Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Energy Projects in and around Edmonton

C2E Continued Contributor

The major Petro-chem plants in Alberta are very well maintained and they spend millions yearly on maintenance and upgrades. No plants that I am aware of are running themselves to the ground.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by JJMorrocco View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
    “We are on the verge of an explosion of development. Shale gas could be as big a resource to Alberta as the oilsands,” he said during Thursday’s stakeholder update at the Expo Centre.
    With provincial government estimates of 3,400 trillion cubic feet of natural gas, 58 billion barrels of natural gas liquids and 423 billion barrels of oil contained in the barely explored Duvernay, that would easily mean a doubling of the supply of feedstocks for the petrochemical industry based in the Fort Saskatchewan and Red Deer areas.

“All this means we have the potential to transform the regional economy from a great resource centre into a great resource processing centre. Why not create more products here for this market, and products we can rail out?”

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin..._lsa=0e54-e35b

I find it hard to believe any new plants will be built here most petro chem has been moved to Asia. Existing profitable plants will be maxed out and then closed once at end of life. However there will be numerous LNG plants built to ship all that cheap gas over to asia to make those pertro chems and return them as finished products!
    Check it out for yourself.
    List of projects underway in the Alberta Industrial Heartland.

http://www.industrialheartland.com/i...&Itemid=100079
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Default Really heavy loads hit the highways in Alberta

Sturgeon refinery’s pressure vessels, weighing thousands of tonnes, took long road from Japan
    A dozen megaloads, which represent the disassembled vessel components weighing up to 510 tonnes each, are being hauled this week from a CN Rail siding north of Redwater down secondary roads to the refinery construction site northeast of Fort Saskatchewan.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...746/story.html
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

^ From that article and for those who can't find the info:
    All equipment will be transported on the following route:
    • Load leaves Egremont on Highway 827 south to Highway 28.
    • East on Highway 28 to the junction of Highways 28 and 829.
    • South on Highway 829 to Highway 644.
    • West of Highway 644 to Highway 38.
    • South on Highway 38 to Highway 643, and finally
    • East access to Fort Saskatchewan refinery.

Default Paul First Nation, Focus Equities plan province’s largest power project

The First Nation announced recently it has formed a partnership with development company Focus Equities on a proposed 1,000-megawatt, gas-fired power plant that would cost about $1 billion to build and would be connected to the provincial grid. Plans are to build the Great Spirit Power Project in one phase — four gas-fired turbines in combination with two steam turbines — and have the 30-month construction on Paul First Nation industrial park land completed in 2017.

Default Oilsands the giant of Canada’s economy, study finds

And with oilsands production expected to double by 2025, the benefits to Alberta and every province, as well as the U.S., are expected to double. That’s according to Oilsands Economic Benefits: Today and in the Future, a report prepared by U.S.-based IHS in co-operation with three Canadian university business departments and various petroleum associations and companies.

By 2025, 753,000 jobs — equivalent to five per cent of total Canadian employment in 2012 — will be linked to the oilsands.

“Oilsands production already represents a significant economic contribution to the Canadian economy, with annual expenditures already greater than the gross domestic product of half of the Canadian provinces,” said Jackie Forrest, IHS senior director, who heads the IHS CERA Oil Sands Dialogue.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph60 View Post
    The major Petro-chem plants in Alberta are very well maintained and they spend millions yearly on maintenance and upgrades. No plants that I am aware of are running themselves to the ground.

Celanese closed, and DOW has closed many of its units over the past decade.

Yes they are still well maintained as they have to be to the end but you see no major upgrades or expnasions in the petro chem sector.

Nova chemicals in Joffre has been doing constant debottle neckecking and hot rodding since their last MAJOR expansion in 2000. Also spending 1 billion expansion as we speak, started moving earth November of 2012 when I was out there for the haul road onto site

Default Enbridge bypasses U.S. permit process for $7-billion pipeline upgrade Add to ...

