sourcing his cat, why can't the Edmonton Sun get in on the trend in hopes of selling a few more papers.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

This has ZERO to do with the Oilers leaving Edmonton and everything to do with different groups coming together to form a coalition to pressure the Feds for arena funding.

Oilers organization denys they're in talks for possible relocation

The Katz Group is denying reports that they are meeting with Quebec City Mayor Regis Labeaume Wednesday to discuss a possible relocation.

According to Quebecor Media (QMI), the Oilers executives made their way to Quebec City to chat about a possible relocation.

But Oilers communications denies that's the case. Allan Watt, Oilers VP of communications said the organization is meeting with officials in Quebec City to merely exchange ideas with a city that is also looking to build a new arena.

The meeting comes on the heels of the city wrapping up a series of public consultations about a proposed downtown arena and entertainment district for Edmonton.

Nearly 30,000 people chose to take part in a City of Edmonton survey on the proposed project.

The survey asked participants if the proposed arena should be built in our city and whether people who would use it should pay a ticket surcharge to help foot the bill to build it. Another question posed in the questionnaire asked if Northlands should be involved in a new arena.

Link: http://edmonton.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...1201/20101201/

Quote Originally Posted by Hilman View Post
    This has ZERO to do with the Oilers leaving Edmonton and everything to do with different groups coming together to form a coalition to pressure the Feds for arena funding.
    Exactly.

Journalists who present wild speculations as fact should all be fired.

There are no journalists at the sun anymore. Just monkeys who copy and paste stuff out of context from the wire, and try to come up with a story. With a headline like this, its very obvious they are trying to sell papers rather than focusing on a story.
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

I can't believe people actually believe this nonsense. Both cities are trying to work out funding formulas for new arenas... hence, talking makes sense. The Sun is getting more ridiculous by the minute.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

In Guantanamo (Banned)

The city will eventually cave on handing Katz his "Garden of Earthly Delights", but hey, keeping the pressure on with the odd very unsubtle veiled threat just helps keep folks in line.

Is Edmonton really THAT insecure...

This article is a bunch of garbage IMO
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Garbage it may be, but it still presents poor optics to the public. There's a lot of anti-hockey and anti-arena taxpayers in this city that will use any new excuse to say good riddance.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

^ thats why the sun did.. so they all spen a buck on their POS rag... sorry I am mad!
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Poor optics? This is a horribly written article with no sources, no quotes and no name posted by the "journalist", who wrote this article? This has joke written all over it.

So what Chmilz is trying to say is the Oilers shouldn't seek advice from other cities and teams looking to build a new arena. Just go in, and do it blindfolded, because there are monkeys that pose as journalists at the Sun?

If that's ammo for the anti-oiler, anti-arena crowds, so be it. That ammo isn't going to do much damage if any.
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Gene Principe tweet:

"Oil fans don't panic because Lowe and Laforge in QCity..mayor wanted to meet with them to discuss new arenas..Oilers not moving East.Auvroir"

C2E SME

What a terrible story. The NHL under no circumstances would let the Oilers relocate to Quebec City. It would never happen. Edmonton is one of the most profitable hockey markets in the NHL and has been since the lockout. Everything else aside (and that's a lot of "else") it wouldn't make any financial sense for the NHL. Quebec City is a much more marginal hockey market than Edmonton.

Did it ever occur to the journalist that both cities are currently looking at building new arenas, and that they're perhaps getting together to brainstorm and see if the other has any good ideas they might want to consider, as well as to coordinate lobbying of the Federal government?

Nah, must be a secret plan by the evil Katz to relocate the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz
    Garbage it may be, but it still presents poor optics to the public. There's a lot of anti-hockey and anti-arena taxpayers in this city that will use any new excuse to say good riddance.
    So they're not allowed to meet and discuss their mutual interests? Or do they have to do it in secret because someone might do some yellow journalism about it? What would you have to say if the meeting was kept hush hush but word still leaked out? Would that make the optics better?
    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 01-12-2010 at 02:50 PM.

I'd rather C2E than work!

I actually laughed out loud.

How embarrasing for a so-called newspaper.
    ... gobsmacked

C2E SME

Yup, it's a sad joke that they published such reporting. Were I the Oilers media relations people, I would instruct all Oilers staff and players to not respond to any questions from Sun reporters during scrums and conferences until the Sun retracts the story and apologizes.

Hey now, maybe I read into it too much. I see the error of my ways.

I do feel that this will turn into some buddy-up with Quebec to get federal money for arenas, which pisses me off since the west apparently can't get crap unless the east gets it too, despite the fact we're the ones paying their way anyway.

