Thread: Candidate Kerry Diotte

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

Default Candidate Kerry Diotte

This thread is to ask questions of Candidate Kerry Diotte – Councillor Ward 11.

All members are asked to allow the Candidate to post first in his or her thread. This is to allow the Candidate ample opportunity to introduce their background, platform, and any other information they may feel is pertinent to this discussion.

All decorum expected of members in the C2E Ask Forums will be expected here. An addendum is that posters may ask as many questions as they wish, but they are also politely asked to follow any instructions on posting or reply timelines that the Candidate expresses.

Thank you to all for participating in the 2010 Connect2Edmonton Election Forum!

Default Kerry Diotte responds

Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    This thread is to ask questions of Candidate Kerry Diotte – Councillor Ward 11.

All members are asked to allow the Candidate to post first in his or her thread. This is to allow the Candidate ample opportunity to introduce their background, platform, and any other information they may feel is pertinent to this discussion.

All decorum expected of members in the C2E Ask Forums will be expected here. An addendum is that posters may ask as many questions as they wish, but they are also politely asked to follow any instructions on posting or reply timelines that the Candidate expresses.

Thank you to all for participating in the 2010 Connect2Edmonton Election Forum!
    I will be happy to discuss issues re the election with anyone on here.

You may have noted, I volunteered to do a column a while back about my run for city council and it sparked some lively discussion. I love that. Fire away with your topics.

You might first have a peek at www.kerrydiotte.com in case the topics have been covered in my platform. For instance, on the airport issue, I am hearing a lot of anger at the doors from people who wanted a plebiscite and still want one. I don't blame them at all for being angry -- they feel cheated by the current city council's actions.

It's incredible how wide-spread that feeling is and it will be a very interesting election.

But there ARE other important issues on the minds of voters. In my extensive door-knocking the top three are: crime/public safety, better roads/transit and taxation.

We've got to address these concerns and, again, my website www.kerrydiotte.com explains my views on the issues.

Thanks for taking part in this forum, folks. It's important. If anyone wants to help out my campaign in these final few days for an hour or two, I'd love to have you do so.

Sincerely,
    -Kerry

The Alberta Aviation Museum Association, in 2006 a small community museum now the 3rd largest aviation collection in Canada, is a feature tourism attraction in North Edmonton currently serves (5) veterans organizations, (3) Heritage organizations, (2) Youth organizations as well as a series of (6) modern aviation volunteer organizations such as the Civil Air Search And Rescue Association. The Museum also has the most advanced K-12 aviation education programming and is currently an operationally self sufficient not for profit operation that receives no operational funding from any level of government.

This is a facility that currently receives over 150,000 individual uses per year and attracts visitors from around the world.

What do you, as a candidate commit to specifically doing to insure the ongoing success and expansion of the Alberta Aviation Museum with the closure of the City Centre Airport and the damage it will cause to the facility?

I have been directed to ask on behalf of the boards of this facility.

Thomas Hinderks
    Executive Director
    Alberta Aviation Museum

Kerry Diotte’s view on the airport issue

What's my take on the airport issue? I've been asked it a lot.

While door-knocking in Ward 11 as part of my city council campaign, scores of residents have expressed their resentment and anger of being denied the opportunity to have a final say, and vote on the fate of the City Centre Airport via a plebiscite.

I have met thousands of people at the doors this election. When the airport issue comes up (and it comes up a lot) 95% of those people who raise it say they wanted a plebiscite and most still do.

I support that sentiment. I’m hearing a great deal of cynicism about the council decision from people who tell me they are suspicious of the motives behind that decision. That's what people at the doors are expressing to me.

On a major issue such as this, that will have great impact on our city's future development, I believe the only appropriate decision-making tool is that of direct democracy. We have a long history of that in our city.

In the past, our city leadership saw fit to hold a plebiscite on the closing of Keillor Road. Surely, then, given the magnitude of this particular decision, a plebiscite is not only warranted, but is also the right thing to do.

City council might not have been legally obligated to hold a plebiscite, but many, many Edmontonians believe the politicians were morally obligated to allow one and to facilitate it.

Edmontonians, in two previous plebiscites, have voted for measures that supported the continued operation of the City Centre Airport.

If, at the end of the day, there is a plebiscite (and I believe citizens deserve one), I will respect the wishes and the direction given on this issue by the majority of voters -- whether they vote to close the airport or to keep it open.

Edmontonians are smart enough to make the right decision, and Edmonton is THEIR city.