The 1,660 kilometre Line 3 now moves 390,000 barrels a day, with shipments restricted by the company’s view of its ability to handle higher volumes. The replacement would move up to 760,000 barrels a day.
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle17269785/

Default Higher toll fees for Sturgeon Refinery won’t hurt economics, energy minister says

In its 2013-14 annual report this week, the government said tolls it will pay over a 30-year period are now estimated to be $26 billion — up from the previous estimate of $19 billion.

“It fundamentally won’t change the project if you look over the long term of the 30 years,” McQueen said Friday. “It’s still a good project and a good investment for Albertans, especially when we look at the number of jobs, (and) the revenues, with regards to taxes.

Andrew Leach, Enbridge professor of energy policy at the University of Alberta, has questioned the project’s worth. On Friday he said that if the province was simply seeking maximum dollar value for its bitumen, taxpayers might have been better served by other alternatives.

“For example,” Leach said, “could the Alberta government have purchased an operating interest in a refinery on the Gulf Coast? And could they have done that for significantly less than a $26-billion long-run operating/capital cost? Probably.”

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...221/story.html

What about building a refinery??? 10 billion? Cost over runs up to 15billion? Auction it off, once producing 100-150 000 barrels a day!!!!! Even if we lost a few billion we could see that back in jobs and taxes ten fold in a few years!

Is my theory off? After all the big companies are gun shy and relying on investors. We should have stepped in in 2009 and did this!!!

Default Firm tests water-recovery, cleaning technology in oilsands

Here is a celebrity who puts his money where his mouth is instead of grandstanding.

The technology was in its infancy when employed in 2010 after the massive Deepwater Horizon well blowout in the Gulf of Mexico. Researchers developing the equipment flew to Houston to meet with industry representatives, who then placed units on a half-dozen vessels helping with cleanup operations.

The technology was used to separate oil and sea water skimmed off the surface, and then to clean the water so it could be pumped back into the ocean.

The success under such challenging conditions led to Water Planet Engineering being launched the following year, with Hollywood actor Kevin Costner as a principal investor.
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...309/story.html

Capital Power gets permission to build Genesees 4 & 5 power plants.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin..._lsa=6202-db04
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

Default Suncor Energy upgraded as Citi bullish on Canadian oil

Suncor Energy Inc. was upgraded to buy from neutral at Citi Research as part of its bullish call on Canadian integrated oil companies

Citi now has buy ratings on all four major integrated oil producers in Canada, which also includes Cenovus Energy Inc., Husky Energy Inc. and Imperial Oil Ltd.

Mr. Bhardwaj expects they will grow production by roughly 7% per year between 2015 and 2020 and generate an average free cash flow yield of about 8%. That compares to a free cash flow yield forecast of approximately 5.6% for the global oil majors.

“The key difference from the past is that rail will act as an important buffer until Keystone XL, Energy East and/or the Transmountain Expansion are online (2018+),” Mr. Bhardwaj said.
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...799/story.html

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Pembina Pipelines building diluent hub in Industrial Heartland
    EDMONTON JOURNAL OCTOBER 9, 2014 11:39 AM

EDMONTON - Pembina Pipelines Corp. is building a large-scale condensate and diluent terminal at its Heartland Terminal near Fort Saskatchewan.

The Canadian Diluent Hub will augment Pembina’s existing diluent handling facilities in the Fort Saskatchewan area, the company said in a news release.

The project’s first phase is expected to cost $350 million. It will include 600,000 barrels of above-ground storage, multiple inbound and outbound pipeline connections, and associated pumping and metering facilities.

An anticipated second phase would see construction of additional rail facilities and development of underground cavern storage.

Site preparation work has begun. Pembina expects to phase-in storage and pipeline connections in 2016, and for the new facility to be fully operational by spring 2017.

Diluents are lighter viscosity petroleum products that are used to dilute bitumen so it can be transported in pipelines.

Pembina’s existing diluent handling facilities in the Fort Saskatchewan area include 20,000 barrels per day of rail import capacity, 500,000 barrels of underground storage and 180,000 barrels per day of delivery capacity to third-party diluent pipelines.
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...dmontonjournal

Default New $14M Edmonton facility gives C-FER room to grow

EDMONTON - C-FER Technologies marked the opening Friday of a $14-million research and testing facility that will help pipeline companies and other energy industry clients meet complex technological challenges.