Gene Principe tweet:

"Oil fans don't panic because Lowe and Laforge in QCity..mayor wanted to meet with them to discuss new arenas..Oilers not moving East.Auvroir"
    I'd believe Gino long before I'd pay half a second of attention to the Sun...it long ago stopped being a real newspaper.

In Guantanamo (Banned)

LaForge then threw water on the whole notion, after the meeting.

"We are not planning to move the Oilers at this time" he told reporters in Quebec City.

www.inews880.com

The next Sun headline..

Katz goes to veggerville... Is he moving the OILERS??
    Search the endless amounts of car adds to find out!

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    Is Edmonton really THAT insecure...

This article is a bunch of garbage IMO
    No not insecure just stupid. People that will respond to this story in the Sun only look at the headlines not the story. Why do you think there are more pictures than stories in the rag.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Terrible reporting

This is about a strategic meeting to lobby the feds for arena money.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

REXALL SPORTS CORPORATION STATEMENT REGARDING QUEBEC CITY VISIT

“Edmonton Oilers’ President and CEO Patrick LaForge, President of Hockey Operations Kevin Lowe and Katz Group CFO Paul Marcaccio met today with Quebec City Mayor Regis Labeaume and others. Our representatives are on a fact finding mission to gather information on the Quebec arena project, the contemplated funding model and that City’s discussions with other orders of government. Patrick, Kevin and Paul hope to learn from the Quebec City experience and bring back insights that will help move the process forward here in Edmonton. We remain focused on our efforts to develop the funding structure required to enable the Edmonton Arena District project to proceed. Today was a convenient date for the meeting in Quebec City since the Oilers are already in nearby Montreal to play the Canadiens and our group is with the team.”

- Bob Black, Executive Vice President
    Sports & Entertainment
    Katz Group
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

I think Oiler fans have nothing to fear. The arena negotiations are moving ahead, and we'll probably see something new in January.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Y'know what, I don't really think learning how to do the Quebecker Squeeze and learn how to shake money from the Feds is a tremendously lofty goal either.

It's all about spin with these guys & while that's fine for private industry they seem less and less the sort of business leaders we should be getting into longterm agreements over hundreds of millions with.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

^Yes cause the feds are currently paying how much attention to us here in Edmonton?.. I meal look at everything they have funded here in the last few weeks...

O wait...

OOO I like this..
    http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Alb...068/story.html

Alberta being taken for granted

"The word from the Prime Minister's Office is that southern Alberta still has plenty of muscle in the Cabinet already, so Mr. Prentice need not be replaced by an Albertan. "Calgary
    is well-represented by the Prime Minister and [Immigration Minister] Jason Kenney," declared a PMO spokesman."

"That suggests Alberta's mostly taken for granted and there's little sign Alberta Premier Ed Stelmach commands serious attention in the Prime Minister's Office, even when he files a legitimate complaint on Western grievances."

"There's reportedly a Conservative coalition in the works with the Bloc Quebecois MPs to vote funding for the Quebec City arena, setting up a flurry of demands for similar help in building for professional sports palaces in other cities."

"Alberta, which now guarantees Conservatives all but one of its 28 seats, can safely be ignored."

Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 01-12-2010 at 05:19 PM.

^an accurate take but it fails to mention that most Albertan's are OK with being left alone / ignored by the Federal government. When disputes have arisen in the past, it is because the Federal government has intervened. Keep your hands off our Oil Sands, and ignore us, and most Albertans will be happy.

By contrast, the Liberal / NDP parties policies of making us 100% reliant on exports to the U.S. (versus having access to international oil and gas prices), by baning state of the art double hulled tankers from safely navigating the B.C. coastline to connect with the future pipeline, would do far more damage to our economy than the loss of a little bit of pork.
    Last edited by moahunter; 01-12-2010 at 06:41 PM.

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=545098

Rexall Sports Corporation statement regarding Quebec City visit
    Wednesday, 01.12.2010 / 4:21 PM / News
    By Edmonton Oilers Press Release
    “Edmonton Oilers’ President and CEO Patrick LaForge, President of Hockey Operations Kevin Lowe and Katz Group CFO Paul Marcaccio met today with Quebec City Mayor Regis Labeaume and others. Our representatives are on a fact finding mission to gather information on the Quebec arena project, the contemplated funding model and that City’s discussions with other orders of government. Patrick, Kevin and Paul hope to learn from the Quebec City experience and bring back insights that will help move the process forward here in Edmonton. We remain focused on our efforts to develop the funding structure required to enable the Edmonton Arena District project to proceed. Today was a convenient date for the meeting in Quebec City since the Oilers are already in nearby Montreal to play the Canadiens and our group is with the team.”