Please get out and vote this Monday, October 18. Every vote counts.

I thank you in advance for your support.

Questions? Contact [email protected] or call 780-700-8806

grish

I would actually like to hear your reply to Tom's question about providing the support for the museum post closure of the airport. How do you intend to achieve that if elected?

Default Airport Museum

Quote Originally Posted by grish View Post
    I would actually like to hear your reply to Tom's question about providing the support for the museum post closure of the airport. How do you intend to achieve that if elected?
    To the public, the airport issue is still very much alive, so we will cross the museum bridge when we need to. I am a big fan of that museum and would be willing to sit down after the election to hear more suggestions from Tom about how we would handle that situation.
    Sometimes, it's best to defer to the experts, then back them up if what they say makes good common sense.

Thanks,
    -kd

grish

He and I aren't asking the "public". We are asking a person who is trying to become an elected decision maker.

the board of directors is asking you to deal with the evntuality of the closure that's currently on the book as a decision made by the city. Even if you manage to get elected, there will be times where things will not go your way. How will you cope? What will be your plan B once the airport issue is put to rest? And, how do you plan to support this valuable asset in our city–The Aviation Museum?

Default Kerry re museum again

Quote Originally Posted by grish View Post
    He and I aren't asking the "public". We are asking a person who is trying to become an elected decision maker.

the board of directors is asking you to deal with the evntuality of the closure that's currently on the book as a decision made by the city. Even if you manage to get elected, there will be times where things will not go your way. How will you cope? What will be your plan B once the airport issue is put to rest? And, how do you plan to support this valuable asset in our city–The Aviation Museum?
    I don't make knee-jerk decisions without some consultation. I will be GLAD to sit down to talk to you about the museum once the time is right. As mentioned, I am a fan of it. Thanks!
    -kd

It would appear your making a knee-jerk decision about the airport, without consultation... And also at the same time dismissing the countless hours of consultation done by city administrator and council over the last 2+ years over the airport decision.....

If you feel most major issues should go to plebiscite, doesn't that make the job you are running for unnecessary?
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for your response.

Thomas Hinderks
    Executive Director
    Alberta Aviation Museum

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Diotte
    I support that sentiment. I’m hearing a great deal of cynicism about the council decision from people who tell me they are suspicious of the motives behind that decision. That's what people at the doors are expressing to me.
    Well then I'm quite confident you were good enough to inform them that numbers and "motives" aside, the plebiscite was over a year late and therefore completely invalid. Right?

Otherwise, what's to stop future plebiscites from attempting to rescind all manner of bylaws that have been "on the books" for years or even decades? Or do you support removing the 60 day limitation for any and all issues? Where is the line drawn?

If you feel that more direct democracy is required, then you are running for the wrong level of government, as that is dictated by provincial legislation, is it not?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Diotte
    Edmontonians, in two previous plebiscites, have voted for measures that supported the continued operation of the City Centre Airport.
    I certainly hope this wasn't the message you portrayed to people you have met while campaigning, because it is intellectually dishonest. The most recent plebiscite on the airport made absolutely no mention whatsoever about the continued operation of the CCA. It was a strict question about consolidation, and the vote was overwhelmingly supportive of said consolidation.

Claiming otherwise, as I said, is intellectually dishonest, deceptive and certainly disappointing from someone who claims to be about "straight talk" to the citizens.
    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 13-10-2010 at 04:55 PM.

Default Thanks, from Kerry

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hinderks View Post
    I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for your response.

Thomas Hinderks
    Executive Director
    Alberta Aviation Museum
    Thanks, Thomas, much appreciated. I look forward to speaking to you in the near future. You have raised a very important issue and I'm eager to find the best solution to it, in part by consulting with you.
    Cheers,
    -Kerry

Kerry is it true that now you have been elected you are going to revisit the City Centre Airport plebiscite?. If so I certainly hope you do'nt. There has been enough time and resources spent at city hall debating this matter. The voting process on October 18th. has more or less put this to bed. If the citizens of Edmonton had of wanted this airport kept open I am sure Mayor Mandel would not be back in his chair. We want to move on as a city not keep harping on about decisions made in the past. The people have spoken. Even the citizens that wanted a plebiscite before the election have surely come to terms with the results.I wished you well on your council run even though I am not in your ward. Hopefully you don't let me down on this.
    Last edited by Gemini; 19-10-2010 at 04:39 PM.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.