“When people need to test, and there is nothing built, they come to us, because if anybody can do it, it’s us,” C-FER’s managing director Francisco Alhanati said in an interview. “People come from all over the world to have their equipment tested in Edmonton
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B0GPcvXCMAAiMc4.jpg

Some big financial news in the next couple weeks which may impact projects:

Among major companies, Imperial Oil Ltd. will announce its results on Monday, Suncor Energy Inc. on Wednesday, Talisman Energy on Feb. 10, and Cenovus and Husky two days later. Canadian Natural Resources Ltd. results are not due till March 11.
    http://business.financialpost.com/20..._lsa=58ee-9922

Default New Investment Expected in Canada’s Manufacturing Sector

Alberta’s Industrial Heartland (April 24, 2015) - New investment in the manufacturing sector is expected as a result of a long term tax credit announced in the Government of Canada’s 2015 Budget. Alberta’s Industrial Heartland Association commends this initiative. The program provides long term certainty to industry and helps boost Canada’s global competitiveness to attract new investment.
    http://www.industrialheartland.com/i...udget_2015.pdf

Default Canada’s oil will find its way to the end point of Keystone XL

This is a great article about the need for Alberta oil.
    Despite the massive, celebrity environmental movement campaign to stall Canadian oilsands growth Canadian heavy oil is nevertheless making its way here in significant and increasing spurts. President Barack Obama, under pressure from his big-eco backers, may have refused to grant a permit for the northern cross-border leg of Keystone XL, but just as water will find its way through any crack in a foundation, Canada’s oil keeps streaming its way to Texas’ refinery row.

It helps that American buyers are eager for Canada’s oil, even as the green class claims otherwise, and as the U.S. produces gushers of light oil of its own from tight reservoirs — enough to boost world oil supplies to a point where it has tested OPEC’s grip on world oil markets.

Because the fact is that many refineries in the Gulf are built to process the kind of heavy oil similar to what Canada produces. All that production from U.S. tight fields is light and requires different processing.With imports from overseas, quality can be inconsistent, so U.S. refiners love their Canadian fix.

“It’s very good feedstock. It’s of consistent quality and therefore it’s easier for us to run,” said Gary Heminger, president and CEO of Marathon Petroleum Corp., the fourth-largest U.S. refiner. “We’ve been running Canadian heavy for quite some time, and I’d like to run a lot more,”
    http://business.financialpost.com/ne..._lsa=3402-77a6
    Last edited by Glenco; 02-05-2015 at 01:02 PM.

Default George Soros is betting on the Canadian energy sector. Should you too?

http://business.financialpost.com/in...should-you-too
    Blue-chip stocks, like Suncor, Cenovus, and Canadian Natural Resources, are a great way to play a recovery. Because of the leverage inherent in their businesses, shares could rise even faster than underlying oil prices. And given that these are some of the largest resource firms in the country, they have the size and scale to survive the industry’s current doldrums.
    Last edited by Glenco; 19-05-2015 at 12:12 PM.

Default Staples: Gibbons blasts city managers for stalled industrial park

On Wednesday, Iveson congratulated Gibbons and city administrators on solving one stumbling block, which was getting the region’s towns and counties to agree to sell Epcor the main water line in the area so that new Energy Park businesses can get water.

It took 18 years to put that deal together, Gibbons said, mainly because surrounding towns weren’t keen to hand over the line and see Edmonton’s park move ahead. “That’s how they can control this land and not have it developed.”

So what’s the problem now?

For Energy Park to take off, it needs proper road access. Big trucks need to easily and safely enter the park.

In the short term, simply for safety’s sake, there needs to be traffic lights at the Manning Drive/Meridian St. intersection. Next, so traffic can flow freely, a $100-plus million exchange is in order there.

“My first quest is getting that damn thing built in the next five years,” Gibbons said.
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...346/story.html
    Last edited by Glenco; 12-06-2015 at 09:23 PM.