- Bob Black, Executive Vice President
    Sports & Entertainment
    Katz Group

Katz tricks getting old and stale.............this just about sums it up.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/sports/co.../16393196.html
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

More unsubstantiated BS from the sun? Ya, that really sums it up. Good Grief.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

The only thing getting old and stale is Terry Jones, his articles are garbage.

if oilers ever moved to Quebec, Edmontonians must be held accountable for refusing public money for funding model. if ever happens, I am staying out of my hands for good.
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

^dude.

They ARE NOT GOING ANYWHERE.
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

Hey I heard from some source from somewhere that the Quebec thing is to confuse people to think that the Oilers are moving to Quebec when they are really talking to Hamilton. But unfortunately for Hamilton, those secret talks with Hamilton are actually being done to push Winnipeg to build a new arena so that the Oilers can consider moving there instead. I can veryify my story because I have the identical source that the Edm Sun has. Unfortunately I can't reveal my source because he or she or it has assured me that if I say anything, the king of Sesame Street will be banish this person to the Land of Oz. Oh and if all those three cities fall through then the Oilers will be moved to Leduc so that the Oilers will have direct access to the airport. Really, everyone, I'm telling you the truth!
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

It was believable up until you mentioned the King of Sesame Street. Clearly your source is incorrect, as Sesame Street has no King.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

LaForge puts brakes on move rumours

By ROBERT TYCHKOWSKI, Edmonton Sun
    Last Updated: December 1, 2010

MONTREAL — The question isn’t whether the Oilers are going to Quebec City.

They aren’t. Never were. Never are.

The question is whether or not the management seems to like it a little too much when people think they might.

Reacting to what has now been exposed as a bad scoop out of Quebec City, team president Patrick LaForge said the visit by he, Kevin Lowe and Katz Group head Paul Marcaccio was a fact-finding mission and not a shot across Edmonton’s bow.

“I have no idea how it started, but I’d be interested in knowing how it did,” said Laforge, insisting the visit had nothing to do with planning an escape there. “We have no plans to move the team. We didn’t discuss it, it wasn’t on the table, it never came up.

“We told people we were going to go from Ottawa to Quebec City and have coffee with the mayor, We were there for 50 minutes, and before we even got there there were headlines that we were moving the team.”

It’s the same thing that happened after they visited Hamilton to discuss running their building. Every time Oilers brass goes somewhere to discuss arena management or funding, a segment of the population in Edmonton views it as something between subtle pressure and a veiled threat.

The conspiracy theorists will tell you the Oilers want there to be fear in the air, and are loving the turbulence this created. That they intentionally let the situation percolate to scare their fans, and city council.

Full story: http://www.edmontonsun.com/sports/my.../16395481.html

In Guantanamo (Banned)

They aren’t. Never were. Never are.

The question is whether or not the management seems to like it a little too much when people think they might.

Reacting to what has now been exposed as a bad scoop out of Quebec City, team president Patrick LaForge said the visit by he, Kevin Lowe and Katz Group head Paul Marcaccio was a fact-finding mission and not a shot across Edmonton’s bow.

“I have no idea how it started, but I’d be interested in knowing how it did,” said Laforge, insisting the visit had nothing to do with planning an escape there. “We have no plans to move the team. We didn’t discuss it, it wasn’t on the table, it never came up.

“We told people we were going to go from Ottawa to Quebec City and have coffee with the mayor, We were there for 50 minutes, and before we even got there there were headlines that we were moving the team.”

It’s the same thing that happened after they visited Hamilton to discuss running their building. Every time Oilers brass goes somewhere to discuss arena management or funding, a segment of the population in Edmonton views it as something between subtle pressure and a veiled threat.

The conspiracy theorists will tell you the Oilers want there to be fear in the air, and are loving the turbulence this created. That they intentionally let the situation percolate to scare their fans, and city council.

...as I said 30 posts ago.

If I were Katz (I have the hair,) I'd cultivate these rumors myself; it all ratchets up the pressure and keeps the momentum going. As we've already seen with the city survey, katz likes a little gamesmanship.

Why would Daryl Katz want to move to Quebec? The taxes in that province are insane.

never answered e-mail

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    Why would Daryl Katz want to move to Quebec? The taxes in that province are insane.
    offset by handouts

C2E Continued Contributor

Anyone read a copy of the SUN today? Waht a waste of newsprint. The SUN is the worst piece of trash to come out of E-town. Terry Jones has sunk to an all-time low.

Unbelievable how that rag can fabricate a "story" out of nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by andy8244 View Post

...as I said 30 posts ago.

If I were Katz (I have the hair,) I'd cultivate these rumors myself; it all ratchets up the pressure and keeps the momentum going. As we've already seen with the city survey, katz likes a little gamesmanship.
    I think even Katz is smart enough to know this city has seen that "gamemanship" movie before and it doesn't go over very well...there would be as much bad PR as good "pressure" on the city as I see it.