Default y module, Sturgeon Refinery northeast of Edmonton rising from ground

If the planned second and third phases go ahead, the site could see 10 years of steady construction activity, said MacGregor, who is president, chief executive and board chairman at North West Upgrading Inc., one of the partners in the project.

Like Bertsch, MacGregor touts employment benefits in a year that has seen thousands of job losses across Alberta’s energy sector.

“We’ll be at 5,000 workers next summer, about 86 per cent building trades,” MacGregor said.

http://edmontonjournal.com/business/...ng-from-ground
    Last edited by Glenco; 20-09-2015 at 12:13 PM.

C2E Posting Power

Thank God this project is happening. As we know it - the ONLY major capital spending in Alberta is being done by Suncor at Fort Hills. Cenovus pulled the pin on the Narrows, CNRL cancelled Kirby North. Surmont is done, Nexen a small bit at Kinosis. Imperial has not committed to a new phase at Kearl - yikes! Now I am stuck back in BC - which I hate - cuz the Asians are the only ones spending with Encana and Progress.

Where do we stand on the various plants and major projects that were planned? Does anyone have a link to any site that might track them?

The cancellations are too bad in one sense but in another sense, production cancellations will reduce future supply and thus help create upward pressure oil prices.
    Last edited by KC; 08-12-2015 at 06:35 PM.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Basically everything is deferred including major power plants.
    There are still irons in the fire but the is no rush now to get shovel ready.
    The uncertainty in oil and the carbon tax structure and public subsidy on coal fired power replacement makes for volatility.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Alberta power grid gets stronger with new direct current transmission lines
    http://edmontonjournal.com/business/...smission-lines

Alberta’s electricity grid has a stronger backbone with the completion of two high-voltage direct current transmission lines between Edmonton and Calgary, built at a combined cost of $3.5 billion.

AltaLink’s 350-kilometre, 500-kilovolt Western Alberta Transmission Line between Wabamun and Calgary became operational on Thursday.

Atco Electric is nearing the end of commissioning for its 485-km, 500-kV Eastern Alberta Transmission Line between the Gibbons area and Brooks, 190 km southeast of Calgary.

They are Alberta’s first DC transmission lines and the largest projects in each company’s history. AltaLink’s line cost $1.7 billion and the Atco project cost $1.8 billion.
    DC lines are also highly controllable, allowing electricity to be pushed to where it’s needed.

AltaLink president Scott Thon said the ability to control the electricity flow will be of benefit to all Albertans, especially with the coming shift toward renewable energy sources. Testing last month provided a demonstration of how the typical north-to-south electricity flow in Alberta can be reversed, he said.

“When the wind was blowing in southern Alberta, we were flowing large quantities on the new HVDC line up into the Edmonton region from southern Alberta, and that’s just really unique,” Thon said. “That just speaks to the flexibility of the new technology.”

Atco Electric president Sett Policicchio said the Eastern Alberta line will be able to move wind and solar energy generated in southeastern Alberta to the northern part of the province.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Not in Edmonton but may boost some of the local supply/service companies.

Imperial Oil unveils plans for $2-billion Cold Lake oil sands project
    JEFF LEWIS
    CALGARY — The Globe and Mail
    Published Friday, Mar. 11, 2016

Imperial Oil Ltd. has unveiled plans for a $2-billion oil sands project that it says will harness new technology to cut costs and lower carbon emissions, a sign that the industry’s biggest players are making plans to revive growth despite sputtering crude prices.

Imperial, which this week sold about 500 retail gas stations in a $2.8-billion deal, said on Friday that it has filed an application with the Alberta Energy Regulator for a new steam-driven oil sands plant located near its existing operations in Cold Lake, Alta.

The project would pump about 50,000 barrels of bitumen per day from the Grand Rapids area. Construction could start as early as 2019, with first oil in 2022, assuming timely regulatory approvals and “favourable” market conditions, the company said without elaborating.
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle29174102/

C2E Posting Power
    Alberta Avenue, Boyle Street, McCauley, San Tan Valley

^
    Some of the posters here will be sad to see this. Goes against their forecasts that Alberta is Canada's version of the rust belt and Edmonton destined to be a version of Detroit.

Energy stocks will be used up some and away we go again. Im old and I have seen this time and time again. Its like the hog business or the beef business. No quotas, no supply management so that's what happens. Up and down, up and down. No one can write us off yet.

We have vast untapped reserves, global reserves are in decline, and global demand is likely to keep increasing. However, oil is a commodity so yes we are like the rust belt. Production has moved abroad in many ways and competition has increased as it did for the rust belt. Cars are still being made in Detroit, but not as many. Oil can still be produced in Alberta, but maybe not as much if prices don't rise enough, or costs fall enough to make it profitable.

I wonder if this is using the parafinic froth treatment. US Oil (Utah oil sands) has another new solvent process as do others. They could be game-changers.

Another reference to the project..
    Imperial Oil seeks approval for a new $2B Alberta oilsands project - Calgary - CBC News
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...lant-1.3486949
    Last edited by KC; 12-03-2016 at 07:04 AM.

C2E Posting Power
    Alberta Avenue, Boyle Street, McCauley, San Tan Valley

PetroChina Unit Plans Startup of New Canadian Oil-Sands Plant

The project will mark the first production from PetroChina’s investment in two oil-sands projects in northern Alberta

TORONTO—The Canadian unit of one of China’s largest oil and gas companies is on track to start operations at a new 35,000-barrel-per-day oil-sands plant later this year despite crude prices being below break-even levels for the project, a senior executive said.

PetroChina Co.’s Brion Energy unit plans to begin steaming operations at its MacKay River oil-sands site in northern Alberta later this year and produce first oil in early in 2017, Bob Shepherd, Brion’s executive vice president, said in an interview.

“We fully expect to start it up this fall,” pending final approval from parent company PetroChina, Mr. Shepherd said.

The startup will mark the first production from PetroChina’s nearly 5 billion-Canadian-dollar ($3.9 billion) investment in two oil-sands projects in northern Alberta.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/petrochi...ant-1460651025

Thanks for the article, but I thought this thread was for Edmonton and area? McKay is about an hour+ north of Ft.Mac.

Default Alberta NDP warms up to Northern Gateway pipeline

But the premier’s press secretary, Cheryl Oates, acknowledged Thursday that Notley is rethinking her position and is now more open to Gateway.

The $6.5-billion pipeline project from Calgary-based Enbridge received tentative approval, with more than 200 conditions, from the National Energy Board in 2014, but it has faced significant opposition from the B.C. government, First Nations and environmental groups.

At an event in Calgary Thursday, NDP Economic Development Minister Deron Bilous said it is too early to comment on whether Alberta would advocate for Gateway but acknowledged the province now sees potential ways for the pipeline to get built.

The NDP’s recalibration on Gateway comes amid discussions between the two provincial governments on the idea of Alberta purchasing hydroelectricity from B.C. through a new northern intertie — meaning new dollars for B.C. while Alberta gets a new source of clean power as it phases out coal.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...197/story.html
    Last edited by Glenco; 21-04-2016 at 07:56 PM.

Default NEB approves Enbridge Line 3 pipeline replacement

Enbridge wants to spend $7.5 billion to replace its Line 3 pipeline, which stretches 1,660 kilometres from Hardisty, Alta., to Superior, Wis.

e upgrade would allow the line to pump a maximum of 760,000 barrels per day, up from the 390,000 barrels it is currently able to move.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/enbr...atch-1.3551964
    Last edited by Glenco; 25-04-2016 at 05:18 PM.

But the premier’s press secretary, Cheryl Oates, acknowledged Thursday that Notley is rethinking her position and is now more open to Gateway.

The $6.5-billion pipeline project from Calgary-based Enbridge received tentative approval, with more than 200 conditions, from the National Energy Board in 2014, but it has faced significant opposition from the B.C. government, First Nations and environmental groups.

At an event in Calgary Thursday, NDP Economic Development Minister Deron Bilous said it is too early to comment on whether Alberta would advocate for Gateway but acknowledged the province now sees potential ways for the pipeline to get built.