Had to laugh at the Edmonton Sun editorial today basically blaming the entire story (that they fabricated) on Kevin Lowe not returning their phone call fast enough...truly pathetic media outlet....

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by hosshumard View Post
    Had to laugh at the Edmonton Sun editorial today basically blaming the entire story (that they fabricated) on Kevin Lowe not returning their phone call fast enough...truly pathetic media outlet....
    ^ QFT

I thought the very same thing when I read that article. Uhhhh....people, YOU are the ones that started this unsubstantiated rumour. Crappy journalism at its worst.

C2E SME

Actually, normally I don't mind Jones. But that one was brutal. Completely brutal. Like I said, I sincerely hope that the Oilers refuse any and all media inquiries or questions from the Sun for the next while. Freeze them out if they want to behave like idiots as opposed to actual journalists.

I think even Katz is smart enough to know this city has seen that "gamemanship" movie before and it doesn't go over very well...there would be as much bad PR as good "pressure" on the city as I see it.
    Exactly. Half this city was within an inch of murdering Pocklington for pulling those kind of stunts. And as a result, Oilers attendance dropped to record lows.

Katz isn't stupid enough to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Actually, normally I don't mind Jones. But that one was brutal. Completely brutal. Like I said, I sincerely hope that the Oilers refuse any and all media inquiries or questions from the Sun for the next while. Freeze them out if they want to behave like idiots as opposed to actual journalists.
    Tough for these guys to act like "actual journalists" as long as the paper has the "if it bleeds...it leads" mentality.

As for Jones, he's been mailing it in for years. Take a close look at most of his pieces, a faint grudge opinion surrounded by quotes...any trained monkey can shove a tape recorder in front of somebody's face and he does it well....
    Last edited by hosshumard; 02-12-2010 at 07:46 PM.

You have to wonder if some bogus journo from The Seattle Times writes some of the crap in that rag.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

With katz now living in Vancouver anything is possible
    Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

Katz now lives in Vancouver?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I doubt that, and what does have to do with anything anyways?

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Blueline View Post
    With katz now living in Vancouver anything is possible
    Do you work for The Sun?

Quote Originally Posted by soycd View Post
    ^ QFT

I thought the very same thing when I read that article. Uhhhh....people, YOU are the ones that started this unsubstantiated rumour. Crappy journalism at its worst.
    Really thats all?

They fabricate a front cover story and thats the best excuse they can come up with?
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

The word on the street is that the family felt there may be better opportunities and less hassle for their children
    BUT
    It is all very second hand
    Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

^Interesting, I know they used to snowbird. Not to give legs to a rumor I have not heard, but it could be true from what I have observed recently regarding an activity they have pulled out of.

Default Stephen Mandel says threat of losing Oilers was 'big card' in arena deal

I was trying to think of the right thread for this, so many arena threads. Apologies if already discussed somewhere, I don't want to pollute a real estate thread though. In some respects, this one seems appropriate, given at the time, these rumors were flying, and it seems now, had some truth to them (interesting all the people calling it garbage or terrible reporting back at the time):

I think it was a big, big card that the Katz Group were able to play," Mandel said. "In most negotiations, the city always has the upper hand, because we control the world around us. In this instance, we did not control the world around us."

The former mayor said the deal almost fell apart at many points, and he said Katz probably felt he also gave up too much.

Ultimately, Mandel said it's not the responsibility of the Katz Group to solve social issues in the city.

"It's collectively our responsibilities, and the province should do a better job ... in helping those who are in need," he said.

"And so to place that upon the development is a bit onerous and a bit unfair."

Groups from inner-city neighbourhoods that surround Rogers Place are pointing to community benefits agreements made in other cities, including Los Angeles, Pittsburgh and Vancouver, that laid out requirements for affordable housing, training and jobs.

They say Edmonton's agreement, a one-page document titled Schedule D, is too vague. The Oilers agreed to use their "best efforts" to encourage employment and training.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...deal-1.3740345

I'm a bit confused why Mandel is brining this up now. Missing the spotlight? Upset about all the rent increases in the vicinity of arena district? Or just deflecting back at the comments of concerned social groups in the area?
    Last edited by moahunter; 30-08-2016 at 02:37 PM.

Gee, maybe because CBC wanted to ask the cheif architect of the deal on the eve of opening?

Duh, think?
    Let's make Edmonton better.

^I didn't say otherwise, just don't understand why Mandel would say he was threatened into the deal, he certainly didn't say this at the time of the negotiations or council vote, publically. I guess he is ashamed of the deal perhaps? Not sure. I support the arena, but this is very weird coming out now, seeing that the Sun was perhaps right - where smoke, fire.
    Last edited by moahunter; 30-08-2016 at 04:24 PM.

Katz group have upper hand to force the city to accept the deal to built the arena or else