The NDP’s recalibration on Gateway comes amid discussions between the two provincial governments on the idea of Alberta purchasing hydroelectricity from B.C. through a new northern intertie — meaning new dollars for B.C. while Alberta gets a new source of clean power as it phases out coal.

Ha. Sleeping with the devil as they would say. Abandoning one's ideological positions due to reality stinks.

Default Enbridge’s Northern Gateway may be resuscitated as Trudeau wavers on tanker moratoriu

Enbridge Inc.’s Northern Gateway pipeline may get a new lease on life as the Canadian government wavers on a planned tanker moratorium that was previously thought to spell the end for the project.

Officials are weighing what types of petroleum products may be exempt from any moratorium, and whether certain tankers could be allowed, according to people familiar with the matter, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the talks are private.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau pledged in November to “formalize a moratorium on crude oil tanker traffic” on British Columbia’s northern coast. But cabinet ministers are noncommittal on its precise implications, while federals officials have regularly declined to comment on Northern Gateway’s prospects.

“It’s a formalized moratorium and, when we have worked out exactly what that means, we’ll let you know,” Transport Minister Marc Garneau, who is responsible for implementing the measure, said in an interview this month. Asked in a separate interview whether the moratorium pledge means Gateway is dead, he said: “It’s premature to say anything.”
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/enbri...080/story.html
    Last edited by Glenco; 25-04-2016 at 11:30 PM.

Default With Noram Ventures, Alberta could join the electric vehicle revolution

Noram Ventures Ltd. (CVE:NRM) announced a Letter of Intent for the acquisition of a 50 per cent interest in the Leduc Lithium Brine Project near Valleyview, Alberta earlier this month, putting the province into the race to become a supplier to the Electric Vehicle revolution. With fires raging in the Fort McMurray region and off-lining over a million barrels a day in oil sands production, a little good economic news is certainly a welcome respite.

At an average grade of 67.5 mg/L and assuming 5.7 billion cubic metres of water the inferred resource estimate for lithium is 385,000 tonnes (2,049,000 tonnes of Li2CO3);
    At an average grade of 4,641.3 mg/L and assuming 5.7 billion cubic metres of water the inferred resource estimate for potassium is 26,455,000 tonnes (31,868,000 tonnes of K2O);
    At an average grade of 114.0 mg/L and assuming 5.7 billion cubic metres of water the inferred resource estimate for boron is 650,000 tonnes (2,093,000 tonnes of B2O3); and
    At an average grade of 394.3 mg/L and assuming 5.7 billion cubic metres of water the inferred resource estimate for bromine is 2,248,000 tonnes (2,248,000 tonnes Br2).

http://business.financialpost.com/mi...cle-revolution
    Last edited by Glenco; 09-05-2016 at 10:49 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

kendra slugoski ‏@kendraslugoski
    100 cranes on site @ Sturgeon Refinery for construction. @GlobalEdmonton #yeg #nwr
    https://twitter.com/kendraslugoski/s...48389799092225

kendra slugoski ‏@kendraslugoski
    Impressive site. Sturgeon Refinery construction. About 5000 workers on site. @GlobalEdmonton #yeg
    https://twitter.com/kendraslugoski/s...49309203152898
    Last edited by Hilman; 19-05-2016 at 11:49 AM.

Default 1.5 billion national coastal strategy just a start, Premier Clark says

Premier Christy Clark praised on Monday the Trudeau government’s commitment to fund $1.5 billion for coastal protection measures, and said she’s confident her province will get the lion’s share.
    But Clark, who since 2012 has drawn a line in the sand declaring that any heavy oil pipeline proposals must meet conditions that include a “world-leading” safety regime, said Ottawa hasn’t yet fully met her demand.
    She told reporters Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s announcement Monday meets all B.C.’s current needs in protecting the coast from a devastating spill.
    “There’s still a lot of work to do should Kinder Morgan be approved,” she said of the $6.8-billion project which, if it gets approval in coming weeks, would increase the number of large tankers entering Burrard Inlet from five to 34 a month.
    http://www.theprovince.com/News/12361267/story.html
    Last edited by Glenco; 08-11-2016 at 11:05 PM.

Default Kinder Morgan pipeline expansion wins conditional approval; Enbridge proposal rejected

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...514/story.html

Kinder Morgan has won cabinet approval for its $6.8 billion plan to triple the capacity of its northern Alberta-to-Burnaby pipeline system to 895,000 barrels a day.
    Last edited by Glenco; 29-11-2016 at 11:36 PM.

Default Province approves 2 bids to build propane-processing plants

“We ship all our propane out. We let other people turn it into propylene and polypropylene and then we ship the polypropylene back into Canada. This announcement today will change that. We’ll start adding the value here in Alberta. We’ll get the long term jobs, the long term taxes. These plants are built and they continue running for decades.”

The Pembina Pipeline project is to receive up to $300 million in royalty credits for its $4 billion facility.

Inter Pipeline will receive up to $200 million in credits for its $1.85 billion facility.
    The credits will only be provided after construction is complete and a facility is operating.rrp
    http://www.630ched.com/syn/98/164942/164942
    Last edited by Glenco; 05-12-2016 at 09:47 PM.

Good news indeed.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

B.C. has approved Trans Mountain. While there are some court challenges, all that is really left now is for final investment decision. Accordingly, if the project is economic to Kinder Morgan, the build will start in September.

https://www.thestar.com/business/201...l-from-bc.html

The expansion would triple the capacity of the existing oil pipeline, which runs from near Edmonton to Burnaby, B.C., and is expected to increase tanker traffic seven-fold.

Among B.C.’s five conditions are world-leading marine and land oil spill response, protection and recovery measures for B.C.’s coast and land areas. The conditions also include environmental reviews, First Nations consultations and participation and economic agreements that reflect the level and nature of the risk the province bears with a heavy oil project.

“It is a federal decision, and they made it,” said Clark. “But what is our job is, is to stand up for British Columbia. It’s to fight to make sure our coasts, our land base, our communities are protected and benefiting from any change in the movement of heavy oil across our province.”

She said the financial agreement with Kinder Morgan will provide up to $1 billion to the province over the next 20 years that will go toward a B.C. Clean Communities Program that will fund local environmental projects.

Alberta Premier Rachel Notley said the announcement is good news for B.C. and Alberta after years of failure by conservative federal and provincial governments to get a pipeline approved.

“I am very happy. It is good news for Albertans,” she said.
    The new pipe will carry dilbit for export, with the existing pipe mostly carrying refined products (at the moment it carries a mix of grades from refined through to dilbit).

Default Sturgeon refinery could be the start of something even bigger, chairman says

The $8.5-billion first phase of the Sturgeon refinery isn’t scheduled to start turning bitumen into ultra low-sulphur diesel and other products until late 2017, but North West Refining chief executive and chair Ian MacGregor is champing at the bit to begin the other two phases.
    “I believe it’s the right thing to do for the future, and I will try my hardest,” MacGregor, vice-chair of Alberta’s Resource Diversification Council, said during a rencent interview in the mostly completed refinery’s administration and control centre.
    “It’s not the time to start rolling up the sidewalks. It’s time to do something, and this is the best opportunity for diversification we have had in my lifetime. Let’s get going. Let’s not talk it to death.”
    “We can build 10 of these things. There’s lots of bitumen here. We can do it economically. The U.S. is exporting a million barrels a day of diesel right now. They make our bitumen into a million barrels a day of diesel. Why don’t we do it ourselves?” he asks.
    The government hasn’t yet decided what it will do, energy ministry spokesman Brad Hartle says.“We are awaiting the completion of phase one so we can assess its operations and make sure that phase two is in the public interest.”
    http://edmontonjournal.com/business/...-chairman-says
    Last edited by Glenco; 16-01-2017 at 12:22 PM.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Trump expected to sign orders today approving Keystone XL and Dakota Access pipelines http://ow.ly/pOVw308j3qd
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12